DLC18 discussion and predictions

This is off topic but in the case of a sequel what animals from DLCs you think should be included in base game and which from base game (or DLCs) could be removed?
I really like all the animals.
The only ones that I never use are dingo and llama.

Dingo has no conservation value and with the help of humans destroyed the fauna of the whole continent.
I would have nothing against llama if there was a wild SA camelid in the base game.

I have always really liked HBB and FBB and use them a lot.

This is off topic but in the case of a sequel what animals from DLCs you think should be included in base game and which from base game (or DLCs) could be removed?
For Habitat Animals:
  • Switch:
    • Springbok -> Thomson's Gazelle
    • HBB + Grizzly -> Brown Bear (probably leave it looking more like a grizzly and make the wolf look more Eurasian to be "fair")
    • Black Wildebeest -> Blue Wildebeest
    • Aldabra Giant Tortoise -> Spurred Tortoise
    • Formosan Black Bear -> Asiatic Black (Moon) Bear
    • Nyala -> Kudu
    • Bonobo -> Siamang
    • Red Deer -> Fallow Deer (It just seems like more of a base game animal.)
    • Black and White Lemur -> Guereza (A bit more unique)
  • Keep: Everything Else
    • Flexible (Should at least be DLC animals, but the base game doesn't need these specifically.): Gharial, Pronghorn, Mandrill, Japanese Macaque, Bactrian Camel, Nile Monitor, Pangolin. I'm not switching them because it makes sense to have some extra stuff for Africa and Asia in the base game. The other regions can catch up in DLCs.
  • Add:
    • South America: Ocelot or Jaguar, At least one monkey, giant anteater, a bird (perhaps the American Flamingo, which could have enrichment with the tortoise), and a camelid. I think the capybara makes a fantastic headliner for a DLC.
      • More than any other pack, I thought the South America pack seemed like an extension of the base game. North America, Europe, and Australia don't have as much relevant diversity, so it makes sense that more stuff would come in DLCs. South America has too much going on to start so far behind.
    • Africa: The white rhino was too basic to exclude.
    • North America: Moose, maybe mountain lion?
    • Australia: Kangaroo or wallaby, emu or cassowary, maybe koala? The base game ought to at least have one each of the first two.
    • Asia: Malayan Tapir?
    • Europe: Wisent

If I am to make a base game habitat roster for Planet Zoo 2 I'd do the following:
  1. Lion
  2. Tiger
  3. Cheetah
  4. Giant Panda
  5. Brown Bear
  6. Polar Bear
  7. Grey Wolf
  8. African Wild Dog
  9. Red Panda
  10. Meerkat
  11. Raccoon
  12. South American Coati
  13. Asian Small-Clawed Otter
  14. California Sea Lion
  15. Chimpanzee
  16. Western Lowland Gorilla
  17. Bornean Orangutan
  18. Mandrill
  19. Tufted Capuchin
  20. Ring-Tailed Lemur
  21. Hippopotamus
  22. Cape Buffalo
  23. American Bison
  24. Alpine Ibex
  25. Gemsbok
  26. Thomson's Gazelle
  27. Blue Wildebeest
  28. Dromedary Camel
  29. Moose
  30. European Fallow Deer
  31. Reticulated Giraffe
  32. Okapi
  33. Plains Zebra
  34. Przewalski's Horse
  35. Common Warthog
  36. Black Rhinoceros
  37. Indian Rhinoceros
  38. Crested Porcupine
  39. African Bush Elephant
  40. Asian Elephant
  41. Black-Tailed Prairie Dog
  42. Red Kangaroo
  43. Red-Necked Wallaby
  44. Patagonian Mara
  45. Capybara
  46. Common Ostrich
  47. Emu
  48. Greater Rhea
  49. Indian Peafowl
  50. Golden Pheasant
  51. Scarlet Ibis
  52. Greater Flamingo
  53. Mandarin Duck
  54. Black Swan
  55. King Penguin
  56. White Stork
  57. Green Iguana
  58. Komodo Dragon
  59. Nile Crocodile
  60. African Spurred Tortoise
That's 60 habitat animals total and I think it covers most bases.

I really reckon we’ll get more than 60 base game habitat animals for a sequel. With resuing some of the better models from Planet Zoo 1, choosing some easy clones and duplicates to bulk out the roster, I’d say 100 is feasible and likely.

For Habitat Animals:
  • Switch:
    • Springbok -> Thomson's Gazelle
    • HBB + Grizzly -> Brown Bear (probably leave it looking more like a grizzly and make the wolf look more Eurasian to be "fair")
    • Black Wildebeest -> Blue Wildebeest
    • Aldabra Giant Tortoise -> Spurred Tortoise
    • Formosan Black Bear -> Asiatic Black (Moon) Bear
    • Nyala -> Kudu
    • Bonobo -> Siamang
    • Red Deer -> Fallow Deer (It just seems like more of a base game animal.)
    • Black and White Lemur -> Guereza (A bit more unique)
  • Keep: Everything Else
    • Flexible (Should at least be DLC animals, but the base game doesn't need these specifically.): Gharial, Pronghorn, Mandrill, Japanese Macaque, Bactrian Camel, Nile Monitor, Pangolin. I'm not switching them because it makes sense to have some extra stuff for Africa and Asia in the base game. The other regions can catch up in DLCs.
  • Add:
    • South America: Ocelot or Jaguar, At least one monkey, giant anteater, a bird (perhaps the American Flamingo, which could have enrichment with the tortoise), and a camelid. I think the capybara makes a fantastic headliner for a DLC.
      • More than any other pack, I thought the South America pack seemed like an extension of the base game. North America, Europe, and Australia don't have as much relevant diversity, so it makes sense that more stuff would come in DLCs. South America has too much going on to start so far behind.
    • Africa: The white rhino was too basic to exclude.
    • North America: Moose, maybe mountain lion?
    • Australia: Kangaroo or wallaby, emu or cassowary, maybe koala? The base game ought to at least have one each of the first two.
    • Asia: Malayan Tapir?
    • Europe: Wisent
I mostly agree with you. Specially with the replacements. I think jaguar, capybara, kangaroo, capuchin, at least one african rhino, wild boar, alpaca, wisent, swan, cougar, red fox, skunk, Thomson's gazelle, a leopard, a penguin (probably african), polar bear, reindeer, dall sheep, dromedary, all the barnyard animals should be added to base game roster, red crowned crane. I would also add the dama gazelle and somalí wild ass, even the addax so we don't loose them but i wouldn't want to pay for them TWICE.

And then i think a base game should get a baboon, the rhea, american flamingo, a duck, the Nile crocodile, Green iguana as habitat, one of the small caimans, North american River or Eurasia otter, wild turkey, two giraffes, two zebras, Impala and blackbuck.

I'm surprised that you guys think pz2 will have a new roster instead of "pz rooster with 2-4 animals being swapped or removed and some new critters".

Like JWE and JWE2 are our only base and the base roster of JWE2 is the final rooster of JWE1 except for huayango with was on deluxe and the dr. Wu hybrids, plus the three new terrestrial animals.

I'm surprised that you guys think pz2 will have a new roster instead of "pz rooster with 2-4 animals being swapped or removed and some new critters".

Like JWE and JWE2 are our only base and the base roster of JWE2 is the final rooster of JWE1 except for huayango with was on deluxe and the dr. Wu hybrids, plus the three new terrestrial animals.
There is no way they incorporate all DLC animals into the base game roster. They'll be left without nothing big to sell in DLCs.

There is no way they incorporate all DLC animals into the base game roster. They'll be left without nothing big to sell in DLCs.
Yeah thats the big thing. You either s of your exisiting fans by intentionally holding back important animals to sell to them again later or you will have barely anything left for DLCs that the avarage guys is interessted in.

And realisticly speaking the base roster would also need to include aquatics and or aviarys to even warrant a sequel in the first palce. Its just kinda a lose-lose situation overall in my eyes

If we take in acount the tons of popular aviary birds and aquarium animals that exist, plus the remaining birds, primates, carnivores and reptiles left, i'm prety sure they still could sell something big.

Edit: Gotta mention that i'm not a fan of a sequel anyway, if this game ends with more 10 SA animals and 5-8 birds i would be fine and definetilly not interested for a sequel.

Last edited:
People who doesn’t like black wildebeest should read more about their amazing conservation story and how they were brought back from the brink of extinction.
It’s also worth to remember that the mission of the most modern zoos is to save species from extinction with creating their captive population.

The "I already paid for it" concern is such an odd one for me will have passed. Years will have passed. We already know that Frontier's gotten better at everything so... I'd imagine a base game roster would include remastered versions of the original animals, if nothing else. And there's bound to be an improved game engine, different and better mechanics driven by what computers can handle and everything they learned from the first game, or things they couldn't implement from the jump because of the initial engine set-up and what that would do to existing builds, etc.

I get thinking about all the money that went into DLC for this first game. And if a sequel were to drop this year or the next, yeah, I'd get that. But 3-5 years after development ends, the vast majority of people will be more than okay paying for access to some of these animals a second time around so they can be implemented with new models, used with the new features, etc. Because it'll be a very different game in a number of ways. So leaving out animals for DLC will work out just fine.

In that amount of time we'll all probably want/need new computers... It's a remarkably long period of time from a tech perspective.

The "I already paid for it" concern is such an odd one for me will have passed. Years will have passed. We already know that Frontier's gotten better at everything so... I'd imagine a base game roster would include remastered versions of the original animals, if nothing else. And there's bound to be an improved game engine, different and better mechanics driven by what computers can handle and everything they learned from the first game, or things they couldn't implement from the jump because of the initial engine set-up and what that would do to existing builds, etc.

I get thinking about all the money that went into DLC for this first game. And if a sequel were to drop this year or the next, yeah, I'd get that. But 3-5 years after development ends, the vast majority of people will be more than okay paying for access to some of these animals a second time around so they can be implemented with new models, used with the new features, etc. Because it'll be a very different game in a number of ways. So leaving out animals for DLC will work out just fine.

In that amount of time we'll all probably want/need new computers... It's a remarkably long period of time from a tech perspective.
Honestly, I think what would really make a 2nd game worth it isn't the roster alone, but features. Will we have improved management? 1st person game modes?

I don't know. JWE didn't get remasters; the dinosaurs from game 1 look the same
I don't think you can look at JWE as the marker here. Frontier aren't tcalling all the shots on that one. Even down to the DLC dates and timing with other media, it's pretty obvious there's a guiding hand there. Like, the upcoming DLC? I am putting money on that thing coming out right around the time the new NetFlix series drops...

Planet Zoo is their own thing. And they clearly handle their "own things" with much more care and craftsmanship. With Planet Zoo there's a marked difference in animal quality from the base game up until now. There is no world where they don't re-vamp the old animal models for a sequel... You kinda have to.

And, again, by the time a sequel rolls around things will have advanced so it might even be required that they be re-worked.

With such logic there is no reason to continue with PZ1. If animals, which are requested right now are nothing big to sell in sequel DLCs then why bother?
Is not the same. You already have an audiences and big ticket animals in other DLCs. People that already have the game and got the big names keep buying to expand their options if they like the animals. For a new game in a few years you'll get a new audiences. If you have over 200 animals in base game roster and most of them are the moatfamous ones you don't have much to sell in DLCs. Aquarium animals and birds can only go that far. And just like Marvin said you would need some important species in the base game if those features would be there from the start.

I don't think you can look at JWE as the marker here. Frontier aren't tcalling all the shots on that one. Even down to the DLC dates and timing with other media, it's pretty obvious there's a guiding hand there. Like, the upcoming DLC? I am putting money on that thing coming out right around the time the new NetFlix series drops...

Planet Zoo is their own thing. And they clearly handle their "own things" with much more care and craftsmanship. With Planet Zoo there's a marked difference in animal quality from the base game up until now. There is no world where they don't re-vamp the old animal models for a sequel... You kinda have to.

And, again, by the time a sequel rolls around things will have advanced so it might even be required that they be re-worked.
While I do agree, the following question does come up: why haven't they done the remasters already? And it's not like it's impossible; the tapir and binturong and and hyena and dhole are examples. And even the Bactrian got a size boost. So why haven't they done it now, since that'd really give the game a popularity boost

Back
Top Bottom