So I was working on the community goal today, and after 3 hours of mining, I finally had enough Osmium and Samarium to have a full hold. I was on approach to the station when I started to get Interdicted. I thought nothing of it, and after noticing that it wasn't an NPC interdiction, I became slightly worried, but I've avoided plenty of interdictions so I wasn't too worried. So I started to avoid, and noticed that there was no change in the status, so I knew it would be quite difficult to avoid this. After keeping my ship perfectly in the escape vector, I still got interdicted. Still confused at how it happend, I knew all I had to do was to survive long enough to supercruise away. So I began dodging like any normal person would do. Then he hit a shot... my shields, instantly gone. Confused I received a message from him "With a ship name like that, you have to die."(My ship name is the USS Enterprise because I mainly explore and do no combat). Then he hits another shot and my hull goes from 100% to 0%... Immediately. 2 Hours of progress gone in a blink of an eye before my ship could even finish scanning who was targeting me... less than 10 Mega Meters from the space station. Can anyone please explain to me how this happened? What could possibly have instantly destroyed me like that? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I have the Cobra MKIII Shield health 92 armor health 216.

Humans > NPC. Around CGs don't fly in open unless you are prepared. Sounds like you should look at the weapon engineering - will make it clear what mods they used on you. HTH

Oh, gankers now try to state a "reason" why they kill. That's maybe even sadder than when they were murdering people just for fun...

Sorry, buddy. Cobra is a squishy ship even against a non-engineered opponent. One rail gun does about 50 damage. If they had four, well... Or any other weapon really.
If you're doing CGs, it's better to stay away from Open and let them fight against each other out of boredom...

Last edited:
for all the Cobra's plus points it does not have strong shields. Multiple rail guns or plasma accelerators will have that effect on smaller ships, especially huge plasmas. As for the hull, with rails he probably would have sniped your power plant. I'm assuming the player was in a larger ship of some type, you don't say.
FYI my FDL with a little engineering has a hull health in excess of 1500 and shields >600 (bi-weaves) plus higher damage resistances than stock.

This will be engineering. Do you know what ship they were in?

I am presuming it was a Medium/Large ship - Fer De Lance, Anaconda. Something with a large plasma accelerator. that would wreck you pretty rapidly, and if it's god rolled, well there ya go.

It's a real shame ay. I would recommend reaching out to communities willing to protect you in a wing. They benefit by earning a small amount in a trade subsidy and get the pleasure of pew pewing real PvPers! Can't offer any further advice other than considering heat sinks so you can pop one straight out of the interdiction and make yourself tough to find :S!

You have serious pair to be flying a cobra any where near a CG. I play in open maybe a couple days a month and that's in a fully kitted Anaconda or doing multicrew in someone elses ship. I play the game to relax and PVP ganking es me off too much.

Unless your Cobra is a hull tank, has heat sinks, G5 dirty drives engine mod to boosts more than 560m/s, and you have the skill to fly around and dodge the attacks and then run away, you have no chance with these guys in open, near a CG. Better to go solo or even better, Mobius. Or get a bigger and stronger ship :)

I sometimes fly a Cobra to troll them in open but I don't have a mining laser fitted.

It's what the game has become.
A few pirates with powerful engineered ships and weapons are allowed to spoil the game for other people.

Tens of thousands of people have joined private groups like Mobius, which basically runs a PvE, and others stay locked in Solo mode to stay away from them.

People who like PvE should be offered some sort of protection if they wish to play in open space.
There should be some sort of system, a module perhaps, which prevents them from targetting human commanders and locks the weapons of any human commanders who targets them.

People who paid for a game should not be pushed to the fringes and denied access to certain features by a small destructive minority.
We did not pay to be cannon fodder for the selfish few.

You should not have to grind your way through the combat ranks and invest in top of the range heavily engineered ships to enjoy a bit of trading, mining or sight seeing.

The addition of wings doesn't really help the noob trader or miner. It does however help the pirates who now turn up in bunches - like bananas.

We need to bring the PvE and the honourable PvP people together in open play, which would be to everybody's benefit, by banning firefights with unwilling victims.

We need a module that the PvE guys can install that prevents inter-human firefights.

Let the people be free!

Frontier - are you listening!!!!!!!

A few pirates with powerful engineered ships and weapons are allowed to spoil the game for other people.

Tens of thousands of people have joined private groups like Mobius, which basically runs a PvE, and others stay locked in Solo mode to stay away from them.

