Oh how wonderful it would be if limpets could return cargo from planet surface to ship instead of doing a faceplant into the dirt...especially when the SRV holds a lousy 2 packages... is this not the year 3304? We can travel 300x light speed but limpets are mentally !!! I applaud frontier for the realism they have built into elite. Its crystal clear they have worked and researched their butts off but tiny elements like this can completely kill immersion... Please consider this fix frontier...

Oh how wonderful it would be if limpets could return cargo from planet surface to ship instead of doing a faceplant into the dirt...especially when the SRV holds a lousy 2 packages... is this not the year 3304? We can travel 300x light speed but limpets are mentally !!! I applaud frontier for the realism they have built into elite. Its crystal clear they have worked and researched their butts off but tiny elements like this can completely kill immersion... Please consider this fix frontier...

So... Couple things here.

1: Limpet AI has already improved DRASTICALLY with the new mining update. 90% less often do limpets brainlessly slam themselves into asteroids(as long as you're perfectly still) trying to collect fragments you've broken free. The AI can always continue to improve, as far as that goes, but that leads me to the second point.

2: You are not supposed to be able to collect more than a few dozen surface cargo at a time. If you had a Type-9 with room for 700 cargo, even using collector limpets, it would take dozens of hours to find that amount of surface cargo to fill your hold. The same run in mining, for example, would take far less time and now, finally, is far more interesting.

The most valuable tonnage you can collect from a planetary surface(afaik) are thargoid-related. Dropping into a station with massive quantities of Thargoid probes would not only crash the station but at 400,000cr/ton, make you an instant richboy, breaking the economy.

Additionally, eliminating the usage of(and gameplay surrounding) SRV's would limit the potential for game growth and development into their use. I, for example, would love to see SRV gameplay expanded upon to include land-based haulers(and haulage missions), with a planetary vehicle capable of ferrying a few dozen tons of cargo at a time. I think that would be a more entertaining(it is a game, after all) method of doing what you're asking for. Being a planetary trucker, fending off the skimmers while making your getaway with the goods in the space-age equivalent of a mad-max tanker sounds a hell of a lot better to me than sitting in my ship and clicking the collector limpet controller over and over again for hours and hours.

Just my thoughts, I'm no expert. What you're asking for isn't a fix in my opinion, it won't make gameplay better or more fun or interesting.

Deleted member 115407

D
You can scoop canisters on the surface, usually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom