Drew Wagar's Thoughts

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
(I think all the lore we're currently getting is limited to Horizons, given not all players have access to Odyssey namely console players - I believe FDev stated this at some point but can't remember precisely).
I think I can almost hear someone at FDev hastily scrabbling that on a post-it.

Has Elite lost its soul?

Discuss!
Well Leo, that is certainly a question. It's a very hard one to answer though. And one might argue it's an intentionally vague claim made to express anger and discontent that something isn't going the way you want. The best part of this argument is that it cannot be rationalized or defended. Because a "Soul" is a nebulous concept enough in a religious context, but in a secular context it's virtually meaningless.

Well Leo, that is certainly a question. It's a very hard one to answer though. And one might argue it's an intentionally vague claim made to express anger and discontent that something isn't going the way you want. The best part of this argument is that it cannot be rationalized or defended. Because a "Soul" is a nebulous concept enough in a religious context, but in a secular context it's virtually meaningless.

I concur and it even opens up the question as to whether a game in all its ones and zeros has a soul.

Without being too unkind, he'd confirmed that Odyssey wasn't taking the game in a direction he liked (I'm being very polite) in the first 2 minutes. The following 50 minutes or so were justifying his opinion.

But he is doing a farewell tour, in Horizons, for his fans, so it wasn't an immediate evacuation from Elite: Dangerous, just the announcement of such.
Is he actually doing a farewell tour! I thought that was just a joke made in the Galnet News video spoof thingy.

I watch the soul video. Quick sum up of the argument made that I took away, obvioulsy as a summary missing some stuff. I am only human.

Games can have a soul - if you give them lore (and some other things I cannot remember).
Odyssey takes the game in a direction away from the 5 pillars that are common first 3 games, by adding on foot.
Not well implemented at the moment,, he believes FD can iron that out - but ultimately FPS is not for him.
He talks about expanding the 5 pillars (ships, space combat, trading, lore -sandbox/blaze your own trail) would be his preference.
Because Odyssey needs work, the 5 pillars will be left to stagnate - and for him there is nothing left for him to do in those 5 areas that he wants to do. This leads to his conclusion time to move on.

Not going to comment on style, I like Drew's videos.

Do not agree (even on lore), but his argument is put together well, and is consistent.

Thanks
Simon

Surface textures might look better, but what about the elevation map - I've read that planets are more flat than ever...?
The elevation map is different.

It's less extreme than the Horizons one could be on low-mass icy moons - I've not seen the multiple-kilometres-deep steep-sided canyons at all, and the mountains seem smaller too. On the other hand, metal-rich potato bodies seem even less regular than in Horizons, and the higher-gravity bodies seem to have more varied terrain as well.

Elsewhere, it very much depends on the scale you look at it - the kilometre-level variation is smaller than Horizons had, but the 100m-level variation is much more significant. If you're driving (or walking) around, the elevation map has a lot more terrain types to it (though does miss both the properly-giant canyons and decent volcano/crater overlap terrain) ... if you're flying a few kilometres up, it'll look a lot less varied. I fought in a CZ that was at a base inside a not-as-deep-as-Horizons-but-still-pretty-deep canyon network, and that was pretty impressive.

There's definitely aspects of the Horizons terrain that I miss and hope that they're able to include later, but if your purpose for landing on a planet is to get out of the ship and drive around, or even just to fly at skimmer height above it, then it's much better than the Horizons generator overall.

The industry never learns from mistakes I feel. I think it is probably better to remind the players that they were lied to by Publisher A, Dev B, Media Shill C multiple times already so they need not get hyped and just wait after release and see what's really there instead of preordering black boxes blindly.

I had about 900 hours in Elite when Odyssey was launched announced, and I preordered the deluxe version of the expansion on the 23rd of December.

My money was a vote for 'please keep making elite dangerous content', nothing more. If the expansion was unplayable or buggy on release, there was still Horizons.

Having said that I now have over 4200 hours in Elite, most in Odyssey, so my preorder paid off. (i7-6700k, 1660ti, 32gb ram)

If they launched a kickstarter or fundraiser or whatever to raise $x to give us ship cockpits we could walk around in, I'd contribute even though I don't care about ship cockpits or interiors.

Why? Because I have thousands of games in my steam library, but Elite is the one I want to see developed a long time into the future. I don't care what they're working on in Elite, to be honest, because I look forward to every new thing, even if it may not be my thing.

The more people buying and playing, the more funds they can allocate to develop and add more stuff, and the more every player benefits.

Last edited:
I had about 900 hours in Elite when Odyssey was launched, and I preordered the deluxe version of the expansion on the 23rd of December.

My money was a vote for 'please keep making elite dangerous content', nothing more. If the expansion was unplayable or buggy on release, there was still Horizons.

Having said that I now have over 4200 hours in Elite, most in Odyssey, so my preorder paid off. (i7-6700k, 1660ti, 32gb ram)

If they launched a kickstarter or fundraiser or whatever to raise $x to give us ship cockpits we could walk around in, I'd contribute even though I don't care about ship cockpits or interiors.

Why? Because I have thousands of games in my steam library, but Elite is the one I want to see developed a long time into the future. I don't care what they're working on in Elite, to be honest, because I look forward to every new thing, even if it may not be my thing.

The more people buying and playing, the more funds they can allocate to develop and add more stuff, and the more every player benefits.
I don't care what you're voting on. I care if I get delivered unfinished products after paying full price.

I had about 900 hours in Elite when Odyssey was launched (...)

Having said that I now have over 4200 hours in Elite, most in Odyssey, so my preorder paid off.
Is there a typo somewhere or do you leave it running in the background all day long? Maybe my maths are off, but that's quite a significant number of hours per day.

Is there a typo somewhere or do you leave it running in the background all day long? Maybe my maths are off, but that's quite a significant number of hours per day.

I took this year off. Plenty of time to play.

ETA: Over the past 20 years I wrote and published a couple of dozen novels and developed a few Windows apps. Eventually it wears you down, so you leave it all in maintenance mode and go off to recharge.

Last edited:
(4200-900) / 5 months / 30 days = 22 hours/day. Sabbatical or not, that's a lot.

I did 400 hours just in the Alpha

And there's a gap in the math, because I had 900 when I preordered Odyssey in December, but 1200 by the time the Alpha was launched.

So that's 1600 hours by the time Odyssey was actually released.

ETA: I don't do that AFK T10 stuff either. If it's running I'm playing, aside from waiting for carrier jumps.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom