Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
8. Check FSS for bodies of interest:

This is a key point of difference between those who like the FSS and those who aren't so keen.

If searching for specific body types is what makes them interesting, then the waveform gives you what you want.
If that isn't what you find interesting, then you need to scan before you can find out if there is anything that warrants further investigation.

This is a key point of difference between those who like the FSS and those who aren't so keen.

If searching for specific body types is what makes them interesting, then the waveform gives you what you want.
If that isn't what you find interesting, then you need to scan before you can find out if there is anything that warrants further investigation.

Hopefully you're no scientist. You wouldn't come all too far if you're only interested in the result but want to skip the whole process to come to this result. And mind you, the FSS is just a very shy and almost symbolic attempt of a scientific method. I'm pretty sure you would like a way more realistic approach even less. I you ask why, it's on the polar opposite of the string ADS - FSS - true science. You would at least prefer the FSS over the ADS in that case...

Last edited:
Hopefully you're no scientist. You wouldn't come all too far if you're only interested in the result but want to skip the whole process to come to this result. And mind you, the FSS is just a very shy and almost symbolic attempt to provide a scientific method. I'm pretty sure you would like a way more realistic approach even less.

A tedious and dull post - much like the FSS.

It's a game - a game that I used to enjoy.
I don't enjoy the FSS, therefore exploration no longer holds any interest at all.

The honk was not the process, it was the start of one - a process that I enjoyed.
A process that the FSS could have enhanced instead of replaced.

Simple: It’s not the 1 click gods-eye-view as you race through system after system, like you’re about to lose the race, that the old ADS was, and kids can’t stand having to put forth any kind of effort whatsoever. After all, no one even asked them if they wanted to be born, so they’re entitled to everything being handed to them because they exist, with an apology for them having to be here at all.

So you think tunning the radio is a kind of effort?

The only time i kinda dislike the FSS is in a system infested by Thargoids where i have to scan 200+ USS.
Otherwise i find it very OK-ish
The only thing i would improve to it is the sniper requirements for the zoom. You have a big circle, but it not enough to put the target inside it, it has to be precisely centered

Edit: fogot to mention that i'm the obsessive type that has to fully FSS every system i get into.

A tedious and dull post - much like the FSS.

It's a game - a game that I used to enjoy.
I don't enjoy the FSS, therefore exploration no longer holds any interest at all.

The honk was not the process, it was the start of one - a process that I enjoyed.
... yawn, and that's where it all turns in circles again. As if we're just having this discussion for the very first time and I've never heard about this statement before. Sorry, mate, I only can talk to people who consider me not totally senile yet. ;)

Personally, I love the FSS because it's a game. Gaming always implies some sort of activity to me and is not just another word for 'entertainment' - again: in my opinion. With lots of tinfoiling you can of course label any sort of mind games as 'activity', but for a game I expect a little more than that.

Last edited:
Hopefully you're no scientist. You wouldn't come all too far if you're only interested in the result but want to skip the whole process to come to this result. And mind you, the FSS is just a very shy and almost symbolic attempt of a scientific method. I'm pretty sure you would like a way more realistic approach even less. I you ask why, it's on the polar opposite of the string ADS - FSS - true science. You would at least prefer the FSS over the ADS in that case...

Realism is often not the best choice of design, ED has several example of this.

Seriously though you can't really say you've explored it if you haven't probed a new planet.

And in that sense, enhanced it, is exactly what the FSS has done. So has the DSS mechanic.
FSS > one honk and DSS > just fly up to it and wait 15 secs.

Mapping some of those big giants, especially the ringed ones is a real achievement imo. (Point and wait, bwahaha)

Personally I would prefer to supercruise to other systems instead of the hyperjump.

Probably going a bit far to make that the only way to get to the next star system but as one way to get there .. # I want that I want that I want that

... yawn, and that's where it all turns in circles again. As if we're just having this discussion for the very first time and I've never heard about this statement before. Sorry, mate, I only can talk to people who consider me not totally senile yet. ;)

Personally, I love the FSS because it's a game. Gaming always implies some sort of activity to me and is not just another word for 'entertainment' - again: in my opinion. With lots of tinfoiling you can of course label any sort of mind games as 'activity', but for a game I expect a little more than that.

Replying is optional if you're so bored by the posts.

If only the FSS was also optional.

Seriously though you can't really say you've explored it if you haven't probed a new planet.

And in that sense, enhanced it, is exactly what the FSS has done. So has the DSS mechanic.
FSS > one honk and DSS > just fly up to it and wait 15 secs.

Mapping some of those big giants, especially the ringed ones is a real achievement imo. (Point and wait, bwahaha)

Probably going a bit far to make that the only way to get to the next star system but as one way to get there .. # I want that I want that I want that

The new DSS has indeed extended exploration and is an improvement.
The FSS is indeed a better body scanner than the old DSS.

The issue is that the FSS is a terrible system scanner, if you can call it one at all.

So you think tunning the radio is a kind of effort?

Depends on what signal I'm trying to pick up or maintain.

Trying to get that 1.733Gbps signal through two walls and a floor on my 4x4 MIMO 802.11AC network, which requires eight antennae be in precisely the correct orientation, can be quite a chore.

I'm sure the Yugoslav radar operators who managed to detect and shoot down an F-117 (one of the most advanced and stealthiest aircraft of the era), with SAMs directed by 30+ year old Soviet radar sets tuned to frequencies well below what they were specified to operate at, were performing an even greater feat.

The FSS tuning mechanism in ED is a bit more simplistic than I'd find truly engaging, but interpreting it correctly can still provide much of the information the old system map ping could.

The issue is that the FSS is a terrible system scanner, if you can call it one at all.

I don't know .. it's geeky see. If you drill into it, the tuning scale is neat and lore/mind expanding plus, "hang on, just let me tune my mass spectrometer a minute," is a sentence I never thought I'd get to say! I think you'd be pressed to come up with a better new system personally, especially given the old system wasn't a system at all. Change isn't easy but I bet a (not lazy) noob would prefer it in a Pepsi challenge.

I don't know .. it's geeky see. If you drill into it, the tuning scale is neat and lore/mind expanding plus, "hang on, just let me tune my mass spectrometer a minute," is a sentence I never thought I'd get to say! I think you'd be pressed to come up with a better new system personally, especially given the old system wasn't a system at all. Change isn't easy but I bet a (not lazy) noob would prefer it in a Pepsi challenge.

The best analogy I can think of is that some people like jigsaws and other people like colouring books.

The FSS is for the jigsaw people, building up a picture of the system piece by piece.
The ADS was more for the colouring book people - starting with an outline and filling in the detail.

Yes, the old ADS provided too much detail too start with - most people admit that, but if you don't like jigsaws, it was still better than the FSS.

My ideal would be a toned down ADS that provides a less detailed overview.
Selectable targets so that I can choose to fly to targets before scanning.
And the option to use the FSS while I'm on my way.

Best of both worlds, a choice of methods to mix and match as you see fit.

The best analogy I can think of is that some people like jigsaws and other people like colouring books.

The FSS is for the jigsaw people, building up a picture of the system piece by piece.
The ADS was more for the colouring book people - starting with an outline and filling in the detail.

Yes, the old ADS provided too much detail too start with - most people admit that, but if you don't like jigsaws, it was still better than the FSS.

My ideal would be a toned down ADS that provides a less detailed overview.
Selectable targets so that I can choose to fly to targets before scanning.
And the option to use the FSS while I'm on my way.

Best of both worlds, a choice of methods to mix and match as you see fit.

A black and white jigsaw that you can choose to color in.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom