Best game ever

Here's the amazing thing, though. For players with the right mindset, arguably all of the iterations of Elite from the Acorn original via ArcElite through Frontier (and even FFE if you can forgive the buggy rushed release) could lay claim -- for their eras and platforms -- to the title of Best Game Ever. Every one of them pushed the limits of the available hardware and expanded the scale of what a space-based computer game could offer.

ED comes in for a lot of flak for a whole bunch of reasons. It has a very broad and therefore somewhat unfocused appeal, often leading to cries of "This game could be perfect if only they'd concentrate on the stuff I like and ignore the stuff I don't." The rate of development has varied from blisteringly fast to glacially slow, causing frustration and uncertainty. The design Proposals laid out during KS/DDF were wildly optimistic, which was always going to result in some disappointment no matter how good or unique the game was at launch, or how well it has evolved since.

But if you can put all that aside (and I will confess it took me a long time with that last point) and treat it as only the latest iteration of a line that began with the 8-bit version in 1984, it really is an astonishing achievement. Once again it's pushed the limits of the available technology and expanded the scale, this time into a fully rendered and shared galaxy. David Braben and his various associates over the years have captured lightning in a bottle so many times it's unreal. Sometimes it's easy to forget that.

And yes, the video of the April Update was very impressive. I remain a bit sceptical about the curated events, but they're not my bread and butter gameplay so perhaps I'm being unduly dismissive. But all of the little interface tweaks and QOL improvements look great, and are IMO exactly what the game needs as it moves towards the big 2020 update, whatever form that may take. If FD can continue to polish things to this standard, maybe the delay to the release of 4.xx will turn out to be one of the best things that could have happened to ED.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
EVER!

Change my mind. you can’t.

Today’s livestream restored my faith in FDev. Elite Dangerous is (IMO) the best game ever made. I can’t wait to see what 2020 brings.

I hope its servers stay online as long as the Guardian terminals.

I only started playing in May 2018 and I can’t get enough. I have about 600 or 700 hours in game, I’m double (nearly triple) elite, and I still feel as though there’s not enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do in Elite.

Elite is GREAT. FDev are GREAT. And this community is THE BEST.

Who’s with me??

700 hours hey. Now is the right time then to post a most negative review in Steam.

I would in no way classify Elite as the best game ever. Not even by a long shot.
However, there is no game that got me so hooked and got me to invest so many hours of playtime (and €'s on skins. Or €'s on hardware even). Also not by a long shot.

In short: it's not the best game to me, but it seems to be the one I love the most.
I dare you to make sense of that :LOL:

I would in no way classify Elite as the best game ever. Not even by a long shot.
However, there is no game that got me so hooked and got me to invest so many hours of playtime (and €'s on skins. Or €'s on hardware even). Also not by a long shot.

In short: it's not the best game to me, but it seems to be the one I love the most.
I dare you to make sense of that :LOL:
Yes - it’s really amazing. Elite is almost more of a lifestyle than a simple game. If I’m being honest, It’s a part of my life, and not an inconsequential part. I’ve never joined groups and communities and servers to discuss a video game before. I’ve never spent hours reading about a video game’s fictional lore and mysteries.

It’s just a fantastic game and I’m so glad it exists. As someone said in a livestream I watched recently (again, I’ve never watched a single live stream of anyone playing any other video game before), “nobody complains about a game they don’t care about.”

Elite gets a lot of criticism but I think that’s a product of how much it is loved by the people who play it.

I've played about 1200 hours now according to steam. I've struggled with my feelings about elite that entire time. some days I want to play it for 12 hours straight, other days I don't even want to turn it on. I don't think its the best game ever, but its held my attention despite my attitudes and mood swings. I cannot go to sleep good if I don't hear my ship engines regularly so that says something. when I first bought the game I uninstalled it multiple times and had to put it back on because I lay in bed and all I could hear was a ship engine echoing in my head and it didn't go away until I reinstalled the game. I have since kept it on my computer.

I'm interested in the next update though, I'm sure I will use the new advanced docking computer on my trade ship because when you're doing that for 12 hours in a day it's tiring after a while and it'll be nice to be able to let go of the controls a little bit while doing trades. Exploration will be more interesting with the auto cruise orbital, I do that now to get a closer look at planets and having that will make for some nice screen shots. It is quite beautiful out there.

Here's the amazing thing, though. For players with the right mindset, arguably all of the iterations of Elite from the Acorn original via ArcElite through Frontier (and even FFE if you can forgive the buggy rushed release) could lay claim -- for their eras and platforms -- to the title of Best Game Ever. Every one of them pushed the limits of the available hardware and expanded the scale of what a space-based computer game could offer.

ED comes in for a lot of flak for a whole bunch of reasons. It has a very broad and therefore somewhat unfocused appeal, often leading to cries of "This game could be perfect if only they'd concentrate on the stuff I like and ignore the stuff I don't." The rate of development has varied from blisteringly fast to glacially slow, causing frustration and uncertainty. The design Proposals laid out during KS/DDF were wildly optimistic, which was always going to result in some disappointment no matter how good or unique the game was at launch, or how well it has evolved since.

But if you can put all that aside (and I will confess it took me a long time with that last point) and treat it as only the latest iteration of a line that began with the 8-bit version in 1984, it really is an astonishing achievement. Once again it's pushed the limits of the available technology and expanded the scale, this time into a fully rendered and shared galaxy. David Braben and his various associates over the years have captured lightning in a bottle so many times it's unreal. Sometimes it's easy to forget that.

And yes, the video of the April Update was very impressive. I remain a bit sceptical about the curated events, but they're not my bread and butter gameplay so perhaps I'm being unduly dismissive. But all of the little interface tweaks and QOL improvements look great, and are IMO exactly what the game needs as it moves towards the big 2020 update, whatever form that may take. If FD can continue to polish things to this standard, maybe the delay to the release of 4.xx will turn out to be one of the best things that could have happened to ED.
Has somebody hacked your account? :p

DDastardly00

D
I've played about 1200 hours now according to steam. I've struggled with my feelings about elite that entire time. some days I want to play it for 12 hours straight, other days I don't even want to turn it on. I don't think its the best game ever, but its held my attention despite my attitudes and mood swings. I cannot go to sleep good if I don't hear my ship engines regularly so that says something. when I first bought the game I uninstalled it multiple times and had to put it back on because I lay in bed and all I could hear was a ship engine echoing in my head and it didn't go away until I reinstalled the game. I have since kept it on my computer.

I'm interested in the next update though, I'm sure I will use the new advanced docking computer on my trade ship because when you're doing that for 12 hours in a day it's tiring after a while and it'll be nice to be able to let go of the controls a little bit while doing trades. Exploration will be more interesting with the auto cruise orbital, I do that now to get a closer look at planets and having that will make for some nice screen shots. It is quite beautiful out there.

This one is easy, you love the game but have commitment issues....NEXT!

Regarding OP, I was ready to jump on the bandwagon and give you some rep, but the bugs in this game are just...they tend to take the wind out of my sails at times. I have been having some fun on my alt account and I am currently trying to rank up rep to get a permit for Qwent. Just earlier today, I grab a mission, head over to the system, scan the nav and see this, a 237,000 ls trip to the USS:

Well, I decide to bite the bullet and fly out and complete it instead of abandoning the mission. Get jumped by an FDL and 3 other ships, but no big deal, grab the samples and head back. Of course, as buggy as this game is, I cannot turn in the samples. They are still in my inventory and the mission is still there and my message is to go back and scan the nav beacon.

GMXs9dd.png

Best game ever? A few hours ago, I was in the mood to say yes. Now, meh, not so much. Maybe tomorrow I will change my mind!

Regarding OP, I was ready to jump on the bandwagon and give you some rep, but the bugs in this game are just...they tend to take the wind out of my sails at times. I have been having some fun on my alt account and I am currently trying to rank up rep to get a permit for Qwent. Just earlier today, I grab a mission, head over to the system, scan the nav and see this, a 237,000 ls trip to the USS:

Well, I decide to bite the bullet and fly out and complete it instead of abandoning the mission. Get jumped by an FDL and 3 other ships, but no big deal, grab the samples and head back. Of course, as buggy as this game is, I cannot turn in the samples. They are still in my inventory and the mission is still there and my message is to go back and scan the nav beacon.

GMXs9dd.png

Best game ever? A few hours ago, I was in the mood to say yes. Now, meh, not so much. Maybe tomorrow I will change my mind!
I mean... I hear you... but look at your post...

You LOVE this game.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

GMXs9dd.png

Out of curiosity, as it is not clear in the mission pic, how many samples did you have to retrieve?

Top Bottom