People who like PvE should be offered some sort of protection if they wish to play in open space.
There should be some sort of system, a module perhaps, which prevents them from targetting human commanders and locks the weapons of any human commanders who targets them.

People who paid for a game should not be pushed to the fringes and denied access to certain features by a small destructive minority.

You should not have to grind your way through the combat ranks and invest in top of the range heavily engineered ships to enjoy a bit of trading, mining or sight seeing.

The addition of wings doesn't really help the noob trader or miner. It does however help the pirates who now turn up in bunches - like bananas.

We need to bring the PvE and the honourable PvP people together in open play, which would be to everybody's benefit, by banning firefights with unwilling victims.

We need a module that the PvE guys can install that prevents inter-human firefights.

Let the people be free!

While I don't condone any actions these "pirates" (and let's be honest, I pity all REAL pirates who are trying to play their way), there IS a protection system offered to those not wanting these sort of confrontations - they're called Solo mode and Private group. ;)

Let the people be free!

No. Just no. The great thing about ED is freedom. Open is like real life. You get caught slipping, you just might pay for it. If you're going to be thin skinned pacifist, then hide in Solo. Don't want to deal with humans, fine, play in solo or private groups, but asking the game to be changed because you're a wimp is ridiculous.

And before you sling some griefer god rolled garbage at me, I'll let you know i'm 0-5 when attacked by human players. I'm not good at PvP...yet. But instead of crying for nerfs, I'm working to "git gud". Finally got my FDL engineered, but still not good enough pilot to take on the griefers...yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
And before you sling some griefer god rolled garbage at me, I'll let you know i'm 0-5 when attacked by human players. I'm not good at PvP...yet. But instead of crying for nerfs, I'm working to "git gud". Finally got my FDL engineered, but still not good enough pilot to take on the griefers...yet..

Before engineers enabled the production of massively powerful builds there was room for people to say you could "learn how to survive" whilst operating in open with other players. That argument was destroyed when engineers ruined the game. Please don't attempt to say it hasn't as, in nearly three years of playing this game, I have been two-shotted twice since that "update" and had never been killed by a commander before that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen....it happens to us all. I got burnt a few days ago because I was caught with my pants down trying to play with my 8 year old son....I was in a pretty well fitted Corvette. I don't consider myself a very new player (probably a year and a half under my belt). The attack lasted about 30 seconds before my rebuy screen popped up. I came on here to share my tale and got shredded by a few other Cmdr's....whatever. There were some that were supportive and others that just jumped on me. I learned that internet muscles are bigger than real life muscles and just let it go. There are a ton of great people on here and some that I would like to never speak to...but this game is complex and I need their info to get better. I will just mostly play in Solo now and not deal with others using me as target practice. I realize there are people far superior to me in this game (and that's ok). Good luck in the future and hopefully this bad experience doesn't ruin the game for you.

Let the people be free!

Oh, for the love of god, I hope they're not.

You have two other modes to play in! How you people purchase a game with the word "dangerous" in it, and then expect a carebear paradise devoid of risk or violence is utterly beyond me. If your school of thought is the majority, then why the hell aren't you playing in Private? Leave Open to people who enjoy some danger, who don't have unrealistic expectations about their purchase being tailored exclusively to their every whim, and stop hypocritically demanding the game be changed to suit you because you deserve X-Y-Z; we deserve a dangerous space just as much as you deserve a safe one - the only difference is we don't whing at FDev for hours demanding they ruin yours to embrace ours. Open is for people who enjoy a little danger, or should I say used to be, the new punishment system has damn near removed any sense of thrill or excitement in the game, I may aswell be playing Hello Kitty - I'm a Space Pilot at this point.

OP, you got incredibly unlucky. You got jumped by a much larger ship, specifically designed for destroying other CMDRs. There's not much you can do to avoid it, you're flying a very entry level ship that's easily destroyed. My recommendation is, if you don't want this to happen again, either play in Solo or a PvE Private Group (Mobius etc), until you can afford a bigger ship that can take a punch or two. Or stay away from CGs, as this is really the only place you're likely to run into this kind of thing, and even then, it's rare. You just got unlucky mate.

Oh, for the love of god, I hope they're not.

You have two other modes to play in! How you people purchase a game with the word "dangerous" in it, and then expect a carebear paradise devoid of risk or violence is utterly beyond me. If your school of thought is the majority, then why the hell aren't you playing in Private? Leave Open to people who enjoy some danger, who don't have unrealistic expectations about their purchase being tailored exclusively to their every whim, and stop hypocritically demanding the game be changed to suit you because you deserve X-Y-Z; we deserve a dangerous space just as much as you deserve a safe one - the only difference is we don't whing at FDev for hours demanding they ruin yours to embrace ours. Open is for people who enjoy a little danger, or should I say used to be, the new punishment system has damn near removed any sense of thrill or excitement in the game, I may aswell be playing Hello Kitty - I'm a Space Pilot at this point.

OP, you got incredibly unlucky. You got jumped by a much larger ship, specifically designed for destroying other CMDRs. There's not much you can do to avoid it, you're flying a very entry level ship that's easily destroyed. My recommendation is, if you don't want this to happen again, either play in Solo or a PvE Private Group (Mobius etc), until you can afford a bigger ship that can take a punch or two. Or stay away from CGs, as this is really the only place you're likely to run into this kind of thing, and even then, it's rare. You just got unlucky mate.

You know....I will agree with you. You have some valid points. There are multiple modes....I just think that space is so large that sometimes we forget there are real people out there with bad intentions. Honestly most of the time that I have played in open....I never see anybody...except near a busy port (like Jameson Memorial).

Or stay away from CGs, as this is really the only place you're likely to run into this kind of thing, and even then, it's rare. You just got unlucky mate.

Rare? You must be joking. I regularly go hunting for these gankers. It often takes me less than 5 minutes to find one. I watch them killing innocent traders every time I go to a CG in open. When Obsidian Orbital was burning a couple of weeks ago, it was not easy to identify the bad guys because Maia is an anarchy system, so I opened my other account to fly around in an unarmed cargo ship as bait. It didn't take 5 minutes for someone to blow it up.

Might be worth putting some mines on the Cobra and engineering it for speed? Drop a couple of Mines and run?

You should be able to get that boosting upwards of 500 with DD3

That's unfortunate. As to how it happened:-

You were playing in Open

I was on approach to the station when I started to get Interdicted. I thought nothing of it, and after noticing that it wasn't an NPC interdiction, I became slightly worried, but I've avoided plenty of interdictions so I wasn't too worried.

You weren't Worried? Mate, you had just spent 2 hours getting a hold full of material for a CG IN OPEN and you WEREN'T WORRIED?

Forgive me for pointing this out, but you need to be watching that scanner like a hawk, ESPECIALLY on the run in to the station, ESPECIALLY in open, ESPECIALLY with a hold full of mats.

Choose your own mode by all means. Solo and PG are valid choices, especially if you resent what happened. That's all cool.

If you do continue to choose Open, know that your skills can be > any ganker, PvPer, you just need to practice. In Open you MUST:-

1. Watch your scanner. In Open this is rule 2 on Page one, written in letters 76pt size, comic sans, red colour, underlined, bold.
2. Learn to evade in supercruise. There's lots of information on the forum, on YT etc. Essentially go the long way round, fly towards your oppo, lots of other stuff. All dependent on rule 1. (incidentally this can become a nerve wracking game of cat and mouse)
3. If interdicted, know your drills. e.g. have a high wake system already locked and loaded, submit, power to shields, boost at attacker, pray, change pants etc. Get this down. Practise with other people. Practise. Practise, then practise again.
4. Have an amusing taunt on a hotkey.

Generally speaking, once they are firing on you and you aren't on your escape drill, it's all over, welcome to the rebuy screen. Irritating I know, but potentially a lesson learned.

Again, good luck and fly safe in Open, but pay attention! Or switch modes to Solo or PG, it's your call.

A viper or cobra with 4 frags could do that, with no engineering whatsoever. You were just flying an inappropriately defenceless ship.

More likely it was. Fdl with 3 pas and engineering.. but just saying. Not everyone delivering “emergent gameplay “ does it in a god- rolled killing machine.. but if you choose to fly with paper shields and cardboard hull, you can expect to see the rebuy screen.

O.......... How you people purchase a game with the word "dangerous" in it, and then expect a carebear paradise devoid of risk or violence is utterly beyond me. ................

You could do with understanding that the name of the game has nothing to do with the state of the galaxy - it is a reference to a grade in the Pilot's Federation.

Unfortunately there are a lot of ignorant people who say "It's Elite Dangerous - live with it". Sad really, stupid people make the Sheldon sad, I can see why.

To summarise - you are wrong and your attitude to others is reprehensible.

Top Bottom