ARX store inflation

When Frontier announced that there would be a change to the cosmetics store I decided to record the ARX prices for all cosmetics. I recorded them all in a google sheet here.

I'm really used to mixed cash shop and what is shocking me in the shop is not prices but price balance. It doesn't seem to reflect the work put in it (and so real cost)
note : >> 10000h in Guildwars 2 where you can buy currency with in game gold, with permanent average inflation, only taking account of skins

When Frontier announced that there would be a change to the cosmetics store I decided to record the ARX prices for all cosmetics. I recorded them all in a google sheet here.

Excellent work! Really helps to put the price changes in perspective.

I've spent a good amount of money buying cosmetics. I've even bought paint jobs for ships that I don't own just on the off chance I ever do use those ships and want to make them pretty.

The magnitude of this price hike is frankly kind of absurd, and these new prices have pushed future purchases straight off the table for me.

1714671607622.png

1714671625940.png

I bought fusion red skin last week for 3,260ARX. Same category skin(pulse blue) is 6,000ARX at now. I think this is too much.

What would make this even more useful would be those new ARX values converted to a common currency (pound, euro, dollar) so as to undo the primary purpose of virtual currencies which is to break down the ability of the consumer to properly gauge the real cost of items.

For instance a Stygian skin for my Courier, which from what I can tell is nothing more than a single colour with a slightly shiny shader applied to the whole ship—massive effort there—is 10,000 ARX which is £5.98, €6.98, US$7.98 or in my currency is ~AU$12.16.

To put that into perspective, it is just $2 less than what I paid for a second Elite account with Odyssey I bought the other day to "support" Frontier.

Last edited:
What would make this even more useful would be those new ARX values converted to a common currency (pound, euro, dollar) so as to undo the primary purpose of virtual currencies which is to break down the ability of the consumer to properly gauge the real cost of items.

For instance a Stygian skin for my Courier, which from what I can tell is nothing more than a single colour with a slightly shiny shader applied to the whole ship—massive effort there—is 10,000 ARX which is £5.98, €6.98, US$7.98 or in my currency is ~AU$12.16.

Isn't this kind of calculation complicated by the fact that Arx is sold in "packs" of weird denominations? What assumptions would be made in order to come up with a single figure?

I bought fusion red skin last week for 3,260ARX. Same category skin(pulse blue) is 6,000ARX at now. I think this is too much.
Don't worry, there will be discount prices soon enough.
That's why they had to raise the prices to 300% as a first step, so that people will be happy to pay 200% of the original price for these things later when they start to advertise the "33% off" deal :)

Really FD ? Really... :rolleyes:🤦‍♂️

But congratulations... that was/is the move the game - or better said, you... - needed... not... 🤦‍♂️

A good next step might be getting rid of all "old" players (who hopefully will be not so dumb to tolerate this...) by banning them from the game altogether to make room for "new" players who don't know nothing about the old store prices and will happily pay whatever rates you apply..

/S

At least the sunglasses kept their price of 20 Arx per set... (y) 😂😂😂

Really, a "good old" Frontier move... 😂😂😂😂🤦‍♂️

Oh, just my 2 ct. ymmv though, as ever... 🤷‍♂️

i find it dissapointing that after the TERRIBLE pay extra for early access Odyssey Betamess and then the half expected and dreaded Early Access for the first new ship in years... that the prices for ARX purchases have jumped so high without real warning. I understand that money was spent developing the python mk2 but making such a large cash grab really does reek. and to top it all off if the cosmetic store was unchanged i know for a fact i would have bought more cosmetics and probably spent even more than i will be doing now.
Nobody likes to buy things that feel overpriced.

I'm surprised that people are surprised that FDev is trying to monetize more on Elite. Of course this means increasing prices and finding new ways to cash in. Of course they will keep on doing that up to the point of a negative market response. It is in the hand of the customers if and how long they are willing to go that way together with FDev.

Exactly. vote with your wallets. If you dont it stays.
Then whos fault is it.

Top Bottom