In-Development E.D.I.S.O.N - Orbital and surface navigation / Waypoints

Thanks Maxine, it's looking good.
One suggestion. In view of the accuracy difficulties when the target is being approached, it would be helpful to show target lat/long on the overlay screen I think. Say just above the left/right arrows.

Thanks Maxine, it's looking good.
One suggestion. In view of the accuracy difficulties when the target is being approached, it would be helpful to show target lat/long on the overlay screen I think. Say just above the left/right arrows.

The inaccuracy is not that big (if the correct radius is used) that it should create problems.

There is a problem of overshooting your target, but that is caused by the update interval of the status.json file.

Nevertheless, I will think about your suggestion.

Gidday Maxine,

A really interesting app, using on screen OCR, wow... will be trying it out while moving through DW2.

So, I had this thought , could it be used to detect the fuel scooping status info near stars.
With a plan to make a fuel scoop control computer to hold the ship at optimum distant
while not over heating....??

kind regards, Alan

Hey, just wanted to say thank you so much for taking the time to make this great app. Just gave it a try and i like it.

I was just heading to my destination, and decided to stop by a different planet because I had a mission there, and i had navigation on and it started telling me that i was 5km away from my destination, when in fact, I wasn't even on the right planet. Is there a way to make E.D.I.S.O.N understand which planet you are on, and have it understand if its the target planet or not? I don't want to have to keep turning navigation on and off, but i keep hearing the text to speech directions even when i'm not on the destination planet.

Thanks again.

Gidday Maxine,

A really interesting app, using on screen OCR, wow... will be trying it out while moving through DW2.

So, I had this thought , could it be used to detect the fuel scooping status info near stars.
With a plan to make a fuel scoop control computer to hold the ship at optimum distant
while not over heating....??

kind regards, Alan

Hi algwat,

since Elite Dangerous provides all nesscary information in the easly accessbile status.json file, EDISON no longer uses OCR.
Regardless, your suggestion, as cool as it may be, sounds very much like an autopilot and as far as I know FDev does not allow these.

o7
Maxine

Last edited:
Hey, just wanted to say thank you so much for taking the time to make this great app. Just gave it a try and i like it.

Thank you! :)

I was just heading to my destination, and decided to stop by a different planet because I had a mission there, and i had navigation on and it started telling me that i was 5km away from my destination, when in fact, I wasn't even on the right planet. Is there a way to make E.D.I.S.O.N understand which planet you are on, and have it understand if its the target planet or not? I don't want to have to keep turning navigation on and off, but i keep hearing the text to speech directions even when i'm not on the destination planet.

E.D.I.S.O.N knows which planet you are on and since you can enter system and body in the destination control it would be easy to avoid unnessecary navigation instructions.

I will fix this in the next release.

o7
Maxine

Is this program still supported? I can't get it to work no matter what I do. Under course, it says "Current position unknown/invalid."
I took a look at the "Status.json" and didn't see anything that looked like positional data for the program to read.

Is this program still supported? I can't get it to work no matter what I do. Under course, it says "Current position unknown/invalid."
I took a look at the "Status.json" and didn't see anything that looked like positional data for the program to read.

I can't get it to work either.

Neither 5.1 beta or 4.0 is working for me.

I checked and could not find any problems on my side.

Please check the settings on tab "Log Source" if EDISON selected the correct status.json file.

Note, that the positional data is present only if in orbit or on the surface AND you are still in the game. If you exit to menu or desktop there will be no positional data in the file.

Nice updates! Sorry I've been away from Elite for a bit and didn't check in on the forums until now.

I've just updated my spreadsheet here so the CSV export can be used for Edison. Also added 8 new locations that have been found and a bunch of the Crystalline Shards locations since those have so many high grade raw mats.

188 locations now in total. Less than before because I've removed some of the volcanic activity ones that weren't interesting, with the new mapping tools those are easier to find anyway. I've also removed most duplicates like with the many locations on Baton's plantation moon, trying to trim it down to just interesting surface locations.

Edit: updated a bit more.

@Cmdr Maxine Slayton
Things I noticed in 5.1 beta version:
  • The csv 'save as' exports the X,Y,Z values (if you've used the 'calculate distance to sun' button on some entries), but when importing it ignores the X,Y,Z columns. Would be great if it also imported those so you wouldn't have to recheck all entries after importing a backup or shared csv file. --- I've included the X,Y,Z values on my spreadsheet (csv-export link is on instructions tab) if you need a file to test with.
  • The 'calculate distance to sun' button says it will work on a current selection, and it does, but only if you selected rows from the first column (so entire rows are selected). If a user selects multiple rows just in the distance to sol column (so just those cells), then it only works on the most bottom one in the selection. Not really a bug but more of a usability thing that might be confusing, it took me a bit to figure out I needed to select entire rows using only the first column for selections to work.

Last edited:
o7 Maxine, i have a minor problem that, i'm sure, arise from my peculiar built but if you could help me sort it out that would great.
i use 3 separate monitor in an eyefinity set-up but the 2 to the side are smaller than the main and thus i have some kind of blind spot in the upper left and right corner of the screen. problem is that the overlay always places itself in the upper left corner where i can't see it, thus i'm not able to drag it in a more appropriate position without losing a lot of time trying to guess where it is. yes i still have the voice but i find useful to have a visual indicator. trying to select and drag it from the app bar doesn't work for reason i'm too dumb to understand and every time i turn off edison the app seems to reset itself to the original position.
what can i do to solve this thing?

Source: https://imgur.com/a/f9o5YuD

The 'calculate distance to sun' button says it will wo
Nice updates! Sorry I've been away from Elite for a bit and didn't check in on the forums until now.

I've just updated my spreadsheet here so the CSV export can be used for Edison. Also added 8 new locations that have been found and a bunch of the Crystalline Shards locations since those have so many high grade raw mats.

188 locations now in total. Less than before because I've removed some of the volcanic activity ones that weren't interesting, with the new mapping tools those are easier to find anyway. I've also removed most duplicates like with the many locations on Baton's plantation moon, trying to trim it down to just interesting surface locations.

Edit: updated a bit more.

@Cmdr Maxine Slayton
Things I noticed in 5.1 beta version:
  • The csv 'save as' exports the X,Y,Z values (if you've used the 'calculate distance to sun' button on some entries), but when importing it ignores the X,Y,Z columns. Would be great if it also imported those so you wouldn't have to recheck all entries after importing a backup or shared csv file. --- I've included the X,Y,Z values on my spreadsheet (csv-export link is on instructions tab) if you need a file to test with.
  • The 'calculate distance to sun' button says it will work on a current selection, and it does, but only if you selected rows from the first column (so entire rows are selected). If a user selects multiple rows just in the distance to sol column (so just those cells), then it only works on the most bottom one in the selection. Not really a bug but more of a usability thing that might be confusing, it took me a bit to figure out I needed to select entire rows using only the first column for selections to work.

Thank you, DaftMav. Glad you like the updates.

I will look into the issues you mentioned.

o7 Maxine, i have a minor problem that, i'm sure, arise from my peculiar built but if you could help me sort it out that would great.
i use 3 separate monitor in an eyefinity set-up but the 2 to the side are smaller than the main and thus i have some kind of blind spot in the upper left and right corner of the screen. problem is that the overlay always places itself in the upper left corner where i can't see it, thus i'm not able to drag it in a more appropriate position without losing a lot of time trying to guess where it is. yes i still have the voice but i find useful to have a visual indicator. trying to select and drag it from the app bar doesn't work for reason i'm too dumb to understand and every time i turn off edison the app seems to reset itself to the original position.
what can i do to solve this thing?

o7 mrmauz,

let's see if we can get this working.

I trust you are using the latest version. If not, please update to version 5.1.

EDISON should remember the last position the OSD was in.
Please have a look at the 'user.config' file. It should be located in
'C:\Users\ <yourUsernameHere>\AppData\Local\Ashragon_Inc\Edison.exe_Url_<randomChars>\3.0.0.0'.

There could be more than one folder named 'Edison.exe_Url_<randomChars>'. Please locate the latest one using the 'last modified' date.
Or you could exit EDISON, delete all folders and restart. This way you will end up with only one folder, though you will loose some settings.

The file 'user.config' should contain a segment like this (only if the overlay had been displayed once):
<setting name="OverlayFormLocation" serializeAs="String"> <value>776, 284</value> </setting>

The values mark the x and y coordinates of the OSDs top left corner on your screen.

Use this tool to determine the coordinates of the location, where you want the OSD to be displayed and update the 'user.config' accordingly.
(Make sure EDISON is not running while editing the file otherwise your changes will be overwritten.)

Finally run EDISON and test if the OSD is displayed at the correct location.

Good luck and please contact me again, if it doesn't work out.

Regards
Maxine

o7 mrmauz,

let's see if we can get this working.

I trust you are using the latest version. If not, please update to version 5.1.

EDISON should remember the last position the OSD was in.
Please have a look at the 'user.config' file. It should be located in
'C:\Users\ <yourUsernameHere>\AppData\Local\Ashragon_Inc\Edison.exe_Url_<randomChars>\3.0.0.0'.

There could be more than one folder named 'Edison.exe_Url_<randomChars>'. Please locate the latest one using the 'last modified' date.
Or you could exit EDISON, delete all folders and restart. This way you will end up with only one folder, though you will loose some settings.

The file 'user.config' should contain a segment like this (only if the overlay had been displayed once):
<setting name="OverlayFormLocation" serializeAs="String"> <value>776, 284</value> </setting>

The values mark the x and y coordinates of the OSDs top left corner on your screen.

Use this tool to determine the coordinates of the location, where you want the OSD to be displayed and update the 'user.config' accordingly.
(Make sure EDISON is not running while editing the file otherwise your changes will be overwritten.)

Finally run EDISON and test if the OSD is displayed at the correct location.

Good luck and please contact me again, if it doesn't work out.

Regards
Maxine
thanks a lot that seems to have done the job.weird things i had not the Ashragon_inc folder but only the one without the underscore.
deleted that one and the main folder, reinstalled and launched once the app, and bum it was there.
really appreciated your help, thanks again
o7

I just updated and discovered the wonderful list of sites you've added with the Import function. That's really nice, thanks!

Top Bottom