Newcomer / Intro Discovering Elite Dangerous in 2019...

The only reward was in his pants.
If you don't want to be stimulation for people like that, then a good private group or solo might be worth a consideration.

Thanks !

I didn't think there where such phenomenon in this game, due to its learning curve. Lame !
Anyway, that's good to know !
Since the game is kind enough to provides a convenient and easy way to counter the "noob cheap hunting", I'm going to use it and always run solo session for this specific system.

Abyway, ATM I'm looking for means to get myself a good old Meta alloy.
Buying it is quite far away, kicking some Barnacle's ass seems the way to go !

I'll make a couple jumps tonight and check them by myself.

Thanks !

I didn't think there where such phenomenon in this game, due to its learning curve. Lame !
Anyway, that's good to know !
Since the game is kind enough to provides a convenient and easy way to counter the "noob cheap hunting", I'm going to use it and always run solo session for this specific system.

Buying it is quite far away, kicking some Barnacle's seems the way to go !

If the bugs find you, play dead. :)

huho !

OK,
I'll sell my data before going, and go there with empty cargo, JUST IN CASE
I'll be ready to turn off the light and take some pictures ! :)

Instead of going to Solo you can block that player. It's less fussy than switching to Solo for certain systems and it also works if that player happens to be in an other system.

He should be listed in your recent contacts history. Select him and a drop-down menu appears with an option to block. Blocking reduces your chances of seeing a blocked player to almost zero. But in rare circumstances you can see them again. For example when a friend or wing member of yours is with the blocked player.

Instead of going to Solo you can block that player. It's less fussy than switching to Solo for certain systems and it also works if that player happens to be in an other system.

He should be listed in your recent contacts history. Select him and a drop-down menu appears with an option to block. Blocking reduces your chances of seeing a blocked player to almost zero. But in rare circumstances you can see them again. For example when a friend or wing member of yours is with the blocked player.
Doesn't always work. In fact it doesn't work most of the time.
When you block a player they can't contact you, of course, but if there is only one instance, you will still be put together. If it is a really busy system (Like CG or a powerplay HQ) then blocking works, because there are always multiple instances on the server and the matchmaker will put you into a different one than your blocked player is.
But for a remote systems with one instance tops, blocking a player is only good for muting them.

The trouble with blocking is it at best only works on that one commander account and there is certainly more than one out there quite probably with more than one account Private Group or Solo saves having to bother about all of them until you wish to.

Doesn't always work. In fact it doesn't work most of the time.
When you block a player they can't contact you, of course, but if there is only one instance, you will still be put together. If it is a really busy system (Like CG or a powerplay HQ) then blocking works, because there are always multiple instances on the server and the matchmaker will put you into a different one than your blocked player is.
But for a remote systems with one instance tops, blocking a player is only good for muting them.

My experience is that blocking works fine 99% of the time. I have only a handful of people blocked so not a large sample size. However, I never saw them again even after returning to the same system within a minute after I was ganked and I knew they were hanging out there that night.

Last edited:
You can recognize other players because their radar markers are open shapes rather than filled in. It's a great pity that, unless you are in a community event of some sort, the only other players you are likely to meet are the bad guys.

When I realized that my first instinct when I saw one was to bug out fast, rather than wonder if they were friendly, I knew there was no point my playing in Open at all.

OP - Welcome!

Quick digression - Blocking on Xbox - as described above this will attempt to block that player from every single game you both play. In my experience, an abusive player in one game is abusive in another so a complete block is brilliant. I've found one player Ive blocked in ED, must have blocked them on another game, so you can end up in the same instance rarely but the benefit is massive, especially if you have a 5 yo watching/reading/hearing the screen.

Back to OP - Early on, get a Collector Limpet and a Wake Scanner, as you go about your exploring just use them as you can, couple of scans while getting away from the Mass Lock at stations adds up for example. Dropping into a USS and collecting what's there on the way to your destination, collecting dropped stuff from destroyed ships and other locations just as you play the game.

Meta Alloys - Some gameplay is unavoidable, and in games like this a lot of that is the 'travelling'. In GTA you spend at least 50% of gameplay just getting to the next mission, in AC you get to ride horses and camels or free-run which is all nice but is just another way of travelling to the next mission or gameplay point. In ED some things are deliberately available in one or very few locations only. My view is that its supposed to make you 'see' the game, experience different gameplay where possible using new DLCs (Horizons) or just that to draw your attention to a system or region of space - not that we always get the hint. If you head towards the one place you can buy meta-alloys and explore the systems / planets on the way you'll probably find something that will help but also be another 'wow' moment. this is how it was introduced into the narrative originally and Frontier try to allow us / make us, depending on your POV, noobs follow the same storyline and have the same discoveries where possible.

Thanks for the infos about blocking and the general tips friends !

Buying it is quite far away, kicking some Barnacle's seems the way to go !

OK, did it, that was fun ! :)

I did use this database to find the closest Barnacles site http://elitedangerous.hozbase.co.uk/customtable/view/barnacles. > 171 LY.
Set up route. 32 jumps. That's unfortunate !
Spend a good chunk of my money (- 1,2 Milllion creds) , to get myself a 4A FSD engine.
Jump range went from 9ly to 20 ly. Route is now 12 jumps only. NOICE!
Put my helmet on, lets go. Jumps, scoop, jumps, scoop... a few temperature alertes, emergency stops, Just a discovery scan + a FSS honk at each new system.
Arrive on Barnacle system. Go nearby to sell all exploration data, just in case (+ 1.2 M creds !).
Scan the entire system for good mesure.
Super cruise to THE ONE planet hosting 3 Barn. sites. (C6)
Descent ok. Check long / lat. Closest site is far away. Supercruise there...
THERE they are, so small at the distance. Unfortunately, we are now in the night side of the planet but that's OK.
Land nearby, launch SRV. Go check.
Have fun and get myself two pieces of precious meta alloys.
Park nearby to spend the night. Will continue investigation next time.

Nice session my friends !

OMG I almost forgot- If or when you decide to passenger trips, if a friendly NPC explore or tourist offers a seemingly large amount of money to go to one seemingly innocent destination Hutton Orbital, run away screaming! I got trolled by this NPC for my first trip and only now feel free to admit that that's how I found this place the first time. trolled by an NPC! (its definitely worth a visit but not when you logged in for a bit of gameplay or a short session is all :)

Night - You have lights and Night Vision available in ship & SRV (plus full-beam lights) - In RHS panel under Ship.

NV starts to work at about 20KM to give a vague outline but is really good within 5KM so you can land and drive easily.

SRV - make sure Composition Scanner has a fire group assigned, usually same as Data Link Scanner so both work together, every time I buy a new one it gets taken off the fire groups and you need it to scan Animal/Mineral/Vegetable objects on planets.

Last edited:
Hello there,

On the same moon I went for the Barnacles, where another Barn. site,
I went there because I wanted to see it under the sunlight, and I discover this ons was huge !!
Actually it was like several Barnacles sites, connected together in a Seastar shape.
And also, I was surprised because little buddies where patroling everywhere !!
Went there with the SRV, didn't fire anything, juste took pictures. They didn't seem to notice me.
That was quie cool !

Anyway, back to business : now that I get Farseer to even consider working with me, I see there is still a long way to go to before any improvement on my stuff...
Need to collect components.

I don't want to dive into that right now so now that I can travel 20Ly per jump, I went back to Sol system and explored it a bit further.
Earth has a lot of story beacons around it (but half of them doesn't appear in my Codex / commander / Archive when I scan them, only get a mail)
I found an old abandonned ship I can intereact with using my Datalink Scanner, but I don't really know what to do.
I stand there right now, waiting to see what tomorrow brings.

Maybe I'll investigate about this because at the moment, I don't have a clue what you are talking about ! :)
Back to OP - Early on, get a Collector Limpet and a Wake Scanner, as you go about your exploring just use them as you can, couple of scans while getting away from the Mass Lock at stations adds up for example. Dropping into a USS and collecting what's there on the way to your destination, collecting dropped stuff from destroyed ships and other locations just as you play the game.

SRV - make sure Composition Scanner has a fire group assigned, usually same as Data Link Scanner so both work together, every time I buy a new one it gets taken off the fire groups and you need it to scan Animal/Mineral/Vegetable objects on planets.

See you in space Commanders !
o7

Ahem...

I'm not even sure what happen...
Is it possible that I get "hostile status, kill him !" because they scan my cargo (and found military tissues x16), and then "400 cr fine + access denied" because I did hit the walls while entering the station... ??

30/07/2019 01:20:07DiedKilled by Service de sécurité de la fédération in ship type Viper rank Deadly
30/07/2019 01:20:05Hull Damage19%
30/07/2019 01:20:05Hull Damage37%
30/07/2019 01:20:04Hull Damage59%
30/07/2019 01:20:03Hull Damage79%
30/07/2019 01:19:42Commit CrimeDocking Minor Tresspass on faction Independent Deciat Green Party, Cost:400 cr
30/07/2019 01:19:31Receive Text3 Texts from npc

From:Service de sécurité de la fédération: Force de police, à l'attaque !
From:Service de sécurité de la fédération: Criminel recherché !
From:Garay Terminal: Accès non autorisé détecté, quittez immédiatement le spatioport sous peine d'intervention armée
30/07/2019 01:19:31Docking DeniedGaray Terminal, Hostile
30/07/2019 01:19:31Receive Text2 Texts from npc

From:Garay Terminal: Appontage interdit aux criminels, intervention armée autorisée
From:Service de sécurité de la fédération: Analyse effectuée. Vous allez payer pour vos crimes.
30/07/2019 01:19:30ScannedCargo
30/07/2019 01:18:47Docking GrantedGaray Terminal on pad 29
30/07/2019 01:18:47Receive Text2 Texts from npc

From:Garay Terminal: Suivez le protocole du spatioport à la lettre lors de votre visite, pilote.
30/07/2019 01:18:45Docking Requested

If I can trust Google Translate:
From: Garay Terminal: Unauthorized attack on criminals, authorized armed intervention
From: Federation Security Service: Analysis Performed. You will pay for your crimes
From: Garay Terminal: Unauthorized access detected, immediately leave the spaceport under penalty of armed intervention
I see two possibilities. Either you killed a criminal without properly scanning them first, and/or you had contraband. Whichever it was, they rescinded your docking permission and then you were trespassing.

The former might be a bad translation and the turnaround came immediately after a cargo scan, so I suspect you were carrying contraband.

I agree, they scanned your ship and considered the cargo contraband, then they revoked your docking permission hence the trespass issue then the police shot you to pieces for one or both offences.

Thanks !

It must be contraband then because I didn't kill anyone.

Actually what happen is I already had a local 200 cr fine at Deciat system, from 3 days before.
I was 8 jumps away and told myself, last thing I do tonight : go there and pay my fine.

Always looking for any additionnal profit, I searched in the market in the station where I was, for stuff I could buy here to sell at Deciat.
I found the best profit was "military clothes". 16 units for a 20.000 creds net profit. Not huge, but better than empty cargo travelling.

I didn't check, but now I think they must be forbidden in Deciat (I'll have to check).

After my jumps, when I arrived at deciat I think what happen is :
  • Request Docking, allowed.
  • Scan ship. (probably : Illegal detected > Docking rejected and hostille station, ready to kill me)
But I didn't notice at the moment because at the same time, I was entering too fast and hit the walls in the mail slot
  • Hit the walls > Fine is now 400 cr.
  • Docking rejected. Turn around and try to get away.
  • KA-boom !

I think it means I did I lose all my FSS system scan, and all my cargo (sad !)
Ho, and I realise now my Faarseer Inc. rep must be damaged too...
Per-fect

pff... Maybe I should stick to Sol and scan everything I find there ! :)

Thanks !

It must be contraband then because I didn't kill anyone.

Actually what happen is I already had a local 200 cr fine at Deciat system, from 3 days before.
I was 8 jumps away and told myself, last thing I do tonight : go there and pay my fine.

Always looking for any additionnal profit, I searched in the market in the station where I was, for stuff I could buy here to sell at Deciat.
I found the best profit was "military clothes". 16 units for a 20.000 creds net profit. Not huge, but better than empty cargo travelling.

I didn't check, but now I think they must be forbidden in Deciat (I'll have to check).

After my jumps, when I arrived at deciat I think what happen is :
  • Request Docking, allowed.
  • Scan ship. (probably : Illegal detected > Docking rejected and hostille station, ready to kill me)
But I didn't notice at the moment because at the same time, I was entering too fast and hit the walls in the mail slot
  • Hit the walls > Fine is now 400 cr.
  • Docking rejected. Turn around and try to get away.
  • KA-boom !
I think it means I did I lose all my FSS system scan, and all my cargo (sad !)
Ho, and I realise now my Faarseer Inc. rep must be damaged too...
Per-fect

pff... Maybe I should stick to Sol and scan everything I find there ! :)
Yes all exploration data was lost along with any unclaimed bounties or combat bonds, all cargo and NPC crew that were on board are gone.
Reputation might not be affected if you didn’t kill anyone.

Many cmdrs died to bring you ED in its present form.

When I started everyone was in the 'starter' system.

Watch out for the Pirate code trying to recruit you.

Top Bottom