Arf's Holiday Message

Well thanks Arf and the community team, the improved communication over the last few months has been great (special props for @sallymorganmoore for putting up with some of toxic behaviour some people have exhibited).

I'll admit, I'm looking forward to update 9. It will certainly enhance exploring and cataloguing plants out in the black. And I think most people can't wait to try out the SRV.

However, I'm hoping that what ever 'surprises' there are in the 16th video, are things that will get people excited about elite again. I know that the fleet carrier's interiors are important to some but there's a lot of players who don't have Fleet Carriers that are hoping for something too. There is so much negativity about Odyssey (Especially from people telling me that there must be something wrong with me for actually daring to enjoy playing some of Odysseys' features), that it would be nice to have something more positive (and no I don't mean something unreasonable like ship interiors or on-foot VR).

What would you consider to be a gesture? What exactly do you want to be announced about consoles that isn't already public knowledge? If they say on stream "there is nothing to share at this moment" it literally means there is nothing to share. The only thing that is going to satisfy the console community would be a release date, and we all know how that went last time ...
No what we are expected is to get aknowledge with our issues too, elite is running like a old bumpy car on the road. Sometimes it delivers you to your destination sometimes not.

we aren’t willing to play on a dead end patches games with long Term issues which can’t be resolved due to complete focus of EDO!!!
Further more, we would like to know the future of the game on the consoles!!!!

till this moment I wouldn’t spend any arx, only to gathering next year the info that the consoles will be cancelled.

OPEN Communication to all plattforms.

Just wait for the response that the PC devs can’t do console dev, and then remind people that consoles are in fact PCs and require minimal code rework (if any) to work on console…
Bah, the PS4 was pretty average[1] when it came out. It's now 8 years old, be 9 by the time Odyssey did arrive.

I will be truly AMAZED if it comes to PS4. Like really really amazed.

Hence I'm pretty sure it WILL be cancelled for PS4. I would imagine the XB1 is the same story. I'm not sure if MS allows XB1X only or something, that may feasible, but I think that's a waste of effort.

So the question is will Elite & Odyssey support current gen consoles or is Elite no longer a console game. And I DO not believe for a moment that Frontier has not asked the question internally in the past 8 months. Otherwise how do they do planning and staffing?

[1] I'm erring on being nice to the PS4 here. It was amazing for it's price... but it was cheap.

An Update for an old game can't run on old console? Somehow I wonder where EDOs ressourcehungry next-gen graphics is. On youtube I saw nothing like this.

Just re-played Mass Effect 4 and Ghost of tsushima on a base ps4. Both looked more next-gen than EDO does. Nope, can't see the reason, why it should not run, given that some not needed effects are removed.

The essence of EDO should be enough. We on the base ps4/xbs would be happy to get the gameplayloops, even if we would have to miss out on some eye candy.

Anyway: There is also no obvious reason, not to give the new SRV also to EDH players as standard-not-physical-multicrew thingy... as a sign of good will

An Update for an old game can't run on old console? Somehow I wonder where EDOs ressourcehungry next-gen graphics is. On youtube I saw nothing like this.

Just re-played Mass Effect 4 and Ghost of tsushima on a base ps4. Both looked more next-gen than EDO does. Nope, can't see the reason, why it should not run, given that some not needed effects are removed.

The essence of EDO should be enough. We on the base ps4/xbs would be happy to get the gameplayloops, even if we would have to miss out on some eye candy.

Anyway: There is also no obvious reason, not to give the new SRV also to EDH players as standard-not-physical-multicrew thingy...
Odyssey is all-around more resource intensive than Horizons, maybe it's the new UI code, maybe it's the new textures, lightning and effects, or simply everything combined. The odyssey settlements themselves are a whole other level of performance intensity. So far to me it hasn't been looking like the optimization will make it viable for the old generation hardware. Plus with all this delay it might give them time to say it no longer makes commercial sense to keep pumping time on optimization to release the game for the old console generation - the new generation is already out for more than an year. Would love to be wrong, though.

Odyssey is all-around more resource intensive than Horizons, maybe it's the new UI code, maybe it's the new textures, lightning and effects, IDK. The odyssey settlements themselves are a whole other level of performance intensity. So far to me it hasn't been looking like the optimization will make it viable for the old generation hardware. Plus with all this delay it might give them time to say it lo longer makes commercial sense to keep pumping time on optimization to release the game for the old console generation - the new generation is already out for more than an year. Would love to be wrong, though.
After a long period of development and some delays we ALL could awaiting a well Optimzed product? I mean they announced it for ps4 and Xbox x, could this mean this largerst expansion of ELite wasn’t well planned ? I think this is a case for the x-files 😅

What would you consider to be a gesture? What exactly do you want to be announced about consoles that isn't already public knowledge? If they say on stream "there is nothing to share at this moment" it literally means there is nothing to share. The only thing that is going to satisfy the console community would be a release date, and we all know how that went last time ...
As said not just focusing on Odyssey actually would like some community involvement, on stream virtually all revolves around Odyssey ergo Pc, what I would like is for Fdev to share knowledge pre-emptively. Like we're working on this fix at the moment expect it to be out next main update. There have been updates for consoles just they've never mentioned it till the last moment when the patch notes went out (As in not even confirmed we were getting an update). That's the sort of gesture I'm referring to, it's already perceived as common knowledge that consoles are getting the MLC why not mention that on stream. Basically pre-emptively mention stuff, an official update along the lines of "We're not looking at console for the next Six months this may change along with the consoles supported" in an official post wouldn't be liked but I think you would find a lot of people would back off, saying "There is nothing in this stream" isn't confirming anything bar for that next 90 mins or so. To infer what will be happening at the start of 2022 and not even mentioning consoles is evidently gonna cause disquiet in the community, as has already been mentioned this one way communication is only causing a wedge in the community and leaving out a portion of that said community is only going to exacerbate that. All my recent posts have been about community involvement / bug fixes / general concerns since it was evident from approximately three months ago there wasn't any capacity for anything console.
Sorry for wall of txt am mixing this with doing xmas dec's thought I would get it all out the way in one reply o7 and Seasons Greetings

There are two things that I would like to see on the fleet carrier, with the new interiors coming.
First is to have a Vista genomics office on the carrier to register my biology claims, just like we already have Universal Cartographics. That would be great in the new interiors.

Second is the ability to send a message to the carrier to re-stock the Tritium depot from stores of Tritium already on board. As we pay for a crew to work on the carrier, we should be able to get them to do some work, whilst I am absent exploring.
I'm currently on a long exploration mission and have been able to send the carrier part-way to the finishing point, but because It is now of of tritium in the depot, I have to return to re-stock it myself, while the crew sit idly by and watch me work!!
The alternative would be to have the ability to modularise the storage space, making the Tritium depot bigger at the expense of cargo space. Either way would be fine.
Here's Hoping!!
Looking forward to the Final Stream of the year!

Happy holidays everyone.

Greetings Commanders,

As we approach the end of the year, I thought I would do something different. Instead of the usual Development Update, I would like to show more than tell; specifically around Fleet Carriers! We will have a full Development Update in January 2022, and lay out our plans for communicating with you through updates, streams and social channels.

Update 9

Update 9 is planned for release next week, with full patch notes published on the same day. Once we have a confirmed date and time we will of course let you know! Here are the highlights of what Update 9 will bring:
  • New Twin-Seat Combat Multicrew SRV
  • Mission extensions
  • Multi Limpet Controller
This update will also include a plethora of fixes and tweaks, including (but not limited to) the following:
  • Issues relating to inactive AI at conflict zones will now be resolved.
  • Issues relating to hatch breaker limpets when used on cargo hatch or escape pods on non-dockable megaships (Odyssey and Horizons)
  • Thermal Conduit no longer has the incorrect damage increase and is correctly represented visually.
  • Completing high influence missions will now affect Background Simulation as expected.
  • Stations no longer 'pop' into existence when jumping out of supercruise
One of the tweaks we have looked at based on your feedback is atmospheric lighting. I would like to share some before and after pictures of what you can expect with Update 9. These lighting effects will be noticeable when stars are low on the horizon.

UGnRsmo.png

JBqqjVA.png

T0JNJtT.png

9RWil3n.png

My thoughts on next year

One of the biggest aspects coming in 2022, literally and figuratively, is the addition of Fleet Carrier interiors. There is a huge amount that the team have been working on regarding this, so as promised we would much rather show you!

Join us on December 16th for our Christmas stream! This will be our last stream of the year and we want it to be special. Along with the usual fun you would expect for our end of year stream, we will be taking you on a tour around a Fleet Carrier interior for the first time. We will also be joined by a member of the development team to help us answer as many of your questions as we can.

Please remember that what we show will very much be work in progress and not final. There will also be some elements we will not show, as we feel some things are best experienced in-person, such as the all-important jump...

Outside of Fleet Carrier interiors, the development team are hard at work on new features and mission types, such as settlement defence that I cannot wait to share more on. We are also reviewing and assessing a number of areas that you have raised, such as the Engineering process, but as I said, I will leave those details for January!

One thing I am particularly excited for is the conclusion of the Azimuth Saga. We have been delighted to see our community engaging with this story arc and we cannot wait to expand on it ;). The narrative team and I are excited to entertain, perplex and thrill you with what we have in store next year!

It is fair to say this has been a challenging year for Elite Dangerous but we are proud and grateful of our community. It is our community’s continued love and support that drives us forward each and every day. To quote the first American female astronaut in space and physicist, Sally Ride - “The stars don’t look bigger, but they do look brighter.”

From the team and I, and all of us here at Frontier: have a wonderful holiday and we will see you in black!

O7 Commanders

-Arf

-Arf​
Are you guys going to continue to act like the consoles don't exist? WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET SOME UPDATES??

Odyssey is all-around more resource intensive than Horizons. The odyssey settlements themselves are a huge performance hit. So far it hasn't been looking like the optimization will make it viable for the old generation. Plus with all this delay it might give them time to say it lo longer makes commercial sense to keep pumping time on optimization to release the game for the old console generation - the new generation is already out for more than an year. Would love to be wrong, though.
Somehow the EDO graphics do not look better than MassEffect4's settlements on e.g. Eos.... so... yeah... where is this ressource hunger to be justified, given that ps4/xb1 were development target as project premiss right from the start of the project... ? I can't develop a car, that shall be designed as an economic fuel saving car for the working class and come up with a big Hummer for the upper class afterwards and wonder, where the problem might be?! .... What went wrong?!

Project premisses are project premisses. Full stop.

Last edited:
And again - FDev HAVE told us about console development, that its on hold until PC repair is done, and news will be shared when there is news to share.
I think the point is after six months since consoles were indefinitely delayed they could come up with some news. Every mention of consoles from anyone, including CM's, since July has been just to brush away the question. In six months, or even the last two weeks, they couldn't scrape together any sort of glimmer of hope for the console community? Yes, we all understand that they want to get PC stable first, and rightly so, but they're willfully ignoring consoles at this point. They're not dumb, they know the unrest within their console community, and failing to address it is a conscious decision. All of this tells me the news is not good and they're not ready to share bad news yet. Probably overly cynical of me, I'm sure.

Curious that there are complaints over 'new features' being added to EDO on PC, when the very first post David Braben made about the EDO fiasco included these lines:
It means that we will see more game updates over the coming months. We will continue to work through Issue Tracker, fix bugs and improve performance, but we will also be able to explore and add additional features, content and improvements into the game.
Gosh... It was mentioned in July!

Greetings Commanders,

As we approach the end of the year, I thought I would do something different. Instead of the usual Development Update, I would like to show more than tell; specifically around Fleet Carriers! We will have a full Development Update in January 2022, and lay out our plans for communicating with you through updates, streams and social channels.

Update 9

Update 9 is planned for release next week, with full patch notes published on the same day. Once we have a confirmed date and time we will of course let you know! Here are the highlights of what Update 9 will bring:
  • New Twin-Seat Combat Multicrew SRV
  • Mission extensions
  • Multi Limpet Controller
This update will also include a plethora of fixes and tweaks, including (but not limited to) the following:
  • Issues relating to inactive AI at conflict zones will now be resolved.
  • Issues relating to hatch breaker limpets when used on cargo hatch or escape pods on non-dockable megaships (Odyssey and Horizons)
  • Thermal Conduit no longer has the incorrect damage increase and is correctly represented visually.
  • Completing high influence missions will now affect Background Simulation as expected.
  • Stations no longer 'pop' into existence when jumping out of supercruise
One of the tweaks we have looked at based on your feedback is atmospheric lighting. I would like to share some before and after pictures of what you can expect with Update 9. These lighting effects will be noticeable when stars are low on the horizon.

UGnRsmo.png

JBqqjVA.png

T0JNJtT.png

9RWil3n.png

My thoughts on next year

One of the biggest aspects coming in 2022, literally and figuratively, is the addition of Fleet Carrier interiors. There is a huge amount that the team have been working on regarding this, so as promised we would much rather show you!

Join us on December 16th for our Christmas stream! This will be our last stream of the year and we want it to be special. Along with the usual fun you would expect for our end of year stream, we will be taking you on a tour around a Fleet Carrier interior for the first time. We will also be joined by a member of the development team to help us answer as many of your questions as we can.

Please remember that what we show will very much be work in progress and not final. There will also be some elements we will not show, as we feel some things are best experienced in-person, such as the all-important jump...

Outside of Fleet Carrier interiors, the development team are hard at work on new features and mission types, such as settlement defence that I cannot wait to share more on. We are also reviewing and assessing a number of areas that you have raised, such as the Engineering process, but as I said, I will leave those details for January!

One thing I am particularly excited for is the conclusion of the Azimuth Saga. We have been delighted to see our community engaging with this story arc and we cannot wait to expand on it ;). The narrative team and I are excited to entertain, perplex and thrill you with what we have in store next year!

It is fair to say this has been a challenging year for Elite Dangerous but we are proud and grateful of our community. It is our community’s continued love and support that drives us forward each and every day. To quote the first American female astronaut in space and physicist, Sally Ride - “The stars don’t look bigger, but they do look brighter.”

From the team and I, and all of us here at Frontier: have a wonderful holiday and we will see you in black!

O7 Commanders

-Arf

-Arf​
I want to say this is all looking much better, but also the fact that it seems the direction of the game is starting to turn around. Keep up the good work, don't let management get sloppy again and keep them on their toes. I don't know if any "changes in structure" occurred, IE someone got hired or fired. But I have to say things are looking up.

I think the next question to ask is, when will console development start back up? I know that for solving the issues with the expansion it was an "All hands on deck" situation, so understandably console development was halted. Now that it seems we are solving the issues with Oddysey at a good clip, I think people would like to know when the console team will get back to console development because we here on Xbox and PS would like to know when we will get to enjoy Oddysey ourselves. One little ask I'd like to put to the console team is, keyboard and mouse support. The respective manufacturers enabled this a while ago but left it to the developers to enable it. I ask because there are at times I would like to map lower priority controls like landing gear, headlights, night vision to a keyboard key rather then be on my controller. I can already do this on PC and it works out well, I use the controller for important things like moving, shooting, menu navigation. and use my PC's keyboard for again, the lower priority stuff. I would like to be able to replicate this on my console.

Now I know some will say, well if you have both versions why don't you just play PC? That is because there are a lot of achievements I've done on my console commander and things like my ship patches, credit balance, fleet carrier, ranks and progress wouldn't carry over. If Fdev allowed cloud saves and allowed profiles to exist on both console and PC platforms that would be amazing, but that would also require more dev work than just asking for keyboard and mouse support be enabled on the console.

Back
Top Bottom