Console Update

I don't think anyone is happy with this news (even the share price has taken a minor hit since the announcement) but it was inevitable and hopefully Frontier will now have a solid foundation to build back from

I do think free transfers from console to PC should have been explored and announced along with this announcement though. Saying you're "looking into it" now is no use as you'll likely have no console players left to transfer if/when you set it up down the road (and I say that as a pc player)

Even more disappointing is no PS5 or SX versions.

Thanks for the sympathy, very much appreciated.
I do understand FDEV, and I pretty sure people involved with software development know how hard is do develop to multiple platforms. Live games are even harder.
At the end, Elite will be a better product with focus; we may like or not the decision, but that's the reality.

I'm sure many console players have vast game assets and materials with hundreds if not thousands of hours invested in the game.

With no means of transferring these assets from those player consoles to PC, they not only lost their investment in the cost of the game, they lost the hours invested, the tags gained, and all ARX purchases.

I think it would be very generous of Frontier to offer some bit of compensation for those so affected, to include a complementary copy of the game for PC, as well as any ARX assets associated with the console account.

Although I don't own a console, I would be extremely upset having lost both the monetary cost, as well as the personal investment in game time.

I think this is a great idea. However, if they had to choose between providing a clear and smooth transition or this, I'd hope they choose the former.

Well, thanks for throwing my 4000 hours of progress, hundreds of dollars of cosmetic purchases, and love for your company into the trash. Good luck moving forward. A transfer is the least you could offer your customers but we've come to learn to expect nothing but disappoint from you so we won't hold our breath.
I have fate they will.

This is something that community have to ask for.

Dropped console support, dropped VR support, alienating customers by the 1k's.
I havent plated ED/EDO since the announcement of no VR support for a game I pre purchased EDO and to find out a month later that I can't play VR was total horse .
This is what happens when you choose the wrong game engine for Odyssey.
FD deservers what ever fall out comes of this.

Greetings Commanders,

Elite Dangerous is a game close to my heart.

It’s no secret that Odyssey’s launch was less than ideal, including the need to split the PC/console player base to focus on a PC-only launch. Since Odyssey’s release in May 2021, we have worked tirelessly to improve the Odyssey experience on PC, and whilst we have made great progress there is still more to be done. We have been supporting the pre-Odyssey and post-Odyssey codebases since.

Over the last several months, we have been wrestling with the best way to move forward, and it is with a heavy heart we have decided to cancel all console development. We need to be able to move forward with the story of the game, and in order for us to do this we need to focus on a single codebase. Elite Dangerous will continue on console as it is now together with critical updates, but we will focus on new content updates on PC on the post-Odyssey codebase.

We appreciate this news is not what our console community were hoping for. This was not an easy decision to make, but it was made with the long-term future of Elite Dangerous in mind.
after 6 years and more than 12000 flight hours you tell me as console player this is it. damn this is a slap in the face. what a waste.
i hope there is at least a full cmdr transfer possible from console to pc ??? i really hope so else it the end for a lot of players incl me. this really disgust me. what you thinking frontier.

Greetings Commanders,

Elite Dangerous is a game close to my heart.

It’s no secret that Odyssey’s launch was less than ideal, including the need to split the PC/console player base to focus on a PC-only launch. Since Odyssey’s release in May 2021, we have worked tirelessly to improve the Odyssey experience on PC, and whilst we have made great progress there is still more to be done. We have been supporting the pre-Odyssey and post-Odyssey codebases since.

Over the last several months, we have been wrestling with the best way to move forward, and it is with a heavy heart we have decided to cancel all console development. We need to be able to move forward with the story of the game, and in order for us to do this we need to focus on a single codebase. Elite Dangerous will continue on console as it is now together with critical updates, but we will focus on new content updates on PC on the post-Odyssey codebase.

We appreciate this news is not what our console community were hoping for. This was not an easy decision to make, but it was made with the long-term future of Elite Dangerous in mind.
Well thanks but no thanks. I well not be playing Elite anymore on my Xbox and I well not play Elite on my Pc either. As far I'm concerned Elite is a dead game. I well never buy another game from Frontier again.

Thank You, Mr Braben. I am just happy to hear this clarified and hopefully in the future you could decide to run it on current gen consoles.
I know you said ALL console development but the Playstation 5 should be capable of running Odyssey. Now I have to think about what I want to do,
At least you said something so I can respect that. Maybe one day I'll buy a steam deck?

It took balls to make that decision. I'm actually impressed by that. But the console players have supported the game for years. The least that can be done for them is to set up a mechanism where they can freely transfer their accounts to PC, and also they should be given a license to play Horizons on PC, via a free Steam code that they can redeem or maybe just entitle it on the Frontier account. They shouldn't have to pay for the game again, that wouldn't be fair at all.

I think this was the right decision, but please let's make sure there is a path for the loyal console customers to make the transition.

Dissapointing for the console community. But understandable. I really hope this will allow things to move forward now and comms to return.

Also, I agree with the others here on the commander save transfer option. I think we owe the console community at least the option to fully port over to PC and continue their adventures there if they so wish.

Top Bottom