Be honest everyone. Who will most likely purchase the Python MkII..?

Your absence was noted... Great to see you back!

There is a certain charm to it!

I suspect that players who bought it for pure fun are not going to be too disappointed, I was teamed up with another squadron member last night "testing" the P2 in various mission types. We laughed a lot and had a great time - surpeisingly good for PvE play.

Nope, you ain't, and all the better for it!
Well, I'm sorta back...

Trying to remember everything, and being a bit hit-and-miss at it. I 'discovered' these SCO frameshift drives and started upgrading. Then I ran out of mats. I vaguely remember a outpost or something where I used to go for basic mats, and some crashed ship for the electronic waveform stuff?

And then there are the chemical manipulators(?). I don't remember where or how I procured these things, but I remember all the Bad Words used while looking for them... ;)

But I digress, and am OT now. Sorry. Thanks for the Welcome Back! (y)

Last edited:

I can think of several examples of online games that were in a better state after their original operators went under or otherwise stopped supporting them.

Not saying this would automatically be the case with Elite: Dangerous--more likely than not there wouldn't be a release or leak substantial enough to do what I want to do--but the last time I felt like the game was taking more steps forward than back was way back in 2016 with the release of Horizons.

At this point Frontier is at least as much of a barrier to my enjoyment of the game as anything and what little hope I have left for it's future mostly involve FDev abruptly going bankrupt and and the server software becoming available in the ensuing chaos. I can still find enjoyment in the game we have, but that's been whittled away, bit by bit, for the last eight years. The game I had, the game I want to have some semblance of again, is not compatible with FDev being in control of it.

So yeah, I respect the positions of those who want to continue to support a developer that is catering to them, but FD's well being is not in my best interest and I am not grateful for this protracted decline.

I respect that.

But not seeing anything else I enjopy playing as much, I'd like to see ED stay afloat until such time as a better option is available.

I share much of your outlook but a bird in hand...

Then I ran out of mats
Yeah... I had loads, then new AX stuff needed lots, then the P5 happened and got beaten into submission by a bunch of engineers..
So, a couple of play sessions doing HGE / USS in Buzhang Ku is called for - assuming it is as generous as it was... And the SCO drive will eat the distances between HGE sources.
(I do USS for data as well as low-grade manu mats - then drop to an Agri / Tourist station with Wake Scanner for the better stuff, fairly stress free and a nice change of pace)

Too curvy for a Faulcon DeLacy. I honestly think the devs put too much effort into it:rolleyes: I like my MK's to be more subtle and conservative - this looks like a whole new model from a different manufacturer. Ja, ja, I am not an easy pilot to please:) - so not popping ARX on this. Still I can not contain my excitement for new ships, finally, NEW SHIPS!!!:love:
To me it looks like the result of the design department having come up with the first new ship in ages were shot down by corporate and told we don’t need a new ship then sneaked it past the suits by saying it was a new mark of the old favourite when in fact almost every part except the cockpit is new.

Last edited:
In that case it would need to be required for an activity which the Python 2 still isn't. A hypothetical argument is fine but we're talking about the Python 2.

It's not really hypothetical to say that there is now a purchasable base fail state that used to be an E-rated sidewinder but can now be an A-rated PM2, and that whatever steps would be needed to fit the PM2 are bypassed totally, if used out of the box or partially if modified. There is also the case of rebuy reduction for the base parts and hull used from the prebuilt.

But apparently this no longer matters as people consider the credit economy borked beyond repair.

Try applying this argument to the Python 2, like you sort of already started. Buying it doesn't pay for all future development, right? How far should it take you?
Owning the ship, and getting the ship for those that refuse to pay for it.

The difference is that many, many more people buy the game than will buy the Python Mk2. That's how they've been able to fund the games development for the last decade. The cost of developing new features isn't per-player, and the idea is that it'll pay for itself by growing the playerbase.

Selling a few ships to core active playerbase, though, that's not going to fund radical new development. Its just the icing on top. The lack of major development is a management decision, not because they physically don't have the funds for it.

Of course more people will buy the game than the Python 2, but people have optimistic ideas about how many base game sales are being made in current year, and how many dev salaries it will pay, not to mention shareholder cuts, property taxes, secondary and tertiary employee salaries, utilities and I'm sure other expenses. None of us know exact details of course, but the state of development and FD's tanking share prices give us indicators. I don't buy the idea that management just decided not to fund serious development because they're evil villains. How these things go is that major development gets halted because the prognosis is that it's not financially viable. Odyssey was the nail in the coffin for what we have now. All I can hope is that the revived interest in ED from the new features and ships creates the environment for proper development again, but the game is 10 years old at this point, there aren't too many comeback stories in the industry from games that old, but we can hope.

Last edited:
It's not really hypothetical to say that there is now a purchasable base fail state that used to be an E-rated sidewinder but can now be an A-rated PM2, and that whatever steps would be needed to fit the PM2 are bypassed totally, if used out of the box or partially if modified. There is also the case of rebuy reduction for the base parts and hull used from the prebuilt.

But apparently this no longer matters as people consider the credit economy borked beyond repair.
It is borked, additionally a newbie will have no idea how to use the ship, and may get killed by someone equally new using an Anaconda he bought in one day using exobiology money.

It is borked, additionally a newbie will have no idea how to use the ship, and may get killed by someone equally new using an Anaconda he bought in one day using exobiology money.
That other rookie has something to lose, the player in the PM2 prebuilt does not. And with them both being rookies that notion of hitting that state of loss isn't out of the realm of possibility.

That other rookie has something to lose, the player in the PM2 prebuilt does not. And with them both being rookies that notion of hitting that state of loss isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Alright the rebuy cost I'll take the point, I'm not sure why it's a thing for bought ships or ones that are won in competitions etc, but it's really a non issue. You learn early not to fly without rebuy, and in the current economy the rebuy is a non issue for either side that may face a rebuy screen.

Alright the rebuy cost I'll take the point, I'm not sure why it's a thing for bought ships or ones that are won in competitions etc, but it's really a non issue. You learn early not to fly without rebuy, and in the current economy the rebuy is a non issue for either side that may face a rebuy screen.
Then why have it? If it's an archaic mechanic that can even now be partially bypassed with cash why care? Moreso if the general concensus is that it's irrelevant. Not like we're holding that mechanic up as being something worth stringently maintaining and it serves as a delay towards progress when needing to account for it when first starting, assuming you are playing like a normal person and didn't start playing the game knowing how to suckle at the greatest credit faucets in the game. It only serves as another benefit for paid prebuilts even if that's just a percentage reduction of a minor nuisance.

On a semi-related note, I don't really get what people find to be worth paying for with the prebuilts given what you get from a pure performance package, the apparent extreme ease to replicate it with CR and the minimization of the secondary benefits of the system.

I'm in favour of getting rid of it, but I'd like to remind everyone (again) that cash isn't needed to be using this ship right now.
With the caviot that you already had a supply of saved arx. Otherwise you're either spending or waiting through weekly limits, worst case being that you may as well wait till August.

Edit: Unless there's something I'm not aware of, in which case I'm all ears.

Last edited:
With the caviot that you already had a supply of saved arx. Otherwise you're either spending or waiting through weekly limits, worst case being that you may as well wait till August.
Right but it's an important point. FD gave people a way to get stuff, whether it was an evil plan or not, people can use it to their advantage to avoid paying actual money. This should negate any argument about pay to win, but of course it hasn't because: "what if I spent everything instead of saving some?"

In that case it would need to be required for an activity which the Python 2 still isn't. A hypothetical argument is fine but we're talking about the Python 2.

It doesn't need to be mandatory either. It simply needs to provide any kind of in-game advantage.

As far as I am concerned, the Python Mk II is blatantly pay-to-win. So is the Cobra Mk IV. So are my pre-order/backer benefits. They aren't going to overcome even modest differences in skill, time, experience, or anything else, but they do skew thing in favor of those who have paid real money and they could all easily have been omitted. This is distinct from things like player time, system specs, or choice of controls, none of which Frontier can reasonably limit.

I'm in favour of getting rid of it, but I'd like to remind everyone (again) that cash isn't needed to be using this ship right now.

For most players it likely is. Until a month or so ago, there was no foreseeable reason to stockpile 'free' Arx for ships.

This should negate any argument about pay to win, but of course it hasn't because: "what if I spent everything instead of saving some?"

Paying money still allows one to shortcut whatever gameplay would have been required, irrespective of that.

If there is any scenario where spending out-of-game money on in game assets can skew in-game performance, I'm calling it pay-to-win. Everything else is a matter of subjective degrees, with subjective cut offs.

Right but it's an important point. FD gave people a way to get stuff, whether it was an evil plan or not, people can use it to their advantage to avoid paying actual money. This should negate any argument about pay to win, but of course it hasn't because: "what if I spent everything instead of saving some?"

Fair, though 3.5 months for the basic and around 7 for the prebuild. May as well wait for August if you own Odyssey and are tapped out.

Last edited:
As far as I am concerned, the Python Mk II is blatantly pay-to-win.
Have you flown it yet? I get that how good/bad the ship is isn't relevant to your criterion, but just curious.
So is the Cobra Mk IV.
Again I understand the sentiment here, but it just tickles me that FD can produce what players consider the worst ship in the game and there will be some calling it pay to win. Well, everyone has their opinions.

I threw down: I spent 9 years in the Bubble and am staying in Colonia for the foreseeable future, as of sometimes around update 14. So given there are still not even any SCO modules up here, figured, I wouldn't see an August release for an MKII...and, no, I'm not coming back...because then I won't go back to Colonia haha.

Top Bottom