Charon Circumnavigation

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
I might have to swing by at some point. I'm finally back in the bubble, after a 7-week exploration jaunt.

The mountains are worth seeing. Once I've completed the trip I'm coming back (with more than one SRV) and summitting some of them. And jumping off some of them too!

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
It's still daylight (although it looks like its slowly fading now) so I made tracks!

LoYdF5J.jpg

Until I found this obstacle running perpendicular to my course

UvLbCxT.jpg

I watched it get larger for over 3 degrees of laltitude and was worried about whether I could actually climb up it, or would have to detour, but I have got to the top and the ground there is a bit bumpier, but not too bad.

Last edited:
It's still daylight (although it looks like its slowly fading now) so I made tracks!

Until I found this obstacle running perpendicular to my course

I have got to the top and the ground is a bit bumpier, but not too bad.
Love that 2nd shot, it's like a frozen tsunami wave!

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
Getting close to the equator now (-6.8 degrees) but the light is going and I need to go to bed.

I've travelled about 30 degrees north since yesterday. Amazing what daylight can do for you! (Mostly flat ground really helps too!)

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
I have got back to the equator and found the precise point opposite to my previous crossing of the equator:
SGgLh9i.jpg

I was worrying that this point would be in a deep crater and I was almost right about that :D Actually it was just on the lip of a deep crater, so it was fine.

These are my current stats:
B2zf1Iy.jpg

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
This mountain is what I have been facing all day. First the peak was poking about the horizon, then the whole thing emerged. My heading is basically directly over it :(

sBeCm4S.jpg

I decided to veer right, as it got lower the further east it went, and am currently wending my way through the range. Some very rough terrain interspersed with small plains where I can get some speed up again, even if only for a couple of minutes, but basically mixed ground and slower going.

Top Bottom