Dove Enigma UA bombed, preventing completion of its voyage in time for the man it was named for.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The main reason for this outrage is not because of the game mechanics (you can go through the gigs of discussion on this elsewhere). It is over the fact that there are some in this community who would like to ruin a terminal cancer patients last few weeks in the game before they pass. The fact that because someone is dying and that they get special treatment for it seems to have got some troll get jealous of the attention. Maybe we all had the hoped that the community might be better than this but I guess not, especially when people seem to agree with the trolls who are undertaking this action.
Agree 100%. Picking up some MAs and going out there now.

It's time for a role call. Let's see how many of you losing your minds in this thread are actually on their way out to colonia with ma's, and let's see how many are just talk.

I'm on my way with my python stuffed to the gills.

Hoping to be departing Thursday with 650 tonnes in my Cutter.

Just so. The reason trolling is so common is because it works. If it didn't, it would be pointless.

I think we can both appreciate the apparent futility of counseling against falling prey to it, as doing so most certainly won't end it. But I'm not convinced that such efforts are truly in vain.

As the Internet matures and we as a species become more accustomed to the social compression global instantaneous communication affords, I think we can collectively mature along with it.

Knowledge is power, and shared freely, our power grows. Even if total success is not assured, partial success is better than no success at all.

The most distant of goals are often the most worthy, and though one pebble does not a mountain make, with enough hands placing them, a mountain may form.

Or something like that.

Insert something profound here. :p
Repped for having faith in humanity :)

For the future, it might be to the common good for Frontier to not get involved in humanitarian or other positive gestures which use the game itself as a delivery system. The rules as presently written turn it into something of a social laboratory for rules-savvy individuals with a taste for salt and drama, and Frontier, for whatever reason, have shown no inclination to update them.

By all means, support a good cause outside the game; Piranha Games did so with the "Sara's Jenner" initiative, and EVE does so on a fairly regular basis. Just don't bring it into it. One person's sincere gesture of goodwill to a man dying of cancer is another's opportunity for exposure and Machiavellianism, as it were, when the platform rules are written with loopholes that permit it.

All the best to Dove and his family, and to the pilots who are supporting them.

Agreed. FDev have laid out their shop - people have clearly breached the EULA and they're doing nothing, only faffing around the edges around an exploit.

A little unsurprised at the community - severely disappointed with FDev.

Yes, if I were FD I’d avoid all such ‘memorial’ requests in future. They have been kind enough to do a few, I believe. But ED is an online game where, depending on your view, things can go ‘wrong’.

Avoid the entire mine-field by never doing anything like this again.

Yes, I am fully aware of who DE is and why this campaign exists.

I'm also fully aware that the people who did this are giant johnsons.

Agreed.

Alas, not a crime.

Agreed.

Not harassment. Not bullying.

That's where we differ. It may not be harassment or bullying in the legal sense of the term, but the real-world consequences certainly fall under that general banner. In my world there are certain things you simply do not do, and deliberately making the life of a sick person worse simply because you can and you crave the attention is one of them.

Not against the EULA.

I don't care about the EULA unless an exploit was used.

As someone else said above, this isn't about a game. This is about a person.

Not against the EULA.

It's against the EULA

7.3 Communication and interaction with other users
7.3.1 The Game and/or Online Features may allow communications between users by means including but not limited to text and voice. When using such features you must use common sense and good manners, your behaviour, conduct and communications must be considerate to other users and you must not be directly or indirectly offensive, threatening, harassing or bullying to others or violate any applicable laws including but not limited to anti-discrimination legislation based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

This is as inconsiderate as it gets. A line should have been drawn, they've refused.

I hope if I go through your post history I will find you calling out people for going to the press regarding the far more trivial subject of combat logging. I hope if I look through your post history you haven't been doing the armchair psychology thing yourself, (sadly you already have in this thread after questioning it). And I certainly hope if I go through your post history you aren't up in arms about any far more trivial subjects yourself.

Because lets face it, if I do go through your post history and any of that exists that would make you a massive bloody hypocrite and pretty much invalidate anything you have or will state here.

Go on through it then. Have some buddies double check if you want.

It's against the EULA

This is as inconsiderate as it gets. A line should have been drawn, they've refused.

UA bombing a station violates nothing in the EULA. Thank you for quoting it here as proof though. Or are you saying that selling UAs at a black market is a form of communication.....

Go on through it then. Have some buddies double check if you want.

I really don't need to mate, I'll make a wild stab in the dark that you didn't condone SDC for going to the press over not seeing an explosion, I'll hazard a guess that you are as guilty as anyone over 'armchair psychology', and I'll bet my house on you getting riled up over far more trivial issues than this.

So, with all due respect, I'm not going to take my cues from you regarding what does and does not matter, what is or isn't important and certainly not over when this is 'just a game' and when it isn't.

UA bombing a station violates nothing in the EULA. Thank you for quoting it here as proof though. Or are you saying that selling UAs at a black market is a form of communication.....

Remember you're just playing that kind of person in game.

Actions speak louder than words.

ps. for clarity
including but not limited to text and voice

Last edited:

Yes, THIS and in general - good that there is some drama with CGs, CG's needs it to be interesting!
I stooped doing CG long time ago, because they are simply boring and there is no any interesting counter-CG to make them interesting...
Usually CGs are just simple grind to make some money for Cmdrs who needs it...

Yes, THIS and in general - good that there is some drama with CGs, CG's needs it to be interesting!
I stooped doing CG long time ago, because they are simply boring and there is no any interesting counter-CG to make them interesting...
Usually CGs are just simple grind to make some money for Cmdrs who needs it...

This isn't a CG. This was a charity expedition.

I will be spending some of tonight running defence for a CMDR who is unlocking Selene Jean, but then after that I will spend a few hours collecting and buying as many Meta Alloys between my 2 accounts load them on to one account and then start hauling them out there.

My Anaconda will make the trip but will need to look at numbers tonight, but even if I only get 30Ly or less out of it with 300 to 400 tons of Meta Alloys then so be it, and I will start jumping out there on Saturday or Sunday.

Yes, if I were FD I’d avoid all such ‘memorial’ requests in future. They have been kind enough to do a few, I believe. But ED is an online game where, depending on your view, things can go ‘wrong’.

Avoid the entire mine-field by never doing anything like this again.

I'm a bit surprised Frontier went with a megaship instead of a tourist beacon. Beacons have been used to commemorate other big expeditions, and they communicate much more than a ship with someone's name on it. Future players will have no idea why that ship is significant, whereas a beacon would have provided some context.

Also, you can't UA a beacon.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom