Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents :- 'The Wasat Cup' Buggyball (23rd-25thFeb)

OK, here's today's blooper reel ..

[video=youtube;R-PB8t836fY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-PB8t836fY[/video]

First was suicide at K5 when I knew it was hopeless, second was desperately hanging on to my last 7% at T5 and third was desperately hanging on to my last 3% at Y4.

Did finally get a successful run in only to discover (much to my utter disbelief) that it was 3 minutes slower than my previous submission.

So half way point we have a new leader..
buggyball1_leaderb.jpg

AkenB 'Tumbling Initiative #2' hurtles into ferguson 4 minutes ahead of the pack.
It was fairly close till then. I think under 25 mins is possible but itll need to be a great run.
see you out on the daylit course hopefully.
(Ill reveal the seconds on the last day tomorrow.)

cheers for the co-ords Alec, ill update the death map. ;)

Last edited:
My run of this morning on the daylit course ended up to be a whole 20 seconds slower than the yesterday one in almost complete darkness. Well, at least I'm fairly consistent. :)

My run of this morning on the daylit course ended up to be a whole 20 seconds slower than the yesterday one in almost complete darkness. Well, at least I'm fairly consistent. :)

hehe.. yeah ive gone faster In the dark.. maybe its best you cant see that far ahead.. keeps you on your toes ;)

Two more runs submitted, better and betterer. Not up with AkenB or HeatShield yet but a definite improvement on this morning's shambles.

Did the second run in a live race with our host. DAMN he's fast! He's given me a little tip which I ought to share with everyone in the interest of fairness ...

Just Keep Pressing W

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Two more runs submitted, better and betterer. Not up with AkenB or HeatShield yet but a definite improvement on this morning's shambles.

Did the second run in a live race with our host. DAMN he's fast! He's given me a little tip which I ought to share with everyone in the interest of fairness ...

Just Keep Pressing W

Haha and I have to reply to your spoiler with a question, in a spoiler

What does W do?

Out of interest do people race with Drive Assist on or off? I tend to run with it on so that I don't have to touch the throttle and then when I inevitably start spinning out of control, quickly flick it off to straighten out the buggy, and then on again for full speed. I hope it's still daylight when I get home.

Sorry I forgot to add... 26 minutes!?!?! Bah congratulations

Last edited:
What does W do?
Out of interest do people race with Drive Assist on or off?

assist off for me.. or I skid all over the shop.. I need to release W ( which is my accelerate ) when I start to lose control... so I don't skid round. and can steer it back to course before putting on the power again.
38-39 speed it on the flats.. as much as you can.. preferably all the way ;) im WASD X for handbrake and mouse roll control.

buggyball1_leaderb.jpg

small update to the board as of 4pm GMT day2
Ozric and Alec switch places.. as 'Eat my rubber' makes it past 'Little blue', can anyone catch akenB.. only a day and a bit left.. and darkness is coming!!!
Still no times for the 'Catmobile' and 'scarab has no gravitas' maybe they got stuck in the deep crater ;)

Last edited:

What does W do?
W is the keyboard binding for "make buggy go faster".

Out of interest do people race with Drive Assist on or off? I tend to run with it on so that I don't have to touch the throttle and then when I inevitably start spinning out of control, quickly flick it off to straighten out the buggy, and then on again for full speed.
I'm using a HOTAS with Drive Assist Off. There is some debate over whether a HOTAS gets the same max speed as a keyboard binding. I tend to max out at around 38 (I can sometimes get 39/40 if I'm basically flying) whereas kligg with his W key pressed down can apparently regularly get 39/40.

I hope it's still daylight when I get home.
It was still daylight at 3:30pm UK time so you might be in luck.

I'm using a HOTAS with Drive Assist Off. There is some debate over whether a HOTAS gets the same max speed as a keyboard binding. I tend to max out at around 38 (I can sometimes get 39/40 if I'm basically flying) whereas kligg with his W key pressed down can apparently regularly get 39/40.

I have "assist on" and my max speed is 28-30!!! Will be trying assist off this evening lol

I have keyboard and joystick, no HOTAS and use keyboard for throttle.

Last edited:
it takes a bit of massaging to get to 39, I basically only get that when flying too.. just keep flying.. not sure if pitching forward and boosting helps give you a bit more.. but to retain it.. try not to land heavy on anything.
I think of the mobile game tiny wings when I play ;) drop onto a slope going down.. then ride up the next bump and boost to maximise speed
[video=youtube;c_7wqRSnrcY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_7wqRSnrcY[/video]

I have "assist on" and my max speed is 28-30!!!.
4 pips in engine? you've done well going at 30 speed then.. you are still second.. any faster and youll be challenging aken B.. make it happen!
go faster stripes for 'the Beetle'!

Last edited:
Did the second run in a live race with our host. DAMN he's fast!

Eat My Rubber productions proudly present ...

Driving South On Wasat

[video=youtube_share;zwX8eRtKBoc]https://youtu.be/zwX8eRtKBoc[/video]

If you want to do the 'Wasat Cup' in 5min 10sec, hit it with some Stone Roses.

n.b. the comms text you see coming up around the 04:30 mark is kliggjr telling me he's finished!

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I have "assist on" and my max speed is 28-30!!! Will be trying assist off this evening lol

Yup same for me! Right 50km going at potentially 10m/s faster... Robin didn't actually update my time, but no matter, it's on now. Though of course I've never driven long periods with DAOFF, so it could be entertaining.

I use a PS3 controller for my buggy (I have a HOTAS for flying). PS3 over Xbox because I don't own an Xbox and it's by far the best design, plus driving just seems more natural on a controller.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Eat My Rubber productions proudly present ...

Driving South On Wasat

https://youtu.be/zwX8eRtKBoc

If you want to do the 'Wasat Cup' in 5min 10sec, hit it with some Stone Roses.

n.b. the comms text you see coming up around the 04:30 mark is kliggjr telling me he's finished!

Gotta spread the rep around first Alec, but nice :)

18:30 GMT Daylight

Last edited:
Robin didn't actually update my time, but no matter, it's on now.
oh im sorry Oz, that slipped passed me.. while I was polishing the cup ( that's not a euphemism )
your still just behind Alec. ill update in a bit.
so what your telling me.. is loads of you have been racing.... but not at full speed...... :eek: :eek:
:O wheres the shocked face.. imagine 3 of those.

Last edited:

Same for me, I'm on analog controls and max plain speed is around 38 m/s, I don't know about drive assist on because I don't even have an assigned key or button for that, never tried it.

Maybe I should try with the good old wasd, even more so now that I am with two joysticks, one with awesome precision and a wonky rudder (t.16000), the other with so-so precision and a smooth rudder who likes left turns more than right ones (Logitech Extreme 3D)...digital controls may be harder to manage, but it shouldn't be any worse than having to slam the stick on the desk any time that the thing stops turning full-right. :D

I already planned to shed away some real life currency to get my creepy hands on a Flight-X hotas....then I had to replace a failing clutch on my car...and then I had to replace a failing bearing on my car...and then I had to pay insurance for my car...but not before having to replace a failing battery on my car, all of this in a two weeks time span :(...now the hotas is just a small dot in the hazy distance of an undefined time in the future...I'm afraid I'll have to do the coming races on mouse+keyboard!

A thing that came to my mind, after a brief chat with Raiko yesterday where he told me he had something like 60 km of SRV experience under the belt...I never checked mine, I was surprised to see that I was already at 340 km travelled (counting 150 of those already traveled in the race, between the first test run, the failed attempt and the succesfull one)...how are you doing in this regard? Planet truckers, or week-end drivers?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
oh im sorry Oz, that slipped passed me.. while I was polishing the cup ( that's not a euphemism )
your still just behind Alec. ill update in a bit.
so what your telling me.. is loads of you have been racing.... but not at full speed......

I'm sure it's not...

Well I just did 1 run, it was rubbish (though don't try and have a text chat during the race using the in game interface... In my defence they had threatened to hunt me down and shoot me :eek: but it was only Stevie from Delta Squad ;)) still beat my best time by 3 minutes :D

Last edited:
Just knocked 3 minutes of my time now I have that extra 10 m/s lol.

Hopefully get another run in later.

Re: Distance traveled in SRV I think I have about 1500km... Had to do a lot of mats collecting for DWE.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Bah!

Do you know I think I would have potentially taken the top spot had it not been for a run that ended in a black screen while transferring to my ship and then a CTD :mad: Still I know how Aken feels now, first time that's happened to me though.

My distance traveled is 303Km and 150 or 200 (depending on if it counted my last run) is from this race :)

p.s I wasn't ignoring you Robin, I was racing when you messaged me and then the crash happened.

A thing that came to my mind, after a brief chat with Raiko yesterday where he told me he had something like 60 km of SRV experience under the belt...I never checked mine, I was surprised to see that I was already at 340 km travelled (counting 150 of those already traveled in the race, between the first test run, the failed attempt and the succesfull one)...how are you doing in this regard? Planet truckers, or week-end drivers?

I think my distance travelled was around 1.5MM (i.e. around 1500km) so about the same as racer1. I'd say more than half of that is from doing this race.

Top Bottom