Be honest everyone. Who will most likely purchase the Python MkII..?

Dayum, never thought i needed a /s at the end of the post.
It was obviously so, but the point was excellent
And yes, i do disagree. But if you are fine with these practices, that's your choice of course
Realistically, the only choice that can matter to me is the choice I am able to make - the things that may be dictated by the choice of the masses (Democracy anyone?), as an individual I have no control over.
As for fine with these practises, we apparently hold exact opposite opinions, I am able to say no when I disagree with something, buthten, we are not so different, so might you.
i'll be less likely to buy their products in the future.
I have bought one of their products... Also unlikely to buy any more in the future - have you bought every one of their titles and all of the DLC for them so far?

It was obviously so, but the point was excellent

Realistically, the only choice that can matter to me is the choice I am able to make - the things that may be dictated by the choice of the masses (Democracy anyone?), as an individual I have no control over.
As for fine with these practises, we apparently hold exact opposite opinions, I am able to say no when I disagree with something, buthten, we are not so different, so might you.

I have bought one of their products... Also unlikely to buy any more in the future - have you bought every one of their titles and all of the DLC for them so far?

Nah, other than ED, only bought Planet Coaster. Doesn't mean they won't make other products i'm interested in in the future though... assuming they continue to exist.

Designed life, a product is only supposed to last a certain number of years and then you replace it, what would manufacturers do if they did not have repeat customers.
That is correct. And elite dangerous design life was designated to be roughly ten years. (if all went well).
that time has passed. And I'm very glad frontier have chosen to extend the life of this game. But as a product it's way past being able to survive on new sales and paint skins Alone
It flies in a straight line with SCO enabled...
And may not go on fire in the process. 🎉

Flimley

ED should have been their golden child, the one they invested the most into,
If you compare lifetime earnings versus lifetime profits in Frontier's investor reports, then ED is absolutely the franchise that they've invested the most into. And it's not even close - it beats any two of their others combined, and probably quite a few combinations of three.

ED is second only to JWE1 in terms of lifetime earnings at the moment
It's fifth - also behind Planet Coaster, Planet Zoo and JWE2 - in terms of profitability, because so much of that revenue has been spent on further Elite Dangerous developments (and keeping the servers running, of course, but that's certainly not the major expense).

For Odyssey they spent essentially Elite Dangerous' entire revenue for three years on its development.

They're still spending money on developing it today, ten years in, long after their other franchises would have been expected to "earn out" and been end-of-lifed in favour of something newer.

Whatever else might be, "too little investment in Elite" is not Frontier's problem as a business.

assuming they continue to exist.
My gut feeling is that, if they do not 'magically' increase their revenue stream, they won't exist in a few years.
... but, if my bunging them the price of a fast food snack every few months, and a few others doing the same, keeps the lights on a little longer than they may have been, it benefits me, and, even being on a pension, I am able to spend less than a tenner on fripperies if I wish, just not every day...

If you compare lifetime earnings versus lifetime profits in Frontier's investor reports, then ED is absolutely the franchise that they've invested the most into. And it's not even close - it beats any two of their others combined, and probably quite a few combinations of three.

ED is second only to JWE1 in terms of lifetime earnings at the moment
It's fifth - also behind Planet Coaster, Planet Zoo and JWE2 - in terms of profitability, because so much of that revenue has been spent on further Elite Dangerous developments (and keeping the servers running, of course, but that's certainly not the major expense).

For Odyssey they spent essentially Elite Dangerous' entire revenue for three years on its development.

They're still spending money on developing it today, ten years in, long after their other franchises would have been expected to "earn out" and been end-of-lifed in favour of something newer.

Whatever else might be, "too little investment in Elite" is not Frontier's problem as a business.

Well, in that case, they squandered the money because from a player's perspective the game doesn't show that level of investment. Basically it turns it from lack of care in ED to mismanagement of the project and funds.

No, because clearly you don't think it is shady. If i start giving my reasons, we'll just end up in a worthless back and forth disagreeing, with me saying it is, and you saying its not.
I'll that as you having to reasonable arguments to back up your claim. Just boycotting this out of principle, even though you can't really explain why.

My gut feeling is that, if they do not 'magically' increase their revenue stream, they won't exist in a few years.
... but, if my bunging them the price of a fast food snack every few months, and a few others doing the same, keeps the lights on a little longer than they may have been, it benefits me, and, even being on a pension, I am able to spend less than a tenner on fripperies if I wish, just not every day...

As I said, i'm fine with throwing them money if it adds features via a DLC more cosmetics or whatever.

I will not reward FD for EA on a ship that is fully functioning in game but being deliberately withheld from the community for 3 months in order to make money. I think its a business practice that should not be rewarded.

I will not reward FD for selling premade ships either. Not that i personally need those ships, but its giving FD real world money for in-game assets that should cost in-game money. Its way too close to selling credits for real money. Don't want to spend 20 million credits on a base Challenger? Sure, just give FD some money and you will get one. For us veterans, 20 million is peanuts, but for a newbie its a leg up achieved with real world money. And how long before FD start selling G5 engineered ships if they see money come in from this? How much money could they make if they sold top tier upgraded ships?

Some might say "FD wouldn't do this", to which is say, LOL, they are a company, one apparently needing a cash injection. When push comes to shove, they will do what the need to, and the board, beancounters, and shareholders will be looking at the results with interest.

I'll that as you having to reasonable arguments to back up your claim. Just boycotting this out of principle, even though you can't really explain why.
Each of us holds a "moral stance" in all things...

I think it is certainly a shady practise when I can buy 24 cans of Pepsi for £4.50 last week, and this week those same cans are £10.50, and in a couple of weeks they will be £7.50, and so on.

It is certainly shady in democracy when I wanted the Pyjama Party to be in charge and the Painted Clowns won because someone else didn't agree with me...

So it is with games, affront over almost everything is commonplace (not just here, another game I deliberately pre-ordered (it released and was brilliant) has been criticised from day 1 as too expensive by folk who want it for peanuts - (just wait for the steam sale people!) so Frontier deciding to give players the option to spend their hard-earned, or not, will get a similar reception by some.

Best thing is to follow your own "moral lighthouse" and accept that others will always disagree with your choice.

Take it however you want. I've presented my reasoning many times and seen exactly how the conversation goes each time. It was clear from your tone that it would go the same way. You're not interested in hearing my arguments and my arguments won't change your mind. You'll just say "nah ha, you're wrong"

I still do debate people and give my reasons, but mainly against people i care about. People like @Rat Catcher @Rubbernuke and others, we go back a long way, we might be friends in game or be on a common Discord channel or just a long history of discussing things on the forum. These people I do care to debate with and I like them as people.

You, i don't know from Adam. So if you want to go "Oh, you don't want to debate with me, so that means i win"... sure, go celebrate if you want.

And how long before FD start selling G5 engineered ships if they see money come in from this? How much money could they make if they sold top tier upgraded ships?
I sincerely hope they do just that, and for a few people to rage-quit when they do...

I won't bother trying to explain my reasoning, you wouldn't like it.

Well, in that case, they squandered the money because from a player's perspective the game doesn't show that level of investment. Basically it turns it from lack of care in ED to mismanagement of the project and funds.
This is actually something I don't really understand. If you are so utterly miserable playing the game, why do you keep playing it?

It reminds me of those negative reviews on Steam for some game (not just ED but many other "endless" games) where according to the Steam stats the reviewer has played the game for, like, 3000 hours, yet the review completely bashes the game and about considers it the worst game in existence, and utterly recommends against anybody buying the game.

It just baffles my mind. If that person is so utterly miserable playing the game, why spend 3000 hours on it? If the game was entertaining enough for the reviewer to spend thousands of hours on it, why recommend against anybody doing so as well? It's like they have grown disillusioned with the game, become miserable, and want everybody else to be as miserable with it as well.

Both those statements are the same.

Lionels-Truth.png

Top Bottom