Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I literally just stated what I am looking for, you quoted it. Maybe you should instead accept that this is not a problem that is going to go away until the old modules are reinstated, and that suggesting I give up is not a productive line of reasoning.
The old modules don't necessarily need to be re-instated as was, the end-effect is the important factor - viable alternatives to the pointless Blob-hunt/Space-golf mini-games that replicate on the most part the exploration experience that was available pre-3.3 is the key point.

I can not get behind the "more interaction is inherently better" (arguably fallacious) logic that some are touting as fact.

We got the crappy fss that pretty much is a lousy mini-game for kids, but at least the galaxy was indeed seeded with countless exciting features for us to discover, and every single one feels unique and are so many that cmdrs still keep finding new stuff even today, and on top of that we can interact with them in a meaningfull way and we even are able to find and collect amazing stuff that only exist outside the bubble, and lets not forget that we had to learn how to properly outfit our ships in order to go out there unlike the old days and, and... oh wait..

Frillop Freyraum

Formerly 'picommander'
Lets have a look at the Honk for a moment. Both (goes for the FSS Honk as well) have zero gameplay value. So why not skip that part, too? Why an extra module for literally nothing at all? Why push a button at all, are you kidding me? Just enter a new system and immediately see what otherwise the ADS Honk would have revealed. Shoes the full blatant nonsense behind this mechanic (already forgotten: ED is still a GAME! in the first place rather than a simulation). I never understood why no one(?) has ever questioned the acoustic representation of the Honk (again, both in ADS and FSS) as it suggests some sort of sonar waves being used which is as unscientific trollollo as possibly imaginable.

The FSS mechanics (not the Honk itself!) might not be ideal but far closer to a scientific solution than the ADS ever was and a promising start in the right direction. If anyone would start a campaign to build a more sophisticated version of the FSS I'd certainly support this. But not this 'back to nothing' horse poo, thanks.

Frillop Freyraum

Formerly 'picommander'
We got the crappy fss that pretty much is a lousy mini-game for kids
If the FSS is "pretty much a lousy mini-game for kids", how do you think the ADS could possibly be attributed? Words fail me here. Exploration for monads perhaps? The fact why the FSS works for most of us is not at least thanks to the total mind absent groundwork the ADS built for way too long now.

And now you want this nonsense back? Makes me losing trust in humankind...

Here's a possible explanation for what's happening here. It's a psychological effect: Feed your customers with breadcrumbs just for long enough and they will celebrate a piece of dry bread like a feast. But people actually crying to get back their breadcrumbs is inexplicable.

Last edited:

Frillop Freyraum

Formerly 'picommander'
C'mon Pi, you should know it, it's about you!
Please learn to talk like a human and not this mysterious gaga. I can only guess that it's the fact I'm back at all - since you already commented my post count in this thread. If that's an argument for you, I'd suggest to have a look at your own: it's meanwhile dangerously close to mine. It's also dangerously close to commenting my person instead of my posts...

Please learn to talk like a human and not this mysterious gaga. I can only guess that it's the fact I'm back at all - since you already commented my post count in this thread. If that's an argument for you, I'd suggest to have a look at your own: it's meanwhile dangerously close to mine. It's also dangerously close to commenting my person instead of my posts...
I'm a human so by definition I'm talking like a human. And yes you guessed right, starting to see the irony here? At last, this was never meant to be an argument against the topic but against your (repeated) claims that you are bored and this is a waste of time, the irony comes from the fact that your own posts disproved that so there's that.

If the FSS is "pretty much a lousy mini-game for kids", how do you think the ADS could possibly be attributed? Because words fail me here. Exploration for monads perhaps?
You obviously didn't get the memo where we were told the ADS was a zero-gameplay placeholder until actual exploration gameplay was introduced.

It amazes me that many FSS supporters' main argument is so often, "The FSS is good because it has much more gameplay than the ADS". Well congratulations, you're right. The FSS has more gameplay than a zero gameplay placeholder. All you're really doing is highlighting its mediocrity.

The FSS mechanics (not the Honk itself!) might not be ideal but far closer to a scientific solution than the ADS ever was and a promising start in the right direction. If anyone would start a campaign to build a more sophisticated version of the FSS I'd certainly support this. But not this 'back to nothing' horse poo, thanks.
I see a lot of people saying they want the ADS back, alongside the FSS.

Please tell us which people are saying "back to nothing"?

Last edited:

Frillop Freyraum

Formerly 'picommander'
I'm a human so by definition I'm talking like a human. And yes you guessed right, starting to see the irony here? At last, this was never meant to be an argument against the topic but against your (repeated) claims that you are bored and this is a waste of time, the irony comes from the fact that your own posted disproved that so there's that.
Your name is your bond, eh? You can try to 'rulez' your poodle, might be more satisfactory. :p

Last edited:
You need SC to map, but mapping non-landable bodies provides nothing except credits. It's essentially a KWS for planets.

Therefore, you don't NEED to SC to explore.
You are talking about tags. Tags have never been exploring, they are just a means to say I was here first and get some credits for it. Nothing more, nothing less. To truly explore the system, the rings, the planets, you have to SC. That is just a simple fact.

Ignore it all you want, but it's true. You can't explore planetary surfaces when sitting still using the FSS, you can't explore space or planetary POI by sitting there using the FSS, you can't explore gas giant rings while sitting there using the FSS..

The FSS is like the ADS was in that it shows you what can be explored. It doesn't and cannot do the exploring for you no matter how much information it gives you.

As I said, to say you cant explore the system by sitting still using the FSS is just a lie. It's not true and is a load of rubbish. All you can do is discover what there is to explore.

As to scanning none landables, what the difference tot he old version. You just flew up to it, did a passive scan for a tag. Now you fly up to it, do an active scan for a tag. No difference apart from the execution.

Last edited:
You still need to SC to explore. Saying you don't is just a lie.
Rubbish. Jumping from system to system simply to discover what's in those systems is, by definition, exploring.

Explore
verb
1. travel through (an unfamiliar area) in order to learn about it.

It requires no travel to planets. Even if I learn only a single fact about a system before jumping away from it, I am, by definition, exploring.

Fundamentally, I am diametrically opposed to the idea of putting arguably needless process barriers in the way of ANY activity.
The problem with that intuitively decent sound idea is that all processes and activities are inherently needless and pointless in any game. Because games are pointless beyond inducing some measure of fun. In other words, any process of activity is either fun, or pointless. You calling an activity pointless therefor is just another way of saying you don't find it fun. Others do find it fun so to them it isn't pointless.

It doesn't mean anything.

It requires no travel to planets. Even if I learn only a single fact about a system before jumping away from it, I am, by definition, exploring.
That is comically reductionist, and by that definition you didn't need SC ever to explore in ED, because you always found out about the star from the entry point.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom