Notice ARX FAQ

Hello @Six6VI,
  • For digital purchases in the stores we require a 'Billing Address' as standard. Most systems use this process nowadays and it is just standard billing procedure for any of our products.
  • At the moment, you will not be able to purchase any ARX without entering your billing address.
  • Currently, you cannot purchase ARX via Steam, but it is something the team are looking into implementing in the near future.
o7 Commander
Thanks for the feedback, I'm patient...

Do you plan to distribute the 2020 "paid" expansion via Steam?

[Edit: Please edit OP in case anyone else has the same question, cheers.]

Last edited:
I dislike this model and will certainly not be spending what i used to on cosmetic items. In game currencies like ARX are simply a mechanism used to hide the true cost of in game items. It invariably goes hand in hand with an increase in the actual cost of these items.

I dislike this model and will certainly not be spending what i used to on cosmetic items. In game currencies like ARX are simply a mechanism used to hide the true cost of in game items. It invariably goes hand in hand with an increase in the actual cost of these items.
Whilst agreeing, in principle, with the 'hidden cost' I think it all comes down to the "Do I want X at Y Arx?" in the end. I buy the cosmetics I want, if the cost appears excessive I'll wait until 'Sale' time... as I have just done, now have a couple of items 'discounted' to a more acceptable 'price'.

The great thing is, as cosmetics they add nothing to the game bar tickling one's vanity - so not buying anything doesn't leave a player disadvantaged in any way :)

I thought all the packs have been "broken apart", so you can now buy each paint separately (which is a great idea IMO). But now I was looking for the rusty paintjob for a Cutter and is is ONLY available in some Raider pack along with some kits. Is this correct and should the paint really be available only as a part of a big kit package, or is it an error and it ought to be available separately?

Thanks

I thought all the packs have been "broken apart", so you can now buy each paint separately (which is a great idea IMO). But now I was looking for the rusty paintjob for a Cutter and is is ONLY available in some Raider pack along with some kits. Is this correct and should the paint really be available only as a part of a big kit package, or is it an error and it ought to be available separately?

Thanks
Unfortunately, Frontier didn't split all the packs. I can understand them doing so -- how many people would buy just the paint and a couple of spikes? But they kind of shot themselves in the foot by not making all of the things available separately for no more than the pack price. The more desirable paints are still cheaper than the pack price, but much more expensive than their share of the pack price. It's obvious which ones they decided were loss leaders and which ones the whales would buy. The raider stuff stands out as does the other combat squadron stuff. It seems the PvP crowd are where the whales are. Which kind of makes sense because they tend to be the only people who regularly see each other's ships and who might be competitive about it.

Question concerning ARX, when you purchase an item *Is it possible to view your spent or usage of ARX pts, I fell as though I was double charged for an item (Viper MKIII RAIDER PACK) Thanks CMDR OKIE

In game currencies like ARX are simply a mechanism used to hide the true cost of in game items. It invariably goes hand in hand with an increase in the actual cost of these items.

Because the prices of things purchased with actual money have never increased...

o_O 🤪:rolleyes:

Hi :)

I've just been looking at some of the ARX reductions on ships paint jobs and ship kits etc. that's just recently appeared in the livery / shop menu. Can anybody from Frontier tell me for how long these reductions will be available?...thank you. :)

Jack :)

Hi Stephen :)

Thanks for the reply! (y) ...I'd better start trading in some of these ARX's I've accumulated over the next few days then. ;)

Jack :)

Last edited:
OKAY - replies are TLDR but I did read the FAQ and something is missing.

I notice that I get 15 ARX for an EXPLORATION session: Does the amount of ARX earned vary by:

a) Session duration e.g. 4 hours is twice the ARX of 2 hours, and/or
b) By Session type, i.e. Exploration = 5 points per hour, Combat = 7 points per hour etc.?

Soz if this is old news.

:sneaky:

OKAY - replies are TLDR but I did read the FAQ and something is missing.

I notice that I get 15 ARX for an EXPLORATION session: Does the amount of ARX earned vary by:

a) Session duration e.g. 4 hours is twice the ARX of 2 hours, and/or
b) By Session type, i.e. Exploration = 5 points per hour, Combat = 7 points per hour etc.?

Soz if this is old news.

:sneaky:

Its about activities performed. Its not time based. The game doesn't know if you plan to do exploration or combat, but it knows if you scan a system or kill a ship.

Its about activities performed. Its not time based.

Gotcha

The game doesn't know if you plan to do exploration or combat, but it knows if you scan a system or kill a ship.

So, then my second question still stands, but in a slightly modified form. I assume that the system can tell if you shoot ships, mine things, or scan planets: so do each of these activities have different reward values, and if so dependent upon what criteria? E.g. killing 1 ship = 1 ARX, killing 50 = 50 ARX: Mining 1 asteroid = 1 ARX, mining 10 = 10 ARX (or could even be increasing value because god knows its tedious sometimes e.g. 10 asteroids = 15 ARX etc.)

An odd thing i noticed during my last night splay session: Previously i have been exploring, honking, scanning planets for geological features, popping down for a bit of a snoop about, and occasionally picking up the odd CODEX entry right? 15 ARX

Last night, i decided to forgo the planetary scanning for everything expect ELW, AW, WW and try and make some distance towards my next goal, less scanning but more distance. 33 ARX

I wonder what the variables are for ARX earning potential? Would be nice to know; however, I assume FDEV are keeping tight lipped because some wag will eventually figure out how to rort the system and make a youtube video all about it for $400 mill per hour yadda yadda yadda.

There is one fast way to make arx. And it's the one you would think and it cost in game money to do and supports one particular activity they probably are trying to get people to do. Which will probably be nerfed despite the fact it appears intentional they are trying to leave high to get participation.

Engineering one's ships also gains large amounts of Arx :)
Exploration used to be about 30 mill handed in in data would max out, but needs a bit more (I'll find out soon).
Combat in Res / CZ's is pretty good.
PvP / having your ship destroyed can be very lucrative too, lose 40 sideys a week to max out (allegedly)

Gotcha

So, then my second question still stands, but in a slightly modified form. I assume that the system can tell if you shoot ships, mine things, or scan planets: so do each of these activities have different reward values, and if so dependent upon what criteria? E.g. killing 1 ship = 1 ARX, killing 50 = 50 ARX: Mining 1 asteroid = 1 ARX, mining 10 = 10 ARX (or could even be increasing value because god knows its tedious sometimes e.g. 10 asteroids = 15 ARX etc.)

An odd thing i noticed during my last night splay session: Previously i have been exploring, honking, scanning planets for geological features, popping down for a bit of a snoop about, and occasionally picking up the odd CODEX entry right? 15 ARX

Last night, i decided to forgo the planetary scanning for everything expect ELW, AW, WW and try and make some distance towards my next goal, less scanning but more distance. 33 ARX

I wonder what the variables are for ARX earning potential? Would be nice to know; however, I assume FDEV are keeping tight lipped because some wag will eventually figure out how to rort the system and make a youtube video all about it for $400 mill per hour yadda yadda yadda.

Heh, quite possible. No ideas about exact numbers for exact activities.

Exploration used to be about 30 mill handed in in data would max out, but needs a bit more (I'll find out soon).

Been wondering about this. Out exploring but should be handing in data within the a week or two.

So, if it maxes out at whatever million, does this mean it encourages you to hand in a max amount of data, then not hand any more in for a week until the cap resets?

Because if so, that has to be one of the stupidest decisions I've seen from FD. It probably means that when i get to the station, i'm going to hand in a load of data, then not play for a week until the cap resets... and i'm not sure how much data i've got in relation to that cap. If its a lot, i might not be playing for weeks if i want to get max ARX value for my data.

Been wondering about this. Out exploring but should be handing in data within the a week or two.

So, if it maxes out at whatever million, does this mean it encourages you to hand in a max amount of data, then not hand any more in for a week until the cap resets?

Because if so, that has to be one of the stupidest decisions I've seen from FD. It probably means that when i get to the station, i'm going to hand in a load of data, then not play for a week until the cap resets... and i'm not sure how much data i've got in relation to that cap. If its a lot, i might not be playing for weeks if i want to get max ARX value for my data.
Up until the last round of "Balancing" Arx earning, exploration earned very few arx, better if you SRV'd a bit and flew out to map lots, but at around 30 mill data you could go from 0 to hero...

Now more Arx are earned while exploring, but less given for data, so I think around 50 mill is needed now. If I'm away on a jaunt, I usually plan to return Weds...

Edit: It doesn't advise you of the amount needed, so you could sell your 540 mill in one fell swoop and max out - I just did a little experimenting with the figures initially, and again after the change.

Last edited:
Top Bottom