Custom keybinds not saving

I recently picked up a joystick to use with Elite, and I copied my old keyboard custom.bind file to my desktop just in case. However, now whenever I try to edit my control scheme in any way, it resets to that old custom binding whenever I open the game, or the controls menu. Even using other built-in presets does not save, and I would have to reselect them every time I open the game or the controls menu. Strangely, the keybinds I apply do seem to work once I actually start playing the game. They are simply not saved anywhere, meaning I need to rebind each key that differs from the nearest preset.

I've tried removing the old .bind file completely. I've tried editing the PresetName value, like some old forum posts suggested. No .bind file is created when I apply my settings, nor is there any file for the other built-in bindings.

Hopefully I just did something wrong when I tried to remove the old keybinding. Any help is appreciated.

SOLVED
I was changing the .bind file under %appdata%, but within the %localappdata% directory, there were two files with the PresetName value of Custom, so the game was probably updating the newer Custom binding, but reading from the old one.

Last edited:
Failure of saving the changes you make is usually down to having copies in the same directory. You say you removed files so maybe not relevant.

So are you looking in the correct diretory i.e.

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

You can delete the .binds files in there if you like. Start the game, go to Options / Controls - select one of the presets - change a control - click apply - exit - look in your directory is there now a "Custom.3.0.binds" file? If not then you have an issue, if yes you are good to go - start up again - check custom is pre-selected - make the rest of your changes - click apply then exit. You can now go and change the names as per multiple threads we have detailed this in. Make copies and save them in different directory.

Let us know how you get on... Good luck 🕹

Failure of saving the changes you make is usually down to having copies in the same directory. You say you removed files so maybe not relevant.

So are you looking in the correct diretory i.e.

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

You can delete the .binds files in there if you like. Start the game, go to Options / Controls - select one of the presets - change a control - click apply - exit - look in your directory is there now a "Custom.3.0.binds" file? If not then you have an issue, if yes you are good to go - start up again - check custom is pre-selected - make the rest of your changes - click apply then exit. You can now go and change the names as per multiple threads we have detailed this in. Make copies and save them in different directory.

Let us know how you get on... Good luck 🕹

I was going out of the %appdata% directory not %localappdata%. Thanks!

I recently picked up a joystick to use with Elite, and I copied my old keyboard custom.bind file to my desktop just in case. However, now whenever I try to edit my control scheme in any way, it resets to that old custom binding whenever I open the game, or the controls menu. Even using other built-in presets does not save, and I would have to reselect them every time I open the game or the controls menu. Strangely, the keybinds I apply do seem to work once I actually start playing the game. They are simply not saved anywhere, meaning I need to rebind each key that differs from the nearest preset.

I've tried removing the old .bind file completely. I've tried editing the PresetName value, like some old forum posts suggested. No .bind file is created when I apply my settings, nor is there any file for the other built-in bindings.

Hopefully I just did something wrong when I tried to remove the old keybinding. Any help is appreciated.
does it say custom or are the binds actual different.
When you enter the game after choosing any binding, the next time you go in to it, it will be labled custom. Don't change anything but the bindings you want.

does it say custom or are the binds actual different.
When you enter the game after choosing any binding, the next time you go in to it, it will be labled custom. Don't change anything but the bindings you want.

The issue was that the custom binding wasn't updating with anything I changed. There were two copies of the .bind file in my 'bindings' folder, both of which had the PresetName value of 'custom', so the game was updating the newer .bind, but reading from the older one. Or, at least, that is what I assume was happening.

The issue was that the custom binding wasn't updating with anything I changed. There were two copies of the .bind file in my 'bindings' folder, both of which had the PresetName value of 'custom', so the game was updating the newer .bind, but reading from the older one. Or, at least, that is what I assume was happening.

I think it is a good idea to rename your custom binds to something other than custom. If you do that you will need to change the preset name to the same as the binds file.
STRONTIUM DOG has written a guide.

I think it is a good idea to rename your custom binds to something other than custom. If you do that you will need to change the preset name to the same as the binds file.
STRONTIUM DOG has written a guide.

I already changed the name of the old keyboard binding. My current binding is fine as 'custom' for now.

Failure of saving the changes you make is usually down to having copies in the same directory
Thanks, this was my exact problem! I made a backup of the .binds file for safety, but kept the backup in the same dir. But then none of my settings changes were saving after I hit Apply. After I moved the backup somewhere else (out of that dir), then my changes would apply once again. Thanks.

Top Bottom