ED and the Oculus Rift Developers Kit 2 (DK2) Discussion Thread

Got a question in regards to OR and making ED videos. If I want to record gameplay, but am also using the OR at the same time, is there a way to record "normal single image screen gameplay" or will it only ever record what the OR is displaying (i.e. dual distorted images)?

I use Shadowplay to record if that helps. :S

Last edited:
Got a question in regards to OR and making ED videos. If I want to record gameplay, but am also using the OR at the same time, is there a way to record "normal single image screen gameplay" or will it only ever record what the OR is displaying (i.e. dual distorted images)?

I use Shadowplay to record if that helps. :S

It will only record what the Rift is showing.

Some people use video editing software to crop either the left of right image, so you only have a single Rift video. But that's usually quite low resolution.

The 'clearness' of text, and the visual field in general with the occulus rift is very sensitive to correct positioning of the lenses in front of your eyes, I've found. If I have the headset set too high/low vertically on my face it can seriously affect the sharpness of the image, such as it is. When demoing the rift, getting someone into it and calibrating it, I can say 'Ok, so it all seems good right?' and generally get a 'yes' answer. Then suggest they try adjusting the position of the headset a little higher/lower, and you will find they can almost always find a 'sweet spot' where the image looks as good as it can and better than they originally had.

SlackR

Banned
I doubt we will see this implemented, but EVE Valkyrie has a really cool VR missile function...

You launch the missile with your eyes! Looking at the missile and pressing at the same time sends the missile to the target you were focused on...
I've heard people say its the most immersive aspect of the game.

Too much of an advantage to those using the rift in ED I guess, but still such a great idea and very appropriate for the future tech of the ED universe... :cool:

For some DK2 Buyers a bad News (not for all):

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10044

Only 10k would be shipped in July, first Units arrive Mid July. I bought it 2 Weeks later, can't buy it at the first day, so I'm pretty sure I must wait until August. :(

Actually it is worse than that even.

10K have been manufactured so far, but if I am reading it correctly only half of that is going to the standard distributors for the 1st batch..

Also, whilst it IS going in date of order, it will only be in so far as for each region, so imagine (I dont know how many distribution centres there are) but lets say

1) North America
2)South America
3) Asia
4) europe
5) Everywhere else

then that will only mean potentially 1000 for each centre.

I am not trying to be deliberately pessimistic, I am just trying to manage my expectations so if I don't get in the 1st round I am not too disappointed.

(order made Mar 19, 2014 11:24 AM PDT which I think is day 1, apparently there were over 12k orders in the 1st 36hrs)

I might have to order it soon get it for August

my gut feeling is, if some of the current ETA July orders (which were made in March) are not going to make it till August delivery, then I would say there is little chance of orders made today reaching you in August.

I am not trying to be deliberately pessimistic, I am just trying to manage my expectations so if I don't get in the 1st round I am not too disappointed.

(order made Mar 19, 2014 11:24 AM PDT which I think is day 1, apparently there were over 12k orders in the 1st 36hrs)

First ones were about Mar 19, 2014 08:15 AM PDT. But there was ordering page problem. So you made your order in about first 3 hours. Mine was Mar 19, 2014 09:12 AM PDT. I'm hopeful that I could made the first batch... but you never know.

It's all guesswork from here... I look forward to seeing the first posts of people as they get their emails saying stock allocated in the distribution center... and then how long they take to arrive. Particularly interesting in anyone from the UK.

I ordered early on day 2 - 20th @ 6.43am so fingers crossed for July but I'm not holding my breath.

Make sure you post chaps and chappesses!

Most people expecting July are likely to be disappointed.
Only 5,000 are going out in July.
Those 5,000 are spread across geographic areas so it's likely to be only 1,000 for Europe (maybe less).
Japan get preferential treatment for some reason so it might not even be 1,000 if they get the lions share.

If you were very quick with your preorder you may be in with a shout but I'm now tempering my expectations that I won't receive mine till late August (ordered mine of the 25th of March).
If you've got a August ETA currently I'd now consider September as an ETA unless they really ramp up production.

Bit gutted by the news as I was excited to get it in July but stuff happens.

p.s. 12,500 preorders where made in the first 36 hours, 25,000 made in the first month, to give you perspective.

Last edited:
Most people expecting July are likely to be disappointed.
Only 5,000 are going out in July.
Those 5,000 are spread across geographic areas so it's likely to be only 1,000 for Europe (maybe less).
Japan get preferential treatment for some reason so it might not even be 1,000 if they get the lions share.

If you were very quick with your preorder you may be in with a shout but I'm now tempering my expectations that I won't receive mine till late August (ordered mine of the 25th of March).
If you've got a August ETA currently I'd now consider September as an ETA unless they really ramp up production.

Bit gutted by the news as I was excited to get it in July but stuff happens.

p.s. 12,500 preorders where made in the first 36 hours, 25,000 made in the first month, to give you perspective.

Where do you get the 5000 number from? In the Post on OR forum, they say 10k.

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10044&p=129463#p129463

Where do you get the 5000 number from? In the Post on OR forum, they say 10k.

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10044&p=129463#p129463

I think he means this bit - "We expect to ship roughly 10,000 DK2s from the factory in July, with just over half of the units through distribution centers and on their way to doorsteps before the end of the month" - implying, perhaps that the other half is going straight to bona fide developers? Or maybe it just means that the other half are shipping via means outside the distribution centres. :S

Back
Top Bottom