Boost your graphics performance in Elite Dangerous Odyssey using these simple tricks

Some (many?) CMDRs are reporting seeing considerable performance boosts in Odyssey by doing these (taken from my Reddit megathread):
Where do I find out which drivers I've got? When I check via device mamager it says they're up to date. DAted September 2020. It, and the Speccy utility say "Driver version 27.21.14.5671".

I'm just not seeing these issues others are, getting stable 60+fps in stations and settlements, with 120+fps in space, on desktop mode at 4k and in VR via Quest

I wonder what is different for my set-ups, that seems to work. Using latest 466.77 drivers, so apart from the "CinemaScope" view in VR which makes me feel sick, when moving between space and surfaces and the missing mountains from Horizons, not seeing too many issues
Hi Papalu, maybe you can shed any light on what I've got wrong? But either way I'll show my PC info just to share.

# AMD Ryzen 7 5800 is the CPU
# AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT is the GPU
# Device is Valve Index
# SteamVR setting is 1:1 ratio (100% exactly) of the device pixels
# SteamVR setting is forced to 40 FPS max
# Elite Dangerous "graphics" is the "VR Low" settings

With those settings the game is smooth everywhere except in the space stations where it probably drops to 25 FPS (just a guess).

PS - I used those SteamVR settings way back at the beginning because the default settings caused stuttering for me. I guess I could try again though, and see what it does.

New drivers installed. Graphics file cleared. Wow. Suddenly down to 5 fps to 10 fps in a High Grade signal source wreckage site in space. What the heck has gone wrong? It at least managed about 40-60 before :(

New drivers installed. Graphics file cleared. Wow. Suddenly down to 5 fps to 10 fps in a High Grade signal source wreckage site in space. What the heck has gone wrong? It at least managed about 40-60 before :(
Did you have shadows completely disabled in your old game before the upgrade? In the new game they don't let you disable shadows anymore. The very minimum is low shadows which is a tiny bit too much for my GPU.

After a bit more tinkering I've improved performance by lowering shadows and ambient occlusion settings. Update 3 made a noticeable improvement as well.

Ambient occlusion in elite can make huge fps drop im off long time bat still low fps, last update didn't do nothing better fps for me.

none helped for me ... even tried 720p and its still 20 fps on foot...sigh
Also, check if you have a lot of stuff installed and going on in the background on the computer. For instance, I've had issues with some mouse drivers at times slowing down my experience. So check the task manager if something is hogging your CPU.

It's definitely got a memory leak issue, as frames start out smooth for me and get rough over time. If I restart the game it's fine again. Cyberpunk was this way at launch.
I got a memory leak as well... I can't for my life remember what I ate for breakfast. shrugs

fps never dips under 30 in stations now. the space game is as horizons was.
So Horizons only ran at 30 fps for you before?

You tweaked settings and updated drivers to get 30 fps.

I can't speak for anyone else, I have a 32" 4k monitor capped at 60 fps, and I am pegged at 60 fps in Horizons, and 60 fps in space in Odyssey with ultra settings. I do have the latest drivers.

When I am in stations or at surface bases it can drop as low as 20 fps. I could probably tweak my settings to eek out some more fps, but it's pretty clear from my point of view the underlying software isn't optimized for foot play.

I really would like to get into that part of the game, but who needs the aggravation?

So Horizons only ran at 30 fps for you before?

You tweaked settings and updated drivers to get 30 fps.

I can't speak for anyone else, I have a 32" 4k monitor capped at 60 fps, and I am pegged at 60 fps in Horizons, and 60 fps in space in Odyssey with ultra settings. I do have the latest drivers.

When I am in stations or at surface bases it can drop as low as 20 fps. I could probably tweak my settings to eek out some more fps, but it's pretty clear from my point of view the underlying software isn't optimized for foot play.

I really would like to get into that part of the game, but who needs the aggravation?

Lol. I think i was enjoying the 90's throwback in more than just gameplay. There was a really enjoyable time in the late 90's onwards where id software were releasing games that needed more performance than the hardware available at the time. It was because of new features in the rendering engine too, not lack of optimisation. It was an amazing period because every new graphics card you got had purpose, and most games you got also were doing something different. But anyway ~20-30 fps used to happen, depending on how you tweaked.

That's still no excuse for the 90's gameplay though. That's more like my first fps.

Its funny too.. in the mid 2000's i upgraded to 30 inch monitors (before my time i know), and around 2013ish when graphics cards finally were able to drive it, i went that's it. It took 8 years to finally get a graphics card for my monitor, im going to stay here. So when 4k happened, i laughed so hard and went no, not happening, know how this works. Been on the same setup since (apart from a sidegrade to a 1060 when the 780ti failed). Will upgrade again when raytracing becomes mainstream.

Sorry. Yeah never been that fussy about fps. 60 is nice sure, but if the graphics are good enough i'll easily take less. I think that's the main problem with odysee, its not good enough. Ive run witcher 3 on the same machine at doublish fps than what elite does. Elite is not double w3 in terms of graphical fidelity.

After Patch 3, when I enter a conflict zone, framerate is almost 60fps - for a small moment I can watch peeps running around and starting up the action, then game loads something and the framerate plummets back down to 25-30. So something definitely completely breaks.

Personally, while waiting for the patch that actually fixes this mess, i find the steps outlined in the OP, plus the judicious application of the placebo effect, makes it all better for just a little while.

Personally, while waiting for the patch that actually fixes this mess, i find the steps outlined in the OP, plus the judicious application of the placebo effect, makes it all better for just a little while.

Ah yes the good old placebo effect, always good for a 10% performance boost I find!

Definite placebo. You think you have it working then the next base or station you go to something happens that makes you dice into the settings again. Can't complain tweaking is more enjoyable for me than a grind with no story shooter.

i also have a laptop which runs better with an ancient driver rather than a new one. :D

i tried about 20 different drivers for my 1080ti during the alpha. some worse than others but always abysmal performance. cleaned my pc, new thermal paste, new fans, everything updated, reseated all cards and cables, new 750w seasonic psu...

elite is the only thing i play because it ticked all the boxes. im a father of 2 full time working and renovating a house for 5 years. at this moment im neary in tears...
at the moment i only have time to fiddle around with all of this because of back surgery and loss of hearing so i cant work, in 2 weeks its back in the field and time is gone. then id be happy with 2 hours pc time a week.
I had an AMD R9 and when I bought a 2080 fir my son I inherited his nVidia 1070.
I have not had a single problem with Odydsey. Only Patch 5 introduced an occasional stutter outside on foot which corrects its self.
move been lucky to enjoy great game play from odyssey - despite the mission bugs right now.

I’d be happy to share the graphics settings XML files with you if you like so you can compare mine with yours in an attempt to discover why your 1080 is under performing compared to a 1070.
my hardware is from 2014/2015 and no plans to upgrade since all games run fine.

Top Bottom