Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
If I visit a system containing only stellar bodies and use the FSS. What exactly do I have left to explore?
Not much, but it was not much different to the old system. The only thing the old system do was give a tag saying I WOZ ERE when you got close enough and even then you didn't need to be able to see it properly, it could just be a dot in the distance. Great exploring there. Most of the time you don't even need to move from your position to scan seller bodies.

Not what I would call exploring, but each to their own.

Not much, but it was not much different to the old system. The only thing the old system do was give a tag saying I WOZ ERE when you got close enough and even then you didn't need to be able to see it properly, it could just be a dot in the distance. Great exploring there. Most of the time you don't even need to move from your position to scan seller bodies.

Not what I would call exploring, but each to their own.

So NOT exactly like the ADS then. Glad you finally admitted that.

Respectfully though, I think you're assuming - even if all explorers do it the same way - the FSS/DSS are only for explorers. The DSS does serve a specific purpose if you're into volcanics for example and I also think it's a bit much to say there's no skillage in it at all. Potoato worlds might be simple to probe but ringed gas giants do take some doing, especially if you test yourself to do them quickly.

I do take your point about data appearance but to migrate that across I think classification of planets is a bit of an unknown quantity presently, mostly because atmospheric planets are a totally unknown quantity still. Classifying planets includes atmospheres and for me is most likely why the data comes in the honk by default, because we have to assume when models for atmos come in, things like storm systems would come under the (detailed) probe view. At the moment it obviously doesn't but the data is for now still held in the (programming) 'safe space' of the ADS, that's likely where the database always was held.

I'm very much only talking about my personal opinions of the FSS and DSS. I know people use them in different ways and for different things, and get enjoyment out of them. This is why I've been calling for more CHOICES in exploration equipment, so that exploration becomes enjoyable for a wider range of exploration gameplay styles.

The DSS functionality is fine, and will hopefully be better when/if atmospheric planets become a thing. The gameplay however needs a lot of work.

So you think tunning the radio is a kind of effort?

There’s more to it than tuning the radio and you either know that or you’ve been chugging the Kool-aid and never looked at this yourself. You still have to manually locate the bodies you’re scanning, which can lie on very divergent orbital planes, be obscured by stars, or what have you.

And it’s still 100% more to actually do than there was previously - honk, point your ship in a direction and fly. If you set your throttle and approach vector correctly, you wouldn’t even have to look up at the screen for a DSS to complete, as the planet’s gravity would slow you just enough for the scan, which could take much longer than a tune-in or even surface mapping, to complete.

There’s more to it than tuning the radio and you either know that or you’ve been chugging the Kool-aid and never looked at this yourself. You still have to manually locate the bodies you’re scanning, which can lie on very divergent orbital planes, be obscured by stars, or what have you.

I know it's not only that, good thing I didnt claim so...

And it’s still 100% more to actually do than there was previously - honk, point your ship in a direction and fly. If you set your throttle and approach vector correctly, you wouldn’t even have to look up at the screen for a DSS to complete, as the planet’s gravity would slow you just enough for the scan, which could take much longer than a tune-in or even surface mapping, to complete.

And that's a problem, I have to spend more time for the same reward, this wouldn't be bad if the discovery mechanics were good but they aren't*.

*It's redundant to say that this is an opinion.

Last edited:
It could auto-tune on approach to a singular body...
And that remove player choice. All it does is speed up the full scan in miniscule way. It's pointless. You still have to use the FSS.

Personally I want to have the option of choosing what I want to look for. Otherwise it's just moving some aiming reticule around with having to make.any decisions.

That would make an okay system and make it worse.

Again, I am not against an optional module that does that for you.

And that remove player choice. All it does is speed up the full scan in miniscule way. It's pointless. You still have to use the FSS.

Personally I want to have the option of choosing what I want to look for. Otherwise it's just moving some aiming reticule around with having to make.any decisions.

That would make an okay system and make it worse.

Again, I am not against an optional module that does that for you.

Toggle and it speeding up the process is something I'm looking forward to.

Me personally, I'd rather have one form of FTL only - hyperspace, with the ability to pop out wherever I want in a solar system. I'd also prefer a much higher cap on top "real space" speeds - say 0.5 C, and have thruster size affect acceleration rather than top speed. For the sake of combat, there could be speed restriction zones around stations and other areas where combat might take place (something that works similar to a permit lock but for thrusters).

Supercruise in ED is way more magical than artificial gravity. Even if we could travel faster than light in this fashion, we'd not see anything outside our windows except perhaps a psychedelic light show. Hyperspace (which I consider a space-folding or wormhole-generating technology) feels much more realistic to me. Give me The Expanse with FTL and that would be great.

If we could pop in and out, from point to point, all over the place, with the hyperspace mechanic, then that would really degrade the experience of space travel.
As far as I am concerned that would be a disaster for the game.

I think Supercruise gives you the sensation of space travel. I still think it is awesome and a thrill to swoop around planets, soar past a beautiful star or planet, and I must have done it thousands of times by now.
I love supercruise. It is a magnificent addition to this spacesim.
It is the perfect balance between extremely fast spacetravel and still being awed by the enormity of the universe.
SC also offers possibilities for added gameplay.

I would welcome limited in system mini jumps though. So there would be a minimum distance you can use in system jumps. This would be useful in very large systems.
But there could be other limitations to. Just to make it interesting.

I made a proposal long ago:

I would like changes to supercruise.

CHANGE 1.
I want more player agency. I want to have more influence on flying in supercruise, more piloty things to do.
This could be done via pip management for example.

CHANGE 2.
I also want the HUD to change its layout in supercruise with new HUD elements, just like it changes when you approach a planet.
I am sure FD could make something up to make it look cool and different and appropriate for Supercruise.

CHANGE 3.
I would like to be able to do in-system mini jumps to other stars in the same system.
There could be rules for this to be possible:
1. A second star has to be at least 50.000 ls (just an arbitrary number) removed from the main star for example.
2. You might need to fly 1000 ls away from the main star to be able to do a minijump
3. Minijumps might cause light damage to the FSD
4. Minijumps might consume a lot of fuel, because... reasons.
5. We might have to buy an expensive modification for the FSD to make minijumps possible.
6. Minijumps might not be possible to certain star types.
7. Some far away stations (for example military installations) might have jump inhibitor technology to prevent ships from jumping in via mini jump.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom