Be honest everyone. Who will most likely purchase the Python MkII..?

Too curvy for a Faulcon DeLacy. I honestly think the devs put too much effort into it:rolleyes: I like my MK's to be more subtle and conservative - this looks like a whole new model from a different manufacturer. Ja, ja, I am not an easy pilot to please:) - so not popping ARX on this. Still I can not contain my excitement for new ships, finally, NEW SHIPS!!!:love:
In one of the dev streams, they've talked about the change in ship design for the future. Said how they're moving away from polygonal design to go with something a bit more in line with current day aviation design. Python 2 definitely looks like something from Lockheed Skunkworks so they nailed the design they were aiming for.

The new type of hull is why the P2 flies well in overcharge, or perhaps I dreamed that part. It's not in Galnet so must've been in a livestream. We can expect future ships in the new OC supercruise era to be pretty sleek as well. Will be interesting to see a sleek looking Lakon Type 8!

I will not support this business practise in any way, especially since ED was specifically marketed as NOT being pay-to-win*.

*I am aware that this can be easily downplayed by the usual folk around here, my point stays even if you can work around this fact (for now). It further makes your RL income compareable to in-game time.

Last edited:
here is s comparison between fdl python and P2.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsnBO42B29Y

Flimley

I'm rather disappointed that it mostly focuses on rotationals, especially since it's clear they changed something with the thrusters given how much faster it's reverse acceleration is and how much better boost duration and/or acceleration are.

Has anyone done translational positive and negative acceleration tests, examined ENG pip slopes, or compared the blue-zone/out-of-blue-zone performance, yet? These are areas that have a profound impact on the way ships move.

I'm rather disappointed that it mostly focuses on rotationals, especially since it's clear they changed something with the thrusters given how much faster it's reverse acceleration is and how much better boost duration and/or acceleration are.

Has anyone done translational positive and negative acceleration tests, examined ENG pip slopes, or compared the blue-zone/out-of-blue-zone performance, yet? These are areas that have a profound impact on the way ships move.
Very reminiscent of the old kornelius vids. Grimulas has produced some kind of comparison video involving engineered M FDL and P2.
haven't watched it myself. But suspect the big YouTube new ships comparison rush has just begun.

Flimley

Last edited:
I will not support this business practise im any way, especially since ED was specifically marketed as NOT being pay-to-win*.

*I am aware that this can be easily downplayed by the usual folk around here, my points stays even if you can work around this fact (for now). It further makes your RL income compareable to in-game time.
I have no isssue with someone upholding their principles.
Provided they permit me the freedom to choose, without making an issue out of that choice.

If you don't like, you don't have to use it.

I'm using mine for ship to ship assassination missions and quick travel to ground mission sites. I was able to take down a Corvette and two FDLs (three separate mission targets all decided to attack at once) and not drop below 60% shields.

It's clearly meant to compete with the Mamba and FDL, not the old Python.
Didn't say I didn't like it. You did. Don't bother replying...

And a smaller PP, PD, and fewer compartments of lower class. Right. (y)
Had it a class 7 PD, PP, and the same internals as the Python 1, while maintaining its mobility, supercruise boost capability, utilities and shield capacity, it would be SERIOUSLY unbalanced, and many more would be -- justifiably so -- very unhappy that such a ship would be available for Arx before becoming generally available. I don't think we need a design that sidelines FDL, Mamba, Chieftain etc. ;)

I love mine. It's a perfect killer, ideal for clearing Haz Rez in no time. I prefer it over my PvE murder corvette, and THAT is a feat neither FDL, nor Mamba have ever managed.

Last edited:
Grimulas has produced some kind of comparison video involving engineered M FDL and P2.
haven't watched it myself. But suspect the big YouTube new ships comparison rush has just begun.

That's just an outfitting comparison.

If this were a beta or a standard release I'd have the figures I'm looking for within an hour of the patch going live. As it is, I've seen half a dozen comparison videos and I'm still missing most of the relevant performance metrics that could tell me whether the flight model is mostly just a faster python derivative, or if it's an actual competitor with the more transalationally performant ships.

Since Frontier doesn't actually publish any of this stuff players need to test it and cutting the test pool to a subset of those least likely to care about how ships actually work is one of the most frustrating aspects of putting it behind a(nother) paywall.

Had it a class 7 PD, PP, and the same internals as the Python 1, while maintaining its mobility, supercruise boost capability, utilities and shield capacity, it would SERIOUSLY unbalanced.

I was worried it was going to completely dominate if it was just an FDL-speed Python with an extra large hardpoint.

The internals all look much more balanced than I had hoped (the reduction in distributor size being most notable). Should be competitive, but has enough trade-offs that it shouldn't be the clear choice for every combat pilot.

Of course, I would still like to know how exactly it flies...

Had it a class 7 PD, PP, and the same internals as the Python 1, while maintaining its mobility, supercruise boost capability, utilities and shield capacity, it would be SERIOUSLY unbalanced, and many more would be -- justifiably so -- very unhappy that such a ship would be available for Arx before becoming generally available. I don't think we need a design that sidelines FDL, Mamba, Chieftain etc. ;)

I love mine. It's a perfect killer, ideal for clearing Haz Rez in no time. I prefer it over my PvE murder corvette, and THAT is a feat neither FDL, nor Mamba have ever managed.
I stopped hanging out here quite some time ago, until I read about the 'new' Python II, so didn't know about the FDL comparison. I'll keep it, as it's a fun ship, and I sold the FDL as I no longer need it, but in it's current configuration, it doesn't kill as fast as my 'vette, nor is it suitable as a general all around replacement for my 'vette.

All in all, it's not a bad little ship. Enjoy yours. (y)

I will not support this business practise im any way, especially since ED was specifically marketed as NOT being pay-to-win*.

*I am aware that this can be easily downplayed by the usual folk around here, my points stays even if you can work around this fact (for now). It further makes your RL income compareable to in-game time.
Ship isn't pay to win, it's well-balanced. Maybe a little underbalanced, based on your expectations or what you want to use it for.

As for the usual folk comment. I'm not generally a "usual tolk" or white knight, but FD are having some serious financial problems right now, and as usual nobody has any alternative funding solutions. The model with the Python is incredibly generous. If you don't want to pay for it, you can still get it two different ways. Other companies generally make you pay for the things they produce. Be grateful for the white knights, because they are funding the game you are playing.

Ship isn't pay to win, it's well-balanced. Maybe a little underbalanced, based on your expectations or what you want to use it for.

As for the usual folk comment. I'm not generally a "usual tolk" or white knight, but FD are having some serious financial problems right now, and as usual nobody has any alternative funding solutions. The model with the Python is incredibly generous. If you don't want to pay for it, you can still get it two different ways. Other companies generally make you pay for the things they produce. Be grateful for the white knights, because they are funding the game you are playing.

I see it as a chance to support FD. I don't mind making a contribution if it helps keep the AWS mice running.

Otherwise we won't have ANYTHING to complain about...

and as usual nobody has any alternative funding solutions.
I've seen a few, mainly along the lines of "develop game to attract more customers". It's a good model that has worked for the majority of games ever created, including Elite.
Other companies generally make you pay for the things they produce. Be grateful for the white knights, because they are funding the game you are playing.
1715290814525.png

I've seen a few, mainly along the lines of "develop game to attract more customers". It's a good model that has worked for the majority of games ever created, including Elite.

View attachment 392458
I'm sure FD would love to attract more customers, and this year's announcements and new ships probably are, but one dev at minimum UK dev salary will cost a company 50k per year. Someone buys the stock Python 2, they haven't even paid for one hour of his labour. More customers and skin sales won't fund development, at least not the kind we want.

Buying Elite doesn't pay for all future development btw. How far do you think the price of the base game should take you in terms of funding new content?

Ship isn't pay to win, it's well-balanced.

Doesn't need to be unbalanced to be pay-to-win.

I see it as a chance to support FD. I don't mind making a contribution if it helps keep the AWS mice running.

Otherwise we won't have ANYTHING to complain about...

I can think of several examples of online games that were in a better state after their original operators went under or otherwise stopped supporting them.

Not saying this would automatically be the case with Elite: Dangerous--more likely than not there wouldn't be a release or leak substantial enough to do what I want to do--but the last time I felt like the game was taking more steps forward than back was way back in 2016 with the release of Horizons.

At this point Frontier is at least as much of a barrier to my enjoyment of the game as anything and what little hope I have left for it's future mostly involve FDev abruptly going bankrupt and and the server software becoming available in the ensuing chaos. I can still find enjoyment in the game we have, but that's been whittled away, bit by bit, for the last eight years. The game I had, the game I want to have some semblance of again, is not compatible with FDev being in control of it.

So yeah, I respect the positions of those who want to continue to support a developer that is catering to them, but FD's well being is not in my best interest and I am not grateful for this protracted decline.

I'm sure FD would love to attract more customers, and this year's announcements and new ship probably is, but one dev at minimum UK dev salary will cost a company 50k per year. Someone buys the stock Python 2, they haven't even paid for one hour of his labour. More customers and skin sales won't fund development, at least not the kind we want.

Buying Elite doesn't pay for all future development btw. How far do you think the price of the base game should take you in terms of new features?
Try applying this argument to the Python 2, like you sort of already started. Buying it doesn't pay for all future development, right? How far should it take you? It won't even pay for an hour of dev time.

The difference is that many, many more people buy the game than will buy the Python Mk2. That's how they've been able to fund the games development for the last decade. The cost of developing new features isn't per-player, and the idea is that it'll pay for itself by growing the playerbase.

Selling a few ships to core active playerbase, though, that's not going to fund radical new development. Its just the icing on top. The lack of major development is a management decision, not because they physically don't have the funds for it.

I stopped hanging out here quite some time ago
Your absence was noted... Great to see you back!
I'll keep it, as it's a fun ship
There is a certain charm to it!
All in all, it's not a bad little ship. Enjoy yours. (y)
I suspect that players who bought it for pure fun are not going to be too disappointed, I was teamed up with another squadron member last night "testing" the P2 in various mission types. We laughed a lot and had a great time - surpeisingly good for PvE play.
As for the usual folk comment. I'm not generally a "usual folk" or white knight
Nope, you ain't, and all the better for it!

Top Bottom