Details in Elite Dangerous

OK here is my special one, You have to be really fast:

Volume up, press FSD charging. Turn on debug camera and quickly point it to Your ships tail.
After the message 3, 2, 1 - change diapers and curse the one who told to turn volume up.

THAT sound...

Edit: there will be one powerfull extra sound before the jump (dont know how to describe it, "ship siren", "the horn of doom"...)

Last edited:
Ship's cockpits in Virtual Realilty. You can't imagine how many hidden details and surprises you would find beyond the 180° 2D camera FOV of regular game.

By eg did you know about the Vulture's backseat?

2485CCA92383A48B685314FC2E77792BF7485896

did you know about the Vulture's backseat?
:eek:

if you have turned off "Reduce Camera Shake" in the Settings, the ships come alive and all feel extremely different
Do you mean turned on or turned off?
I enable "Reduce Camera Shake" because although I like the idea of camera shake for added realism, it's horrible at the moment - the way it's modelled is just completely wrong and so distracting it actually gets in the way of gameply. I put up a thread about it but it has dropped off the radar, sadly.

The black smoky effect behind HUD notifications was mind blowing when I first noticed it.

The game gets better with every iteration and that's why I'm still here after thousands of hours played.

Oooh I've just thought of one that I really like, especially noticeable in my Python cockpit in VR. When you look to the side and the HUD panels pop up, they cast a really nice glow down onto the surface underneath, potentially lighting it up if the ambient lighting is just right. I don't know exactly how the ED cockpit HUD is supposed to work so I'm not sure if it really ought to be doing that ... but I do like it.

Oh, and speaking of HUD (and someone may have already mentioned this) but obviously, when the canopy breaks and you can only see the HUD on the remaining bits of glass, that's a fabulous little detail.

Edit: hmm - I guess I just answered my own question about how the HUD works, it's being projected onto the canopy, so it probably shouldn't cast a glow underneath where it "appears" to be ... bah, I still like it.

Edit 2: doh! but not the side panels (as pointed out in the next post)

Last edited:
Oooh I've just thought of one that I really like, especially noticeable in my Python cockpit in VR. When you look to the side and the HUD panels pop up, they cast a really nice glow down onto the surface underneath, potentially lighting it up if the ambient lighting is just right. I don't know exactly how the ED cockpit HUD is supposed to work so I'm not sure if it really ought to be doing that ... but I do like it.

Oh, and speaking of HUD (and someone may have already mentioned this) but obviously, when the canopy breaks and you can only see the HUD on the remaining bits of glass, that's a fabulous little detail.

Edit: hmm - I guess I just answered my own question about how the HUD works, it's being projected onto the canopy, so it probably shouldn't cast a glow underneath where it "appears" to be ... bah, I still like it.

But have you ever noticed the glow remains for a fraction of a second after the panel recedes?

I don't think the side panels are on the canopy (The HUD is), you can look around them in VR.

Last edited:
My awesome moments with Elite:
1) Outgassing (on planets in deep crevices or craters, the solar wind is not able to strip all the gasses coming from the planet away, meaning it creates a sort of thin atmosphere of different gasses and dust). Light refraction in there is also absolutely amazing.
2) Zoom in on different planet types while in system map (need to have game music on, and preferably at MAX) - you can tell the planet type by its sound. The sounds are also incredibly "emotional", I would say. For example my favourite is the Earth-Like-World music... while looking at an ELW you can see it has flora and probably fauna... but the very subtle bird and insect noises in that music... just feel so empowering and makes you realize that every one of those planets is exactly like our very own Earth - filled with life to the brim. I can only hope one day we can explore it.
3) Canopy freezing over when the ship is running cold. Makes you feel the cold of space.
4) Over-G your pilot: while the G forces experienced by our commanders exceeds realistic surviveable g loads by a huge margin, it's a game and I don't expect it to be 100% realistic. But when you for example pull up or pull down in glide mode, your commander can actually get a complete reddout or a complete blackout, you as the player can still see somewhat, but your commander actually can lose control of the ship for a period of time (I think the maximum length of a blackout I have been able to get was nearly 5 seconds).
5) Forming of the "supercruise bubble" or moving through hyperspace - I believe the blue tones are not only for the effect of being cool. Blue tones (violet tones even more-so) are the most energetic wavelengths of light that we can see - it conveys the sheer amount of energy required to create a supercruise warp bubble or enter a jump. (As a side note, when getting hyperdicted by an unknown ship, those blue tones actually turn yellow-green, which is a lower energy wavelength of light, meaning that perhasp the way to hyperdict is actually to simply steal energy from the hyperspace conduit).
6) The gravitational lensing created by black holes, neutron stars and white dwarves. The effect is stunning and quite close to realism. The only sad part is that the event horizon does not exist for black holes, surely that will change one day, though...

Ship's cockpits in Virtual Realilty. You can't imagine how many hidden details and surprises you would find beyond the 180° 2D camera FOV of regular game.

By eg did you know about the Vulture's backseat?

The 2nd seat in the Vulture was one of the first things known about the ship as it was shown as a teaser just before it was released.
Don't know why so many people forgot about it lol

Would love to experience VR in the Vulture cockpit though.

Great thread!

And this might sound boring by now, but my god, the sound design. Absolutely love it, and as I've seen you guys mentioning all the great little things, I've done nothing but nod my head in agreement.

The best in any game I've played, by far.

In regards to the planet music though, which I absolutely love, am I the only one who thinks the SRV engine is WAY too loud? If you're going full speed it completely drowns out the music, even half speed it's too loud. And yes, music is maxed.

So am I alone in thinking that?

In regards to the planet music though, which I absolutely love, am I the only one who thinks the SRV engine is WAY too loud? If you're going full speed it completely drowns out the music, even half speed it's too loud. And yes, music is maxed.

So am I alone in thinking that?

I don't know about WAY too loud, but if it was currently set to 10 then I might tweak it down to 8 just to see how that sounds. I actually really like the SRV engine sound and the way it adds a sense of speed to my SRV racing videos ..

[video=youtube_share;_4-6xJ2rmCk]https://youtu.be/_4-6xJ2rmCk[/video]

Obviously the pumping Underworld soundtrack I've slapped on top of this video is kinda drowning everything else out anyway. :D
Actually, more than the engine sound, I do find that the constant firing of boost on these videos is ever so slightly annoying (although that might be exacerbated by the fact that I generally speed them up a bit).

While we're on the subject of SRV sounds, I absolutely love the sound made by other peoples SRV's when you're flying alongside them ..

[video=youtube_share;DVAy0VI2jbI]https://youtu.be/DVAy0VI2jbI[/video]

Again, apologies for the Mogwai soundtrack I've dubbed over this. Actually, heck no, it's an awesome piece of music! :D
And finally, here's another "detail" (if you can call it detail) - the fact that the planetary physics model is being applied to everything on the planet. Not just your Ship and your SRV, but even to bits of wereckage. The following video is from last years "Kick the Alien" race. I was out on the course following some of the competitors when I heard a distant explosion. A short while later I spotted a lone SRV wheel rolling down the hill and decided to follow it. Some time later (you need to watch carefully) I noticed a 2nd wheel and changed course to follow that instead. Some time after that a third wheel appears. Just hilarious but also a stunning example of how Elite is a real simulation.

[video=youtube_share;7eXn0FtuH7g]https://youtu.be/7eXn0FtuH7g[/video]

Last edited:
The 2nd seat in the Vulture was one of the first things known about the ship as it was shown as a teaser just before it was released.
Don't know why so many people forgot about it lol

Would love to experience VR in the Vulture cockpit though.

Well, probably I totally missed that. When I bought my first Vulture post-VR it was such a nice discovery!

Too many things to list, but some bits I've noticed:
- the T9-s front thrusters are vectored (perhaps others as well, like the Cobra's and Vipers's rear thrusters?)
- the Diamondback's rear (thurster) somehow lowers after landing
- I love how at the station, the first 3 letter of your CMDR name is being called

Wow, i honestly didn't expect this thread to get that much attention, considering all that bickering that's going on in this Forum :p But i like it, finally something positive!

:eek:

Do you mean turned on or turned off?
I enable "Reduce Camera Shake" because although I like the idea of camera shake for added realism, it's horrible at the moment - the way it's modelled is just completely wrong and so distracting it actually gets in the way of gameply. I put up a thread about it but it has dropped off the radar, sadly.

Turned off and i have to (partly) disagree with you on that. I guess i have explained it for me personally, with the genetic modifications humans have done and the Gel, that prevents you from blacking out while pulling 27G for a few moments.

The black smoky effect behind HUD notifications was mind blowing when I first noticed it.

The game gets better with every iteration and that's why I'm still here after thousands of hours played.

Oh yes, it does!

My awesome moments with Elite:
1) Outgassing (on planets in deep crevices or craters, the solar wind is not able to strip all the gasses coming from the planet away, meaning it creates a sort of thin atmosphere of different gasses and dust). Light refraction in there is also absolutely amazing.
2) Zoom in on different planet types while in system map (need to have game music on, and preferably at MAX) - you can tell the planet type by its sound. The sounds are also incredibly "emotional", I would say. For example my favourite is the Earth-Like-World music... while looking at an ELW you can see it has flora and probably fauna... but the very subtle bird and insect noises in that music... just feel so empowering and makes you realize that every one of those planets is exactly like our very own Earth - filled with life to the brim. I can only hope one day we can explore it.
3) Canopy freezing over when the ship is running cold. Makes you feel the cold of space.
4) Over-G your pilot: while the G forces experienced by our commanders exceeds realistic surviveable g loads by a huge margin, it's a game and I don't expect it to be 100% realistic. But when you for example pull up or pull down in glide mode, your commander can actually get a complete reddout or a complete blackout, you as the player can still see somewhat, but your commander actually can lose control of the ship for a period of time (I think the maximum length of a blackout I have been able to get was nearly 5 seconds).
5) Forming of the "supercruise bubble" or moving through hyperspace - I believe the blue tones are not only for the effect of being cool. Blue tones (violet tones even more-so) are the most energetic wavelengths of light that we can see - it conveys the sheer amount of energy required to create a supercruise warp bubble or enter a jump. (As a side note, when getting hyperdicted by an unknown ship, those blue tones actually turn yellow-green, which is a lower energy wavelength of light, meaning that perhasp the way to hyperdict is actually to simply steal energy from the hyperspace conduit).
6) The gravitational lensing created by black holes, neutron stars and white dwarves. The effect is stunning and quite close to realism. The only sad part is that the event horizon does not exist for black holes, surely that will change one day, though...

Actually, how elite is developing, my guess would be: Yes, we will someday be able to land on ELWs - but it may take some years to do so, because IF Frontier does a new thing, they'll do it (mostly - bugs happen) properly.

On a side note: The amounts of Energy required to make a Hyperspace Jump are not as high, as one might think - actually, some scientists guess, we will be able to do that kind of stuff in 150-200 Years, if we get powerful enough Fusion Reactors - and find some exotic matter, that can produce negative mass :D But at least theoretical, it's not impossible and considering, the Higgs Boson is massless...well...^^

Edit 2: doh! but not the side panels (as pointed out in the next post)

Actually, i think the HUD are Holograms - as they work now, they need to have a projection plane. For a small HUD like the Sidepanels they may be build into those side panels itself, but the big one uses the Windows as projection plane - which is partly gone, that's why you can see it on the remaining glass (or whatever material it is - transparent aluminum? :D)

Too many things to list, but some bits I've noticed:
- the T9-s front thrusters are vectored (perhaps others as well, like the Cobra's and Vipers's rear thrusters?)
- the Diamondback's rear (thurster) somehow lowers after landing
- I love how at the station, the first 3 letter of your CMDR name is being called

Oh, wow, i never noticed that it's the first 3 letters of the CMDR name :eek:

Also, while watching the Stream from Frontier this evening i noticed the thrusters glow red hot for a brief moment after you shut them down

I don't know if this qualifies as "detail" exactly but I'd accidentally left my ships lights on before dismissing it to do some SRV stuff this morning. Anyway, when I recalled my ship I was fairly stunned to see its lights sweeping the dark surface of the planet down in the valley in front of me as it came back in to land! Really wish I could have captured a screenshot but I was in VR at the time.

P.S. this has turned out to be one of my favoruite forum threads of recent week - thanks to the OP and everyone else for posting!

Last edited:
I don't know if this qualifies as "detail" exactly but I'd accidentally left my ships lights on before dismissing it to do some SRV stuff this morning. Anyway, when I recalled my ship I was fairly stunned to see its lights sweeping the dark surface of the planet down in the valley in front of me as it came back in to land! Really wish I could have captured a screenshot but I was in VR at the time.

P.S. this has turned out to be one of my favoruite forum threads of recent week - thanks to the OP and everyone else for posting!

I'd call things like that details - especially things like that. I also love it, that if you drive far enough, your ship will circle the spot where you are to find a suitable landing spot.

Yesterday i finally made it to my first black hole - luckily there is no event horizon at the moment...i probably would have been sucked in with just 1.3 Mm from the Center :D
However, I flew around and got a "Dropping - to close"...i'm not eager to try it, but if you just fly straight after that - you just explode, same as with a star?

Also, Rings around ALL stellar bodies in a system is pretty amazing to look at...Elite is not just incredibly detailed, it's also incredibly beautiful...

Top Bottom