[Application] EDJP and EDJPO

I've updated EDJP to 2.3.2, available here

Changes include:
  • Various interface improvements (still ugly, but very slightly less ugly)
  • Added shortcut to copy current waypoint to clipboard (CTRL+O)
  • Added option to auto-start EDJP on execution
  • Exploration Data now wiped on any sale because journal sales are unreliable (again)
  • Added details to EDSM output to show bodies counts where known
  • Added System Clipboard that can import from clipboard or .route files
  • Added option to survey "next" boxel based on current system (incrementing X -> Y -> Z)
  • Navigate System Clipboard list with SHIFT+CTRL+[ and SHIFT+CTRL+]
  • Copy from System Clipboard with SHIFT+CTRL+O

System Clipboard is a separate list of systems that can be used for navigation. I envisage a couple of usage scenarios - you could paste in there a carrier route rather than keeping it in a spreadsheet or whatever (and you can paste directly from a spansh route), or if you plot a route that goes halfway around the galaxy at the moment it's faffy to neutron route between waypoints. Now, you can make your route as normal, optimize it if necessary and then put in System Clipboard instead - then use neutron router to plot to the next destination shown on System Clipboard.

That "next boxel" thing is great, but sometimes there are gaps in the boxels rendering the current implementation useless.
Would it be possible to add a keyboard shortcut or button that increments the boxel?

Or maybe I'm blind and missed something? I only see the "next boxel" in the boxel surveyor settings dialogue.

Last edited:
That "next boxel" thing is great, but sometimes there are gaps in the boxels rendering the current implementation useless.
Would it be possible to add a keyboard shortcut or button that increments the boxel?

Or maybe I'm blind and missed something? I only see the "next boxel" in the boxel surveyor settings dialogue.
Yeh at the moment it's only in the boxel survey dialogue. The problem with incrementing boxel in the "current" boxel is at the moment a lot of the settings for the boxel are stored in the survey itself and some are also generated at point of creation - that data would either end up meaningless / causing problems / or lost if you ended up going back to the original boxel.

I'll ponder it some more. Might be that I add a hook on boxel explorer to start a survey in selected boxel or something like that - then you can go whatever direction you want.

Well, currently I'm in a sector that's going

AA-A f - no
BA-A f - no
CA-A f - yes
DA-A f - yes
YE-A f - yes
ZE-A f - yes
AF-A f - no
BF-A f - no
WJ-A f - yes

All with just one system. So personally I think a + button next to the "next boxel" inside the boxel survey dialogue would be great.

On a side note: EDJP remembers the position of its main window quite well when activating that option, but it opens all other windows on my main screen. Is it possible to make those subwindows use the same position as the main window?

Well, currently I'm in a sector that's going

AA-A f - no
BA-A f - no
CA-A f - yes
DA-A f - yes
YE-A f - yes
ZE-A f - yes
AF-A f - no
BF-A f - no
WJ-A f - yes

All with just one system. So personally I think a + button next to the "next boxel" inside the boxel survey dialogue would be great.

On a side note: EDJP remembers the position of its main window quite well when activating that option, but it opens all other windows on my main screen. Is it possible to make those subwindows use the same position as the main window?

OK I will think more on the boxel options. Maybe I just need to rethink some of the things it's doing to make it easier to skip a boxel, aybe even support multi-boxel surveys properly.

Screen positioning, never even occurred to me that might be an issue. I think the size of some of the forms means it won't be ideal using main window position, but should be easy enough to make windows remember their last location and open there.

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but after closing and relaunching EDJP the Current Value button for Exploration Value Data will need show the value of all data, so upon relaunching it it will show my data value as 0 even though I have 100mil

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but after closing and relaunching EDJP the Current Value button for Exploration Value Data will need show the value of all data, so upon relaunching it it will show my data value as 0 even though I have 100mil
I'll take a look and see what might be going on.

Hello all. :)

I just discovered EDJP and have a few basic questions:

A boxel seems to be a cube. How big is such a cube? For example, when I open the Boxel Explorer, I see a large cube divided into many small ones.

What does the big cube represent? Is the big cube the complete galaxy, and the small cubes are sectors in the galaxy?

You can't see any systems in the cube. So I have no idea in which sector of the galaxy a cube is located or how big it is.

Or does the large cube refer to something else? For example, if I open the Boxel Survey, I can select the Sol system. If I then create a route, is that then a cube that extends around the Sol system?

Would that be the large cube under the Boxel Explorer option?

Hello all. :)

I just discovered EDJP and have a few basic questions:

A boxel seems to be a cube. How big is such a cube? For example, when I open the Boxel Explorer, I see a large cube divided into many small ones.

What does the big cube represent? Is the big cube the complete galaxy, and the small cubes are sectors in the galaxy?

You can't see any systems in the cube. So I have no idea in which sector of the galaxy a cube is located or how big it is.

Or does the large cube refer to something else? For example, if I open the Boxel Survey, I can select the Sol system. If I then create a route, is that then a cube that extends around the Sol system?

Would that be the large cube under the Boxel Explorer option?

In Boxel Explorer, the big cube represents a sector. Each sector is broken up into a series of cubes-within-cubes (boxels). There is a much better guide of how boxels work here.

For most people, you don't need to know what a boxel is - but it can be helpful for explorers searching specific thingsor areas, or doing methodical searches etc.

Also, Boxel Explorer uses the procgen name for systems - so you won't see Sol displayed, but it's procgen name. Every system has a procgen name, but some have alternate names - like Sol (or, most of the bubble).

Just released version 2.4.0

Things I can remember:
  • Removed Curation score from GEC search as no longer displayed in GEC
  • Added ability to customize filenames for screenshots (including sub-folder support)
  • Previously in a boxel survey "Ignore systems currently in EDSM" would only check for systems in EDSM at the point the survey was added. When ticked, this option will now also check each jump meaning systems added later to EDSM will be skipped, and it will work better in masscodes e-h
  • Added ability to include contained boxels within a survey. You can only go up to 3 levels deep, but that will still be 585 boxels and means a d-mass boxel could include all c/b/a boxels if you choose.
  • Added a new keypress (default CTRL+L) to jump to next boxel in a multi-boxel survey. There is no button to go back a boxel - to do that, open up the existing boxel survey and you'll have a dropdown of available boxels.
  • Added UI button to jump to next boxel in multi-boxel survey.
  • Neutron routing will assume start is your current system and destination is whatever is on clipboard (if it looks like a system name). It will also remember the last jump range you specified (but be aware this won't reset if you change ship)
  • It will now remember all window positions, not just main. You can hold LEFT SHIFT before clicking a button to not have position restored.
  • Added nearest carrier search for IGAU/DSSA carriers
  • Change overlay text colour in config UI instead of messing with config file
  • Added button to System Clipboard to copy all remaining systems to clipboard. (You can use this to copy a route to clipboard instead of fiddling with route JSON)
  • System Clipboard is now commander-specific instead of global across all commanders. This means any current system clipboard pre-2.4.0 will be lost. (You can restore an existing one by closing EDJP and then copying sysclipboard.jsonl in DATA to the relevant commander folder (Fxxxxxx))
  • Minor improvements to Boxel Explorer, including ability to enter an ID64 instead of system name

What is the best procedure for a version change to take over the existing data of the old version? Install in a new directory and then c&p which files? Thanks in advance for the info and also for the great tool.

What is the best procedure for a version change to take over the existing data of the old version? Install in a new directory and then c&p which files? Thanks in advance for the info and also for the great tool.
If it was me, I'd just copy new version into same folder and be done with it - everything except system clipboard (as noted above) should work.

I guess to be safe, you could just zip up contents of current install beforehand so you can restore if everything blows up :)

I'm having a problem w/ v2.4.0 EDJP regarding the Route Helper: When I click the Make Route button nothing happens other than the opening of another instance of EDJP. In reading previous msgs here I was expecting a new dialog asking me to insert a list from my clipboard. But that's not happening. What I'm really trying to do is insert a list that I can Optimize. The Optimize button works but I'm unsure how to create a .route file that it will read. Hints, tips, and tricks welcome. Thanks!

I'm having a problem w/ v2.4.0 EDJP regarding the Route Helper: When I click the Make Route button nothing happens other than the opening of another instance of EDJP. In reading previous msgs here I was expecting a new dialog asking me to insert a list from my clipboard. But that's not happening. What I'm really trying to do is insert a list that I can Optimize. The Optimize button works but I'm unsure how to create a .route file that it will read. Hints, tips, and tricks welcome. Thanks!

When you click a button on EDJP it'll try and restore the previous window position. In some circumstances this can lead it to being offscreen (changed resolution, different monitor setup, sunspots, etc). Try holding Left Shift and then clicking Make Route - this should force it to not reposition the window when it opens.

Let me know if that doesn't resolve it.

Your commander name is familiar to me. Do you stream on twitch, or maybe hang out in twitch chats?

Also "Shift+Windows-key+left (or right) arrow" moves the active window from one screen to the other. Also worth trying if the other thing doesn't work.

When you click a button on EDJP it'll try and restore the previous window position. In some circumstances this can lead it to being offscreen (changed resolution, different monitor setup, sunspots, etc). Try holding Left Shift and then clicking Make Route - this should force it to not reposition the window when it opens.

Let me know if that doesn't resolve it.

Your commander name is familiar to me. Do you stream on twitch, or maybe hang out in twitch chats?
Thanx for the prompt reply, Matt!
Yes, I do stream ED regularly, albeit via Hawaiian time (lol). You'll find me there five (5) nights a week as 2020HeinSite.

It's not so much the windows location thing that's giving me trouble tho... it's figuring out how to use the Make Route or Optimize buttons. I'm probably missing something quite simple in the process because things are just not sinking into my aged brain. A step by step explanation a 10-yr old would understand might be what I really need.

I should add here that all the other things I'm discovering about EDJP I really like a lot, i.e., Neutron Route, Boxel Survey, ELW List and all the information provided on screen. You did a great job with this! EDJP is now a regular side app every time I launch Elite.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanx for the prompt reply, Matt!
Yes, I do stream ED regularly, albeit via Hawaiian time (lol). You'll find me there five (5) nights a week as 2020HeinSite.
Ahhh, I should've got that, I semi-frequently lurk in your streams :)

It's not so much the windows location thing that's giving me trouble tho... it's figuring out how to use the Make Route or Optimize buttons. I'm probably missing something quite simple in the process because things are just not sinking into my aged brain. A step by step explanation a 10-yr old would understand might be what I really need.

I'm going to make a resolution for 2024 - write documentation for EDJP, BioInsights, and maybe the other plugins.

OK, so when you hit Make Route you initially set a filename and then have an option to overwrite or append if the route already exists.

For the actual route creation part, you have 3 options:

• Select systems on Galaxy Map
  • Plot routes to systems on Galaxy map
  • Import from Clipboard

There are also 2 check boxes:
  • Look up missing coordinates on EDSM
  • Estimate coordinates if not available

The first option "select systems on galaxy map", after you hit Process you'd go into galaxy map and simply select the systems (using the "Set Target" button down right side after you click the system). This doesn't provide coordinates for the system but does provide the id64 which can be used as a rough guide to coordinates. This method is better suited to maing a route that crosses a lot of the galaxy.
The second option "plot route to systems" is similar but you plot a route to the systems rather than just selecting them. This has the advantage that it provides the exact coordinates of the system but the disadvantage that it's cumbersome over large distances. It's only really useful within same sector or maybe neighbouring ones.
The last option, you can simply copy the data to the clipboard and it'll attempt to import it. There are 4 formats you can use (CSV format is fine, or you can copy onto clipboard straight from Excel / Google sheets):
System Name
System Name, X, Y, Z
System Name, X, Y, Z, ID64
System Name, ID64

If you select "Look up missing coordinates on EDSM", then for any system that gets aded to the route through any of those methods but that doesn't have coordinates available, it'll try and look the system up on EDSM for it's coordinates. If there's a lot of systems, it'll take a while to do lookups so give it a second.
If you select "Estimate coordinates if not available", then it'll attempt to estimate the coordinates based on the ID64 if it's available. This has varying degrees of accuracy. For a d-mass system, it'll be within +/-40 LY on each axis. For an h-mass system it'll be +/-640LY on each axis - and all h-mass systems within that sector would estimate to same place. For a galactic-wide adventure, this is likely good enough. For a localalised sector hunt, not so much.

Once you have your route, you may want to Optimize it. For this, each system has to have coordinates of some form. You simply select your previously generated route and open it, then select your starting waypoint - it can be useful to add your current system to your route for this purpose. You can optionally select an end point - if you want to end up back where you started, or at a specific system use this or if you don't care then leave it. You also have the option of using the distance between system or the estimated number of jumps between them based on your ships jump range. The latter provides slightly better routes if you're not neutron jumping (a 70LY jump and a 90LY jump are both going to be 2 jumps if your jump range is 50LY, for example), but less useful if you plan to neutron boost.

Once optimized, you can then hit Follow Route and load up your optimized route. Once you hit each waypoint it'll automatically copy the next to clipboard ready to be plotted. Alternatively, you can hit Import on the System Clipboard section and load the route into that - this will allow you to then use neutron routes to jump between waypoints, but won't automatically move to next system - once you reach a waypoint you'll have to push the next button to skip to next waypoint (and copy to clipboard). You can hit Neutron Route straight after and it should pre-populate both source and destination system (and remember jump range if you previously set it).

Let me know if any of it is unclear.

Ahhh, I should've got that, I semi-frequently lurk in your streams :)

I'm going to make a resolution for 2024 - write documentation for EDJP, BioInsights, and maybe the other plugins.

OK, so when you hit Make Route you initially set a filename and then have an option to overwrite or append if the route already exists.

For the actual route creation part, you have 3 options:

• Select systems on Galaxy Map
  • Plot routes to systems on Galaxy map
  • Import from Clipboard

There are also 2 check boxes:
  • Look up missing coordinates on EDSM
  • Estimate coordinates if not available

The first option "select systems on galaxy map", after you hit Process you'd go into galaxy map and simply select the systems (using the "Set Target" button down right side after you click the system). This doesn't provide coordinates for the system but does provide the id64 which can be used as a rough guide to coordinates. This method is better suited to maing a route that crosses a lot of the galaxy.
The second option "plot route to systems" is similar but you plot a route to the systems rather than just selecting them. This has the advantage that it provides the exact coordinates of the system but the disadvantage that it's cumbersome over large distances. It's only really useful within same sector or maybe neighbouring ones.
The last option, you can simply copy the data to the clipboard and it'll attempt to import it. There are 4 formats you can use (CSV format is fine, or you can copy onto clipboard straight from Excel / Google sheets):
System Name
System Name, X, Y, Z
System Name, X, Y, Z, ID64
System Name, ID64

If you select "Look up missing coordinates on EDSM", then for any system that gets aded to the route through any of those methods but that doesn't have coordinates available, it'll try and look the system up on EDSM for it's coordinates. If there's a lot of systems, it'll take a while to do lookups so give it a second.
If you select "Estimate coordinates if not available", then it'll attempt to estimate the coordinates based on the ID64 if it's available. This has varying degrees of accuracy. For a d-mass system, it'll be within +/-40 LY on each axis. For an h-mass system it'll be +/-640LY on each axis - and all h-mass systems within that sector would estimate to same place. For a galactic-wide adventure, this is likely good enough. For a localalised sector hunt, not so much.

Once you have your route, you may want to Optimize it. For this, each system has to have coordinates of some form. You simply select your previously generated route and open it, then select your starting waypoint - it can be useful to add your current system to your route for this purpose. You can optionally select an end point - if you want to end up back where you started, or at a specific system use this or if you don't care then leave it. You also have the option of using the distance between system or the estimated number of jumps between them based on your ships jump range. The latter provides slightly better routes if you're not neutron jumping (a 70LY jump and a 90LY jump are both going to be 2 jumps if your jump range is 50LY, for example), but less useful if you plan to neutron boost.

Once optimized, you can then hit Follow Route and load up your optimized route. Once you hit each waypoint it'll automatically copy the next to clipboard ready to be plotted. Alternatively, you can hit Import on the System Clipboard section and load the route into that - this will allow you to then use neutron routes to jump between waypoints, but won't automatically move to next system - once you reach a waypoint you'll have to push the next button to skip to next waypoint (and copy to clipboard). You can hit Neutron Route straight after and it should pre-populate both source and destination system (and remember jump range if you previously set it).

Let me know if any of it is unclear.
Once again, Mahalo Plenty for the swift reply, Matt!!! Forgive me if I stay quiet for a few days now as I try to absorb everything and work it thru my head. Trust also that if I can get this from your explanation anyone will be able to.

I like your New Year's Resolution too. I think it will scratch a lot more itches than just mine.

Virbius aka 2020

Hi Matt - apologies if this question is answered elsewhere: is there any way to have the EDJP overlay appear in a VR headset. I find I'm having to squint through the gap to see the info on the monitor which is not very good. Cmdr Tippoff

Hi Matt - apologies if this question is answered elsewhere: is there any way to have the EDJP overlay appear in a VR headset. I find I'm having to squint through the gap to see the info on the monitor which is not very good. Cmdr Tippoff

At the moment, no, and I don't think there's an (easy) way for me to do this directly either.

I have wondered about implementing an option to send notifications to a mostly transparent windows form, which might then allow people to use something like OVR Toolkit to place that window in the headset, but it's made harder by not playing in VR so not really knowing how practicle/useful that might be

Top Bottom