Console Update

Sad news, but working on and supporting two codebases of a single product must be hell for a dev team.
Hopefully, we will see faster and better quality development on the PC version.
In the end, Its better to have a great game for a single platform, than mediocre and slowly developing one on a few platforms...
PS: Better transfer options will be a must-have IMHO. There are a lot of console players with years of experience out there in the black.

Greetings Commanders,

Elite Dangerous is a game close to my heart.

It’s no secret that Odyssey’s launch was less than ideal, including the need to split the PC/console player base to focus on a PC-only launch. Since Odyssey’s release in May 2021, we have worked tirelessly to improve the Odyssey experience on PC, and whilst we have made great progress there is still more to be done. We have been supporting the pre-Odyssey and post-Odyssey codebases since.

Over the last several months, we have been wrestling with the best way to move forward, and it is with a heavy heart we have decided to cancel all console development. We need to be able to move forward with the story of the game, and in order for us to do this we need to focus on a single codebase. Elite Dangerous will continue on console as it is now together with critical updates, but we will focus on new content updates on PC on the post-Odyssey codebase.

We appreciate this news is not what our console community were hoping for. This was not an easy decision to make, but it was made with the long-term future of Elite Dangerous in mind.
Oh boy, thats half the player base gone. How is frontier going to fare with only half of the original base, crazy

I'm sure many console players have vast game assets and materials with hundreds if not thousands of hours invested in the game.

With no means of transferring these assets from those player consoles to PC, they not only lost their investment in the cost of the game, they lost the hours invested, the tags gained, and all ARX purchases.

I think it would be very generous of Frontier to offer some bit of compensation for those so affected, to include a complementary copy of the game for PC, as well as any ARX assets associated with the console account.

Although I don't own a console, I would be extremely upset having lost both the monetary cost, as well as the personal investment in game time.

On the plus side, at least this confirms there is a plan & a future vision for the game going forward. That is a real positive, & even whilst I understand this is a kick in the teeth for console only players, at least the game as is will be supported - I know that won't be enough for everyone, but for some.
I don't know what I would do if the game were switched off - there's literally nothing else that scratches my gaming and de-stressing itch.

Top Bottom