Bomb Bay suggestion

Ok, so some ships just don’t have any real capability to do anything in this game (like the Type 7 because the Python exists) so I have an idea that some ships can have a Bombay feature. This will be an optional internal and require a dedicated bomb rack (like cargo racks, weightless until filled) and also require an ordnance drop computer which will calculate the landing point of the bomb to be on your HUD. The bombs will be ejected out of the respective ships SRV doors.

Now the bombs will have to be balanced for their drop rates (which should be really fast) and the damage they should do...in all honesty I think they should be pretty powerful since they’ll lack the ability to destroy mobile targets but can nuke stationary guns easily.

These attachments should be available for most trade ships like the Type 7 and Type 9 But some larger ships like the Type 10 should also have the feature. It’ll be great for player groups (like mine) that want to influence a systems government by stripping facilities and disabling them, this will add just another fun factor and give our traders a task, it’ll also help multicrew as fighter pilots and gunners will have to help defend these ships for fix or gimballed won’t be useful on a bombing run.

I honestly think this will be a great fun addition that, though not needed, can add a huge fun factor where larger player groups can set up bombing raid wings to destroy ground facilities.

Thoughts?

Get a courier, soup it up to 800m/s or better. Fill up with the cheapest commodity. Fly towards a ship and boost. Drop 3-4 cargo while boosting and pull up. Watch the containers bomb the target.

Closest thing you will come to dropping bombs in this game. Bombs are useless in space.

Get a courier, soup it up to 800m/s or better. Fill up with the cheapest commodity. Fly towards a ship and boost. Drop 3-4 cargo while boosting and pull up. Watch the containers bomb the target.

Closest thing you will come to dropping bombs in this game. Bombs are useless in space.

It’s for planetary bombardment not space

As long as the facility is on a world with gravity worth a dam.

Might have to hover there a while until the bombs clear your bomb bay and then very slowly fall to target.

Maybe hire an NPC crewman to push them with a stick to get the hurry up on.

Why use crude bombs that are useless when you have guided missiles? The only reason we have bombs irl is our gravity and the fact guidance and propulsion are super expensive. No such issues in 3300, so why bother?

Why use crude bombs that are useless when you have guided missiles? The only reason we have bombs irl is our gravity and the fact guidance and propulsion are super expensive. No such issues in 3300, so why bother?

Simple, fun and also I did specify planetary, Also many things on the ground you can’t track with guidance systems so bomb it, that’s why unguided rockets are used and honestly they’re sub par at best

Mine launchers have no way to aim them, you kinda have to guess with those
If you're stopped, they go down. It's easy to level yourself off, and then position yourself above the target. Alternatively, you can go for the less-efficient, but more visually spectacular method of carpet bombing. If you're feeling REALLY frisky, you can use the tried-and-true dive bombing approach- just make sure you pull up in time!

If you stop you’re an easy target for the AAA cannons, divebombing is risky, as you said, and would be best off for the smaller vessels...and carpet bombing is fun but I think it’ll be even better with, Well a full bomb drop from a Type 10 through an SRV hatch, imagine a Type 10 loaded with bomb racks jump dumping 500+ bombs in a carpet bombing fashion...then add a fleet doing this

I’d certainly like more surface to ground options. I’d like torpedoes to be able to take out surface guns and be guided remotely with a nose cam to target.

Last edited:
If you stop you’re an easy target for the AAA cannons, divebombing is risky, as you said, and would be best off for the smaller vessels...and carpet bombing is fun but I think it’ll be even better with, Well a full bomb drop from a Type 10 through an SRV hatch, imagine a Type 10 loaded with bomb racks jump dumping 500+ bombs in a carpet bombing fashion...then add a fleet doing this
It would be quite amusing. Note that there is no such thing as an "SRV hatch", btw. The SRV just comes out of the cargo hatch. This can be easily seen on something like a sidewinder, which only has space for that one hatch. ;)
just that mines are equipped with micro-fsd to make them stay in position after a few meters after you dropped them.
that device is just not powerfull enough to overcome gravity.

:D
I believe the OP was referring to planetary engagements, so the strange instant-stop behavior of mines in space isn't relevant. (I'd love a mine that didn't do that, though. It would make dive-bombing other ships a lot more fun)

Top Bottom