ED Astrometrics: Maps and Visualizations

I started looking into this and ran into some problems. All of the perl libraries and tools that my scripts need do exist for Windows, but they require a lot of troubleshooting to install. I got halfway through trying to install everything, and decided that I can't expect everyone else to go through this. So I'm left with either learning .NET (or something similar) to write it more natively for Windows, or just forget the whole thing. We'll see. It probably would work best as a plugin for EDDiscovery or something. I'm not yet sure what's involved with that.

Another possibility is that I run it on my server, but have people upload journals, instead of looking at EDD or EDSM data. This has the virtue of working with my existing code, plus allowing people to easily pick date ranges if they want (by selecting which journals to upload), and not requiring people to have already used EDD or EDSM. I can envision this as queuing up requests, deleting the uploaded journals once the video is ready, and then giving a temporary download link (large files will have to be expired off the server). I'm starting to like this idea.

Still investigating setting this up as a service, so nothing new to report on that yet, but the video process itself now has a zoomed-in view (10kly wide) around the bubble. As a result, it's skipping over fewer jumps, so the video length is back up a bit, but there's more to see.

[video=youtube;YXEQKP99BG0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXEQKP99BG0[/video]

I am in awe of these maps. The star forge, commander preferences, data mining, and presentation all come together here to answer all kinds of questions I had and inspire new questions. How much of the oddities visible in some of the mass code maps are down to star forge bias vs commander bias? Many exploration voyages will be shaped by questions arising from these charts. Well done and thank you!

Alright, let's give this a shot! I'm considering this to very much be in a BETA state, but I have a service running to generate video travel histories.

Right now it works by uploading all of the relevant journal/log files, of which you might have quite a few. I've been testing with my own, numbering nearly 800. I set a hard cap at 10,000 journal files (but the web browser may have a limit I don't know about), and at 600 seconds (10 minutes) worth of video. Later, I think it might be better to make an uploader that uses javascript in the web page that will scan your journals and upload only the entries that I need. But for now, this works. The journal files are stored temporarily, and eventually expire off of the server, and are not made public.

http://elite.necrobones.com/vid/travelvideo

If you have any feedback or bug reports, please feel free to post here or PM me.

Last edited:
Hey, Orvidius, do you have enough information to do plots of star distribution by the age of the system? That would be very interesting!

Hey, Orvidius, do you have enough information to do plots of star distribution by the age of the system? That would be very interesting!

I think so! Each star has an "age" field. Assuming the ages are well populated, I probably could do some colorizing that way. I'll have to take a closer look to be sure though.

Ta. I meant to ask this myself.

I was wondering whether it could reveal something about how the thin and thick disks are represented. The thick disk stars are supposed to be older (>10 billion years.)

Alright, let's give this a shot! I'm considering this to very much be in a BETA state, but I have a service running to generate video travel histories.

Right now it works by uploading all of the relevant journal/log files, of which you might have quite a few. I've been testing with my own, numbering nearly 800. I set a hard cap at 10,000 journal files (but the web browser may have a limit I don't know about), and at 600 seconds (10 minutes) worth of video. Later, I think it might be better to make an uploader that uses javascript in the web page that will scan your journals and upload only the entries that I need. But for now, this works. The journal files are stored temporarily, and eventually expire off of the server, and are not made public.

http://elite.necrobones.com/vid/travelvideo

If you have any feedback or bug reports, please feel free to post here or PM me.

Oh my god ... dude ... this is frickin' awesome! I just tried it with my 2018 journal logs and it worked an absolute treat. Currently uploading a much longer travel history and will post the resulting video once it's complete. People are going to go completely nuts over this I suspect! I want to publicise it on my "Best of Forum" thread but am also aware that, if word gets out too quickly, your server might get swamped. What do you think?

Oh my god ... dude ... this is frickin' awesome! I just tried it with my 2018 journal logs and it worked an absolute treat. Currently uploading a much longer travel history and will post the resulting video once it's complete. People are going to go completely nuts over this I suspect! I want to publicise it on my "Best of Forum" thread but am also aware that, if word gets out too quickly, your server might get swamped. What do you think?

I'd say go ahead. I'll need some good tests of what it can manage. I can always switch it off if it gets to be too much, but right now it's set up to queue the requests and process one at a time, and it'll tell people to come back later if there are 10 jobs in the queue. So the server shouldn't fall over. :)

OK, here's mine (from 26.10.3302 - 09.02.3304). Alas too late to include my Sag A* Buckyball trip it's a tad pathetic compared to some of the proper explorers out there but I can't tell you how happy I am with this little video. Thanks Orvidius, this absolutely rocks and I'll be adding it to my "Best of Forum" thread ASAP.

[video=youtube_share;Y-jVW7g2rfo]https://youtu.be/Y-jVW7g2rfo[/video]

OK, here's mine (from 26.10.3302 - 09.02.3304). Alas too late to include my Sag A* Buckyball trip it's a tad pathetic compared to some of the proper explorers out there but I can't tell you how happy I am with this little video. Thanks Orvidius, this absolutely rocks and I'll be adding it to my "Best of Forum" thread ASAP.

https://youtu.be/Y-jVW7g2rfo

Edit: now added - click my sig' to get to my thread.

Just jumping in to rep and thank you CMDR Orvidius, this is a fantastic piece of work, I've just generated the video of my wanderings now.

Cool - there are some interesting square blotches in there already, could you do ones for each age group (and perhaps add an "age 0" group right at the bottom?) please?

Cool - there are some interesting square blotches in there already, could you do ones for each age group (and perhaps add an "age 0" group right at the bottom?) please?

I have the maps generating now, but they're going super slowly, since there's a big database update running on the EDSM Bodies data. We'll see how long it takes for them to generate. Interestingly, the ages are stored as integer millions, none of which are actually zero. The smallest age in the database is 1 MY (with over 26 thousand stars with nulls (no data)). I have the age ranges divided up by powers of 10, so my "zero" batch includes everything under 10 MY of age. I'm also generating another galactic height graph, but I won't know if it's calculating correctly until the batch completes.

This should be pretty cool when it's ready.

Last edited:
Top Bottom