Game Discussions Bethesda Softworks Starfield Space RPG

Give me Skyrim, in space, with multiple smaller maps accessed through a spaceship cutscene, keep mod support, and that's good enough for me. Anything more is just gravy.

Bonus points if that could be the end of the first person Fallout experiment or the multiplayer-shoehorning too, but then I'm dreaming.

It's also had a massive revamp.

How's about waiting until it releases before you pass judgement?

As is my way, I'll pass my own judgement being of an age to do so with some measure of experience behind me. You of course are entitled to think otherwise on this.

In the meantime, lets hope a revamp is indeed going to change this engine.

:)

Apparently a November 2022 release date also.

Even though I've been disappointed with Bethesda for the past half decade, I still remember the many years of joy and the many thousands of hours of entertainment I got for Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind and Fallout3... I have more hours played in some Bethesda titles than in all other games I ever played combined. Skyrim is still a permanent install on my PC and with the help of mods keeping it fresh I still play it quite frequently.

So even though the blunders in latest years prevent me from getting too excited until I see it with my own eyes, I do look forward to know more about Starfield and truly hope it will be another huge hit I can enjoy for thousands of hours like those previous Bethesda titles I loved so much in the past, and hope that Bethesda can go back to the day where every game they made would be the top dog of it's generation.

TL;DR; I really, really want to believe Godd Howard again, got my expectations in check but also my fingers crossed!

As is my way, I'll pass my own judgement being of an age to do so with some measure of experience behind me. You of course are entitled to think otherwise on this.

2011- 2021....Doesn't look like odyssey made a big leap in its engine....fallout 4 already looks better than odyssey so i'm sure Starfield it will look more great

Attachments

• digitalfoundry-2016-skyrim-hd-special-edition-compared-to-maxed-out-pc-1465905967559.jpg
    digitalfoundry-2016-skyrim-hd-special-edition-compared-to-maxed-out-pc-1465905967559.jpg
    863.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Elite-Dangerous-Odyssey-alpha-1-800x400.jpg
    Elite-Dangerous-Odyssey-alpha-1-800x400.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 70

11-11-2022. On the anniversary of Elder's Scroll Skyrim in 11-11-2011

Deleted member 110222

D

Your reasoning is wrong.

Invalid predictions are invalid.

RIP

(And no, I don't give a damn how old you are. Age means nothing when dealing with new tech, which is largely why it's taken Bethesda so long. This is actually now being treated as a new engine. Built upon the old, sure, but with enough changes to be something else. That is why it's stupid to make assumptions right now.)

That ... awful...fugly....game engine. Them lifeless eyes, them plastic faces reminiscent of advanced liver disease.
That's more to do with the fact Bethesda artists either produce by design textures etc aimed to run in potato PCs, or they're just not very good (or a combination of both) rather than the engine's fault.

Take a peek at some Skyrim modded characters:

40038-0-1472363320.jpg

40038-0-1455358261.jpg

40038-12-1455357730.jpg

40038-1-1456303778.jpg

Images source is the the "Bijin Warmaidens" mod from the Nexus Mods site: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition (needs login to see the mod)

EDIT: Replaced mod direct link with mod title as the mod link might be considered NSFW.

My Skyrim install looks as good as any current top notch game, but it probably doesn't have a single vanilla texture in it and very few original meshes. It has also modded lighting, weather systems, water, grass, forests, etc etc which combined makes a gigantic difference in graphics, but the point is that in the end it's all running under the very same Creation engine as plain old vanilla skyrim.

Of course, my current skyrim build would most likely run at 2 frames per second on my old PC back in 2011 when the game was released, and that if it would even run at all instead of CTDing immediately. But again it just shows that the engine can run beautiful, impressive visuals stuff just as well as the ugly stuff if was released with.

If you wish, take look at a couple of skyrim ultra-modded videos (youtube is full of them) to see what the engine is capable of doing.

TL;DR; It's really not the engine's fault why the vanilla graphics are poor, the engine can actually run with very impressive visuals as well.

