Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Here's a challenge. Find someone inside frontier, familiar with the fss, that goes home and plays elite in anticipation of using the fss to go exploring or find signal sources. Get them to come on stream, and use it over an extended period, sharing insights about what they're enjoying about the experience, and critically what they're thinking thoughout its use. Ever since its launch, i can't do it, and i've tried seriously... i'm very fond of elite, and all i've ever wanted to do was make it work.

I just watched Paiges live stream, and for the first time in history saw someone at frontier use the fss is a non dismissive way. How she used it was closer to how i try to use it, as when trying the way Will demonstrates I almost quit the game. But im genuinely lost on how that experience can be used enjoyably for longer exploration trips.

Just in case, avoiding another type of gameplay does not count as enjoyment to me. That's fools gold there.

Please help, and thankyou. A demonstration of 2-3 systems in sequence is all i need help with.

Here's how I use it:

1. Honk
2. Open FSS
3. Examine spectrum to determine if there are bodies I may want to scan
4. Close FSS
5. Fly around identifying system bodies using parallax observations
6. Perform close fly-by of bodies to auto-resolve
6a. I may occasionally stop to check the FSS spectrum to see if I've located everything of interest

Depending on the system, I may also do the following after auto-resolving all bodies:

7. Open FSS
8. Zoom into landable bodies to check for biological/geological sites
9. Fly to identified sites and map the body

This process keeps the time I spend in the FSS to an absolute minimum and removes the necessity to play 'hunt the blob' and 'tune n zoom'. In addition, I feel a sense of achievement for every body I find by parallax, especially those off the orbital plane or long distances from the drop-in point.

Last edited:
The fss is horrible
Everyone knows it
But FD spent a lot of time and money on it
so they want to pretend to believe it’s great

+1 - Have a MEGA hat

32vlvm.jpg

What about: re-adding ADS with some tweaks ?
Examples:
  • it only identifies USSs, not bodies
  • identifies everything in some range (~1000ls)
  • works like SFN - uses SYS while pressed to increase identification diameter

While I quite like FSS for body identification, I HATE it when I need to identify USSs - even more in systems with 100 of them.
I know I could go to NavBeacon, BUT that is often just another time sink ...
For example NHSS hunting in Pleiades ... when you jump there, it is OK to use NavBeacon ... but then returning there after each drop-off to identify additonal USSs is ... exhausting ?

What about: re-adding ADS with some tweaks ?
Examples:
  • it only identifies USSs, not bodies
  • identifies everything in some range (~1000ls)
  • works like SFN - uses SYS while pressed to increase identification diameter
While I quite like FSS for body identification, I HATE it when I need to identify USSs - even more in systems with 100 of them.
I know I could go to NavBeacon, BUT that is often just another time sink ...
For example NHSS hunting in Pleiades ... when you jump there, it is OK to use NavBeacon ... but then returning there after each drop-off to identify additonal USSs is ... exhausting ?
I think the FSS scanner is otherwise great, but it's annoying when it gets cluttered with the bodies and the signal sources. I would give it different modes for those things. When in body scanning mode, all of it is reserved for bodies and USS signals are scrunched to the left side of the bar just to inform the player that they are present. When in signal scanning mode, the body signals are likewise scrunched to the right side and all of the bar is reserved for different kinds of USSes.

There could also be another setting that separates the signals by distance, not by type, but I fear it would be too much for all the arcade players who already complain that the controls are too complex.

I love FSS and I'm a big fan of it. I do not understand what's so terrible about FSS.

Simple: It’s not the 1 click gods-eye-view as you race through system after system, like you’re about to lose the race, that the old ADS was, and kids can’t stand having to put forth any kind of effort whatsoever. After all, no one even asked them if they wanted to be born, so they’re entitled to everything being handed to them because they exist, with an apology for them having to be here at all.

Simple: It’s not the 1 click gods-eye-view as you race through system after system, like you’re about to lose the race, that the old ADS was, and kids can’t stand having to put forth any kind of effort whatsoever. After all, no one even asked them if they wanted to be born, so they’re entitled to everything being handed to them because they exist, with an apology for them having to be here at all.

What a beautiful strawman you've constructed.

Since I find the FSS to be overly simplistic I've replaced it for body discovery with parallax searching, which involves a lot more effort to both locate the bodies and resolve them. But yeah, I'M the one who's lazy.

Your statement makes me wonder if you actually used the ADS to find something.

Perhaps you could have a go at answering the OP's question on Frontier's behalf with a video or description of what you enjoy about it? I like the benefit of being able to scan at a distance but it seems like a repetitive, disjointed chore to me.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom