DLC18 discussion and predictions

I'm not sure a tutorial would even help with all that, the scope of how much knowledge required for all of that can take most people years to fully master. The tutorial definitely needs improving though, that helps players understand the actual game not the bare bone basics of building low effort habitats and some management work.
Yeah I think that’s mostly been my problem, while I have played for “years” I only have around 200 hours in game. Simply put in Vet school I do not have a ton of time to play and get better. So it makes the game super daunting to play.

To sum it up: it’s a me problem 😂

Last edited:
  1. How to make underwater viewing (man this can be a real pain sometimes)
  2. How to properly use the terrain and water
  3. How to make custom fences/ foliage/ etc.
  4. How to use the path system
  5. How to use certain pieces outside of their intended use
Well that makes my job of finding tutorial topics a lot easier for the future 😅

I don’t know how, but if we had a way to make indoor building better I would love that. Once again I know a lot of this comes down to experience. Also roofs suck, especially if you try to make a big building it can be a pain.
The building part for me is fine but building when I’m inside of a building is really irritating, like my camera goes freaking nuts if I turn it when I’m in a corner in a building.
Indoor building in Planet Zoo is rough. The game was designed with exteriors in mind and it shows. I've talked about it before but I think allowing some sort of modular habitat placement (like just being able to "stamp" down a full rectangle or square set of fence pieces with a pre-selected square footage would make it SO much easier; you could then modify/change the fences after but it would make mapping out/planning your building so much easier). Eliminating the need for habitat gates and just allowing keepers to walk up to a fence and add food, clean the habitat, or whatever without entering the way they do to exhibits would be a big help too. Especially for people who prefer to play with "implied" realism (e.g., I'm not big on doing all the backstage bits LOL).

Along those lines, adding elevators to the game and improving the way stairs work could really help too. Improved lighting and allowing for true-dark spaces would be good too.
A perfect system for blueprints in my eyes would be the ability to make piece blueprints - meaning you could combine pieces to make like a custom fence for example, then click a new option labelled “make official piece” which will combine all pieces of that group into 1 and be put into the market with the plain white background and everything. Very similar to blueprints but more organized.
This would be so nice! Especially for things like fences and wall sets. As a fellow clapboard connoisseur I'm not surprised you want this sort of thing. LOL. I've also always thought it would be nice if we could "cut" certain parts of a prop. Like, if a tree fits perfectly but that one weird little branch is sticking through your fence... Just lop that bad boy off! That'd be nice.

TBH, this would be a nice feature especially since a TMTK isn't a guarantee. But I think this is one of those "a sequel would have to do it" sorta things. Because the game would really need to be optimized for it, I think.

I’ll put it this way too: I have played the ingame tutorial and while it is useful to learn how to play, it doesn’t teach the stuff YouTubers do.
  1. How to make underwater viewing (man this can be a real pain sometimes)
  2. How to properly use the terrain and water
  3. How to make custom fences/ foliage/ etc.
  4. How to use the path system
  5. How to use certain pieces outside of their intended use
  6. How to get an eye for architecture 😂
I can be a bit of a perfectionist and a bit harsh on myself, so I’ll definitely check out the tutorials you guys do! I just wish building was a bit “easier” without sacrificing the creativity. It can also be extremely overwhelming, even restricting myself doesn’t always help.
Most of those things shouldnt be part of a tutorial though.
Dont get me wrong, pzs tutorial is as basic as it gets and could be improved in many many ways, but its hard to make a tutorial for what more or less boils down to an eye for design and patience.
And while theres alot to be improved, i gotta say building for the most part is very intuitive and self explanatory and the only big thing i would change is a toggleable part of the ui with some of the most important hotkeys like x, y and control when placing paths. Being more in the players face with building related hotkeys is propaply the best way to get a player to use them abd actually understand the controlls

I made a projection of animals distribution if the next update is about Latin American animals. This map was made by @yoav_r
It's notable how South America despite its enormous biodiversity is still poor in Planet Zoo and has a lot of gaps. Let's resolve it Frontier!

yoav_r planet zoo map updated.jpg

LATAM Animal roster:
  1. Coati
  2. Black Howler
  3. Tamandua
  4. Ocelot
  5. Spectacled Bear
  6. Greater Rhea
  7. Patagonian Mara
  8. Plumed Basilisk (Exhibit animals aren't included is that map, but its distribution is in central america)

Yeah I think that’s mostly been my problem, while I have played for “years” I only have around 200 hours in game. Simply put in Vet school I do not have a ton of time to play and get better. So it makes the game super daunting to play.

To sum it up: it’s a me problem 😂
No, i feel the same. The tutorial was pretty useless when it comes to using the building system. There are a lot of hitboxes that wouldn't know what they do if not for tutorials online. Is not intuitive nor user-friendly.

I made a projection of animals distribution if the next update is about Latin American animals. This map was made by @yoav_r
It's notable how South America despite its enormous biodiversity is still poor in Planet Zoo and has a lot of gaps. Let's resolve it Frontier!

View attachment 395043

LATAM Animal roster:
  1. Coati
  2. Black Howler
  3. Tamandua
  4. Ocelot
  5. Spectacled Bear
  6. Greater Rhea
  7. Patagonian Mara
  8. Plumed Basilisk (Exhibit animals aren't included is that map, but its distribution is in central america)
I would be so close to satisfied with SA after this lineup. I'd still want another monkey, and I'll always silently cheer for the bush dog and Brazilian tapir, but this looks great and fills out the map so well.

View attachment 395043

LATAM Animal roster:
  1. Coati
  2. Black Howler
  3. Tamandua
  4. Ocelot
  5. Spectacled Bear
  6. Greater Rhea
  7. Patagonian Mara
The roseate spoonbill/ brown pelican/ American flamingo would be perfect to fill that gap around Florida and the Caribbean.

Actually even on the NorthEast/ New England area a mallard/ wood duck/ puffin would be perfect too

Last edited:

View attachment 395043

LATAM Animal roster:
  1. Coati
  2. Black Howler
  3. Tamandua
  4. Ocelot
  5. Spectacled Bear
  6. Greater Rhea
  7. Patagonian Mara
Great lineup but I really also crave Spectacled bear, wild lama and bush dog very very much. Plus of course some birds.

Great lineup but I really also crave Spectacled bear, wild lama and bush dog very very much. Plus of course some birds.
The bear's in there but I'd make some substitutions of my own. Although I have to say most of the pack ideas are hitting at least 4 if not even 5 or 6 of my expectations/wants. Basically though anything that's not an animal very much like what we have in the game already - and for this it would be South America. Spectacled Bear, Coati, Mara, and Rhea fit that perfectly. We need another Monkey or two, and the Ocelot gives us a small cat for South America.

Personally I would love to see the Brazilian Porcupine instead of the Ocelot but I am very certain that won't happen. I'd also rather get another (third) monkey rather than the Tamandua, but honestly wouldn't be unhappy with the Tamandua as it is unique.

Bush Dog, Tayra, Scarlet Ibis, Grisons, and Viscacha would all be super unique, and additional primates would certainly be welcome.

A Latin America focused pack will only fail for me if it's another Tapir, another Camalid, another Capuchian monkey, and the American Flamingo. Even though I'm fine with the American Flamingo if we got none of the rest of those.

Here's something to chew on.
If Frontier partnered with a real life zoological institution for a DLC theme, what would be your ideal team-up?

I know it's cliche but it's pretty hard to beat Disney's Animal Kingdom imo
Mandai Wildlife Preserve for a DLC with a theme of "Everything and the Kitchen Sink (at least for warm-climate animals)". The free update adds big-time animal shows with birds and smaller mammals.

Back
Top Bottom