Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: On The Rocks 20-27 August 3304

I'm not the only one finding that this course is a tricky one to be consistent on, it seems, which makes me feel slightly better. I've been having a hard time the last couple of days, failing to race consistently - the time I have on the board right now is the only smooth run I've had - thanks to various things that can I can possibly get wrong, from poor supercruise approaches and pad touchdowns, and some things that are not my fault, interdictions and the dreaded front door bell!
I think sometimes I try too hard and need to be relaxed whilst flying and being too competitive causes me to push too hard and make many mistakes.

Yup, I can empathise with that. I often find my first (or second) run stands the test of time as being a pretty good one. Once I start trying too hard things often deteriorate.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Well it's just gone past the mid point of the race and there's been another flurry of activity since the last leaderboard update, with 3 new first time attempts (well some second runs added before I got around to doing the update).

First in we had a submission from Cmdr. Elbub, the race fans really are keen for those Buckyball Beer Mats aren't they. He had to dodge an over enthusiastic fan who wanted to get their hands on one of the fabled mats, and also sees the room for improvement if only he could avoid using the outside of the station to slow down :) Still he managed to sandwich Midnight Tango in between Cmdrs Sulu and von Rhein.

Next up we have new racer UmbraRex. His struggles in coming to terms with racing in general have already been noted, but once again I think he posted a very respectable time indeed all things considered. Especially when you consider that he had to avoid not 1, but 2 race fans! It may be bottom of the leaderboard for the moment, but you've already taken off over 10 minutes since your first run of the course.

giphy.gif

Last up we have a sneak attack entry from Cmdr. Darplata94. Their first run was submitted last night, but by their own admission they had forgotten to take one of the screenshots of a Beermat being sold, before I had time to contemplate whether or not the submission would stand my ship's computer alerted me to another message in my inbox. Not only had Darplata94 done another run, with all the screenshots, but it was over 2 minutes quicker than the initial run and there is still room for improvement apparently! I am tempted to penalise them though for saying that they did 2 loops of shame! That makes Bucky sad! We all know there is no such thing as the loop of shame, because we more than anyone should know that even if you have to do a loop around your target, it's still faster than how non racers approach stations!

But nonetheless Cmdr. Darplata94 storms straight to the top of the leaderboard with an impressive time indeed!

BNHclTlh.jpg

I blame those blasted race fans. Had to submit twice (submitting IS faster than fighting the interdiction, right).

Yes it is, as soon as you get interdicted throttle to zero. It sometimes does seem to drag you much further back than where you were when the interdiction started, but during the time you're fighting the interdiction you can end up much further off course.

Have to say I'm loving the number of new (and relatively new) commanders who are turning up for this race.

Really heartening to see. Welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club everyone!

We REALLY love what we do here and hope you do too. Taking part in these races over the last 3+ years has taught me more about the subtleties of ships, the flight model, and numerous other aspects of the game than any other single activity, and dropping what I've been doing (present circumstances excepted) to spend a week doing this instead has without a doubt prolonged my enjoyment of the game and given me a fresh perspective which, thus far, has helped keep any sense of "burn out" entirely at bay.

If you like this race and what we do and want to do more of it in the future then don't forget that all of our races are organised by folks just like you who entered a race, came up with a cool idea of their own and offered to run it (it's really not that hard - no disrespect to Ozric here :p). The race calendar looking ahead is pretty sparse at the moment (to say the least) so by all means pop into our general discussion thread and volunteer your suggestions and/or willingness to run a future event.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/193467-Buckyball-Racing-Club

If you're looking for inspiration for race ideas then just have a quick skim down the descriptions of past race events, either here on our website ..

http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk/pastevents.html

.. or else in a forum thread of race videos I've been making for a while (which also has brief race descriptions) ..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-discography?p=4536109&viewfull=1#post4536109

Fly Fast!

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Intent to take last place in a combat fit T-10.

Woohoo!

really not that hard - no disrespect to Ozric here :p)

None taken, other than the fact that you forgot about my race!

It's fine, it's fine sniff

;)

He is right though. If I can come up with an idea, 2 now in fact, then anyone can :D The bonus is the game is so vast and has such an array of system/station names/types, most of the names created by people who all share similar cultural interests, so there's bound to be something in the game related to something you like.

Last edited:
Run done in Corvette unfortunately missed screenshot and recording didn't work but at least I found out that eddiscovery is giving the route an extra jump

Another run done. >36 minutes, so not going to submit it. Always on the heels of CMDR Sulu, but he lost me at the last stretch.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Run done in Corvette unfortunately missed screenshot and recording didn't work but at least I found out that eddiscovery is giving the route an extra jump

A Corvette :D Oh the big boys have come to play now. I hope very much that you nail your next run.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
We have an update to the leaderboard tonight. Cmdr. UmbraRex continues improving his time and managed to knock off 3 minutes exactly from it.

NbB00vdh.jpg

Two false starts(dinged the egress,nose first).Exceeded fuel usage.DNF.Errored on final approach of the return leg.(ouch!5 tons of superheated steam,anyone?).DNF. Nailed Big Poppas house,forgot the beermats. Impacted the back wall of Lone rock.DNF. Managed 1 complete circuit in 62 minutes. I can do better.

Last edited:
The run I submitted was actually the fourth run today.

The first one I bounced off the front wall and got stuck behind the pipes around the mailslot in Rebuy.

The second run I made it all the way to my third or fourth stop, where the station and rings were in shadow from the planet and I couldn't see squat.

The third run I tried looping around the planet to get a better line on the entrance to the station and got emergency dropped from SC in the planet's rings. 88k km from the station.

The ringed systems arent so bad once you figure out where the base actually is,but lining up the approach is still pretty hairy.The safer way seems to be approaching from the outside and moving in towards the planet,whereas if you approach from the top and try to slip inbetween the planet and the rings,gravitational drag impacts your recovery time if you overshoot. Screenshotting on PS4 is pita.Tiny button,giant fingers.Still tinkering with the build but almost race ready.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I do recommend a dry run if you can spare the time. I have a rare "weekend" where I don't have anything out of the ordinary I have to do, so I could afford to do a dry run...

One of these days, I'm going to learn not to tempt fate like this. My nephew's dentist decided that he needed to have his wisdom teeth pulled out ASAP, so guess who spent the bulk of her day at her sister's house watching anime on her iPad and reminding her nephew to change his packing every thirty minutes?

Did manage to squeeze in a heat test run in the morning, and a dry run last night when I got home. First official run is going to be "interesting."

I'm switching to my Adder. I can see that it's just not meant to be for the Python, so many problems of all kinds affect my attempts I'm getting frustrated (especially at medium pad allocation giving me 5,20 or 26 which are very bad for racing).
Open Unlimited
Adder
Swept Under the Carpet

*points at speed and throttle position

Oh, and I had JUST hit boost.

Fist ever visit to a detention center.

Ah, those Buckyball Firsts. It’s what makes racing fun, and gives the ATCs grey hairs. :)

With the small ships, I recommend hugging the side of the mail slot as much as possible, and if you see incoming traffic, try to roll perpendicular to the opening. There’s more than enough room for an iCourier to pass through that way. Even a Cobra Mk III can do it, and if you miss, at least you’re hitting the station first, and not another ship.

That reminds me... I better make sure I pay off all my fines at Rebuy Prospect. Unlike most races, I’ll actually come back here after the race is over. ;)

Top Bottom