Distant Worlds II Event Don't go to DW2 start system in Open

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well, competition is about crushing your rivals and taking pleasure in your mastery of them, so the answer would be yes. Not nice, but it is what it is. For the record, I took a great deal of pleasure during yesterday's events, and I'm feeling eminently sane.

ZO

Hmmm... I haven't seen you or your streams/videos in this matter, so if this is unfounded and you went in there with a basic Sidewinder (to compensate for your skill and experience), don't get me wrong. But in which way are new players in lightly (if at all) armed and armoured exploration ships your rivals?

Hmmm... I haven't seen you or your streams/videos in this matter, so if this is unfounded and you went in there with a basic Sidewinder (to compensate for your skill and experience), don't get me wrong. But in which way are new players in lightly (if at all) armed and armoured exploration ships your rivals?

I was speaking to competition in the broader sense, of course, as well as the more localised. As far as what ship I was in...not sure to be honest. Crusader, I think, with all PA's.

Well, competition is about crushing your rivals and taking pleasure in your mastery of them, so the answer would be yes. Not nice, but it is what it is. For the record, I took a great deal of pleasure during yesterday's events, and I'm feeling eminently sane.

ZO

Destroying unprepared ships doesn't show mastery in PvP, destroying prepared ships does.

ZO

Defenseless explorers are your rivals?

Mastery over paper bag ships?

Yes, it is virtual. Keep in mind that many of these people invested a lot of time and energy in preparing their ships, grinding for engineering mats. etc. The launch was a celebration of the culmination of their efforts. And they wanted to celebrate it with others and perhaps new friends. They may not have had time to get into a PG or were just plain naive.

Have any of your stupidities in your past ever been forgiven by others. Were you not grateful?

I guess your cheap laugh was worth making the start of a four month journey miserable for others.

o7

P.S. Love to your dogs.

No, I wasn't competing with the "pigeons" but my friends to see who could shoot the most:)

Well then the analogy doesn't work because the pigeons aren't your rivals and in the case of ED it's more about who has the biggest guns and luck (thanks instancing), not the biggest skill.

If your metric were to be correct, Harry Potter would probably win the contest even though there are better PvPers out there.

I see two problems with your argument:

1) Beating another player can only be winnig if this happens while adhering to the rules of the game. True for open, no argument from me here. But false for a PG where the rules state otherwise.

2) And even that only applies if this game has been designed to win, and the rules for the game contain a criterium for "winnig". But what is this criterium in ED? Killing the most other players? Collecting all ships? Being triple Elite? Finding a ringed earth-like world as the moon of a glowing gas giant, orbiting a neutron star? Befriending an alien race? ...

In short - I don't consider killing another player in arbitrary PvP "winning". It can be if that kill is in a specific context, but doesn't have to.

Perhaps you are right. Killing another ship in PvP might not be the correct definition of winning in combat. Who's to say, right? It's simply unknowable. Perhaps "being killed" is actually winning and we've been wrong all along. In that case, the explorers of DW2, with their hundreds of deaths, have emerged the clear winners, so there is no need for any further complaints. In fact, by dying in such large numbers they had an unfair advantage over my forces because we didn't have enough ships to die that many times, making it impossible for us to "win". And setting up an impossible PvP situation against other players is griefing. Therefore, the explorers of DW2 are clearly griefers.

Thank you for your insights.

Last edited:
Perhaps you are right. Killing another ship in PvP might not be the correct definition of winning in combat. Who's to say, right? It's simply unknowable. Perhaps "being killed" is actually winning and we've been wrong all along. In that case, the explorers of DW2, with their hundreds of deaths, have emerged the clear winners, so there is no need for any further complaints.

Explorers clearly were the winners - we managed to take the servers with us, leaving the PVP crowd stranded in the dark.

Well then the analogy doesn't work because the pigeons aren't your rivals and in the case of ED it's more about who has the biggest guns and luck (thanks instancing), not the biggest skill.

If your metric were to be correct, Harry Potter would probably win the contest even though there are better PvPers out there.

Oh, there's no doubt that Harry was pro level yesterday. I'm strictly amateur compared to those guys. Yesterday was the first time I've flown in over six months, not even sure what ship I was in haha.

Sanctioned or not.
Virtual or not.
Is being entertained by another's sorrow even sane?

Why do you assume my actions are motivated by a desire to inflict sorrow upon others? I have spent years explaining my motivations to the galactic community, which include:

My ambition to unify all humanity under a single, harmonious government and to end the horrors of rampant factionism...

My push to overcome widespread technological obstructionism, automatonphobia, and anthropocentricism by birthing, raising and feeding a sentient artificial intelligence...

My crusade to stop the Fuel Rats and others from expediting the heat death of the universe, therby saving billions of future lives...

My vision for a prosperous Eravate, free of illegal invaders that enter the system without proper authorization...

My efforts to create and enforce a customary, galaxy-wide pilots salute to help increase commradery amongst all commanders...

My utilization of Guardian mind-reading tech to pre-emptively eliminate criminals before they act, in order to increase public safety...

My staging of a fair, democratic nomination process for myself to be made leader of the Pilots Federation (during Aisling Duval's mysterious disappearance).

None of this is "being entertained by another's sorrow." Instead, my motives are best described as altruistic, magnanimous, beneficent. Is it sane to be as giving and self-sacrificing as I? Perhaps not. But it is the cross I bear, nonetheless.

Last edited:
I don't believe there are that many really new players who join DW2.

PS4 discord/reddit/wateva seems to have a bunch of recent void opal magnates asking q's about DW2.

New, even compared to me. Few weeks old accounts.

So I'm not sure this is true, I think there might be some new player interest via timing the chapter 4 and DW2 being relatively close together.

Last edited:
No, I wasn't competing with the "pigeons" but my friends to see who could shoot the most:)

Fair enough. Don't be disappointed when all the pigeons won't hold still. I play open and left Saturday arriving Omega Mining Sunday night. Proper op sec states the best way to slip a punch is to not be there.
It's a big galaxy commander, and if want to kill a pigeon you gotta find it first. Now I'm sitting in Omega station. When will I leave and where will I go? Not with the herd you may count on that. You've got 4000 jumps ahead of you if you can stand it. 4000 chances to kill a ghost called Paladin if you can just lay your hands on it. After Colonia you are on my turf, in my playground. I don't need guns, and won't bother killing you. I'll just leave you alone with the tedium of the deep till the space madness takes hold. Meanwhile I'll wrap the black about me like a cloak. I'm in my element. You are not.

The bullies are merely exploiting the system, just as I exploited the persistent HGEs.

Unless Frontier is actually pressured enough to actually implement a C&P which can discriminate between deliberate bullying and accidental behavior, as well as meaningfully punish deliberate bullying whilst avoiding draconian punishment for accidental behavior, discussions like this are probably not going to help much. I have yet to accept this myself.

Hyperbole commencing:

Ever wanted to be an Intergalactic BULLY?
Well then Elite Dangerous is THE GAME for YOU!

Remember when you were a kid in school and wished you could be That Bully That Everyone Feared?

Well You can be That Bully Right NOW!

For only 29.99 you can slaughter defenseless Actual Human Beings anywhere in The Entire Milky Galaxy!

Blaze your own Trail

In Blood!

No Consequences!
No Punishment!

Buy Elite Now!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!

o7

:)

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom