Dear Frontier Games,

My name is John Schultz and I'm an enormous Zoo Tycoon/Planet Zoo fan who just has some ideas of content I'd love to see in the game. While I know it looks like a lot, remember that GTA 5 came out in 2013 and is still getting new DLC so keep that in mind. As long as the DLC has quality, there are animal-obsessed idiots like me who will buy it! I've started with some new packs I've come up with then created some sequels to already released packs as I am a 'crackhead' for detailed zoos like the San Diego Zoo or Philadelphia Zoo.

If you just wanna see the animals I wanna try and advocate for, then skip ahead, but I want to take a second to give some reasons for their inclusion.
  • Nostalgia: Even though this takes place in the same world as Planet Coaster, this is the spiritual sequel to the original Zoo Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon 2, Zoo Tycoon for Xbox and Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection. Returning animals will get priority.
  • Community Popularity: I've taken a look at the various mod pages for the game and taken into consideration how much work was put into each mod and how popular it was.
  • Actual Popularity: The amount of specimens of a species in captivity or lack thereof.
  • Status: For me, a species that is threatened with extinction adds a lot of appeal if I'm able to see it with my own eyes in a zoo. Plus you can claim moral high ground for saving species from extinction.
  • Oddness: Seeing weird things can also bring people in just to see if it's real or not, like sloths, which is why I believe they are so popular.

Europe Pack:
  • Alpine Ibex (Capra ibex): A classic from both original zoo tycoon games, ibexes would be unique among ungulates as they would require climbing space, setting them apart from the crowd.
  • Iberian Lynx (Lynx pardinus): Another classic returning from Zoo Tycoon 2. I believe that the game is lacking in small wild cats, especially endangered ones.
  • Mediterranean Monk Seal (Monachus monachus): The aquatic update opened the door for a ton of new semi-aquatic species to finally get representation for the first time since Zoo Tycoon 2, but this guy has the X factor of being endangered without having any captive individuals in actual zoos!
  • Wisent (Bison bonasus): I'll use this excuse a lot on this list for species with similar animals already in the game, but you guys included two subspecies of tiger AND brown bear without having polar bears in the base game, so two different species of bison would be fine. One difference to point out is how wisent prefer woodlands to grassland.
  • Olm (Proteus anguinus): The exhibit species of the pack, I don't think there is a single cave-dwelling species in the game yet but a Swiss, blind salamander that's vulnerable to extinction would suffice just fine!
Middle East Pack:
  • Arabian Oryx (Oryx leucoryx): A veteran returning from Zoo Tycoon for Xbox, these guys were saved from extinction by a zoo so it would be awesome to have a chance to help in continuing that fight.
  • Caracal (Caracal caracal): A classic from Zoo Tycoon 2, this guy joins the lynx as some of the smaller cats to join the roster. The thing making the caracal unique is how it would interact with hanging enrichments, jumping around as they would at birds in the wild.
  • Hamadryas Baboon (Papio hamadryas): While the game already has the mandrill as a baboon representative, I think a more stereotypical baboon would be nice as well, especially one that can be added to the small amount of animals that inhabit deserts in the game.
  • Striped Hyena (Hyaena hyaena): A classic from Zoo Tycoon 2, these hyenas are mostly solitary unlike their relatives that are already in the game which gives them the X factor they need to pique my interest at least.
  • Hula Painted Frog (Latonia nigriventer): The exhibit species of this pack, this lesser known species were once thought extinct until they were rediscovered in the wild in 2011. For having the amphibian extinction crisis mentioned explicitly in the game, there aren't enough endangered amphibians for that sign to go along with.
India Pack:
  • Asiatic Lion (Panthera leo leo): A veteran returning for Zoo Tycoon for Xbox, I always thought that the reason that lions were only categorized as the West African population was that these guys would eventually be added. They're native to only one national park in Western India, giving them a rarity that would make them popular with zoo goers.
  • Blackbuck (Antilope cervicapra): A classic from the original Zoo Tycoon, these medium antelopes would go great with other species from the Indian subcontinent like the Indian rhinoceroses.
  • Gaur (Bos gaurus): The largest bovid species on Earth, need I say more. They would have an interspecific bonus with the blackbuck which could make an Indian safari possible.
  • Great Indian Bustard (Ardeotis nigriceps): A species of bustard, especially such an endangered one, would be able to live with large ungulates, being able to munch on invertebrates stirred up by grazing herbivores.
  • Lion-Tailed Macaque (Macaca silenus): While the Japanese macaque is cool, it's extremely generic other than the behavior of bathing in hot springs. The lion-tailed macaque brings the heat by looking like the macaque version of the mandrill, basically being the opposite argument I used for the hamadryas baboon.
  • Sambar (Rusa unicolor): While the North America Pack is adding the first deer in the moose, I think the game deserves a more basic deer species that could also go well in the Indian safari I mentioned earlier. The fact they're threatened with extinction also gives them an appeal for captive breeding.
  • Sloth Bear (Melursus ursinus): A veteran returning from Zoo Tycoon for Xbox, this walking mullet is the species I'd make the mascot of the pack just for how odd it is. The exploitation that bears in India have gone through also make them prime candidates for rescue centers, mentioning bear bile farms would also be stellar.
  • King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah): The exhibit species of the pack, these guys are the longest species of venomous snake in the world who just so happen to be vulnerable to extinction, I don't know how so many Australian snake species were in the base game but not a single cobra.
East Asia Pack:
  • Amur Leopard (Panthera pardus orientalis): The most common subspecies of leopard in captivity, it is also arguably the most endangered subspecies. (Javan and Arabian subspecies give it a run for its money)
  • Chinese Alligator (Alligator sinensis): Similar to the sambar, the North America Pack is adding an alligator species but I think that the critically endangered Chinese species also deserves some time in the spotlight.
  • Japanese Giant Salamander (Andrias japonicus): While I originally considered putting a giant salamander in the exhibit, I think that they're too big and also would be the first and only amphibian to be a habitat species. Not requiring much land or deep water, this would probably be the most unique species in the game behavior wise.
  • Père David's Deer (Elaphurus davidianus): One of the two mammal species that is extinct in the wild, they would be extremely difficult to obtain, being an endgame animal that would make your zoo one of the most famous on Earth.
  • Przewalski’s Horse (Equus ferus przewalskii): A classic returning from both the original Zoo Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon 2, these horses aren't like the bactrian camel or llama that don't use their wild ancestors.
  • Saiga (Saiga tatarica): A nose to end all noses, this critically endangered antelope is one of the most charismatic species barely anyone has heard of.
  • Takin (Budorcas taxicolor): What would happen if an ox and goat had a one night stand, these guys would be half-ton animals that need to climb in order to remain happy which I think would be absolutely awesome.
    Chinese Crocodile Lizard (Shinisaurus crocodilurus): Small and evolutionarily distinct, these guys are rather common in zoos and are a prime example of how the wildlife trade can negatively affect endangered species.
Madagascar Pack:
  • Aye-Aye (Daubentonia madagascariensis): I grew up in New Jersey and loved going to the Philadelphia Zoo as a kid where I first saw the aye-aye for the first time and pretty much fell in love. While the aye-aye is a lemur with the ecological niche of a woodpecker that looks like a demon, the aye-aye desperately needs some love.
  • Fossa (Cryptoprocta ferox): A veteran returning from Zoo Tycoon on Xbox, the apex predator of Madagascar is actually a giant mongoose. These cute cat-like predators would need a lot of climbing space in order to work off its massive reserves of energy through play.
  • Indri (Indri indri): Record holding species are extremely appealing in zoos like the crocodile and tigers but what about the largest lemur of all. The Indri is one of the most vocal species of lemur, being comparable to a howler monkey which will add natural sound to the zoo without the need for speakers. An indri's diet is so complex that there aren't any in captivity, but that limitation is bypassed so this would be the perfect addition to a primate palace.
  • Radiated Tortoise (Astrochelys radiata): A different kind of tortoise, these guys are threatened with immediate extinction along with other madagascan turtle species. The illegal pet trade has decimated the numbers of these endangered testudines with hundreds rescued at a time by the Malagasy government with the only safe place for them outside of Madagascar being zoos, well that's where we come in!
  • Giraffe Weevil (Trachelophorus giraffa): While I originally considered both the golden mantella and panther chameleon for the exhibit animal in this pack, I think this oddball definitely deserves the spotlight.
New Guinea Pack:
  • Eastern Quoll (Dasyurus viverrinus): A representative of the quolls that actually do live in New Guinea. These guys just so happen to be the cutest quolls but actually live in Tasmania.
  • Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo (Dendrolagus goodfellowi): A collection of animals wouldn't be complete without a tree kangaroo, the arboreal marsupial that has skyrocketed into mainstream culture that is also endangered.
  • Victoria Crowned Pigeon (Goura victoria): An exotic ground-dwelling bird that will be the royal of any habitat. They could also coexist with both cassowaries and tree-kangaroos.
  • Yellow-Footed Rock-Wallaby (Petrogale xanthopus): Another Australian animal representing the fauna of New Guinea, these wallabies will need plenty of boulders to hop around in their enclosure.
  • Queen Alexandra's Birdwing (Ornithoptera alexandrae): The largest species of butterfly that also happens to be endangered!

New Zealand Pack:
  • Kakapo (Strigops habroptilus): While the New Zealand pack in general is both to add more habitat bird species, I think the kakapo would be an amazing standalone species as a charismatic underdog. These chunky parrots are adorable and critically endangered, what more reason do you need?!
  • North Island Brown Kiwi (Apteryx mantelli): Being that New Zealanders are literally called Kiwis, I think (along with kakapos) that a kiwi species would fit fantastically in the game. Like most of the animals in the pack, it wouldn't require much space and would wow spectators with its odd behaviors.
  • Takahē (Porphyrio hochstetteri): A bird not many people know about, these flightless swamphens are tied for heaviest bird in New Zealand with the Kakapo. All these birds would go fantastically with showing the negativity that invasive species can bring to a pre-established ecosystem.
  • Yellow-Eyed Penguin (Megadyptes antipodes): Penguins are always a crowd favorite, especially the rarest penguin species on Earth.
  • Tuatara (Sphenodon punctatus): Another staple of New Zealand, tuataras may look like lizards but are actually part of an ancient lineage of reptiles called rhynchocephalians. As the only modern representative of an entire order, it's only natural to want to have one in a zoo.
Arctic Pack II:
  • Hooded Seal (Cystophora cristata): When one thinks of the arctic, seals commonly come to mind, but the Aquatic pack wasn't released at that point so we got stuck with the dall sheep. While I'd prefer the hooded seal as it's the most exotic arctic seal, any seal from the arctic would at least make me happy at the end of the day.
  • Musk Ox (Ovibos moschatus): A classic returning from Zoo Tycoon 2, these giant sheep/goat relatives are the closest thing we can get to a woolly mammoth in the game so why the heck not.
  • Walrus (Odobenus rosmarus): A classic returning from both the original Zoo Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon 2, walrus are a staple arctic species with a charismatic face and a moustache to rival Zeus.
  • Wolverine (Gulo gulo): A classic returning from Zoo Tycoon 2, these animals would be a fantastic envoy for the negative effects of climate change. They're also just really cool, that's all.
South America Pack II:
  • Andean Bear (Tremarctos ornatus): A classic returning from Zoo Tycoon 2, these guys are the last extant short-faced bears which can bring you as close to the extinct arctodus as you can get.
  • Bush Dog (Speothos venaticus): These short-legged canids are like wild dachshunds with just as much energy and personality.
  • Capybara (Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris): A veteran returning from Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection, these are the largest rodents in the world which is enough to make me want them included.
  • Greater Rhea (Rhea americana): Another large flightless bird, these guys would be representatives of the great South American grasslands like the Pampas and the Cerrado.
  • Maned Wolf (Chrysocyon brachyurus): Slit foxes are a must just because of the unique behavior they exhibit and their bark-roar.
  • Ocelot (Leopardus pardalis): Another small cat to join the Iberian lynx and caracal, they are able to climb like monkeys while being as cute as a normal house cat.
  • Red-Faced Spider Monkey (Ateles paniscus): While I love capuchins, I think spider monkeys would make a bigger reaction with their prehensile tail.
  • Peleides Blue Morpho (Morpho peleides): These blue beauts are a prime example of aposematism as their bright blue wings show predators they're poisonous.
Australia Pack II:
  • Emu (Dromaius novaehollandiae): While I think it was the right move to go with the cassowary, I still think the emu deserves to be included just for how common it is and how charismatic their movements are.
  • Little Penguin (Eudyptula minor): The smallest species of penguin which burrow to hide their young, need I say more.
  • Numbat (Myrmecobius fasciatus): A veteran returning from Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection, these hyperactive marsupials deserve inclusion if not for their yawns where they stick their tongues all the way out.
  • Perentie (Varanus giganteus): A veteran returning from Zoo Tycoon on Xbox, this would be a desert-dwelling version of nile monitor to spice up any Outback areas in your zoo.
  • Short-Beaked Echidna (Tachyglossus aculeatus): A monotreme, these egg-laying mammals would be added to the roster of myrmecophagous mammals that can be added to zoos.
  • Southern Hairy-Nosed Wombat (Lasiorhinus latifrons): A veteran returning from Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection, I'd rather have this as it is the perfect balance between the two other wombat species, not being too threatened or too basic.
  • Tasmanian Devil (Sarcophilus harrisii): A veteran returning from Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection, Tasmanian devils are the largest carnivorous marsupials!
  • Thorny Devil (Moloch horridus): These little lizards are some of the weirdest on Earth with their bodies covered in spikes.
Aquatic Pack II:
  • Emperor Penguin (Aptenodytes forsteri): A classic returning from both the original Zoo Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon 2, I think the morphological differences are enough to differentiate them from king penguins.
  • Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus): The original chimera and a veteran from Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection, platypi are just large enough to need a smaller exhibit with a nice pond.
  • Shoebill (Balaeniceps rex): These birds freak people out by looking evil, let's change that perception by making people able to enter their enclosure as they are basically the most docile bird in Africa.
  • Yangtze Giant Softshell Turtle (Rafetus swinhoei): The largest freshwater turtle on Earth which is probably the most endangered one as well with only 2 known to exist, who doesn't want to save a river monster!
  • Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum): Another critically endangered amphibian that also happens to be one of the most popular animals at the moment!
Southeast Asia II:
  • Asian Small-Clawed Otter (Aonyx cinereus): To counter the giant otter, I present the smallest species of otter. These guys are rather common in zoos and are adaptable enough to have established a population in the bustling city of Singapore.
  • Black-Crested Gibbon (Nomascus concolor): A classic returning from Zoo Tycoon 2, I don't get why gibbons aren't in the game when other agile apes like chimps and bonobos are. I only picked this particular species because of nostalgia.
  • False Gharial (Tomistoma schlegelii): With its closest living relative already in the zoo, might as well add its generalist cousin into the mix.
  • Fishing Cat (Prionailurus viverrinus): A semi-aquatic small cat, this guy would be a perfect addition for a mangrove section of your zoo.
  • Javan Rhinoceros (Rhinoceros sondaicus): Having representation in all previous Zoo Tycoon games, I literally couldn't resist advocating for this island king.
  • Saola (Pseudoryx nghetinhensis): One of the most elusive large mammals on Earth, this critically endangered bovid would let you have a unicorn in your zoo.
  • Sumatran Rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis): A veteran returning from Zoo Tycoon on Xbox, these guys are the closest thing to a woolly rhinoceros you can have in your zoo.
  • Reticulated Python (Malayopython reticulatus): A veteran returning from Zoo Tycoon on Xbox, the longest snake on Earth would be a no brainer.
Africa Pack II:
  • African Forest Elephant (Loxodonta cyclotis): A veteran from Zoo Tycoon on Xbox, all I want is for the distinction between African bush and forest elephants to finally be made!
  • Black Rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis): A classic returning from both the original Zoo Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon 2, this critically endangered behemoth would emphasize the differences between the two African rhino species.
  • Ethiopian Wolf (Canis simensis): A classic returning from Zoo Tycoon 2, this Ethiopian native will add some reddish flair to alpine areas of your zoo.
  • Honey Badger (Mellivora capensis): A classic returning from Zoo Tycoon 2, the ratel will rattle guests with its incredible attributes and behaviors.
  • Nile Crocodile (Crocodylus niloticus): A classic returning from Zoo Tycoon 2, might as well add the apex predator of Africa as a contrast to the saltwater crocodile.
  • Scimitar Oryx (Oryx dammah): A classic returning from Zoo Tycoon 2, this is the only other species of mammal that's extinct in the wild which will expand on the desert attributes add from the last Africa Pack.
  • Secretarybird (Sagittarius serpentarius): A classic returning from Zoo Tycoon 2, the only bird of prey to be mainly terrestrial while still being able to fly.
  • Naked Mole-Rat (Heterocephalus glaber): I have been to many zoos in my life and one of the most common aspects of each one was a tunnel exhibit with a colony of naked mole-rats.
North America Pack II:
  • American Black Bear (Ursus americanus): A classic from the original Zoo Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon on Xbox, these crafty bears will expand on animal enrichment with their high intelligence and active mind.
  • Bighorn Sheep (Ovis canadensis): A classic from the original Zoo Tycoon, this is the dall sheep but able to live in taiga, forest, temperate, grassland and desert.
  • Black-Footed Ferret (Mustela nigripes): With the addition of black-tailed prairie dogs, might as well add their most prolific predator which was once extinct in the wild.
  • Collared Peccary (Pecari tajacu): American deserts don't get enough attention, attention that the collared peccary would be more than happy to give.
  • Greater Prairie Chicken (Tympanuchus cupido): A bird that roams the prairies of the Midwest, they have caused massive legal battles over habitat protections.
  • Red Wolf (Canis rufus): One of the most endangered mammals on Earth, these wolves are facing an uphill battle to get both recognition as a species and even basic protections to help them recover.
  • Virginia Opossum (Didelphis virginiana): Being the biggest marsupial in the Americas, these omnivores need to get more attention in a positive manner as they're seen as vermin.
  • American Burying Beetle (Nicrophorus americanus): A critically endangered scavenger once native all over North America, these guys are vanguarded from extinction by zoos so why wouldn't you want to have a population of breeding beetles.

I'd buy all of these packs. Maybe more animals that I could have ever dreamed of, and it would be amazing to get half this, but yeah, I'd definitely buy them all!

New Zealand Pack:
Neither the kakapo or yellow-eyed penguin are allowed to be kept in captivity, so neither is likely to make it in. The little blue penguin would be a good alternative to the yellow-eyed, if you take it out of Australia. To replace the kakapo I'd go with the buff weka, New Zealand fur seal, or even the domestic kunekune pig which has made it into a few international "exotic" collections.

What about an avian pack with:

1. Bald Eagle
  2. Harpy Eagle
  3. Andean Condor
  4. King Vulture
  5. Roseate Spoonbill
  6. Scarlet Ibis
  7. Scarlet Macaw
  8. Blue-and-Gold Macaw
  9. Eurasian Eagle Owl
  10. Steller's Sea Eagle
  11. Great Indian Hornbill
  12. Victoria Crowned Pigeon

Last edited:
I´d like to see an South American Animal Pack next year. Containing

1. Capybara (using the new Underwater Plant Feeder)
2. Coati (as one of the rare aboral SA animals in the game)
3. Three-toed Sloth (bringing new animations to the game)
4. Golden Lionhead-Tamarin (as an highly endangered animal plus they are bringing smaller animals to PZ like the meerkat)
5. Howler Monkey (as there is a lack of monkeys ingame)
6. Amazonian Manatee (using the new Underwater Plant Feeder)
7. Ocelot (as a small cat we don't have in the game yet)
8. Exhibit: Leaf-Cutter-Ants

I also wouldn't mind something like a Cerrado Pack more focussing on SOuth American Savannah animals like

1. Maned Wolf
2. Greater Rhea
3. Collared Peccari
4. Amardillo

Last edited:
Edit: I misread the thread. My bad.
Dromedary Camel
Collared Peccary
Serval
Klipspringer
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Perenti
Cape Hare

Exhibit animal: Moloch(other choices include the Couch's Spadefoot Toad and the Sidewinder snake)

Last edited:
Edit: I misread the thread. My bad.
Dromedary Camel
Collared Peccary
Serval
Klipspringer
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Perenti
Cape Hare

Exhibit animal: Moloch(other choices include the Couch's Spadefoot Toad and the Sidewinder snake)
It's probably silly to reply to my own post but I also realized that a wetlands pack would also be a good idea, as wetlands are a key habitat worldwide and you have a lot of animals to pull from, though it would also have a lot of crossover with potential aquatic and aviary packs. I can definitely see the Capybara and several birds in such a pack.

Nostalgia (Just to cover what ZT1 and ZT2 have but not PZ)
1) Dromedary Camel
2) Black Rhinoceros
3) Leopard (ZT1 have it, i prefer Amur)
4) Black Bear (American)
5) Markhor
6) American big horn sheep
7) Prezwaski wild horse
8) Gibbons

Top Bottom