News Beyond 3.0 Beta 2 - Changes to Engineers

Weapons:
- Short Range:
Damage increase 65%->75%
(Max DPS increase 67.5% in live, 70% in beta, now 80% including experimentals)
- Overcharged:
Damage increase 55%->70%
(Max DPS increase 67.5% in live, 59% in beta, now 75% including experimentals)
- Rapid Fire:
Firing Interval reduction 40%->44% (ROF increase 66%->79%)
(Max DPS increase 67.5% in live, 63% in beta, now 74.7% including experimentals)
- Efficient:
Damage increase 17%->24%
(Max DPS increase 26% in live, 20.5% in beta, now 27.7% including experimentals)
Passive power draw reduction 40%->48%
WEP draw reduction 35%->45%
- Focused:
Heat increase halved (10%->5%)

I'm choking right now. You're serious? You want to go through with making Engineer blueprints allow a full 75% DPS increase to every individual weapon on a given ship? Like actually getting close to making any given weapon in the game *twice as effective*, way above and beyond merely being a 'worthwhile improvement'?

There's dangerous cliffs ahead, and we're about to flying over the edge. I've seen what's past the edge before, and I don't like it.

Last edited:
Engines and stuff are fine but can you PLEASE stop buffing the weapons and shield upgrades?! The power creep is too damn real. The effectiveness and time-to-kill gap between stock A-rated and even minimally engineered is already ridiculous as it is. Before engineers if you wanted to compete in PVP all you needed was the money and the skill. Now there's an additional grind wall to overcome to even get to entry level, and quickly swapping around different loadouts to see what works best for you is discouraged because you have to grind the mats for all of those upgrades too.

Just admit this thing was , grow a pair and tear it down so you can build it properly from the ground up. No grandfathering godrolls or buffing new rolls to compete with them, no more bloody RNGs, no more back and forth across the galaxy just to get all your lasers the right colour. Just user-definable tweaks that give small bonuses and small drawbacks to accentuate a ship's existing strengths or mitigate its weaknesses, one or the other, not both. God, how many times do we have to say this.

This is not extra power creep. This is just bringing the new blueprints up to the values of the old ones.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I'm choking right now. You're serious? You want to go through with making Engineer blueprints allow a full 75% DPS increase to every individual weapon on a given ship? Like actually getting close to making any given weapon in the game *twice as effective*, way above and beyond merely being a 'worthwhile improvement'?

There's dangerous cliffs ahead, and we're about to flying over the edge. I've seen what's past the edge before, and I don't like it.

Sounds like, with secondaries, they're already out there in Live....

A solution to railguns might be just to revert them to their old heat values. They didn't used to make so much heat, but were nerfed and basically became impractical without the -heat side effect.

Save the rail gun! No, I don't think making them near-useless except on ships with huge thermal capacity is the solution. We should be encouraging the use of rails (and plasma) as weapons that reward skill progress, not entrenching a situation whereby the best outcome is to fit 5-8 gimballed overcharged multi-cannons and then leaving a brick on the 'fire' button until the other guy runs out of chaff...

EDIT: My sincere apologies I thought you meant revert them to their useless really high heat values. I now realise you actually meant revert them to lower values. Yes, as Alexander the Grape has said and as I briefly discussed in my thread on topic, it may be that just 'stock' decreases in thermal load, or alternatively baked-in thermal load reductions in the blueprints themselves, would solve this problem, making the grandfathering irrelevant once a hard cap for thermal load reduction was in place (so, you don't get both!)

I think we just need a purchasable "reduces thermal load" experimental (for any item that has a thermal load).

No, railguns are powerful with feedback cascade oder super penetrator. It doesnt help of you have thermal load as a specific effect, if you cant have one of the others. At least as long as you cant have two experimentals..

Yes, Frontier have to ensure that going forwards any player can make a railgun or plasma accelerator that has a great primary blueprint (such as long range or focused) and a great special (such as feedback cascade or super penetrator, or dispersal or TLB) and thermal load reduction ... as now. Nothing else can compete.

I haven't looked into it yet myself so perhaps someone can help - does the same problem apply to shields, e.g. no way currently to equal god-rolled bi-weave with active and passive regen secondary buffs on top of all the primary values?

Last edited:

I hear what you're saying but if they're already pretty much in game behind the engineers bingo...

I hope for a balance pass on weapons and shields in the near future but lets get the grandfathering problem sorted first.

PvE engagements are already empty junk fights, great AI wasted on piloting ships outclassed by everything. Making the mods even more powerful seems like it'll exacerbate that.

I haven't looked into it yet myself so perhaps someone can help - does the same problem apply to shields, e.g. no way currently to equal god-rolled bi-weave with active and passive regen secondary buffs on top of all the primary values?

Regen is achievable with module experimentals, +15% for both iirc. The issue comes with Opt multiplier and mass. My Bi weave currently has +12% opt mass and +10% opt multiplier. Best you can get in beta is (iirc) +5% multiplier, no optimal mass and +20% power and cap draw as a cost :/

Great improvements team!

Hoping that the "engineer rep rolls reduction" is of enough impact.

The mod % changes look on the money so far

Wow.... You are listening to the community. I'm going to have to start saying nice things about you again, LOL [heart] [heart] [heart] [heart]

I hope for a balance pass on weapons and shields in the near future but lets get the grandfathering problem sorted first.

As ever this ^^ guy gets it.

Regen is achievable with module experimentals, +15% for both iirc. The issue comes with Opt multiplier and mass. My Bi weave currently has +12% opt mass and +10% opt multiplier. Best you can get in beta is (iirc) +5% multiplier, no optimal mass and +20% power and cap draw as a cost :/

OK, Frontier clearly have more work to do on the issues thrown up by secondaries. Still, as I keep saying, I applaud the progress. Cambridge team, keep at it, we know you can do it...

