Automation and Scripting - An investigation into further abuses of BGS and Powerplay

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I know who it is; alongside bizarre comics ranting about the harassment he's sent to an Ex-girlfriend, trying to forge it as if I were the one doing it, my stalker has dropped plenty of claims to be active here too.

Are you saying this guy has made claims of attacking AOS in Gateway? If so, perhaps we should talk! :)

I’m still rather at a loss as what, exactly, these supposed bots are doing.
Anybody want to share some specifics?

As I understand it (and I'm no script* or bot expert, mind you) it works something like this:

001 collect materials to promote your power
002 launch with destination set to deliver materials
003 once clear of mass lock point at destination and charge FSD for departure
004 at destination star fly to dock, land, deliver materials
005 depart and return back at home base, land
006 if 30-minute clock still running wait until finished else goto 007
007 goto 001

This type of thing allows someone doing power play to do this 24 hours a day, 7 days per week giving them (and their power) an unfair advantage over players that actually do the grind.

*My 67 year old brain barely remembers BASIC from way back in ancient times
when my dad had the Atari 640XL so I apologize if it's not precisely correct.

Last edited:
Get rid of docking computers. There's your problem right there.

Good luck threading a mail slot in traffic and picking the right pad with a bot.

Reading this makes me glad I'm on a console and that cross platform doesn't exist.
Oh wait, cross platform does exist sort of. We just can't see each other.

Last edited:

sollisb

Banned

Good luck threading a mail slot in traffic and picking the right pad with a bot.

You think? Just to burst your bubble..

Drop from super cruise to station
Orientate to station in front
Use Green/Red to orientate for perfect approach
Enter grill
Landing pad is now show on gimbal ball
Orientate and land

All the above can be done by reading portions of the screen and acting accordingly

Maybe we should get rid of Huds? Stations? The Game?

The bottom line here is; If it can be viewed on screen it can be read. And none of it would break EULA as there is no memory or executable manipulation. They could ban 'automation' which would in theory fix it, but I doubt botters care about EULAs or anything FD have to say. And of course, you'd be automatically banning VoiceAttack. Which might not be a bad thing, as it can be used to automate a while swathe of things.

Surely frontier can see names of commanders top contributors etc and flag them for investigation

One would think so. But given their evidence of imagination, they might not have thought of that. Maybe those who are watching this could put something in the suggestion forum or ticket system?

Open only and we can kill bots
That is anything but a guarantee as has been explained to the open-only crowd on many occasions.

Ultimately, it would be neigh on impossible to identify a bot from someone doing something comparable manually. There are too many variables in play and there are many different ways things can be automated without them being 100% identifiable as being automated.

Introducing random/triggered "are you a human?" tests like Captcha in-application is the only true way to really curtail botting but such tests themselves would be sufficiently immersion breaking for the case against them to be sufficiently strong. Further more, I have no doubt that such techniques are not able to stop botting in all cases.

Overall, the only reasonable way to deal with botting in ED is what is already being done - working with Frontier Support and allow them to deal with any identified breaches of the ToS or EULA.

If the community can prove botting is possible will Frontier move BGS and PP to open only? Because I can go home and use my Razer keyboard macros to fly back and forth from one station to another it really is that simple and frontier do nothing to address it
At the end of the day a player choosing to play in solo should have no right to effect my game

If the community can prove botting is possible will Frontier move BGS and PP to open only? Because I can go home and use my Razer keyboard macros to fly back and forth from one station to another it really is that simple and frontier do nothing to address it
At the end of the day a player choosing to play in solo should have no right to effect my game

He doesn´t. And just because you are jealous there´s no need to whine on the forums 24/7.

If the community can prove botting is possible will Frontier move BGS and PP to open only?
Nope - and nor should they for numerous reasons.

FD reaffirmed their commitment to their mode-agnostic approach to ED on numerous occasions. I think the Open-Only crowd need to learn to accept that or move on to other games.

Last edited:

Frankly, that's rubbish. Anyone that is clever enough to get a script to launch a ship out through the slot will have no problem at all in docking the ship the other way. As for picking the correct slot, do you ever look at the "compass" when docking. If you did you'd release just how silly your statement really is.

I have a suggestion that would prob appease both sides have it so you can only attack a player faction In open only but it can be defended from both and I couldn't care less about Npc factions

I have a suggestion that would prob appease both sides have it so you can only attack a player faction In open only but it can be defended from both and I couldn't care less about Npc factions

How could you do that? Running missions for factions other than 'yours' has a negative impact on 'your' faction. Would that mean that taking missions for a faction other than 'yours' would have to be done in open? What if I was just a random passer-by looking to grab that nice Assassination mission. This is not an answer at all.

They would have to run those missions in open or they would have no effect at all in the player faction system
So they guy picking up the random assassination mission. Wouldn't care if it effected the BGS so it wouldn't bother him unless he was out to do harm to that player system then he would have to do it in open
Seems to that it would work perfectly the only people like you that want to do harm on the quiet would object

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom