Competition: Your Fondest Frontier Memory!

Not a fondest memory, but more of a belated thank-you. When ED was in its infancy I wound up with leukaemia which put a big downer on things- and I asked FD if they could release the Viper Mk 3 next to cheer me up. I don't know if it was co-incidence or intentional, but the Viper was indeed the next ship to be added to the game. So if it was intentional, thanks!

My fondest memory was on the backleg of my great round trip.

After I visited the Black Hole at Sagittarius A" I travelled to Colonia and then took the route of the Colonia Connection Highway back to Earth. After over 1000 ly I found a system with two planets made of 100% metal. I still wish I had written down the system's name.
I only remember that I scanned all planets and I was the first to visit.

For me it's gotta be the time when I first jumped into a Neutron Star system. I was stunned. Literally. Stayed there for like five minutes just floating, in awe. The sound (or at least the sounds my brain were creating for me), the contrast with the blackness of the void...I wanted to cry, instead I just sighed and proceeded, thinking to myself: what a time to be alive.

I am guessing unlike many mine is relatively recent. I started playing Elite a few years back on the Xbox one, but for some reason maybe kids coming along maybe something else Elite and I drifted apart.
Then I came back to PC gaming after a 10 year 'break' of only really playing anything on console. A colleague of mine pushed me into taking another look at Elite and this time on PC. Well after stumbling upon something called Distant Worlds 2, not only did DW2 draw me into purchasing Elite on PC (twice) I then had the manic preparation and re-learn, as so much had changed. Now, only a matter of weeks on I have met a large number of like minded gamers/streamers who I regularly game with. Its amazing how quickly 'just' a game can change so much outside of the digital world not just in, thank you Elite and thank you Frontier.

I used to play on my C64 with my brother, he used to operate the keyboard and I used to use the joystick it was a kind of old school multi crew great fun.
Its his birthday in May so think I will buy him Elite Dangerous for his PS4 then we can try the modern day equivalent.

Last edited:
I got this game kind of on a whim, and played off and on for the past few years.

It finally really clicked for me when I was doing a trade mission with some (very) expensive cargo. Since I had to jump through several systems, I was scanning as I went, and on the last jump I was interdicted by an NPC pirate while I had the FSS open. Scrambling to get out of the radio tuner window, and then spooling my drive while trying avoid fire, only to jump with ~40% hull health remaining was a rush. This convinced me of two things: 1) I'm glad I didn't fogo shields for more cargo space, and 2) Exploration began to sound much less costly than trading. So far, it's been a blast!

My fondest memory is when I realised I had found a game I had played as a child that was way too complicated for me at the time and I was too young to remember what it was called but even tho it was a compiled out of CAD line drawings it was instantly recognisable despite the changes :)

Probably back when I was new to Elite: Dangerous, trying to get to a friend of mine who had traveled off 300 or 600 or so lightyears from me, so we could wing together and do the same sorts of activities with one another... My jump range in a Viper IV was 8 ly, I think? Maybe 16 at best? Something relatively tiny, at any rate. My friend was off in an Asp Explorer at the time, with a lot larger jump range. But he was busy doing some activities of his own, and I didn't want to drag him back my way.

It wasn't the distance of the journey, or the many jumps, or even some of the technical issues(since patched) that stick in mind, it was how winding the course I had to take was. You couldn't just plot from A to B and the navigation computer would take care of the rest, oh no.. Nearby stars in the bubble were too far apart, and fuel scooping only worked at some, so I'd have to take this looping, corkscrewing path between systems, just to get closer. It was an adventure, and I got familiar with different areas as I traveled, seeing systems that had stations of interest to dock at, or areas that simply seemed interesting.

If it's one thing I miss as a more experienced player, it's that having to take the time and care with traveling has long since receded into the past for me.

For me, my real first encounter with Frontier was when JW:E was being amde. I was impressed by the levels of professionalism the dev team showed and I think the game is only getting better and better.

My fondest memory is probably the purchase of my Asp Explorer to begin my true first trek into exploration. I'd gone on a small exploration jaunt only like 2000 ly from the bubble to get a starting fund and came back with enough money to get a decent set up (at the time at least) and enough for a few rebuys just in case. Currently I'm still on that trek, getting closer to the core and Sag A after a bit of a break.

Mine hasn't been a specific event but more of Elite: Dangerous in total. Nearly everyone in this game so far has been polite and nice, I've been able to get very far in the game with friends I've met while playing. I've loved everything about this game even the stress and fear of rushing back to a station after getting attacked for having a large amount of cargo, as you just barely make it through the mailslot in time, your oxygen on a few seconds. I've adored the amazing graphics of the game. I've loved the vastness and scale. Your game is amazing and I adore nearly everything about it.

Soooo let me take you back to 1986. Back then I earned my living as a space trader, flying between systems, dodging the occasional pirate, plotting the best routes to maximize profit. Pretty fast I realized that I wasn't going to shoot down any Anaconda any time soon, my flying skills being what they were back then. So before venturing into those systems full of nonfriendly people taking a fancy in the content of my cargo bay, I decided to bulk up Mickey (my ship, MK III, Mickey, get it? Ok, I was 15 years old...), to be in the side of caution. That was one side of the problem. The other was the deaded docking procedure. I could not for the life of me get my ship aligned with the corridor on the station: wiggling the joystick frantically, almost getting the ship parallel to the door, rotating at the right speed, almost there...almost there...aaaand game over. And therefore I had to get a docking computer as fast as I could in order to avoid the definitive embedding of my joystick inside my TV, at a momentary loss of self-control.
And so I did! But I didn't get to use it right away.
A few days later, I was returning from a very lucrative deal and was scrambling the get as fast as a could to a Coriolis station to sell my stuff and save the game, cutting through all the pirate ships one by one, waiting for the salutary 'S' on my cockpit to appear. But there still was one thing standing between me and my huge pile of hard-earned credits: the docking procedure. I clenched my teeth and squeezed my joystick as I was getting ready to maneuver my way into the station fully knowing that any misalignment of Mickey would result in disaster. With my heart jackhammering in my chest, I reluctantly started the procedure. And then it hit me: Push 'C' for cripes' sake!!! I had totally forgotten about the docking computer it had bought the last time I played the game! My finger moved like a viper attacking its prey and engaged the computer.
And there, in the silence of space, mostly decorated by the sounds of laser fire or the sound of a crashing hull on a space station, magic happened: Dum didi dum dum didi dum dum dum dum... my commodore...stated ...singing... I could not believe what was happening as I stood there, frozen by the unexpected music coming from the docking computer like a ray of light in the blackness of space. Slowly, my hand loosened and finally released the joystick as the docking computer led Mickey safely toward the entrance of the station. Relaxed now, with a grin on my face, I sat back and listened to this mesmerizing tune that would follow me for the rest of my life.
Later that year, my mother took me to the cinema to see a rerun of an old movie, you know which one, the one with the monkeys and the big granite rock and the murderous computer, and I remember clearly almost screaming at my mother when the scene with the space station appead: " Hey, they ripped off the music from Elite!!!".
This is my best moment in games, ever. So, Mr Braben, Mr Bell, I thank you for that. Oh, and special thanks to Johann, for the music.

Dum didi dum dum didi dum dum dum dum...

Last edited:
Dear Frontier,

I know, you had created a lot of amazing games in the last 25 years, driven on the very impressive versatile Cobra engine. But I have to start my story on a little piece of plastic, you didn't put your name on. Maybe not the best idea to win something, but I have to mention it, because it changed my life to the present day. And I was asked to tell my story, so you have to live with that.

Let's call it the procreation of Frontier.

dscf0004-1024x768.jpg

(Pic from StiGGy´s blog)

Like so many others, I started my journey through the Elite universe in the eighties as a child with my brave C64.

I was amazed, blown away and lost some grades in school (that's why my English is so bad, sorry but your fault) by flying in this first revolutionary sandbox game all through the night, like so many others. But I also became addicted in science and technology, so I could compensate some of my flaws and be quite successful in my later education. I buyed a reasonable Telescope, many tools, a lot of other space related stuff and of course some Raspberry Pi from the one above all ;)

Now in my forties, I started Elite again. What should I say, same procedure as before…

I was totally blown away by Elite Dangerous and played it more often, than any other game before. To look on the Orion Nebula from behind was one of these moments I will never forget :'(
After a while I wondered, what could be possible to make this universe even more interesting. So I looked around for a Player group. I was never part of this way of playing in the long term, because I always had too much to do in the real world with job and family. But at this time, three years ago, many groups were asking for a strong engagement, so I turned away from this idea, because of too much real life.
I still wanted to show anybody the wonders of Elite. Just at this time a friend’s son with the name Michel was born, and I found a system with the same name. This event brought me back to create something inside the universe, I was addicted to anyway.

So founded my own group and asked Frontier to establish the Likedeeler as a Faction in the System Michel. I gave the Faction the story, I was looking for. Some history, some dirt, some fun and as a central rule: Everyone should only do, what he enjoys.

I thought about a dozen pilots, most of them friends of mine, I could invite into this group and help them in the beginning making their way through the Elite universe, just to share the fun I had.

After that, even more magic kicked in: More and more excellent Pilots joined our Faction and we travelled through an amazing adventure since then. You asked for Memorys? Where to start? For example:

Stayed our ground against griefers, made science about Aliens, flew around Sag A, founded a Faction in Colonia, so we became the Likedeeler of Michel and Colonia [LoMaC], having racing weekends, cosplayed Elite also with my daughter on the Gamescom, enjoyed the honour to taking part at the Elite Meet in Cologne and shaking hands with the famous and very polite Bo, Ed, Adam and Sandro, enjoying their livestreams, having contact with Will, making friends with so many other pilots and Factions all around the world, salute to the tragic lost of CMDR Lilith...

20181021213121_1.jpg

...name one of our systems in Likedeeler Magna Libertas, printing 3D ships and building real life Cockpits, take part in the NASA Insight Mission as a Faction, getting dizzy from VR, having a Likedeeler Faction Meet on the EDersee, pilots creating a song for us, sharing Logbooks https://inara.cz/cmdr-logbook/25788/20410/ on the great Inara website (!), using Aussidroids Warthog Script, waiting for new fantastic content from the community like Lave Radio and Obsidian Ant, creating Logos for shirts, mugs and flags an carrying them around the world.

DSC_1418.jpg

All these moments will stay in time, like stars in space.

We don't know why, but now we are 300 pilots, having the lead in more than 50 systems, located in the Top Ten of the Elite System owners and all of this is build up with fun, respect and joy. Many of our pilots are active every day, but not because they have to do that, just because they love to be there.
This is the point, I am really very proud of.

Frontiers Elite was the platform we was able to build on our own story. So it had became more than a game for all of us. From the oldest to the youngest Likedeeler, we know, this is a precious gift, we are very thankful for.

This is, what we memorize by thinking of Frontier.

All I can say is: Thank you Frontier, the entire team, for this amazing experience.

We need you also in the next 50 years to proceed blazing our trail [yesnod]

Carry on!

o9

Raise the mug

DSC_0530.jpg

BoardingPass_MyNameOnInSightserge2.png

20181010_204750.jpg

40602x8093.jpg

hero2.png

20171022193325_1.jpg

CameraZOOM-20180621101544239.jpg

PPM-304574-c-bh58fCWWVuxV.jpg

gruppenfoto_Kopie.png

Last edited:
A big Thank You to all involved in creating any Elite game!
My best moment was experiencing ED in VR - it is kind of what I dreamed of when I first learned about the existence of VR technology.
Keep up the good work and Happy Birthday!

The 1980's in Poland were strange times.
Looking back, I don't exactly know why, to me it wasn't so bad. The school, home, everything seems to me as it is now, except the stories of shops with empty shelves (except for vinegar, you could always buy vinegar), limited number of state issued vouchers for various products, long queues. I remember only glimpses of that other world.
After school, we would go to the state owned shop called Pewex. They had all kinds of stuff imported from the west - alcohol, real chocolate, perfumes, clothing, and most importantly toys like Lego. We would look through the window and talk about them. Unfortunately, one wasn't just allowed to buy stuff there. You'd have to have US dollars or Deutchmarks and one was not allowed to just travel abroad so these were only objects of children's reverence and dreams.

Then, the 90s came and everything changed.
Around 1990 or '91 I got a C64 from my parents but around that time, my best friend got an Amiga 500.
From this moment on, not a day went by when I wouldn't be late to get home. Usually it was just an hour or two late but occasionally we would be interrupted by my friend's mum with dinner (when did she manage to come back from work?).
Quite often I would get home late in the evening when it was already dark. Oh, the fury of the birth-giver...

One of the games that got us glued to the screen was the Elite. What a challenge it was. Finding your way around the universe without the manual or star chart was extremely difficult but my friend did it. I would usually sit and watch as he plays but he also let me play a fair amount of time.
I remember spending long hours flying around the galaxy. The steering was very odd at the time but we got used to it.
The greatest challenge was the language. I've only just started learning English and knew a few words and phrases. Certainly, it wasn't nearly close enough you'd need to understand a thing the game was communicating. It was absolutely necessary for us to keep a dictionary close at hand. We often felt like earthlings on an alien ship trying to decipher each function of it.

It was one of those little things that hooked me up with astronomy. Others were a local planetarium, a book and a 30 year old home made telescope.
Today, I work as a professional astronomer and I can sincerely say, the Elite influenced my life.

So my outstanding memory was in 2016.

I was trying out exploration for the first time visiting places people had suggested for tourist destinations. After trying a few close to the bubble i really wanted to go check out this Green Gas Giant system someone had posted, because it looked awesome. (Blua Hypa HT-F D12-1226)

So being the exploration rookie i was, i decided to A-Rate a Courier, i remember i got it to 15ly jump range which was like double the stock, i dont think i had dabbed in engineering yet so i just headed off on the 14,610.60 ly trip.

It was really fun finding unexplored systems and my first water world, landing on planets with cool views, skybox getting brighter you get to the core.

Eventually after a week of travelling i got to my destination and what a view for 2016 elite dangerous.

MQ7MOMn.jpg

b7BT1II.jpg

I remember i had to wait a few hours for the moon to line up for a perfect shot. I remember at the time Jaques had just been found so no highway or any other stations, so i had another week long journey back to the bubble, to sell my data.

To this day Courier is my fav exploration ship but its like 40ly jump range now, but i will never forget this trip at the time it was pretty epic for me.

Last edited:
My fondest memory.... Simple.

I started playing Elite on my Acorn Electron back when I was young free and sometimes single. I managed to reach the dizzy heights of Elite status too!
I then stumbled across the BBC Elite emulator many years later and was automatically hooked again, but didn't really have much play time being married with daughters.
Then Elite Dangerous arrived and that was it. I got it for the PC, then the Mac and finally the PS4 (my current preference due to slow performance on the desktops).
One day my wife walked in and said, "you really like that game don't you?" to which I said "I love it, it just gets better and better".....
Two days later, and without any prompting she came in and said "I've just upgraded it to Horizons for you, you may as well have the latest".
She smiled and walked out of the room.........

The first time i went bounty hunting in my Corvette, It killed ships so fast compared to my old Fer-De-Lance. Was really worth saving the money and the rank grind.

It was just some minutes ago. I'am flying The Aida on the way back from a long distance passenger mission when i suddently discovered some stellar phenomena in the traikoa sector.
Well, i decided to have a look and maybe scan it. Never had seen such big crystals in space. Suddently we got sensor contact with something, i don't know what it was, never seen such a thing.
Somethings definitely lurking out there and we made the hell outta there. I couldn't risk my passengers life. I don't know what it was, but it scared us all. Evil is coming...

Top Bottom