Notice ARX FAQ

Alternatively, spend the Arx that you earn by simply playing the game 🤷‍♂️

Yes, but im already 4 years into this game. Im Tripple Elite, Ive been to Sag A, ive been to colonia, Ive killed a Thargoid, I've even destroyed vladimir putin's FDL.
Until the 2020 updates lands 'Playing' Elite for the sake of it just to earn ARX to get cosmetics is somewhat obsolete. But i can buy 'PACKAGES' of ARX credits to get that FDL ship kit ive been thinking about... except now i may have to pay £10 instead of £8.

Last edited:
Can i still buy paint jobs/ship kits with real world money to show my love. Or do i have to buy Arx and then buy paint jobs/ship kits. Or will it be both?

Yes, but im already 4 years into this game. Im Tripple Elite, Ive been to Sag A, ive been to colonia, Ive killed a Thargoid, I've even destroyed vladimir putin's FDL.
Until the 2020 updates lands 'Playing' Elite for the sake of it just to earn ARX to get cosmetics is somewhat obsolete. But i can buy 'PACKAGES' of ARX credits to get that FDL ship kit ive been thinking about... except now i have to pay £10 instead of £8.
fdev are pretty close to their community - I can see them allowing us to buy £1 increments so we can buy what we need. If not - pitchforks! but really - if they actually allow us to see how stuff looks in-game - that's a big win. I look forward to seeing what they've done.

Consoles did that for years. Not that i like it, but got used to it.
On XBox currently one can buy packages of 300, 500, 1000, 2500 points
And a normal Paint Pack (6 paint jobs) costs 300 points.

Things might be waaay different with Arx and hopefully for the better.

not bad, but not ideal either if all i want to buy is a single paint worth of 100-150 points

Until the 2020 updates lands 'Playing' Elite for the sake of it just to earn ARX to get cosmetics is somewhat obsolete. But i can buy 'PACKAGES' of ARX credits to get that FDL ship kit ive been thinking about... except now i have to pay £10 instead of £8.

Isn't the same with paint packs? you want a single one of them, but you have to pay for the entire pack. **

** apparently this will be addressed in the september update, but i don't expect to pay 1/6 of the pack price

Until the 2020 updates lands 'Playing' Elite for the sake of it just to earn ARX to get cosmetics is somewhat obsolete. But i can buy 'PACKAGES' of ARX credits to get that FDL ship kit ive been thinking about... except now i may have to pay £10 instead of £8.
Doomed.

fdev are pretty close to their community - I can see them allowing us to buy £1 increments so we can buy what we need. If not - pitchforks! but really - if they actually allow us to see how stuff looks in-game - that's a big win. I look forward to seeing what they've done.

not bad, but not ideal either if all i want to buy is a single paint worth of 100-150 points

Isn't the same with paint packs? you want a single one of them, but you have to pay for the entire pack. **

** apparently this will be addressed in the september update, but i don't expect to pay 1/6 of the pack price

I like everything about this new update. Except the pre-pay digital currency system.

We know that pricing disparity will exist because Frontier are creating partity with Console players, who we know already have a pricing disparity between items and pre-pay credit packages.

--

If you're playing the game, you'll earn Arx for cosmetics.

If you're not playing the game, why buy cosmetics?

I would like to point out that you are really missing a chance to make a LOT more money on the store front, if you make them available as "Gifts" from one Commander to another you will sell much more than you do- Big mistake! HUGE!

I would like to point out that you are really missing a chance to make a LOT more money on the store front, if you make them available as "Gifts" from one Commander to another you will sell much more than you do- Big mistake! HUGE!
You can already send cosmetic gifts from the Frontier Store

This FAQ does nothing to assuage my concerns...

Not adjusting mission rewards to account for Arx sounds like we won't be able to earn them by doing actual activities. It kind of implies to me that they'll be earned by simply logging in.

When we* said we wanted cosmetics to be earnable in-game, we meant that we want to perform in-game activities that are relevant and appropriate to the cosmetic on offer. The example I keep mentioning is being granted a Hutton Mug ship dashboard ornament for making the Hutton Run.
Alternatively in the context of Arx, earning the amount of Arx needed to purchase said Hutton Mug dash ornament.

I know they don't exist currently, but apply that to any other current cosmetic - earn the Sol Bobblehead set by becoming established and allied in Sol, for example.

Need some clarification on how Arx will be earnable. Being drip fed Arx for logging in isn't a fun and engaging way to get them, and I am afraid this is what's on the cards for it.

I know I should wait until we have more information before I criticise (because otherwise I'm criticising something that may not even exist), but I do also think it's important to get opinions on perceived options out there so there's time to make changes if that's how opinion is trending.

*Generally speaking, I have seen this kind of opinion mooted often. I do not assume to speak for everyone, and if that's not what you personally want then that's fine too.

Honestly, I don't think this is a beneficial change for the game -- I've never had any qualms about recommending Elite to anyone and everyone, despite it having micro-transactions for cosmetics; and that is because I felt it was done much more fairly and transparently than the vast majority of other titles, which obfuscate and confuse people with multiple tiers of currency purchases, "value" packs and other such rubbish. Not to mention that there are a numerous shady techniques and psychological tricks which come with such practices and I would really hate to see them employed by one of my fav devs in one of my fav games...

Now, the idea of earning "premium" (UGH!) currency by simply playing is not a bad one, but I have a feeling that however high or low the amount is set it will end up annoying someone -- if it's too low, it'll be deemed "another (as much as I hate the overuse of this word) grind" or just seen as simply not viable; set it too high and it'll perhaps feel like an afront to those who spent money on regular-cash purchases in the past.

So, if this whole new thing is something that simply cannot be avoided, then me, myself and I, speaking as simply a player and a fan, would urge FDev to look into how it is handled by other "big" companies and NOT follow the worst trends in industry. Instead either allow us to buy the points directly, for, let's say, increments of 0.10 of given currency; or find some other actually fair solution to this.

Eh, well, I do not think this means doom and utter gloom, for the game, but also, at the same time, I really cannot see myself recommending it (or even enjoying it) with clear conscience. This is, of course, again, my own personal opinion, anyway.

This sounds way too close to Star Trek Online's way of doing things. And Cryptic's model is horrendous and a rip-off. I certainly will not be buying any "Arx"
I also don't like the idea of two currencies in the game. If you want things like paintjobs and bobbleheads to be purchasable in-game, then why not just allow us to buy them with credits? I wouldn't even care if it was 1 billion for a paintjob, but this model opens you up to accusations of cash grab.

I support you making things purchasable in-game, but as usual, you have a horrible way of doing things. 1 out of 10 for effort.
I can see several reasons why a separate currency for things "outside of the game" can exist inside the game. One would be to ensure game play, which ensures users of things and buyers of ship kits, paint jobs and such, and another is that it creates a conduit to transport all these kits and skins and trinkets into the game so they can be seen.

The developers have to make money, we all have bills to pay.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
I'm not a fan of premium currencies, but in this case we've already got Frontier Points and we've already got a cosmetics shop. To me this is just rearranging the existing pieces a bit while making it more fair for those who don't want to spend money at all by gifting Arx. That's great. Cosmetics should be earn-able in-game.

I'll be curious to see how exactly this is implemented, of course, and I can see several ways it could wind up being objectionable. We'll just have to see. Overall I'm encouraged the fact that I can earn some skins by just playing, though.

Top Bottom