Powerplay Cycle 28 Commentary

Raw Data Here

I'll link Martin Schou's Analysis when its complete.

Cycle 27
Cycle 26
Cycle 25
Cycle 24
Cycle 23
Cycle 22

Raw data has now been released.

Horizons Launched, but Power Play did continue this week.

Total Merits

iX9vNRW.png

Hudson and ALD both had expansions this cycle, so they dominate the total merits again.

Aisling takes the 3rd place as usual, but Archon Delaine had a big week, and moves into the 4th position, for the first time, and with a large margin over 5th.

Winters, Mahon and Sirius all had similar number of total merits, and Patreus and Antal take out the last 2 positions, but they both had no expansions to earn merits at.

Effective Merits

vhDEyFH.png

The Effective merits chart this week tell a different story to the Total merits chart.

Aisling, once again, did the most effective merits.

Hudson take position 2, ALD in 3rd, and Winters takes position 4, due in part to winning all their expansions.

The next 5 positions are all very close, and Antal takes the last position.

Opposition Merits

gWO5qQE.png

Hudson takes out the most opposed, with Delaine in second position.
Mahon and Winters take out the other top 4 spots as usual.

Patreus, ALD and Sirius had a moderate amount of opposition.

Torval, Antal and Ailing received basically no undermining.

X6CXw4s.png

Archon Delaine was the only power who lost an expansion not due to Turmoil, so takes out the most opposed after a few weeks away from the most opposed position.

Hudson got the most amount of effective undermining, followed closely by Delaine, Patreus and Winters.

Aisling had 0 systems undermined.

Weekly Charts
KvnkIzZ.png

Total Fortification was down by 11%, perhaps due to Horizons, with Aisling, Hudson and Delaine being the only powers to increase their fortification over the previous week.

EBrQ3i8.png

Undermining was down by 23%, with Hudson, Delaine, Patreus and Antal seeing increased levels of undermining.

Speculation and Commentary

Cycle 28 was Weaponized Expansion Week.
ALD had 2 systems expanding inside the Federation.
Hudson, Winters and Delaine all had 1 system each expanding inside ALD territory.

ALD and Hudson went into Turmoil, so their expansions didn't matter in the end, but here are the numbers from all 5 of them:

ALD: Gitse 314480 vs 102770, Mbutsi 17937 vs 19090

Hudson: HIP 44811 477711 vs 336040 (the trigger was against Hudson so he failed)

Winters: Shenggan 56260 vs 83370 (the trigger was good for Winters so she won)

Delaine: LTT 874 206643 vs 180910 (the trigger was against Delaine so he lost)

Mahon 89%

Mahon retained 1st position after winning one expansion, and having his only 2 real rivals, ALD and Hudson, both go into Turmoil.
Undermining on Mahon was down to 60% of what he experienced last week.

There are more profitable areas that have been made available from the Sirius Turmoil, and these will probably be considered for preparation this week.

He was able to secure 2 more profitable preparations last week, and should retain the number 1 position should they both fail.

Hudson 70%

Hudson stayed in the 2nd position, even though he fell into Turmoil.

The second battle for HIP 44811 happened, which I though he would win.
Less merits were put into the fight the second time around, probably because both ALD and Hudson had expansions, which took away some of their players.

Profitable systems are in Turmoil at the moment, and with a score very close to Winters and ALD, Hudson may move down to 4th if he loses some of them.
If he can fortify out of Turmoil, it would be difficult to see how he could be ranked number 1, but he should retain the number 2 position.

Hudson has listed ALD as his target for this week.

Winters 68%

Winters moves back into the top 3 by securing 2 expansions, and having ALD fall into Turmoil.
One of the expansions won was the aggressive weaponized expansion into Imperial held territory, which had a larger chance of success because of the other 2 expansions ALD had to fight off.

This system will face large amounts of undermining, which may reduce the total effective undermining Winters receives each week.

If Winters wins her expansion this week, it probably wont be enough to move into 2nd position, unless Hudson loses systems to Turmoil.

ALD 67%

ALD moved down 1 position due to falling into Turmoil.
This caused her 2 expansions inside Federation territory to fail, even though she easily won them.

No-one publicly targeted ALD and the majority of undermining was probably by Sirius players, who were previously pledged to ALD.

The goal was probably to make ALD go into Turmoil to fail all her expansions, which were collectively loss making, and enable some bad systems to be lost.

ALD successfully fought off both the Hudson expansion in her territory, and the Delaine expansion right next to Achenar, but was unable to also defeat the Winters expansion.

The 3 systems that are in Turmoil are not loss making, so Sirius players made a mess of the plan or one of the other powers must have become involved, perhaps its the mysterious Power who secretly undermines Mahon each week?

Hudson is publicly attacking ALD, and Winters will probably join in, so high levels of undermining will be expected.

If ALD stays in Turmoil she may move down to 5th, but its difficult to see her dropping into the bottom 5.
If she fortified out of Turmoil, and Hudson remains in Turmoil she should move back up to 2nd position.

Aisling 59%

Aisling was able to fortify out of Turmoil, and keep her profitable system that might have been lost.

She still has the worst starting CC balance of any Power, so large amounts of fortifying will be needed as usual.

At the moment she is preparing a system that just became available from Patreus, and it is unclear if this will have repercussion from Patreus or the Kumo Crew.

Last cycle she had 0 systems undermined, and no Powers has publicly listed her as an undermining target yet.

Should Aisling avoid Turmoil, she could move past ALD into 4th position, if she goes into Turmoil she could move under Sirius and Torval.

Sirius 47%

Sirius lost 2 more profitable systems to Turmoil, but was able to fortify enough to keep the 3rd system, and is now out of Turmoil.
His CC economy has been hurt by the 5 systems recently lost, and now starts the week with a surplus of only 3cc, making him easier to push into Turmoil.

With 55 current systems, the loss of one more will slash his overhead costs, meaning things will improve no matter what system may be lost yet.

He has 202cc available, so one of his lost systems can be prepared this week, but he will probably be in a prep war to win it back, because there are very few profitable systems left.

Unless Turmoil hits Sirius he will be safe from the bottom 3 positions, but with the loss of 5 systems its difficult for him to be back in the top 5 unless Aisling moves down.

Torval 47%

Torval received more undermining than Aisling and Antal, but most of it was waste.

With a starting cc balance of -112 and 53 systems, her next expansion will be unprofitable, no matter what is selected, and another controlled Turmoil would be beneficial to lose more unprofitable systems.

She has 233cc to spend on preparations this week, but it is unclear if her players will try to move into newly freed up space form Patreus or Sirius.

No-one is again publicly targeting Torval, and she will be safe from the bottom 3 positions unless she falls into Turmoil.

Delaine 41%

Although the expansion at LTT 874, next to Achenar, was unsuccessful, Patreus was kept in Turmoil. This freed up room on his border for the Kumo Crew to push into.

At this stage, Aisling is preparing to move into former Patreus systems, but it is unclear what response this will cause from the Kumo Crew. The Kumo Crew, who has worked hard to push Patreus back, has yet to publicly declare an undermining target.

Delaine also suffered an increase in undermining, most likely in response to their aggressive expansion attempt.

The Kumo Crew has two good expansions this week, but Antal has more. Thus, it is possible that Delaine will move to 9th or 10th position at the end of the week. This, of course, depends on what happens to Patreus and Antal.

Antal 32%

Antal had no expansions to fight for last week, but moved above Patreus who is still in Turmoil.
With 7 expansions this week, his players will be busy, and with enough CC to prepare 4 more, he may soon have more systems than Patreus.

Some of Antals more profitable expansions may be opposed, and it is unclear at this stage which ones will be focused upon by his players.

If he wins most of his expansions he could move in front of Delaine, but its difficult to see how he would move past Torval and Sirius this week.

Patreus 30%

Patreus lost the system of Contiku and has another profitable system in Turmoil this week.

The Kumo Crew failed to expand into Kenna, which was an area Patreus lost, but Antal is currently expanding into Dheneb, another ex-Patreus area, which will probably be heavily opposed by his players.

He still can't prepare any systems, so can only watch on as Delaine or Aisling take the profitable area around Contiku.

Tuareg is the profitable system in Turmoil this week, which is just as close to ALD, Torval and Aisling.
If this system is lost, its highly likely one of the other Imperial Powers will be able to take the system.

Should Patreus fortify out of Turmoil, he may move back up to 8th, but he will be 10th again if he loses another system.

Last edited:
I hadn't noticed that the raw data dropped - didn't see that Zac updated the post.

I'll get on my analysis, once I've had some dinner.

I don't know where you came up with the idea that Sirius is who undermined ALD... What's your basis for this?

ALD players who are pledged to Sirius.

I can hardly call them ALD players, but they aren't really Sirius players.

As for who undermined the profitable systems at the end, I don't know, but I doubt it was one of the 3 Imperial factions.

ALD players who are pledged to Sirius.

I can hardly call them ALD players, but they aren't really Sirius players.

As for who undermined the profitable systems at the end, I don't know, but I doubt it was one of the 3 Imperial factions.

I think you should avoid specifying who you "think" is undermining who unless someone claims responsibility.

Edit: What ALD players pledged to Sirius? There's only one who I was ever aware of, and that's Imperius, and he's been on hiatus for several weeks.

Last edited:
I think you should avoid specifying who you "think" is undermining who unless someone claims responsibility.

That entire section is my speculation.
It's complete conjecture from me, I have no hard evidence to back up anything I state in that section.

All undermining is unknown, but I am aware of the undermining I personally did, and the players who winged with me, and its was the majority of what happened to Patreus.
I don't know who did the rest, but Hudson and Winters listed his systems to be undermined, and they were, so it looks to me like they also undermined Patreus.

ALDs systems that were undermined were the loss making ones, it looked like a massive SCRAP request, and with the ALD "foreign legion" saying they were defecting to Sirius to do exactly that, I think its safe to say Sirius players did most of the undermining on ALD.

It certainly wasn't Hudson or Winters, they aren't shy to state when they undermine ALD (Like this current week) and they undermine in what I would call a sensible fashion, going for high income systems, not systems that would help ALD.

I know it wasn't Delaine players organizing it, and its difficult to think it was an Imperial Power.

If it isn't Sirius players, there aren't many suspects left, just Antal and Mahon.

Last edited:
Well, you got to deny it first, so I guess we will have Galnet news incoming about the Council of Admirals attacking ALD now. :eek:

I'd like to think the Council of Admirals are the ones directing the undermining on the Alliance, I haven't heard anyone from Mahon deny they are undermining themselves.

I'd like to think the Council of Admirals are the ones directing the undermining on the Alliance, I haven't heard anyone from Mahon deny they are undermining themselves.

Now why would you have to go and tell everyone our secret which I'd have to hunt you down and silence you for? :(

Has that bug where combat powers fortify their turmoiled systems by undermining them fixed yet by the way?

Its is complete conjecture from me, I have no hard evidence to back up anything I state in that section.

All undermining is unknown, but I am aware of the undermining I personally did, and the players who winged with me, and its was the majority of what happened to Patreus.
I don't know who did the rest, but Hudson and Winters listed his systems to be undermined, and they were, so it looks to me like they also undermined Patreus.

ALDs systems that were undermined were the loss making ones, it looked like a massive SCRAP request, and with the ALD "foreign legion" saying they were defecting to Sirius to do exactly that, I think its safe to say Sirius players did most of the undermining on ALD.

It certainly wasn't Hudson or Winters, they aren't shy to state when they undermine ALD (Like this current week) and they undermine in what I would call a sensible fashion, going for high income systems, not systems that would help ALD.

I know it wasn't Delaine players organizing it, and its difficult to think it was an Imperial Power.

If it isn't Sirius players, there aren't many suspects left, just Antal and Mahon.

So because you can't come up with a better explanation than "scrap request from Sirius", that's the conclusion you jump to?

Its is complete conjecture from me, I have no hard evidence to back up anything I state in that section.

Seems about right to me.

It was interesting to see people comment about the idea of creating a 'Foreign Legion' within the Empire on both the AD and ALD SubReddits a few weeks ago. Its more interesting to see how that may have turned out, if that is what happened.

I'm with you though, Fergal, looks to me like ALD has been Undermining themselves with players formerly pledged, and then got Sniped by someone else at the end. We (Winters) actually wanted them to finish out of Turmoil so they could get those wonderful expansions near Kamadhenu. Winter could've absorbed the CC loss from Mbutsi and Gitse, a small sacrifice to let the Emperor have those loss making grinder Preps.

Last edited:
Seems about right to me.

It was interesting to see people comment about the idea of creating a 'Foreign Legion' within the Empire on both the AD and ALD SubReddits a few weeks ago. Its more interesting to see how that may have turned out, if that is what happened.

I'm with you though, Fergal, looks to me like ALD has been Undermining themselves with players formerly pledged, and then got Sniped by someone else at the end. We (Winters) actually wanted them to finish out of Turmoil so they could get those wonderful expansions near Kamadhenu. Winter could've absorbed the CC loss from Mbutsi and Gitse, a small sacrifice to let the Emperor have those loss making grinder Preps.

It's amusing to me to read your speculation.

It's amusing to me to read your speculation.

Haha okay? Glad your amused.

You guys have any idea of who hit you then? Sounds like you know about what happened already, you could add something to the conversation rather than stating that obvious speculation is speculation.

Haha okay? Glad your amused.

You guys have any idea of who hit you then? Sounds like you know about what happened already, you could add something to the conversation rather than stating that obvious speculation is speculation.

Maybe if you would like to explain why Winters undermined between 4-5 of Hudson's profitable systems...

Maybe if you would like to explain why Winters undermined between 4-5 of Hudson's profitable systems...

That's a bold claim if I've ever seen one.

Anyway, wasn't this week's turmoil for Hudson planned? Sounds about right they'd collaborate with Winters for that. And they do want to lose Partha according to their goals for this week.

That's a bold claim if I've ever seen one.

Anyway, wasn't this week's turmoil for Hudson planned? Sounds about right they'd collaborate with Winters for that. And they do want to lose Partha according to their goals for this week.

A bold claim supported by strong evidence.

Also, the systems that went into turmoil are all profitable. I find it hard to believe that Hudson would wish to shed 3 systems which are all profitable. If they are scrapping themselves, why not start with the deficit systems?

Last edited:
Top Bottom