Patch Notes Update April Update - Patch 2

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks to the team for another quick update.

Could we please have some indication of when you envisage the Exploration/Codex bugs that were not introduced with the last patch, will be fixed?

Fixed White Dwarf classes DC, DCV, DO, DOV, and DQ codex entries pointing to incorrect classes in the galaxy
  • White Dwarf Codex discoveries have been switched back on (once the patch is live)

Does this mean that all of the previous Codex entries remained intact in the end?

The thing about QA is that there's two prongs to it in any serious software development.

There's testing the specific changes, and there's also a 'smoke' test. This is a standard test schedule that QA write which fundamentally tests all the basic functionality of the software in question. This is specifically to test if there are any breaking changes - software development is complex & things written in one part can have knock-on effects to completely unrelated parts if the dependencies are set up wrong or out of control.

I think this is what has happened here, and FD either have very poor or non-existent smoke tests. That's something they should seriously look at, because as well as causing pain to players, it makes the company look really bad.

Yes, but this is often easier said than done. There's also a cost factor involved too, as the servers are hosted on Amazon Web Services. To spin up another completely independent copy of the live servers specifically for testing costs money - which is probably why we had to pay for "beta access" in the early days.
yes I know this isn't easy or free but at one point FDev has us PAYING for participating in betas. Many of us paid $10 already and it seems FDev was quick to foget about it.

Last edited:
@Will: I'm quite new to Elite:Dangerous but already lived through the first update. Why do you (Frontier Development) are not giving more information about e.g. knowing about certain issues? For me from the outside it looks like, that you don't even know about problems within the game, what apparently is not quite the fact. Is there another board/forum or anything else to look up information from your company? You even brigded the first update day with a video stream. So, why do you (FD) do not give some little more response to questions many of the players came up with in the forum? And I mean normal simple questions without any negative feelings in them. Just simple things to let your community know: 'We are here and we hear you'. If we would have such an information strategy with our customers (software developing company as well) I had to look after a new job next month.

And by the way: I love all the things that were introduced with the april update.

There is the issue tracker. That is the source of all reported bugs. I'm sure that there are people just posting bugs in the forums and that FDEV do their best to also track those bugs, but the best way to ensure that a bug gets attention is to add it to the issues in the issue tracker.

Have a look at it here => https://issues.frontierstore.net/

It might give you a better idea about what is being tracked and still needs to be resolved.

There is the issue tracker. That is the source of all reported bugs. I'm sure that there are people just posting bugs in the forums and that FDEV do their best to also track those bugs, but the best way to ensure that a bug gets attention is to add it to the issues in the issue tracker.

It might give you a better idea about what is being tracked and still needs to be resolved.
The issue tracker is up since april this year. At first I was not able to access it and there were others that had same problem. So after the rollout of the April Update at first, there were bugs, that some of us couldn't enter into the issue tracker and there was no reaction from FDev, that they know about certain problems. Just a void for some days... 👀

At least that was it how it looked to me as somebody who is a new player for the actual elite since the start of this year. And it is not, let's say, 'optimal' to rollout an update and change the way to report bugs at the same time. Now, that I'm able to access the issue tracker, after opening a ticket for this specific problem, I can see, that they are working on some of the issues. Although I'm not quite sure, if issues that are not complete confirmed by enough players will make it to the bug fix team. There is no information about that (again) as far as I know. It's all about information, if you deal with customers and you like to be on the market next year :)

The issue tracker is up since april this year. At first I was not able to access it and there were others that had same problem. So after the rollout of the April Update at first, there were bugs, that some of us couldn't enter into the issue tracker and there was no reaction from FDev, that they know about certain problems. Just a void for some days... 👀

At least that was it how it looked to me as somebody who is a new player for the actual elite since the start of this year. And it is not, let's say, 'optimal' to rollout an update and change the way to report bugs at the same time. Now, that I'm able to access the issue tracker, after opening a ticket for this specific problem, I can see, that they are working on some of the issues. Although I'm not quite sure, if issues that are not complete confirmed by enough players will make it to the bug fix team. There is no information about that (again) as far as I know. It's all about information, if you deal with customers and you like to be on the market next year :)

I can't speak to the problems accessing the issue tracker just after the launch of the updated website, as I had immediate access (at least as far as I can tell). I can tell you though that the previous system of bug tracking (i.e. the bug threads) didn't really work as not enough people would post their bug reports there, opting instead to create threads about them in the general thread sections.

At least with the dedicated issue tracker this process is somewhat more formalized.

The confirmation process (i.e. more people "voting" for a bug) is intended to prioritize issues for fixing, not to let small bugs slide through the cracks. But if only one person suffers from a particular bug and a whole host of people suffer from another bug, then it would be wise to prioritize the bugs in such a way that the major impactors are dealt with sooner. As much as I wished that Old Duck "elephant butt leather" issue would be resolved, I think that the VSS bugging out was slightly more impactful and more urgent to resolve than some cockpit shadow render issue that doesn't break the game.

Well - Issue Tracker was released over a month ago. At this moment out of 1654 reported bugs 26 is acknowledged by FDev, 14 were fixed in previous update, none of them have "by design" or "invalid" status. Either they dont have time to go through all those reports or just waiting for something (maybe some functionality of Issue Tracker is still at work - like merging duplicated bugs etc).

Well - Issue Tracker was released over a month ago. At this moment out of 1654 reported bugs 26 is acknowledged by FDev, 14 were fixed in previous update, none of them have "by design" or "invalid" status. Either they dont have time to go through all those reports or just waiting for something (maybe some functionality of Issue Tracker is still at work - like merging duplicated bugs etc).

There are a lot of duplicates and "non-bug" bug reports as well. FDEV should do a cleanup action to merge the duplicates and remove the "non-bug" reports. That makes the issue tracking process a lot easier and more clear going forwards. As someone who inherited the issue database used by a former group of mine (before it became my former group), which contained a serious amount of Change Requests, I always made sure that we would resolve or remove the Problem Reports as soon as possible (removed if they could not be recreated at our site as solving bugs that can't be recreated is an impossible task). But we could have really done with a cleanup of the parked CR's as well. Because let's face it: Change Requests that will never be implemented might just as well be reported back to their submitters as such and then removed. There is no use to keep those clogging up your issue tracker.

Top Bottom