ARX store inflation

Two things about this seem weird and mistimed.

First, why increase prices 5 days before the patch? There's literally nothing new in the store for the next 5 days. They could have done this concurrent with the patch. It wouldn't make the increase any more palatable, but at least there would be a new ship and stuff to distract away from it.

Second, for anyone who's been around for more than a few years, and with no new ships since 2018, it's likely that we already have the paints/kits/whatever that we've always wanted. It's not like this price increase will inspire me to suddenly go "Hey, it's time for that one paint that I've always hated on that ship that I never use!". So, these prices on old and well established ships will only work on anyone who starts playing in 5 days.

So for the price of a ship kit (that's 16,800 Arxes for £9.99) I could instead buy a barnyard animals pack (7 new animals, 60+ scenery pieces and a campaign) and still have £2 left over.

Same goes for other PZ , PC and JWE2 DLCs.

We must be right mugs especially since in more than 90%* of situations we don't actually see these cosmetic addons.

* (Yeah, OK I'm guessing)

Two things about this seem weird and mistimed.

First, why increase prices 5 days before the patch? There's literally nothing new in the store for the next 5 days. They could have done this concurrent with the patch. It wouldn't make the increase any more palatable, but at least there would be a new ship and stuff to distract away from it.

Second, for anyone who's been around for more than a few years, and with no new ships since 2018, it's likely that we already have the paints/kits/whatever that we've always wanted. It's not like this price increase will inspire me to suddenly go "Hey, it's time for that one paint that I've always hated on that ship that I never use!". So, these prices on old and well established ships will only work on anyone who starts playing in 5 days.

I have been around for years (as my forum account suggests) but only have like 1 midnight black paint (despite wanting more) because I always seemed to either forget or take a break around Black Friday. I was looking forward to this for a chance to scoop up paints for the Cutter + Vette at least, but at 10k ARX it's not happening.

I'm also hesitant about the Mk2 now because it might not end up being that good compared to new variants yet to come. If newer variants are better still, then if I spend the ARX now, I will miss those because I'm not buying more ARX.

Okay, we got a bugged ARX Shop. Brrr
ARX.png

ARX2.png

Mdnight Black - Both are small ships. (S-Class)

I was expecting the price increases to go live with the other changes, on the 7th, not today (not that it makes much difference).

The price of the ARX is unchanged (as already mentioned by Ian Doncaster): I have been tracking it recently, and it's exactly as it was in the past weeks.

I imagine that at the next sale, the new discounted prices will be comparable to the previous full prices (if not higher), depending on the discount.
With all the bugs that the store has had in the past it would not surprise me in the least that this wasn't meant to happen till the 7th.

I just went through all my old emails.
In about 3400 hours of playing, in addition to the base game, Horizons and Odyssey, I've spent about 200 quid on ARX.
I was happy to do this because I'm happy to support the game. It's fun, relaxing, rewarding, and I was happy to contribute to a long term "getting more" of it.

These increases however, go beyond "cost of living increase" into "taking the " territory.

Oh well, back to X4 for another few months. The 7.00 update is going to drop soon...

They have just hit that for me, £12.99 for a suit skin, no thank you. (I can buy a new ship for less!)
And for me.
I bet X4's next expansion will barely cost more than a suit skin.

But 10.000Arx for Midnight Black? Come on, thats weird overpriced. Sorry, dont buy any cosmetics at the moment. Just insane but its FDev...
That's for years old cosmetics that aren't super-exclusive.

How much will the void black, iridescent and any other actually-new paintjobs, suit packs cost?

I jokingly ended a discussion elsewhere about cool paintjobs/skins I'd like to see, yeah that would be 50k arx if we ever saw it in game and that's kinda poisoning the well because it's believable now.

So I one of the moderators locked my post and rightly so, it was double post of this thread so I'm re-posting my response to the increase in ARX from FDev here.

Just watched a few YouTube's on the upcoming Python V2 and was waiting for the "pre-release" as I had some ARX stored away and was thinking of using them for a purchase when I received a video notification about FDevs "new" ARX price increase. Has FDev lost their minds?, this is insanity, some content creators are reporting up to a 300% price increase depending on what you're buying.

Well, I'm out (been playing since June 2015). I'm not leaving the game yet, but DEFINITELY no more ARX purchases at these prices for me, this is crazy. What are they thinking here?. These prices for a ship skins no one can even see?.

Crazy.

I just went through all my old emails.

That's an excellent idea, actually. Now would be the perfect time for me to actually take stock of how much money I have spent on this game.

At time of writing after having played 2834 hours (according to Steam), I have spent a total of about £136 total on Arx since I started playing in late 2022. A two-thirds majority of the Arx was bought in the last twelve months.

In that time-frame, I've probably spent more than that on booze and other fun stuff that isn't video games. I'm lucky in that I'm a guy with no dependents who enjoys the benefits of controlled rent rises and not having to pay for work travel. But I have been through times when spending such figures would have either severely curtailed discretionary spending on anything else, or would have made it impossible to meet living expenses.

Even today, with the best-paying job I've had in my career so far along with aforementioned favourable conditions, if FDev chooses to dilute the value of their Arx by raising prices, then I will be conscious not to increase my spend in real pounds on Arx to compensate, but to instead exchange Arx for cosmetics with less frequency. I've started keeping a handy list of my Arx purchases so far, I was lax before but now I'm keeping a count on the beans. If there's any more of this nonsense then I will simply stop buying Arx completely.

Top Bottom