Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Chicken Run (03-11 MAR))

Intent to race:
Edelgard von Rhein
Open Unlimited
Imperial Courier 'Kongming'
Depending on how much time I have this week and how I get on with this ship, there are one or two others I'd like to try landing in high-g at speed. None of them would have a jump range + speed combination anywhere near this ship, though.

The race marshall has received a few more submissions. However, due to some discrepancies in the submitted evidence, I am somewhat reluctant to update the leaderboard right now.

From the four entries, two are indisputable. One of the other two will lead to an amendment of the racing rules: proof provided as images will need to have legible time stamps. 311 x 172 pixels are not sufficient :).
If this is an inherent limitation of a specific console, please tell me so and I will try to find a solution (or rather, ask amongst the experienced Buckyballers).

The CMDRs in question will receive have received a PM.

Last edited:
The leaderboard is filling up. We have three more entries in the Open Unlimited class validated.

Starting at the bottom, newcomer CMDR DogsBody decided to carry a hold full of Guardian artefacts around the race course. He succeeded in evading multiple interdiction attempts in his Cobra Mk III Ride Like The Wind. Managing to complete the course in under one hour, he nevertheless has to content with the last place right now. Oh, and I heard that station maintenance at Weber Legacy wants to have a word with him regarding a roughly triangular dent in one of their pads.

Two places up, CMDR ZX Spectrum managed to slip into fourth place in his Imperial Courier Celeritas Lucis. He tempted fate by choosing the "shieldless suicide" option as the first commander in this race. When asked for comment afterwards, he stated that he wouldn't recommend this decision to anyone.

First place in the Open Unlimited class goes to CMDR Aken B. in his Viper Spirit Of Shenaningan with a comfortable lead of two minutes to the second place. The overall lead, though, remains still in the hands of CMDR Ozric with The Littlest Hobo in the Healthy Hauler class.

However, some interesting ship loadouts in the hands of usually capable commanders have been sighted near the starting line (unfortunately, they chose the worst possible time for their launch and had to borrow a brush and a bucket from station maintenance), and we can only wait and see what the next few days will bring.

2HFZ4IH.png

o7 Aken
How you can get a Viper round this course in 35min without even getting bonuses for running without a shield I have no idea. I've tried to get Kongming round the course shieldless tonight, 45LY on low fuel and 885m/s on boost and it takes me 45+min to reach Weber Legacy (the farthest I've been able to get). I've given up shieldless in this ship for now. (I didn't have any obscured jumps or interdictions either).

I have added the image and link to the front page of our website:

http://elitedangerous.hozbase.co.uk/

Is there any way of getting the image and link ahead of time for future events?

I normally ask race hosts to provide me with a banner before the end of the previous race, so that I can put it up on the Club website, hence probably easiest for you to nab it from there. The race thread is not normally posted until a small number of days before the race starts - this was abnormally far in advance because Ashnak originally aimed for it to be a week in advance, and then we decided to push back the race date to avoid clashing with the 3.0 release :)

Excellent, absolutely perfect timing, and I hope you got fined for inconveniencing that Type 9.

Absolutely :D. Woke up in a comfy room at the LTT 2151 detention center. Insult added to injury.

o7 Aken
How you can get a Viper round this course in 35min without even getting bonuses for running without a shield I have no idea.

Short explanation:
It's fast.

Long explanation:
Like, very fast!

Serious explanation:
Not that fast actually, well under 800 m/s boost. Honestly, I have no idea, I usually just go and hope for the best.

One thing I can say for sure: the DBX may boast the bigger numbers for this race, but you can't beat the fun of a properly set up Viper or Courier. [heart]

o7 Aken
How you can get a Viper round this course in 35min without even getting bonuses for running without a shield I have no idea. I've tried to get Kongming round the course shieldless tonight, 45LY on low fuel and 885m/s on boost and it takes me 45+min to reach Weber Legacy (the farthest I've been able to get). I've given up shieldless in this ship for now. (I didn't have any obscured jumps or interdictions either).

I know what you mean there Edelgard... A rushed 45 min circuit showed me that this is a tough one to shave that much time off! I can't see how you would do it in only 35min! Is there a video of this run? I'd really like to take a look at some amazing flying!

Absolutely :D. Woke up in a comfy room at the LTT 2151 detention center. Insult added to injury.

Short explanation:
It's fast.

Long explanation:
Like, very fast!

Serious explanation:
Not that fast actually, well under 800 m/s boost. Honestly, I have no idea, I usually just go and hope for the best.

One thing I can say for sure: the DBX may boast the bigger numbers for this race, but you can't beat the fun of a properly set up Viper or Courier. [heart]

We love SPOILER tabs [haha]

Ummm... Susie starts to think about iCourier builds. What's the jump range tho? Can't be anything like the DBX?

If you have a nice iCourier build please pm me!

Last edited:
As Space Poultry, I feel I need to at least put in a time for this one. I'll be running my Type-6, "Hot Rod Lakon," in the open unlimited class. Possibly also my Orca, "Wayward Sun," if I have time and feel like paying the rebuy. ;>

The Hauler class is looking like the hot ticket, but I operate on a strict "run what's fun" policy, and I've found Haulers just aren't my thing. So Open Unlimited it is.

First run submitted. If only I could have done more damage.
I didn't think I'd be saying this in a high-g landing competition but tomorrow ... I must try to land a bit harder!

Last edited:
I know what you mean. At the end of my trial run I realized I'd never been below 40% hull. I have to consider whether I'm lugging around too much shield!

Quick suggestion for "Crash Pilot" if I'm not too late. One could easily have spent a minute at the Noriega finish line banging one's ship repeatedly against the wall until the hull was below 10% and one would still shave 2 minutes off one's time. One didn't because that doesn't seem like it's in the spirit of the thing. Might I suggest that it's the Weber Legacy screenshot which must show <10% hull?

Quick suggestion for "Crash Pilot" if I'm not too late. One could easily have spent a minute at the Noriega finish line banging one's ship repeatedly against the wall until the hull was below 10% and one would still shave 2 minutes off one's time. One didn't because that doesn't seem like it's in the spirit of the thing. Might I suggest that it's the Weber Legacy screenshot which must show <10% hull?

Since we so far have only one Crash Pilot, who did conform to that suggestion, accepted. First post will be amended.

If anyone in the meantime has submitted a Crash Pilot run where the final damage was due to the landing at Noriega, I'll check the evidence in the spirit of Buckyballing and decide on a per case basis.

---

On second thought - further amendment needed: less than 10% at the last planetary station you used and at Noriega Station. Don't want you to repair before attempting to break out of that gravity well :p

Last edited:
At the fifth attempt, I eventually managed to bring an intact Courier around the course (thanks to lightweight 2A shields). The time, considering the ship and outfitting, is unexceptional and I feel I must be doing something fundamentally wrong but I have no idea what; I'm just getting stressed when I race, so I'll sit the rest of this out now I've got a time to submit.

Tuesday evening race update - and we have several new entries, amongst them a further two pilots new to Buckyballing (or so old that I've never seen them before, at least). Welcome to the club, CMDRs Susanna Saunders and Talion Camisade.

Let me start off with the Healthy Hauler class. CMDR Aken B. made a suicidal grab for the throne in his aptly named Hauler BenBucky Fried Chicken, but couldn't quite reach it and therefore enters the Healthy Hauler class on second place.

6sofja8.png

However, he more than compensated for that with his entry in the Open Unlimited class. After having repaired his Diamondback Explorer Bucket Of Bolts, he not only managed to complete the course without any shields, but also secured himself both the first place in the Open Unlimited class as well as the overall lead by a more than comfortable margin.
Right behind him, CMDR Alec Turner slips his Diamondback Explorer Bananery Fandango into second place.
At positions seven and eight we find two newcomers, CMDR Susanna Saunders in her Diamondback Explorer Dubious Botox and CMDR Talion Camisade in his AspExplorer Targoviste.
The final new entry is CMDR Edelgard von Rhein in her Imperial Courier Kongming on ninth place.

37bdFQm.png

Public Safety Anouncement: Pirate attacks have been reported by several CMDRs on the course. Be on the lookout for any suspicious ships! The BRC will not be held responsible for loss of life1 or cargo as the consequence of a pirate attack.

The race remains interesting. Can the 30 minute boundary be breached? Will CMDR c. make an appearance in this race?

-----------------------
1 This includes any lives, racers or pirates.

Video of my DBX run if anyone's interested ..

[video=youtube_share;oli6iQLc_mI]https://youtu.be/oli6iQLc_mI[/video]

I've speeded it up x4, edited out the dull bits and slapped a System Seven music track over it so it's hopefully both educational AND entertaining.

Nice going Aken B. That DBX time! Holy hell. I lost a minute to an obscured jump, another 20secs maybe to an interdiction avoidance loop and obviously failed to score either of the two bonuses but even if I can fix all of that ... those times are gonna be hard to catch!

P.S. I spy with my little eye someone beginning with C snooping around in the Medevac thread!

Last edited:
Video of my DBX run if anyone's interested ..

LOL -- holy crap! As a rookie, now I see what my problem is! I'm actually trying to land my ship! What a n00b I am! Clearly I've spent WAY too much time in flight sims, because it never even occurred to me to role play a Jart (that's a lawn dart, fer you young'uns) and "stick" the landing pad at over 100m/s, then just let the ship flop down onto it's gear!

It's like I don't even know what shields are for! Talk about a "Eureka!" moment!

I can't wait to tie my Divine Wind head scarf on and give that a try!

Thanks for posting! [Edit: Oh, and nice flying! o7]

LOL -- holy crap! As a rookie, now I see what my problem is! I'm actually trying to land my ship! What a n00b I am! Clearly I've spent WAY too much time in flight sims, because it never even occurred to me to role play a Jart (that's a lawn dart, fer you young'uns) and "stick" the landing pad at over 100m/s, then just let the ship flop down onto it's gear!

It's like I don't even know what shields are for! Talk about a "Eureka!" moment!

I can't wait to tie my Divine Wind head scarf on and give that a try!

Thanks for posting! [Edit: Oh, and nice flying! o7]

:D

Errr, yeah. Like I said back in post #90 ... I generally like to make elegant landings but aside from the first planet that's just not practical in this race so I had to find an alternative approach. I'm gonna give shieldless a try tomorrow tho' so I may need to exercise a little more caution.

Top Bottom