Sorry for the lenghty OT.

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
That's more to do with the fact Bethesda artists either produce by design textures etc aimed to run in potato PCs, or they're just not very good (or a combination of both) rather than the engine's fault.

40038-0-1472363320.jpg

40038-0-1455358261.jpg

40038-12-1455357730.jpg

40038-1-1456303778.jpg

Source from images is this mod (has lots more pics): https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1825

My Skyrim install looks as good as any current top notch game, but it probably doesn't have a single vanilla texture in it and very few original meshes. It has also modded lighting, weather systems, water, grass, forests, etc etc which combined makes a gigantic difference in graphics, but the point is that in the end it's all running under the very same Creation engine as plain old vanilla skyrim.

Of course, my current skyrim build would most likely run at 2 frames per second back in 2011 when the game was released, and that if it would even run at all instead of CTDing immediately.

If you wish, take look at a couple of skyrim ultra-modded videos (youtube is full of them) to see what the engine is capable of doing.

TL;DR; It's really not the engine's fault why the vanilla graphics are poor, the engine can actually run with very impressive visuals as well.

Nice post, and yep, very accurate. Think he forgets that Bethesda tries to make their games available for many people, not just the uber-PC "elite"

And as mod support is carrying on as ever, these types of graphical mods will continue as well.

Deleted member 110222

D

40038-0-1472363320.jpg

40038-0-1455358261.jpg

40038-12-1455357730.jpg

40038-1-1456303778.jpg

Source from images is this mod (has lots more pics): https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1825

Of course, my current skyrim build would most likely run at 2 frames per second back in 2011 when the game was released, and that if it would even run at all instead of CTDing immediately.

Also heads up, your mod link is NSFW protected. ;)

I'm quite hyped, but I'm a Skyrim guy, so Bethesda hasn't had opportunity to ruin my opinion of them (never bothered with Fallout). Give me Skyrim in space, especially if I can fly my ship, and I'll disappear from the real world for another year like I did when I bought Skyrim.

"I used to be an explorer like you until I caught a rocket in the stabilizer." :ROFLMAO:

All I'll need is the "Bijin Pilots" mod to make my game complete.

iu

Starfield looks nice, but graphics shouldn't be a top priority. The level of detail is a lot better than ED because it's made for current gen consoles and high-end PCs.

ED has last-gen consoles that need to be able to run it. I think Frontier will make a current-gen console version in the near future when they port it to PS5 and Xbox.

Aside from the LOD, ED's technical achievements of having a 1:1 scale galaxy and a massive cross-platform, background sim far outshines whatever they're trying to do with Starfield.

ED lacks personal story-driven campaigns, that could be sold as DLC.

Last edited:
What I read is that Starfield is PC and XBox exclusive, unfortunately. No PSx port.

Yep. This was one the the factors that swung me over to getting a gaming PC rather than wait for the PS5, because I knew back then that Sony would be missing out on the exclusives I'm most interested in (Starfield, MSFS, Space Engineers, etc).

Yep. This was one the the factors that swung me over to getting a gaming PC rather than wait for the PS5, because I knew back then that Sony would be missing out on the exclusives I'm most interested in (Starfield, MSFS, Space Engineers, etc).
And now with Microsoft basically have made XBox and PC gaming interchangeable, it's a double incentive to do either or both. Sony probably has to come up with some new solutions at some point.

Is it not in alpha soon and it gets released Nov 2022??

Do games like this go to alpha? I don't remember Skyrim having any public test release before launch. It's mighty dangerous to do with a narrative-driven game. Especially these days, were there's always somebody who ignores any NDA and posts videos immediately to Youtube (remembers MSFS alpha).

Is it not in alpha soon and it gets released Nov 2022??
I hope Bethesda doesn't do alpha or beta. Seems like any pre-release/early-access raises more angst, anger, false hopes, and bad reviews in the end. I think it only works for small projects and small studios, not AAA. But that's just my opinion though.

Top Bottom