While this is an improvement for engineering generally, What is the issue with "power creep", How is it a bad thing if everyone has access? were essentially going to the "pre engineering" era where skill meant more than god rolls.

How ships handle is what makes this game. My advice to Fdev: Embrace it. People are always going to about something, but if satisfying them makes things less fun, please reconsider your priorities.

I vote 150 optimized mass dirty drives!

all in favor?

I hear what you're saying but if they're already pretty much in game behind the engineers bingo...

It's a bit ridiculous that they'd have to go about doing it in this order just to keep a few people from throwing the toys out when all that really needs doing is balancing the grandfathered items to the new system.

I don't have a lot of mats, but having previously used almost everything I had, the dweller only required 1 spin at lvl 1 to 100% it and 1 spin at lvl 2 to almost 100% it and unlock lvl 3 on a multicannon hi cap mag mod

I just testet the FSA on my Explorer Conda. I am currently Exploring with 60.01 LJ Range. So I took the FSD back to grade 4 and rolled 7 times grade 5 to get it to max optimized mass and 1 upgrade experimantal. I am now at 63,8 LJ with 61.2% optimzed mass and all reds also maxxed out. this will be a FSD everyone will sport as it is the max you can get. It doesn't get much easier than that but it feels wrong.

Not a bit personalised. When I was rolling I noticed that the reds don't even roll, they just settle for max every time. This feels wrong. Let the reds be random in their predefined corridors. Don't make them better every time like the blue values but let them random at least a bit.

Don't get me wrong. I like this much better than before but there should be at least a little randomness left somewhere. I would also like a second experimantal slot, that can be unlocked by delivering some hard to get materials or something alike. this would make some room for personalisation like e.g. lightweight modules. Of course some experimatals should be blocked by other experimentals in that case like lightweight and integrity

So the community has been quite vocal in saying it doesn’t make sense / is grindy to have to G1 - G5 every single module individually, are you not commenting on that?

Greetings Commanders,

First of all we wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has helped us test the Beyond 3.0 beta so far. A huge number of you have jumped in to the game to test out the Chieftain, listen to GalNet Audio, and experience the other hundreds of change to the Elite Dangerous galaxy, making it our most populated beta so far.
We’ve been watching your feedback very closely, and thanks to your support we were able to make a few changes to how Engineering works that we’d like to call out specifically.

All of the below will take effect as part of beta 2 (as well as the other many changes in the full patch notes):
- When pinning a blueprint, it will now pin all grades rather than just one.
- If you have a higher reputation with an Engineer, the number of rolls you need to progress through lower grades will be lower. This means you will be able to roll the highest grade much more quickly if you have a higher reputation with an Engineer.
- We’ve made a set of initial changes to improve the blueprints you receive from engaging with Engineers. As always, your feedback is hugely appreciated, and we’d love to hear what you think about these changes relative to how they were in beta 1. Please do continue to test and give us your feedback to help make the very best possible update. See the full list of changes to the modules so far here:

Drives:
- Dirty Drives:
Speed Increase 30%->40%
(Max possible increase now 47%, used to be 47% with extreme luck, 43%+ considered very good)
- Clean Drives:
Speed Increase 18%->28%
(Max possible increase now 34.4%, used to be 33.8%)

Weapons:
- Short Range:
Damage increase 65%->75%
(Max DPS increase 67.5% in live, 70% in beta, now 80% including experimentals)
- Overcharged:
Damage increase 55%->70%
(Max DPS increase 67.5% in live, 59% in beta, now 75% including experimentals)
- Rapid Fire:
Firing Interval reduction 40%->44% (ROF increase 66%->79%)
(Max DPS increase 67.5% in live, 63% in beta, now 74.7% including experimentals)
- Efficient:
Damage increase 17%->24%
(Max DPS increase 26% in live, 20.5% in beta, now 27.7% including experimentals)
Passive power draw reduction 40%->48%
WEP draw reduction 35%->45%
- Focused:
Heat increase halved (10%->5%)

Shield Generator:
- Enhanced, Low Power:
Strength Multiplier: 10%->15%
- Reinforced:
Damage Reduction: 12%->15% (back to where it is in live), also fix a numerical error that resulted it odd results from crafting lvl 1-4 recipes

FSD:
- Increased FSD Range:
Optimised mass 50%->55%

Power Plant:
- Low Emissions:
Heat 60%->65%
- Overcharged:
Power 36%->40%
Hull Reinforcement:
- Single Resistance blueprints:
Off-type penalties reduced 12%->10%
- Heavy Duty:
Damage resistance restored from 8.5%->15%
- Lightweight:
Health Multiplier increase 18%->24%

Armour:
- Heavy Duty:
Health Multiplier increase 30%->35%

Power Distributor:
- High Frequency:
Global charge rate increase 40%->45%
- High Capacity:
Global Charge Capacity 40%->42%
- Priority X blueprints:
Increase charge rate on primary capacitor from 30%->36%
Shield Boosters:
- Heavy Duty:
Shield health increase 38%->40%
- Resistance Augmented:
Global damage resist 16%->17%
Once again, we’d love to hear your thoughts on all of the changes in beta 2 – we’ve been paying close attention to your feedback on social media, the forums, your emails and Reddit since the first beta livestream, and we’ll continue to make changes thanks to your support.

The full change log has been posted here.

Thanks!

Good start even if i really think grandfathering should not be a thing.

Armor/HRP are still way under what you can achieve in the live game while already OP shields and skill boosters are buffed.

I will update SDC spreadsheet to show you what my armor/HRP rolls are.

edit : FDevs, your reactivity and feedback is really appreciated. It makes us wanting to get involved. Keep it up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom