DB interview in Variety.com from E3

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Bare-faced cheek of the man claiming that 'our expansions have been free' ; did I imagine them charging for horizons then?

And related to this do LEP owners now get a refund as apparently they were charged for something that is free according to David?

Last edited:
Bare-faced cheek of the man claiming that 'our expansions have been free' ; did I imagine them charging for horizons then?

And related to this do LEP owners now get a refund as apparently they were charged for something that is free according to David?

It might be in the context of last year, or just stating a fact that there's lot of free updates for ED (there are). It is very easy to lose something in "translation" when interviewing someone.

It might be in the context of last year, or just stating a fact that there's lot of free updates for ED (there are). It is very easy to lose something in "translation" when interviewing someone.

The full sentance would seem to suggest that nothing has been 'lost' he is claiming they are free and that it was always designed that way as a multiplayer game :

"Our expansions have been free, and the things you pay for are just vanity items, which in a multiplayer game just makes sense."

Last edited:
Not really that surprised by how little he knows of the charging regime for ED, but I am hugely dissapointed that LEP owners have been thrown under the bus and forgotten it seems.

Edit: does this mean there will be no paid DLC this year, despite previous claims? The mixed messages are mixed.:S

Last edited:
The full sentance would seem to suggest that nothing has been 'lost' he is claiming they are free and that it was always designed that way as a multiplayer game :

"Our expansions have been free, and the things you pay for are just vanity items, which in a multiplayer game just makes sense."

And previous sentence ends with "...we’ve added new content to the game continuously since it shipped." He definitely means that there have been free updates. I would not translate one sentence in some interview into some new unknown FD policy if I were you.

Not really that surprised by how little he knows of the charging regime for ED, but I am hugely dissapointed that LEP owners have been thrown under the bus and forgotten it seems.

I would like to have some actual references on both of these claims :)

I know some folk will defend anything DB says, but he clearly claimed the expansions were free, there is no amibiguity in that statement.

Edit full paragraph added so context is clear:

"
I think we were the first open-world space game, there were no other open-world space games when we commissioned the game and went to kickstarter. Being first was good, we have a very loyal following, we’ve added new content to the game continuously since it shipped. Our expansions have been free, and the things you pay for are just vanity items, which in a multiplayer game just makes sense. I think that’s worked well, and it’s that loyal fanbase, and the fact that there’s lots of things in the game for people to discover. We had aliens in the game and we didn’t announce them, we just let people discover them, and there was a lot of buzz around that."

Last edited:
I'm not defending the erroneous "free" statement. I mean I bought in at premium beta and then Horizons, so approx. £140 in total.

Isn't that just astonishingly good value for money? 6 weeks in-game for £140 quid. £140 will barely give you a night out in London...

So rather than focusing on the money issue, why not celebrate the fact that a (relatively) small independent Cambridge-based games studio is having some good success against the big boys.

I know some folk will defend anything DB says, but he clearly claimed the expansions were free, there is no amibiguity in that statement.

Edit full paragraph added so context is clear:

"
I think we were the first open-world space game, there were no other open-world space games when we commissioned the game and went to kickstarter. Being first was good, we have a very loyal following, we’ve added new content to the game continuously since it shipped. Our expansions have been free, and the things you pay for are just vanity items, which in a multiplayer game just makes sense. I think that’s worked well, and it’s that loyal fanbase, and the fact that there’s lots of things in the game for people to discover. We had aliens in the game and we didn’t announce them, we just let people discover them, and there was a lot of buzz around that."

Those who don't own Horizons have seen lots of free expansions. Should be about ten major updates and they didn't need to pay anything for it.

So can those who don't own horizons now download it as a free product? Mr Braben says its fine. And again does this mean no new paid DLC at the end of the year? The communication is confusing and contradictory.

So can those who don't own horizons now download it as a free product? Mr Braben says its fine. And again does this mean no new paid DLC at the end of the year? The communication is confusing and contradictory.
I think it was just a careless choice of words - maybe confusion with Beyond, maybe because the original Horizons launch was sooooo long ago now - but yeah as the head of FD it was dumb thing to say in an interview. Not the end of the world though.

BTW Does anyone have a source for the "paid DLC at the end of the year"? I've seen it mentioned a few times in different threads, but not seen anything from FD about it - it's all just been the Beyond stuff.

I think it was just a careless choice of words - maybe confusion with Beyond, maybe because the original Horizons launch was sooooo long ago now - but yeah as the head of FD it was dumb thing to say in an interview. Not the end of the world though.

BTW Does anyone have a source for the "paid DLC at the end of the year"? I've seen it mentioned a few times in different threads, but not seen anything from FD about it - it's all just been the Beyond stuff.

It was first mentioned by Zac, after it has been multiple times confirmed by Ed. However, what it exactly means and how big premium content will be remains to be seen - I am guessing some new ship specially for LTP owners as way to say "we haven't forgotten about you". I really doubt there's hidden DLC in production, because Q4 feels big enough to keep whole ED team busy.

My guess is we will know soon enough about two things - how second part of year regarding releases will look like, what form of premium content it might be, and will be there Frontier Expo *or* another smaller event for ED next year reveals. Frontier Expo 2017 was revealed last year around mid June too.

Last edited:
It was first mentioned by Zac, after it has been multiple times confirmed by Ed. However, what it exactly means and how big premium content will be remains to be seen - I am guessing some new ship specially for LTP owners as way to say "we haven't forgotten about you". I really doubt there's hidden DLC in production, because Q4 feels big enough to keep whole ED team busy.

They have already said that they won't be selling ships in the store, so it won't be that.

<snip>

Zac quote:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-LEP-musings?p=6020972&viewfull=1#post6020972

Edit:
Obtained from here and also worth a look at this excellent post:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/397639-Elite-Dangerous-2018-Roadmap-Regularly-Updated

Last edited:
They have already said that they won't be selling ships in the store, so it won't be that.

Good point, that would kinda rule it out true.

Then I really don't know :) I am personally looking to Q4 release more anyway, because I like what I see regarding mining and exploring. 'Premium' and beyond Beyond stuff is still far away and that's too far to be worried.

Well, expansions 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 are free and going to be free, so yeah. So going forward he's completely right in that regard.

I guess we're seeing that FDEV consider Elite + Horizons as the Base game going forward (as we've seen with the cancellation of the Mac version).

...Edit: does this mean there will be no paid DLC this year, despite previous claims? The mixed messages are mixed.:S

Yet again I find the deafening silence from FDev on what premium content is coming this year to be both worrisome and irritating. Having been given an absolute assurance by Zac, a good number of months back, that there is such content coming, we are still completely in the dark as to any information on when, let alone what.

Well, expansions 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 are free and going to be free, so yeah. So going forward he's completely right in that regard.

I guess we're seeing that FDEV consider Elite + Horizons as the Base game going forward (as we've seen with the cancellation of the Mac version).

I expect having just one version of ED starting from Q4.

Good question is what it means for future expansions. I guess this is where they will re-invent way how expansions are added to the game (as they said they would).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom