COMPLETED CG Deliveries Requested to Commemorate Duval Family (Trade)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
A lot of people are not signing up for the CG for the explicit purpose of making it last longer so that they can reap the rewards for longer, without actually contributing to the CG.

Maybe offer the exorbitant buying prices for the requested materials only to those who have actually signed up for the CG? Or, alternatively (and perhaps better yet), make it so that even the contributions of those who haven't signed up will count towards the CG completion (it's just that if you haven't signed up, you won't get the rewards at the end). I think this would make sense.

A lot of people are not signing up for the CG for the explicit purpose of making it last longer so that they can reap the rewards for longer, without actually contributing to the CG.

Maybe offer the exorbitant buying prices for the requested materials only to those who have actually signed up for the CG? Or, alternatively (and perhaps better yet), make it so that even the contributions of those who haven't signed up will count towards the CG completion (it's just that if you haven't signed up, you won't get the rewards at the end). I think this would make sense.
The rewards are pitiful. Credits only (but these are not to be sniffed at), and a low (very low in fact) pay out. With no modules, ships or paint jobs etc there is little point in signing up. And I suspect that credits only was chosen, for whatever reason. Maybe because this was just about the last week of the long UK summer holiday combined with a public holiday?

Regardless, it has been a good opportunity for those wanting the credits to get them. I have lost a long weekend hauling gold!

Steve

Or you could you know, NOT try to prevent the players who decided to be polite to others who haven't had a chance to run the CG in time.

I believe both are viable, but may be the 1st one could be easier to implement and also better to track contributors... for the second they'd have to set the total demand directly on the station market and update it accordingly with any transaction (not considering if seller is signed or not). But I agree that the current CG design allows for some kind of cough
exploiting
cough :cool:

Or you could you know, NOT try to prevent the players who decided to be polite to others who haven't had a chance to run the CG in time.
The way it's currently set up leads to some weird potential toxicity with participating vs not participating so it's better to make it less ambiguous.

That said CGs haven't seen changes in ages and there's probably better stuff to focus on there.

XD
Compare estimated completion with time of CG
Your beiing polite is nothing more than adding just 1 additional day, because you want to milk trillions meaningless credits without any effort.
I will repeat- if someone is so poor, that he needs milk this CG with blatant cheese can ask me for few billions.

Also when I observe this whole salt toward participants I think, that any delivery should count, just not to blame not cheesers for not cheesing :)

Not quite sure I see how this could lead to "potential toxicity", at least for the current CG. Either:
a) A player hands in gold without signing up, gaining large profit while not taking away anything from other players who also want to participate. No downsides.
b) A player signs up to the CG without realising their mistake and hands in gold. They make the same profit as player a, but progress the CG towards completion potentially preventing others from participating. Downsides, but forgivable given that many players won't have thought through a.
c) A player decides to maliciously sign up to the CG in order to make it finish earlier and prevent other players from participating. Kind of a d**k move, but since participating is the goal of the CGs there isn't really a problem with this.

The only toxic behaviour I see is from gankers, and that's nothing out of the ordinary.

Your beiing polite is nothing more than adding just 1 additional day, because you want to milk trillions meaningless credits without any effort.
No, I'm allowing OTHER PLAYERS who have had a busy week an extra day to get in on this. Once you have a FC extra credits are pretty meaningless, so there is no real opportunity for anyone to be selfish here.

The main issue I have with this CG(boring and - almost - entirely pointless money farming aside) is that it has sent the servers haywire because people have gone nuts milking the cash cow for their short-lived dopamine rewards*. Then they’ll probably disappear again until the next one comes along.

*Ignoring those that used it to get their fleet carrier money in… one or two days. I guess trade Elite too. But exobio scans need to be pointed at with a finger while I just got the money from it doing what I was interested in - exploring. Suppose the payouts are still a bit on the high side for that too, but not nearly as much as this ridiculous nonsense.

I don't really understand this "preventing others from participating" narrative.

Participating in a game event is not "preventing others from participating". It's like you are trying to shame people who actually engage in in-game mechanics and events as intended.

The main issue I have with this CG(boring and - almost - entirely pointless money farming aside) is that it has sent the servers haywire because people have gone nuts milking the cash cow for their short-lived dopamine rewards*. Then they’ll probably disappear again until the next one comes along.

The most common discussion in the system chat is "o7... didn't play since ages... but I came back for the money..." 🤷‍♂️

But exobio scans need to be pointed at with a finger while I just got the money from it doing what I was interested in - exploring. Suppose the payouts are still a bit on the high side for that too, but not nearly as much as this ridiculous nonsense.
I have to fully agree that when the payouts for a CG make exobiology payouts seem reasonable in comparison, it's kinda game-breaking beyond belief.

This CG is a bit ridiculous. People are literally making tens of billions of credits in just a couple of days. They are making so much money that they are getting bored of the CG because of it. (This is quite directly from the system chat).

I don't really understand this "preventing others from participating" narrative.

Participating in a game event is not "preventing others from participating". It's like you are trying to shame people who actually engage in in-game mechanics and events as intended.
Have you never been busy with work/uni/life and not had much time to play games? Do I really need to explain what it's like for people in that situation? Ok, here goes...

Some people can only afford to play for a couple of hours in an entire week, and some of those people will sit down to play some Elite Dangerous on Wednesday evening, only to find that there has been a community goal running for the past week that they could have used to earn the last of the credits they needed to afford that fleet carrier they have been working towards for the past 6 months, but unfortunately it finished early a few hours before they logged in because too many other players already participated that week.

No one is shaming you, and feel free to participate in the CG, but for the sake of... let's call him Fred... for the sake of Fred, don't actually sign up for the CG - you will still get all the rewards (since there are no actual rewards for signing up, just credits for trading), but this way you aren't preventing Fred from being able to participate in the few hours he can spend in the game on Wednesday.

This is being polite in the same way that it is polite in other CGs that do have good rewards to use any alt accounts you own to deliver a single item to the CG, thereby increasing the number of people who meet the top 75% threshold to get the rewards.

Not quite sure I see how this could lead to "potential toxicity", at least for the current CG. Either:
a) A player hands in gold without signing up, gaining large profit while not taking away anything from other players who also want to participate. No downsides.
b) A player signs up to the CG without realising their mistake and hands in gold. They make the same profit as player a, but progress the CG towards completion potentially preventing others from participating. Downsides, but forgivable given that many players won't have thought through a.
c) A player decides to maliciously sign up to the CG in order to make it finish earlier and prevent other players from participating. Kind of a d**k move, but since participating is the goal of the CGs there isn't really a problem with this.
There's one correct way to play and if you deviate from it you're either a fool or outright malicious? Wanting the CG to complete for roleplay reasons is not a valid option d?

It does affect other players and the potential toxicity arises from calling out players who participate in the CG and essentially telling them to play a certain way.

Either way the CG might not finish early, but it's not entirely because of altruistic commanders who didn't sign up for the CG, but random downtime, patch downtime, carrier jump delays and generally lower player counts.

Either way the CG might not finish early, but it's not entirely because of altruistic commanders who didn't sign up for the CG
Reading the system chat in Laedla, I get the impression that only some players are doing it for (at least seemingly) "altruistic" reasons to help others to get their hands on the pot. Others seem to be doing it (ie. deliberately not signing up) for purely selfish reasons, ie. delay the finishing of the CG so that they have more time to collect more credits.

I'm not saying there's something utterly wrong or immoral about that, even if it's done for purely selfish reasons. It just feels... a bit game-breaking in a sense. That's why I suggested that eg. the contributions of even those who aren't signed up would count towards the end goal.

My understanding and opinion is that for role playing and in-universe purposes the CG was already considered successful once it reached tier 1 - that's generally the case in CGs unless they state that there will be additional benefits to the in-game universe if further tiers are reached, otherwise the remaining tiers are provided soley to allow other people to participate, not so much for further role playing (but I accept that your head canon may differ on that understanding).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom