Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
"I am everybody, my opinion is yours...." - usual crew...

Oh well, the same names, the same bleating.

Why ask someone else to explain how to do something enjoyably, if you don't enjoy something then you just don't - no-one else (apart from those who speak for everybody) can change your feelings :)

I couldn't possibly explain why I enjoy the FSS/DSS combo, as you aren't able to understand what goes on inside my head... (because it is my head...duh!)

I'll drop back in for next month's ADS/FSS thread :)

Everyone agrees that no one enjoys it. not everyone enjoys it

Fixed that for you.

I like it. Though then again, it suits the way I play. How about being constructive in criticism then? There have been several suggestions in thread for what might improve it, I think maybe a single stop zoom out. Back a new horse if you don't like the old one. (Virtual down vote).

If I'm honest i like the FSS. It's a proper mechanic which does, for one, feel like a proper scanner. Feels like operating a dedicated equipment.
However, at least to me, it got old rather quick once i realised i'm spending a lot of my time spotting blue blobs and clicking on them to later realise the system i'm in has nothing of interest.
While i would not say FSS is completely and utterly broken and should be removed what i would love to see happen is if FDev added some more exploration dedicated modules that would alter the gameplay loop and playstyle for those who would decide to use them. Unlike PVE/PVP-eers and miners explorers are locked to using only one module following only one playstyle.
Moreover, what i find silly is before 3.3, one would have to spend some credits to outfit their ship to make it properly suited for exploration i.e. buying more and more advanced scanner and now every single ship starts with top shelf exploration equipment. The way i see it, is that exploration is no longer a role one would choose but an imposed, default role for everyone.

Another thought I had was if you took hands off all controls, the reticule might start to drift automatically towards unresolved blobs. That might be a devil to program though, so another possibility could be to make the indictor arrows (see Hooplah's post) show up for whatever is the next nearest signal. If there's one pesky one remaining that indicator would show up regardless of whether you're pointing the exact wrong direction. (It seems now they show up when you're in range of a signal just off screen but not if you're miles out).

I'm still struggling to find out what issues you guys have with the unresolved blobs. Just can't see it, but then I'm probably one of the last remaining players in 2-D. Could it possibly be an exclusive issue in VR? And true, it should be fixable.
Not a VR issue for me. The only thing I have issue with is that the orbit lines are missing in the FSS for VR. Apart from that, I really like it in VR.

If we could pop in and out, from point to point, all over the place, with the hyperspace mechanic, then that would really degrade the experience of space travel.
As far as I am concerned that would be a disaster for the game.
Don't worry, I'm not suggesting Frontier change the game. I'm just saying that once I unlock the multiverse, I'll find the version of earth where Frontier stuck with their original plan to implement FTL in this fashion and grab a copy of that Elite.

I'm still struggling to find out what issues you guys have with the unresolved blobs. Just can't see it, but then I'm probably one of the last remaining players in 2-D. Could it possibly be an exclusive issue in VR?
One thing is for certain Mr P. Even though the good and clever people at Frontier thought up quite a nice ‘technical’ way of resolving planets and moons etc. It removes us from the in-cockpit experience which I do not like. And feels like it was given very little, and close to zero consideration in making it an excellent VR experience. Other than getting it to work......eventually, after a few update fixes.

I like the new system, but, for those reasons I keep its use to a bare minimum.

Flimley

Last edited:
As I said - no one actually likes the FSS.
Some feel obliged to pretend to like it. Maybe out of some weird fanboy view-point. I dunno.
But, no one, in their heart, really, actually like likes it.
Curses, you have discovered my secret identity as the leader of the White Knight Fanboy Club! Time to derail this thread with some Elephant Butt Leather misdirection before everyone else learns my secret!

Speaking of leader, you should really run for United States President.

It removes us from the in-cockpit experience which I do not like. And feels like it was given very little, and close to zero consideration in making it an excellent VR experience.
That is also a small issue with the FSS. Becoming this ethereal form which does not collide with any part of the ship.
I don't use VR but i figure it must be rather awkward if not scary experience, floating in nothingness to search for signals.
Maybe making it that the "scanner" does not collide with the ship and has perfect spherical movement range is dictated as a means of displaying the ship's gathered data? As in we are not the "telescope" itself but rather browsing gathered data? Not sure, i like to think of it as such. That way i feel less detached from the world when playing.
Part of why i liked the previous system better is because i would do everything from the safe confines of my cockpit without being teleported to this FSS spectral realm.

That is also a small issue with the FSS. Becoming this ethereal form which does not collide with any part of the ship.
I don't use VR but i figure it must be rather awkward if not scary experience, floating in nothingness to search for signals.

Yeah, don’t look down ! Or actually, in any direction other than forward. :ROFLMAO:

Flimley

One thing is for certain Mr P. Even though the good and clever people at Frontier thought up quite a nice ‘technical’ way of resolving planets and moons etc. It removes us from the in-cockpit experience which I do not like. And feels like it was given very little, and close to zero consideration in making it an excellent VR experience. Other than getting it to work......eventually, after a few update fixes.

I like the new system, but, for those reasons I keep its use to a bare minimum.

Flimley
I don't think of it as being removed from the cockpit. I see it as a 360 Deg VR projection while sitting in your cockpit. So I'm using VR while my commander is using VR.

The fss is horrible
Everyone knows it
But FD spent a lot of time and money on it
so they want to pretend to believe it’s great
"Everyone knows it"
No, it is significantly better then honking in my book, because I actually 'do' something it feels move involved and not simply a click and move on.

However yes it takes more time, and many people are against that and find it annoying, and there is nothing wrong in that, but at least admit that.

"Everyone knows it"
No, it is significantly better then honking in my book, because I actually 'do' something it feels move involved and not simply a click and move on.

However yes it takes more time, and many people are against that and find it annoying, and there is nothing wrong in that, but at least admit that.

I don't mind it taking time but I do mind that that time is not enjoyable. Point at blob and twiddle the thingamibob.. I mean, really? That's what they came up with?
I wonder if they purposefully went for the most banal thing that they could think of?
Which is why no one enjoys it. ;)

Last edited:
I wonder if they purposefully went for the most banal thing that they could think of?

So let's see your solution? I don't think banal is any kind of description. On the clunky side maybe but you've got an emulated radio-telescope and that's not banal.

I think there is a game there. Though - like most of elite - that depends if you want to play it. That would be restricitiog your search to certain planet types off either sound, hieroglyphs or spectrum frequencies (as opposed to "what it looks like in system map," old system). I don't know why 'completionist' must be deemed a good way to play a game with 400 billion star systems in it though. Good luck with that, honk and go.

But if you're serious about exploring you'll be mapping every body of interest - by type - and, in the scheme of travelling to those bodies, the FSS (especially on selected bodies) takes virtually no time at all. For me you're just too lazy to tune your FSS.

Planets in the galaxy can only be first discovered once and a discovered galaxy is a less interesting one for an explorer. For me the FSS, combined with DSS, means there will remain to be discoverable / mappable planets even in well travelled regions. Win button discover all doesn't serve the communal game well imo.

Last edited:
Compared to flying around a planet for up to 30 minutes waiting for a Mission USS to randomly spawn the FSS is heaven. I also don't mind it for exploring, it's better than flying to each planet to scan it as before. I don't have a problem with it.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

I posted a lengthy description of how the FSS works but some players will never work with it. It reminds me of being a kid when my parents met other adults for dinner and left us kids to play with each other. I was young and wouldn't understand what these adults were talking about. One kid I remember was when he lost the current game we were playing he totally lost it emotionally. Many years later as an adult I see this often on the Forum.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom