Dove Enigma UA bombed, preventing completion of its voyage in time for the man it was named for.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Who's more toxic? Those UA bombing a megaship that is subject to the same game rules as every other megaship/station/outpost.. or those screaming for bans, special treatment or even witch-hunts/doxxing? It's pretty clear to me.

Maybe if this whole thing was to honour someone with a terminal condition, Fdev should have just used one of the non-landable megaship assets and would therefore not be subject to potential player-interference.

It's clear to me too, a clearly coordinated, possibly involving cheats, UA bombing of this particular target stinks to high heaven more than asking Frontier to do something about it or calling out those responsible.

As the Internet matures and we as a species become more accustomed to the social compression global instantaneous communication affords, I think we can collectively mature along with it.

indeed. but the circle of life never ends. a really big portion of this thread shows pure adolescence, immaturity and overreaction. the hysteria broke already in the first dozen pages while still nobody had a clue what the consequences to the event were. by when it was clear that absolutely none (well, at least to those able to rub two braincells together (c) ziggy), it was already too late and the manhunt was on. it even spread to 'teh media'!

Insert something profound here. :p

a pit. we're in a bottomless pit.

Lol. Ok. I'm in the minority, so I must be wrong. I wonder how any civil rights movement ever would feel about that sentiment. If you're asking Frontier to punish behavior simply because it makes you feel bad, you're acting like a child.

Exploits are, of course, a different story. And should be handled appropriately. But what's the difference? A little bit of extra time for the UA bombers to fill the holds? They went all the way to Colonia to pull this off. A few more hours of UA gathering is nothing.

So you condone morally bankrupt behaviour and condone cheating if it 'doesn't make much difference', gotcha.

It's clear to me too, a clearly coordinated, possibly involving cheats, UA bombing of this particular target stinks to high heaven more than asking Frontier to do something about it or calling out those responsible.

By 'calling out', do you mean naming & shaming or doxxing or what? Because the latter is worse than anything that happens in-game..

So you condone morally bankrupt behaviour and condone cheating if it 'doesn't make much difference', gotcha.

You obviously didn't read the part where I said, quoting here, "Exploits are, of course, a different story. And should be handled appropriately." My point was that the station would have been bombed regardless of an exploit.

Once again, you call this UA bombing "morally bankrupt" and use armchair psychology as a platform to punish. There's no requirement to be a nice person in elite dangerous. Simple as that. The actions taken in game come NO WHERE NEAR the definition of bullying or harassment of any individual or group

Lol. Ok. I'm in the minority, so I must be wrong. I wonder how any civil rights movement ever would feel about that sentiment. If you're asking Frontier to punish behavior simply because it makes you feel bad, you're acting like a child.

Exploits are, of course, a different story. And should be handled appropriately. But what's the difference? A little bit of extra time for the UA bombers to fill the holds? They went all the way to Colonia to pull this off. A few more hours of UA gathering is nothing.

You ask who cares, someone answers your question which to be fair was bit of a silly one. You only really need to read two or three pages to see that lots of people do. And quite a lot.

But that’s cool. Because now you’re basically a civil rights activist. The Rosa Parks of Dangerous Discussions.

Keep fighting the good fight! :D

You obviously didn't read the part where I said, quoting here, "Exploits are, of course, a different story. And should be handled appropriately." My point was that the station would have been bombed regardless of an exploit.

Once again, you call this UA bombing "morally bankrupt" and use armchair psychology as a platform to punish. There's no requirement to be a nice person in elite dangerous. Simple as that. The actions taken in game come NO WHERE NEAR the definition of bullying or harassment of any individual or group

Just a quick question - are you actually aware of why the Dove Enigma exists? And why this action, taken at this time, might be seen by some as morally reprehensible?

By 'calling out', do you mean naming & shaming or doxxing or what? Because the latter is worse than anything that happens in-game..

I mean 'calling out' - i.e. - 'the people doing and/or defending this are acting like male genitalia' - as for the doxxing can you back that up at all? - if it's idle threats, meh, if it's happened then of course two wrongs do not make a right.

'Armchair psychology' - yeah, yeah, sadly, when the only thing folk have to go on about people is the action of the UA bombing itself or the condoning of the UA bombing on a 'target' like this said people shouldn't really be surprised when they are considered muppets.

Last edited:
o7 HMS Enigmatic Hope has arrived at Colonia. I lost my original 51t of Meta Alloys down the 17t MAs turned in. Better than nothing, mistakes were made along the journey. 11am CST start time on Tuesday, finished with only 2 breaks at 5am on Wednesday. Eat that UA Bombers! ... I now must go sleep off my space madness, Im seeing stars and starting to feel a little nausea from buckyballing over 700 jumps in less than a 24 hour period...

JHXbK9T
JHXbK9T
JHXbK9T
JHXbK9T.jpg

o7 HMS Enigmatic Hope has arrived at Colonia. I lost my original 51t of Meta Alloys down the 17t MAs turned in. Better than nothing, mistakes were made along the journey. 11am CST start time on Tuesday, finished with only 2 breaks at 5am on Wednesday. Eat that UA Bombers! ... I now must go sleep off my space madness, Im seeing stars and starting to feel a little nausea from buckyballing over 700 jumps in less than a 24 hour period...

A noble effort, Commander.

May your space madness quickly abate and the stars light your way. :cool:

You ask who cares, someone answers your question which to be fair was bit of a silly one. You only really need to read two or three pages to see that lots of people do. And quite a lot.

But that’s cool. Because now you’re basically a civil rights activist. The Rosa Parks of Dangerous Discussions.

Keep fighting the good fight! :D

To clarify, your answer is that there's tons and tons of other do-gooders who want to see these people punished for feelings crimes. Right? I'm mean, they're all over this thread.

I ask again. Who cares. I'm of course speaking collectively to everyone who demands Frontier take action. I'm pretty sure you already know that. Or did you think I though there was only one person calling for that here?

Yes, we all were foolish to think that, surely, trying to sweeten the last few ED days of a very ill man would be met by everyone's empathy.
Because, what is or isn't allowed in a computer game clearly is so much more important.
And i am not even sure how sarcastic or serious i meant that.
No, there is no requirement to be a nice person in Elite, it's not forbidden either though btw.
What you fail to grasp is that it never was about Elite, it was about a man.

Last edited:

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Right then Ladies and Gentlemen.

Quite simply...knock it off. No more arguing, bickering or insults please.

Thanks

Just a quick question - are you actually aware of why the Dove Enigma exists? And why this action, taken at this time, might be seen by some as morally reprehensible?

Yes, I am fully aware of who DE is and why this campaign exists.

I'm also fully aware that the people who did this are giant johnsons. Alas, not a crime. Not harassment. Not bullying. Not against the EULA.

The entirety of my posts in this thread are simply to call out the Social Police as having no leg to stand on and should move on to something else . For instance, I hear the Imperial rank system is still the most sexist thing since the wage gap.

Who's more toxic? Those UA bombing a megaship that is subject to the same game rules as every other megaship/station/outpost.. or those screaming for bans, special treatment or even witch-hunts/doxxing? It's pretty clear to me.

Maybe if this whole thing was to honour someone with a terminal condition, Fdev should have just used one of the non-landable megaship assets and would therefore not be subject to potential player-interference.

this.

'Get a life' - really? - you don't think a coordinated cheat attack on a target such as this is more worthy of requiring a life than being urinated off about it? - and yes a video game, but this particular incident is very much about RL too.

I’d just like to add that a lot of people play games to escape from RL issues. Is it fair to throw all the misery that RL can sometimes hold into the game for people to somehow deal with?

It’s certainly not what I’d expect from a game.

From this standpoint I fundamentally disagree with FD placing tributes to players in game. This is no disrespect to the situation of Cmdr Dove just my opinion.

However I recognise that this is now a ‘thing’ but hope FD and everyone will learn from this and be happy from now with static non playable tributes or simple renamings.

Of course players can organise whatever tributes and events they wish to in the scope of the game and I wish the current expedition and MA delivery event all the very best.

Last edited:
To clarify, your answer is that there's tons and tons of other do-gooders who want to see these people punished for feelings crimes. Right? I'm mean, they're all over this thread.

I ask again. Who cares. I'm of course speaking collectively to everyone who demands Frontier take action. I'm pretty sure you already know that. Or did you think I though there was only one person calling for that here?

You got that from my post?

Wow. Ok. Short sentences then.

I meant that: your question was daft. The answer was obvious. The civil rights comparison absurd.

Nothing beyond that. Clear?

For the future, it might be to the common good for Frontier to not get involved in humanitarian or other positive gestures which use the game itself as a delivery system. The rules as presently written turn it into something of a social laboratory for rules-savvy individuals with a taste for salt and drama, and Frontier, for whatever reason, have shown no inclination to update them.

By all means, support a good cause outside the game; Piranha Games did so with the "Sara's Jenner" initiative, and EVE does so on a fairly regular basis. Just don't bring it into it. One person's sincere gesture of goodwill to a man dying of cancer is another's opportunity for exposure and Machiavellianism, as it were, when the platform rules are written with loopholes that permit it.

All the best to Dove and his family, and to the pilots who are supporting them.

Yes, I am fully aware of who DE is and why this campaign exists.

I'm also fully aware that the people who did this are giant johnsons. Alas, not a crime. Not harassment. Not bullying. Not against the EULA.

The entirety of my posts in this thread are simply to call out the Social Police as having no leg to stand on and should move on to something else . For instance, I hear the Imperial rank system is still the most sexist thing since the wage gap.

I hope if I go through your post history I will find you calling out people for going to the press regarding the far more trivial subject of combat logging. I hope if I look through your post history you haven't been doing the armchair psychology thing yourself, (sadly you already have in this thread after questioning it). And I certainly hope if I go through your post history you aren't up in arms about any far more trivial subjects yourself.

Because lets face it, if I do go through your post history and any of that exists that would make you a massive bloody hypocrite and pretty much invalidate anything you have or will state here.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom