News ANNOUNCING ELITE DANGEROUS: HORIZONS

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Has it been confirmed if we can 'walk around' leaving the pilots seat?
Or do we control the buggy via video from the ship?

I really want to be excited, but I guess once bitten twice shy. There is no actual footage, the 'news' is just FD repeating that they want to release an expansion 12 months after release(which they always said). Previous trailers are nothing like the game and include actions/activities not even in the main game. Very few of the core game features used to gain funding for this game have yet to appear, and no comment on their absence...

...but of course 'Pre-order now available'...hmmm.

Really? so to get the full game you need to pay out another £50? Planet landings, missions, exploring use to be part of the game in the old versions of elite.
Will this mean another £50 further down the line to get planet landings like Earth or some other core part of the older games they have "left out" for now.

Yes but SC is not even complete yet, only features are "arena commander" and the hangar, they don't have the Universe yet and it probably won't be released for years judging by their pace, that's why I'm avoiding Star Citizen altogether

True the pre-order comparison is applicable :p
I haven't backed SC either but still it is hard to compare them as they are development mirrors, one is released but still in development the other will release (allegedly) complete

Last edited:
A notice will go out when it's available. Typically there will be an option in the launcher to install and launch the Beta version once it is ready to go.

Cheers.

I'm thinking current Elite beta rather than the Horizons one, presumably you can just log into the standard Elite beta now even though it's prbably just the same as live.

Sounds exciting!
As Ive only just purchased a decent computer to actually start playing Elite on, Im a bit overwhelmed :) And as for all you chaps saying your Missus wont be happy...me and my old man play together....pity I have to share my ship with him :)

Game at release, beta access, starter ship, hangar and Arena commander playable now = $54
The rest is optional and in no way locks any part of the released game
Subscription has some benefits but does not conatin anything you cannot do without so a slightly skewed comparison.

OK then: what is the cost of a year playing Star Citizen? Basic package? $182,--, or £116,--. Two years? $344.20 or £220.64

What is the cost of a year playing Elite Dangerous? £35,--. Two years? £75,--

Still looks like a good deal to me.

Last edited:
Which is a bit of a reorganisation of how the expansions were described previously. I think most people got the impression before that you could buy into a 'planetary landing' expansion, or a 'walking around the place' expansion, or both or neither. What's described now with 'seasons' is more of a time frame of updates as they arrive, without an ability to pick and choose the things you want. Nobody will be able to get the 'season 3' update without also buying into the 'season 2' update. This totally makes sense from a development perspective but is a fair bit rougher from a consumer choice perspective.

This is the idea I had of how things would work out as well. One (probably full price) expansion for PLs, one for walking around. It's quite dissapointing that everything was done let us believe that, and then that it tooks some harassing in this thread to get MB to give a straight answer as to whether planets with an atmosphere would be in Horizons at all.

OK then: what is the cost of a year playing Star Citizen? Basic package? $182,--, or £116,--. Two years? $344.20 or £220.64

What is the cost of a year playing Elite Dangerous? £35,--. Two years? £75,--

Still looks like a good deal to me.

SC is not subscription based, there is a subs option but it is not required to play the game, sort of like how 'Rift' is ftp but you can get extra stuff by having a premium sub.
So SC is advertised to launch with FPS, landing, combat etc etc for $54 and no subs

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom