Development Update 5 - October

Would be cool to be able to have some small activities between players, for example - playing a poker (ex using points, no currencies involved), or any other simple board games.
Basically create some spaces that can attract players all over the galaxy and be social hubs, I believe this will bring better feeling of being a citizen of the Milky Way in the FD, and facilitate people to spend their ARX more on the outfit.

At a moment it's all about missions, which quite often too 'heavy' cooperation, need to find right ppl, need to coordinate for the missions - this works for players that play together often, but occasional collaboration is harder. Also such 'social hubs' can boost in-game cooperation on missions later on too, people will get to know each other and then can agree on taking some coop missions.

Will the work on the SRV mean that there's finally a chance to get an option to turn off the horizon locking?

It has been the most bothersome thing for me about vehicle 'combat' since SRVs have been added, that the turret when the vehicle is at an angle, automatically does pitch movement so sole left/right input follows the horizon.

It's not intuitive to me as I've never seen another game do this and it made using the turret manually a pain every single time, and I'm still waiting on an option to finally turn that off and get truly relative control over it.

Everyone making a big fuss about an interior for a ship that you can't drive; which is OK, if this is what you like in a game, enjoy your static view of the outside from a static object :)
I am more interested in the new mission types, and POI; where hopefully this game will be more akin to a regular MMO where you can find gameplay opportunity as you travel through the galaxy, instead of going to a station/settlement hub to get the same mission types, just with different names on it

it will be very interesting to wander inside the fleet carriers and ride from the new SRV
1636281913370.png

I'd still like to see ship, weapon and suit upgrades being offered as mission rewards. The only reason I would ever want to get into a firefight on foot would be to steal a new weapon or module from some R&D station.

Everyone making a big fuss about an interior for a ship that you can't drive; which is OK, if this is what you like in a game, enjoy your static view of the outside from a static object :)
I am more interested in the new mission types, and POI; where hopefully this game will be more akin to a regular MMO where you can find gameplay opportunity as you travel through the galaxy, instead of going to a station/settlement hub to get the same mission types, just with different names on it
You might think so, but fleet carrier concourses will essentially add private social spaces for wings, parties or entire squadrons. I can see them being useful just for that.

Presumably it will also allow carriers to be used as Apex travel nodes. It's easy to imagine what an improvement this will be as well.

Greetings Commanders,

Spooky season is here and with it the end of another month in our Earth-based calendar. As such, we are delighted to share with you the latest development progress from the team.

This week saw the release of Odyssey Update 8. This brought a number of new and exciting features into our galaxy, ranging from emotes and four-player multicrew to new social spaces in Megaships. We’ve been elated watching Commanders coming together to experience everything that Odyssey has to offer. If you would like to see some of the highlights from Update 8 you can watch our highlights video here.

As Update 8 has just arrived, we won’t be doing an issue breakdown as part of this post. Instead, you’ll be able to find more as Update 9 work progresses through our Supercruise News livestreams in November. That said, we want to provide you with some detailed insight on our optimisations for game performance, a number of which have arrived in Update 8 with more still to come.

Performance Optimisation

Engineers all across the team, from render, to AI, to low-level game systems, have been working hard on optimisation. As part of Update 8, extensive work has been carried out on Odyssey’s light and shadows, improvements to glass, skin, and particles, along with high-level rendering optimisations and further improvements to the Navmesh. These have delivered significant performance improvements to the on-foot experience in a number of areas. We have tested a number of different hardware configurations, and while not every system is identical, we have seen strong improvements across the board in areas such as planet port social spaces and planet surfaces more widely. That however is not to say our work is done.

Update 9 will see further improvement with optimisation already well underway for character animation, mid-far distance planet rendering, lighting, scatter rocks, object physics, AI and character models and much more, contributing to an ever better Odyssey experience.

Upcoming Updates and Content

Please note: These are at varying stages of progress. This is not an exhaustive list of everything that is being considered or currently being developed. They are not final, so they are subject to change. We will keep you updated with news and details as they progress. With that said, here’s a look at just some of the features and content in consideration, to go alongside the other development work required for future updates.

Update 9

The team have been incredibly busy working not only on optimisation and fixes, but to bring new and exciting content to Odyssey. You can see a preview of some of the features slated for release in Update 9 below.

Twin-Seat Combat SRV

We are making fantastic strides towards releasing our new SRV and we’re almost ready for our full reveal. Stay tuned to our channels for more details and in the meantime we hope you enjoy the small teaser below…

View attachment 271683

Further Mission Additions and Improvements

We continue to expand player missions and their complexity, striving to make each mission more diverse and dynamic. As we previously mentioned we are continuing to work on this, below are just some of the examples of what mission features we will be adding for Update 9. Please remember this is only a snapshot of we have planned and will of course share more with you in the future!

Mission Contacts at POIs

Similar to the mission contacts recently added in Update 8, we'll also be adding new scenarios and related missions to help or meet individuals outside of the confines of settlements. Some of these individuals might need the player's help to get their ship running, or may be waiting for a courier to complete the next step of a sensitive delivery. Sometimes you may find you are just in time to save them from opportunistic raiders.

Settlement Mission-Providers

As we have in social spaces, some of the inhabitants at a settlement may also have requests they can make of the player. These missions are a lot more personal and will be granted by actual inhabitants who you visit again later to complete the mission.

Multi Limpet Controller

The multi limpet controller is a new module that works in addition to existing limpet controllers, allowing players to deploy multiple limpet types using a single module slot. This new controller is not intended to replace the existing dedicated limpet controllers and will be balanced against these within the game, allowing basic use of multiple limpet types without a dedicated slot for each.

After Update 9

Fleet Carrier Interiors

View attachment 271684

We previously announced that we are bringing interiors to Fleet Carriers just as we did for Megaships in Update 8. As you might imagine, this poses a greater challenge due to a number of variables. These include allowing players to transport multiple other Commanders and their ships while existing in the same social space. We are pleased to say that we are making strong progress towards this and more details can be seen below.

Fleet Carrier interiors will reflect some of the existing services you choose to add to your carrier. For example, adding a Shipyard will add the ability for players to buy ships while on foot.

New optional services will be available to carrier owners. We’ll share more on these closer to launch.

Fleet Carrier interiors will feature escape pods, meaning that any player stranded aboard another Commander’s carrier will be able to abandon ship.

Commanders will be able to experience a hyperspace jump seated inside a carrier and enjoy the view!

Further details will be announced soon - we hope you will join us for a very special VIP Fleet Carrier tour in December!

Narrative

We’re pleased to see you getting involved and enjoying the current ongoing narrative around the Azimuth Saga. Without giving anything away, we have a lot more planned for 2022!

More to Come!

We hope you’re enjoying four-player multicrew and Megaship interiors from Update 8, and looking forward to pairing up in the new SRV come Update 9. As always, this is just a small look at some of the content that’s on its way and you can expect further mentions of bug fixes, performance improvements, plus new content in January 2022.

Thank you as always for your continued feedback and support.

~ The Elite Dangerous Team

So are the mission changes for on-foot missions only, or are you going to go back and add much needed complexity to the missions in the base game?

Also, your new SRV variant shows your ongoing obsession with combat based game-play. How about SRV variants with higher cargo capacity (but with a speed trade off), or a Surface Mining SRV, or a Stealth SRV?

Also, any news on improvements to on-foot Exploration or a full-blown Stealth approach for on-foot missions? Those were both extremely lacklustre during alpha and at initial release.

Any improvements to be made to the heat map, to make it more like what you promised before the Alpha launched? The one we got at launch was pretty dull, to be honest.

Lastly, glad to see you're bringing us the Multi-limpet controller.....we've only been asking for that for around 4 years.

We play this game on firsat place because of space ships. We buy, outfit and fgly our spaceships. Having new spaceships and ship interiors is critical for the success of teh game. Baing bale to walk inside your favourite ship, to modify your interior and to interact with it in different ways is waht matters. Tyhere are plenty of good MMOs out there but not a lot good space ship, open world, sandbox games

I didn't expect carriers would be getting interiors, first planet bases, then stations, now this? Maybe if this goes well there will actually be hope for ship interiors, odyssey might just be worth it to me after that.

We play this game on firsat place because of space ships. We buy, outfit and fgly our spaceships. Having new spaceships and ship interiors is critical for the success of teh game. Baing bale to walk inside your favourite ship, to modify your interior and to interact with it in different ways is waht matters. Tyhere are plenty of good MMOs out there but not a lot good space ship, open world, sandbox games

That is your take on it... I play Star Citizen and I could care less to have ship interiors that does nothing but adding pretty visuals to be honest.

If there is a reason to have interiors, because they augment gameplay, then yes; but since you can't do anything in FPS beside when you are landing at a station or outpost; the fact that you can walk around is useless to me.
If there was EVA and combat/exploration in space, then yes, I would like to walk around my ship and explore other ships; but as the game is now, walking around is just useless, when you can do everything from a terminal. It is fun for 5 minutes, then you won't mind anymore. Then of course YMMV; to each their own.

That is your take on it... I play Star Citizen and I could care less to have ship interiors that does nothing but adding pretty visuals to be honest.

If there is a reason to have interiors, because they augment gameplay, then yes; but since you can't do anything in FPS beside when you are landing at a station or outpost; the fact that you can walk around is useless to me.
If there was EVA and combat/exploration in space, then yes, I would like to walk around my ship and explore other ships; but as the game is now, walking around is just useless, when you can do everything from a terminal. It is fun for 5 minutes, then you won't mind anymore. Then of course YMMV; to each their own.
This is very wrong. In Horizons we have srv and we land on planets all the time. However, there is no need to land on planets at all apart of raw materials grinding but we still land just to wonder around a bit and make photos. if we have cusotmizable interiors it will be the same. We will spend time to have the best looking ship ineterior. Also in my previous commetn I mentioned interactable interiors that allows you to do something more than just walking around. Also, the fact that you have played SC doesn’t make you expert in ship interiors. I have played SC too and I am not impressed at all with the game mechanics so please don't compare.

This is very wrong. In Horizons we have srv and we land on planets all the time. However, there is no need to land on planets at all apart of raw materials grinding but we still land just to wonder around a bit and make photos. if we have cusotmizable interiors it will be the same. We will spend time to have the best looking ship ineterior. Also in my previous commetn I mentioned interactable interiors that allows you to do something more than just walking around. Also, the fact that you have played SC doesn’t make you expert in ship interiors. I have played SC too and I am not impressed at all with the game mechanics so please don't compare.

Your statement just enforced mine; thanks for trying to counter on the point that you need to have gameplay tied to a feature, otherwise that feature is just for looks.
Also you should stop to talk as "we"; talk for yourself, otherwise you sound quite pretentious speaking for others. Since you tell already what others should do and say, I think you started already on the wrong foot, but you have time to fix things.

You land on the planets because there is a mechanic (material collection), which is essential to survive if you go out of the bubble and plan to mine, repair your ship and so on (unless you find someone else ship that offer those services); that is the whole point of it. And for pretty pictures of course, or to walk aimlessly, if you got time for that (lucky)

Then we have the POI; where you can find either materials, combat or both...

Then we have DNA collection from living lifeforms to collect...

So yeah... No reason to land, right? I would suggest you to not work for marketing ever because you would sell products for the competition for sure, with your very strong and well thought points :) Try taking pictures in Space Engine, that is probably a product you may enjoy.

So we are restricted to a seat and not able to move around during a hyperspace jump??
I disagree with the part of all missions given by npc, today we already have a cell phone app to order food and transport, the delivery man is like a commander looking at the terminal looking for missions, but i think they could have unique missions given by npc, i dont like to have the same missions in npc and in terminal, the missions given by npc should be more elaborate.

Your statement just enforced mine; thanks for trying to counter on the point that you need to have gameplay tied to a feature, otherwise that feature is just for looks.
Also you should stop to talk as "we"; talk for yourself, otherwise you sound quite pretentious speaking for others. Since you tell already what others should do and say, I think you started already on the wrong foot, but you have time to fix things.

You land on the planets because there is a mechanic (material collection), which is essential to survive if you go out of the bubble and plan to mine, repair your ship and so on (unless you find someone else ship that offer those services); that is the whole point of it. And for pretty pictures of course, or to walk aimlessly, if you got time for that (lucky)

So yeah... No reason to land, right? I would suggest you to not work for marketing ever because you would sell products for the competition for sure, with your very strong and well thought points :) Try taking pictures in Space Engine, that is probably a product you may enjoy.
I would very much like to walk around my Vette while in orbit of an unknown planet in deep space.

i disagree, tthe only time I landed on a planet for the specific purpose of collecting materials was for engineering, and I guarantee that it didn't give 1% of the time I landed on planets, most of the time I'm just enjoying the view, or playing with my friends.

I would very much like to walk around my Vette while in orbit of an unknown planet in deep space.
Do you think that it would grab your attention for more than few times? Do you see yourself walking around a ship that has no gameplay associated to it?

Or would you rather get up and walk around because there is a gameplay associated with it?

i disagree, tthe only time I landed on a planet for the specific purpose of collecting materials was for engineering, and I guarantee that it didn't give 1% of the time I landed on planets, most of the time I'm just enjoying the view, or playing with my friends.
That is your way to play; some people spend time in that way, others look for gameplay opportunities.

Building something just for show is a waste of engineering time; building something with a purpose of adding gameplay has a bigger impact on engineering resources and also a bigger ROI

my biggest doubt is... why can't we put the troop drop module that exists in vultures on our ships? this would allow us to bring more friends with us

Top Bottom