Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Please learn to talk like a human and not this mysterious gaga. I can only guess that it's the fact I'm back at all - since you already commented my post count in this thread. If that's an argument for you, I'd suggest to have a look at your own: it's meanwhile dangerously close to mine. It's also dangerously close to commenting my person instead of my posts...

I'm a human so by definition I'm talking like a human. And yes you guessed right, starting to see the irony here? At last, this was never meant to be an argument against the topic but against your (repeated) claims that you are bored and this is a waste of time, the irony comes from the fact that your own posts disproved that so there's that.

If the FSS is "pretty much a lousy mini-game for kids", how do you think the ADS could possibly be attributed? Because words fail me here. Exploration for monads perhaps?

You obviously didn't get the memo where we were told the ADS was a zero-gameplay placeholder until actual exploration gameplay was introduced.

It amazes me that many FSS supporters' main argument is so often, "The FSS is good because it has much more gameplay than the ADS". Well congratulations, you're right. The FSS has more gameplay than a zero gameplay placeholder. All you're really doing is highlighting its mediocrity.

The FSS mechanics (not the Honk itself!) might not be ideal but far closer to a scientific solution than the ADS ever was and a promising start in the right direction. If anyone would start a campaign to build a more sophisticated version of the FSS I'd certainly support this. But not this 'back to nothing' horse poo, thanks.

I see a lot of people saying they want the ADS back, alongside the FSS.

Please tell us which people are saying "back to nothing"?

Last edited:
You need SC to map, but mapping non-landable bodies provides nothing except credits. It's essentially a KWS for planets.

Therefore, you don't NEED to SC to explore.
You are talking about tags. Tags have never been exploring, they are just a means to say I was here first and get some credits for it. Nothing more, nothing less. To truly explore the system, the rings, the planets, you have to SC. That is just a simple fact.

Ignore it all you want, but it's true. You can't explore planetary surfaces when sitting still using the FSS, you can't explore space or planetary POI by sitting there using the FSS, you can't explore gas giant rings while sitting there using the FSS..

The FSS is like the ADS was in that it shows you what can be explored. It doesn't and cannot do the exploring for you no matter how much information it gives you.

As I said, to say you cant explore the system by sitting still using the FSS is just a lie. It's not true and is a load of rubbish. All you can do is discover what there is to explore.

As to scanning none landables, what the difference tot he old version. You just flew up to it, did a passive scan for a tag. Now you fly up to it, do an active scan for a tag. No difference apart from the execution.

Last edited:
You still need to SC to explore. Saying you don't is just a lie.

Rubbish. Jumping from system to system simply to discover what's in those systems is, by definition, exploring.

Explore
verb
1. travel through (an unfamiliar area) in order to learn about it.

It requires no travel to planets. Even if I learn only a single fact about a system before jumping away from it, I am, by definition, exploring.

Fundamentally, I am diametrically opposed to the idea of putting arguably needless process barriers in the way of ANY activity.

The problem with that intuitively decent sound idea is that all processes and activities are inherently needless and pointless in any game. Because games are pointless beyond inducing some measure of fun. In other words, any process of activity is either fun, or pointless. You calling an activity pointless therefor is just another way of saying you don't find it fun. Others do find it fun so to them it isn't pointless.

It doesn't mean anything.

It requires no travel to planets. Even if I learn only a single fact about a system before jumping away from it, I am, by definition, exploring.

That is comically reductionist, and by that definition you didn't need SC ever to explore in ED, because you always found out about the star from the entry point.

Rubbish. Jumping from system to system simply to discover what's in those systems is, by definition, exploring.

Explore
verb
1. travel through (an unfamiliar area) in order to learn about it.

No different to the ADS. You press a button for 5 seconds and you have explored the system.

You need to look at what you write and see how it applies to the old version as well. It's no different at the end of the day. They both give you information that allows you to explore the system more.

Hell you don't need to travel at all. Open the galaxy map and you have explored the whole galaxy if you go by that interpretation.

But as your dictionary says, you need to travel through it. You don't travel when using the FSS or ADS. To gather the information, you need to travel through it in the old way as well as the new.

You need to apply that to all version, not just choose one and ignore the other when they both apply.

Last edited:
You still need to SC to explore. Saying you don't is just a lie.

It would be really nice if you would would refrain from accusing people of lying just because you disagree with what they say.

I said very explicitly that there is now 'no need to SC in exploration and still get tags and credits unless you want to fly to the body to map it.' Just because that's not exploration according to you does not make it a lie - it's absolutely true. And you can quite comfortably and easily reach exploration Elite in this game by doing just that, which I would suggest counts as exploration in the context of the game.

It would be really nice if you would would refrain from accusing people of lying just because you disagree with what they say.

I said very explicitly that there is now 'no need to SC in exploration and still get tags and credits unless you want to fly to the body to map it.' Just because that's not exploration according to you does not make it a lie - it's absolutely true. And you can quite comfortably and easily reach exploration Elite in this game by doing just that, which I would suggest counts as exploration in the context of the game.

You could tag stars, and some gas giants and planets, and reach elite, the same way before the FSS too. It isn't an argument for or against anything. Especially when you count black hole/neutron farming, which used to be a very common method.

No different to the ADS. You press a button for 5 seconds and you have explored the system.

You need to look at what you write and see how it applies to the old version as well. It's no different at the end of the day. They both give you information that allows you to explore the system more.

Hell you don't need to travel at all. Open the galaxy map and you have explored the whole galaxy if you go by that interpretation.

But as your dictionary says, you need to travel through it. You don't travel when using the FSS or ADS. To gather the information, you need to travel through it I'm the old way as well as the new.

So you've done a 180. You now realise that using the ADS or FSS is exploring. You really need to go back to the others and apologise, since you implied they were lying by saying otherwise.

The fact is that we discover a huge amount of information as we travel from system by system using the ADS or the FSS only, and no SC is required for that to be exploration, by definition. And this type of exploration is very common, until we find a system we might want to explore more thoroughly.

Last edited:
So you've done a 180. You now realise that using the ADS or FSS is exploring.

When using your definition. Either it both is, or neither is, but the whole discussion is weak as lemon pie left in a putrid puddle (I'm trying random phrases to see which will stick).

P1:But with the FSS you don't even need to move in SC to find out stuff about the system! It doesn't matter if you find everything, if you find something than that already counts!"
P2:"You could find out stuff with the ADS too without moving."
P1:"But with the FSS you can get to elite and put your name on things without moving!"
P2:"The same was possible before the FSS."
P1:"Aha! Got you!"
P2:"Huh?"

So you've done a 180. You now realise that using the ADS or FSS is exploring. You really need to go back to the others and apologise, since you implied they were lying by saying otherwise.
Nope. You need to travel through the system to explore it. You don't explore it by looking at some numbers and figures while sitting still.

The fact is that we discover a huge amount of information as we travel from system by system using the ADS or the FSS only, and no SC is required for that to be exploration, by definition. And this type of exploration is the most common, until we find a system we might want to explore more thoroughly.
You are not moving or don't need to move when using the FSS or ADS. That is not exploring by your definition.

That is comically reductionist, and by that definition you didn't need SC ever to explore in ED, because you always found out about the star from the entry point.

You needed to extrapolate. When I point out that even a single piece of information makes it exploration, you should be able to join the dots to realise that the huge amount of information we get from the ADS or FSS makes it even more obvious that it's exploration. Sorry the comical reduction was lost on you.

Nope. You need to travel through the system to explore it. You don't explore it by looking at some numbers and figures while sitting still.

You are not moving or don't need to move when using the FSS or ADS. That is not exploring by your definition.

You need to read what I wrote... moving from system to system using the FSS or ADS is exploring. You really need to expand your thinking beyond your very small definition of what you think exploration is.

Using your definition, you must think Captain Cook is not an explorer because he didn't traverse every square mile of Australia to find all the geological POIs? :)

They they shouldn't lie then.

Yes. You should read why you wrote. You said exploration and get tags and credits. You imply that exploration and tags and credit are separate things.

Now if you just said you don't need to SC to get tags and credits, I would agree with, but that isn't what you said. Not that you had to SC to get tags and credits in the old way either. If any planet was in range all you needed to do is highlight it and move your ship to point at it and get your scan. You could do that with gas giants over 1000ls away and planets that were close. Not much difference there. So credits and tags for pointing.

I have always said that even in the old way, once the honk was done you should get discovered by tags as you have discovered every planet in the system. Then you supercruise to it and do the scan and get another scanned by tag. I would just have the first discovered by tags give very little credits and I would do the same with the FSS. Have mapping or scanned as the most important one which would still give people incentive to fly and tag in the old and new.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom