Any luck running OpenCompositeACC + OpenXR toolkit?

Haven’t played for a while and read this thread…. I’m blown away by how good this is! I’ve spent years tweaking VR on my Samsung Odyssey and the steamvr interface always been the only problem with WMR…. If you have a WMR, you absolutely need to try this, it’s a game changer….

Digging this out again. I did some testing last night, because I wanted to see if OpenComposite helps with the struggling I still have near Odyssey settlements (Reverb G2, so WMR). I wanted to see if I might be able to dabble in some on-foot gameplay without a) wanting to vomit when approaching a settlement and b) resorting to switching to flatscreen for the on-foot portions (which is a pain, because my VR/HOTAS gear is not at my desk).

Sadly, my testing results were... inconclusive. I think I got compareable settings in both SteamVR and OpenComposite; SteamVR was running at 70% (so around 2500x2500 per eye), and I was using the fixed foveated rendering injection. In OpenComposite, I set the supersampleRatio to 0.7 and used foveated rendering in OpenXR, but no upscaling. I am not exactly sure it is all exactly the same, but the visuals looked comparable.

When hovering near the settlement in a ship and strafing left to right, in SteamVR my framerate tanks (I have no number, but the headset displays the red icon) and everything is stuttery as hell. Instant vomit.

With OpenComposite + OpenXR Toolkit, the framerate tanks, too. The overlay shows 30 fps, but strangely the movement from side to side is smooth, no stuttering. I would still be very playable even at 30 fps, which is unbearable in SteamVR. I wonder why that is.

The problem was disembarking from the ship. With OpenComposite, when holding tools or weapons and moving, the tool or weapon was jittering like crazy. when aiming down sights and strafing, the weapon would lag to the side, no aiming possible. It was really weird.

I have subsequently disabled OpenXR toolkit and played the driver version dance, but no change. I suspect a bug in OpenComposite, but I cannot verify that. Sadly, there is no versioning in OpenComposite. I made the mistake of pressing "update" without thinking when starting it, and now there is no way to roll back to an older release... because there are no releases - every commit, it seems, is automatically compiled and pushed to the launcher 🤦‍♂️. There is nothing older to download, and the launcher has no option to install an older version, so I cannot test if this problem existed in earlier versions on my system :-(.

Soo... yeah. I'm pretty confident OpenComposite+OpenXR would make settlement gameplay workable, but with this jittering bug it's impossible to play. Anyone else got this?

To be clear, this does not happen when running through SteamVR as it is "supposed" to be :). This is an issue when running OpenComposite, which in no way will be supported by Frontier :). Also... did you link to a different issue? The linked one has nothing to do with it ;)

To be clear, this does not happen when running through SteamVR as it is "supposed" to be :). This is an issue when running OpenComposite, which in no way will be supported by Frontier :). Also... did you link to a different issue? The linked one has nothing to do with it ;)
Whoops - I totally did 😅 My apologies!

(I’ve just been updating the bug report thread and had the wrong link stored in memory)

The expired report was this: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/47168 though I can’t find the video.

Having read through this thread, I thought I'd make a concerted effort to get get OpenComposite up and running on my setup and I wanted to to post my experience for others reading this.

Pertinent setup info -
Ryzen 5600
3060 ti (undervolted and overclocked slightly; WIP)
32GB 3600Mhz Ram
Quest 2 via USB Link
Elite Dangerous Odyssey via Steam

So I'm not sure if we are allowed to mention "that other open source launcher for ED" but due to having ED via Steam, I think this was the only way/easiest way to get OpenComposite running for my setup due to Steam login. I should also point out that while I play Odyssey only, I don't do the on foot missions. I do get out on foot on planets and on my fleet carrier/stations, but I quickly lost interest in the settlement based combat due to the floating 2D screen. So my experience is based on mainly space flight and srv game play.

I've not bothered yet with the toolkit/toolbox/whatever as due to the aliasing in EDO I've found any foveated rendering tech to just exacerbate the shimmering. So just OpenComposite for me right now.

Performance; I didn't bother testing with fps/latency numbers. I wanted my testing to be about my experience. Like Helmut, I would say the experience is similar to SteamVR, feels a little smoother maybe?

But ... stability. Now this one is a big one for me. Unless I'm doing CZ/AX/combat I used to prefer Virtual Desktop for just hooning around/trading/etc. It solved many issues like the shadows flickering on station exteriors, getting access to my desktop for trade info or just to look something up and most importantly, I could play for hours without some stupid image doubling nonsense kicking in after a random drop in performance which could be after 5 minutes or 5 hours and was only fixable by turning the headset off/on or restarting the game/SteamVR. It was a noticeable step down in graphic quality compared to USB but not so bad I couldn't live with it.
With OpenComposite, I can play for hours without random graphic issues stopping play. The issues don't appear anywhere near as often, and when they do, they happen for a few seconds and then correct themselves.

So yeah, I'll be sticking with OpenComposite if only just for the enhanced stability.

Can anyone help? I'm trying to load ED Horizons 3.8 with EDprofiler in OpenXR & OpenComposite but it's failing with this....

Screenshot (217).pngScreenshot (218).png

......I can load ED Horizons 4.0 from the launch option in Steam and it works. There's no way I can 'target' ED Horizons 3.8 from within Steam :(

......I can load ED Horizons 4.0 from the launch option in Steam and it works. There's no way I can 'target' ED Horizons 3.8 from within Steam :(
Can you create a shortcut to EDLaunch.exe? Then you just get the menu and you can choose. Is this with EDProfiler in the mix? I could never get EDProfiler to play nice on any of my builds so I stay away from it. I certainly wouldn't use it with OpenXR+OpenC. Maybe others have been more successful.

Thanks aXeL....duh! I'm stupid, never thought about the EDLaunch.exe :(

Okay, created the shortcut to EDLaunch.exe and selected 'ELITE DANGEROUS : HORIZONS' ......... no go, just returns the two errors seen in my screenshots post above!

Select 'ELITE DANGEROUS : HORIZONS [4]' from the launcher .... and it works perfectly! Trouble is I don't want this Odyssey branch of ED due to the obvious performance issues :(

EDProfiler is nowhere in this mix. Stumped!

EDIT...ignore second statement above both have stopped working completely now.

Last edited:
That's a PIA, I'd be breaking my keyboard in two at this point.

I'm not sure WMR can be 'uninstalled'. I think that would be like trying to uninstall Windows Explorer; it's part of the build.

I'm not sure what went wrong so, might I suggest, next time - once the base build is working; backup all the relevant folders.

BTW, don't forget to backup your key bindings folder before you wipe the game.

BTW, the OpenComposite error looks like it thinks OpenXR isn't there. You can test if OpenXR is working by loading the OpenXR Dev Tools and, at the top, is an option to test the OpenXR runtime.

Update - gonna have to pass on trying to get OpenXR & OpenComposite working on my system :(

No matter what I try, for whatever version of ED, it fails to load with two error messages (and setting ED back to use 'SteamVR' in OpenComposite borks the 'old' way of starting the game (SteamVR reports no headset found))

Shame.....it did work at one point (albeit in Horizons 4 (Odyssey graphics)) and seemed very smooth even with very low FPS but I can't seem to even replicate that small success!

Ah well :(

Many thanks to aXeL for his help :)

Bob

That is so weird, especially if you reinstalled. There's got to be something else going on then. My OpenXR+OpenC combo is more reliable than SteamVR

Really sorry to hear. BTW, send your feedback to the Devs. They keep snagging lists... and act on them ( ahem - FDev? )

Okay....another roll of the dice.....

Reinstalled OpenXR and related files.
Uninstalled SteamVR.
Start, from EDlaunch, Horizons [4]
Works great!
Very stable and smooth but need to do some finer tweaking to graphics.

If I select just Horizons (which I believe will be version 3.8) from the launcher it crashes on start with OpenXR errors. So no go.

I could just stick with Horizons [4] I'm very happy with it......but my game buddy is on Odyssey and therefore unreachable.

(He did exactly the same as myself (practically identical PC) switching to OpenXR for Odyssey but it crashes on start with the same errors as I have when trying to start the game in Horizons 3.8)

I guess the only way is for him to use steamVR (but very prone to crashing) and on Horizons 3.8?

Trying to 'downgrade' (he unticked the Odyssey DLC) from Odyssey to Horizons 3.8 THEN update that to Horizons [4] doesn't seem possible????

What a palava!

For months I was frustrated because I couldn't get OpenComposite+OpenXr Toolkit to work with Elite... I always get the same error messages as you Bobtuck. Finally yesterday decided to do 2 things and I don't know which one is the keyy, but now It works beatifully in Odyssey. I uninstalled the Steam version of Elite and installed the standalone. Then I tried and it worked!!!!!

After that I installed as usual the HUD mod and then I got again the two errors!! It seems it was that all the time. Somehow the mod changes some shaders that make opencomposite not work. Simply told Elite to restore all files and it works again.

now, reprojecting at 30fps, with fov render I can run Elite at max resolution with smooth fps. It never looked so beautiful and detailed. Definitely I recommend stop using SteamVR and switch to OpenXR. For me the big game changers are FOV render and lock reprojection at a framerate I can substain.

That's interesting, I run EDO without Steam and EDH via Steam ( long story ). EDH works fine with OpenC, loaded through a Steam shortcut. I wonder what's different about mine. Could it be that I don't actually load Steam because I'm just using the game shortcut ( although it is the Steam provided one ).

My God Frontier is a mess!

Following on from the above couple of posts I've just spent a wonderful several minutes (that I'll never get back) trying to fathom out how the hell to ditch Steam and simply handle everything (downloads, game starts etc.) through Frontier instead.

Oh dear......I'm never going to go back there again!

Top Bottom